Okw or ssr

Vader-was-framed

Earning My Ears
Looks like my family will be point pinching in summer of 2019. So for a week in studio will be either ssr or okw. Which would you chose.

OMG OKW! I'm not a fan of the two beds but many others like that option. I'm just not a fan of SSR - feels like an apartment complex.

I would pick SSR. There are elevators in all buildings! I like the food assortment at Artist Pallet.

OMG OKW! I'm not a fan of the two beds but many others like that option. I'm just not a fan of SSR - feels like an apartment complex.

I agree we did not like SSR for the same reason . Stayed at OKW 2 years ago and loved it .

Looks like my family will be point pinching in summer of 2019. So for a week in studio will be either ssr or okw. Which would you chose.

Look at the sleeping setup for each. OKW has two queen beds in their studios. SSR has a bed and a pullout. Not sure if they have a pullout chair, but I don't think OKW does. See what will work better for you.

I like both resorts!

Thank you all for you responses. My family really is 50/50 on this resort question. So everything you all brought up will be what we talk about.

I really like both, so tough choice. Both have locations close to Disney Springs, so not much difference there. Personally, I like the 2 beds in a Studio (OKW) versus the pullout. It's really a 50/50 for me too, so if I HAD to choose just one, I would say Old Key West. Either way you go though, I think you will be happy.

With the changes to the transportation system at Disney Springs, I now find added value to SSR, OKW and both of the Port Orleans resorts when I am planning on visiting there during a trip. I focus mostly on the Marketplace shops and hardly have any need to venture much future out than that. I hate how they now have the buses centered to drop off and pick up in the middle of the area, and what a walk you might have for pick up if your resort is on the last of the list. We were staying at POFQ once but wanted to go eat lunch and check out AoA after we shopped, and we learned that the hard way. AoA was next to the very last on the list, and boy that extra time spent just getting to picked up was not making my family happy at all.

My husband is very pleased when we have a boat to Disney Springs as an option for transport there.

I like the SSR preferred rooms, because I really like the short walk to DS. However, I wasn't excited about the couch at SSR. It was pretty uncomfortable to sit on. We didn't open it up to try sleeping on it, but I've heard others say it's not great. So, that might be something to consider.

Happy planning!!

At airport now leaving from an OKW studio trip. We like the double beds and resort is awesome! But it is our home resort and truly love it there.

After a lot of angst, I decided to go with OKW for my last trip for the larger space. But I ended up not being able to get OKW so "settled" for SSR. While it was more cramped, we really did enjoy the close walk to Disney Springs and did the walk quite frequently over our 2 week stay. And grabbed food from Artist Palette very frequently. Looking back, SSR was the right choice for us due to both those factors.

OKW pros: lush landscaping, not quite as densely developed, larger units, two queen beds in studios.

SSR pros: much better CS option, easier access to Disney Springs, pull-out makes room a little more flexible

I think the landscaping and such at SSR is more appealing than at OKW, but that is just me.

SSR owner so I’m biased. I will say that I found OKW very isolating and not easy to walk. It felt like a car was a must. At SSR the walking paths are well laid out and the internal bus system is frequent. We like Artis Palette better than Olivia’s and the pools at SSR had better water features. For size, OKW is bigger but when we trade amenities for size, SSR wins.

OKW will not have 2 beds post refurb. It is reportedly (numerous people now been told by CMs) having 1 bed and 1 sofa bed. However sofa beds will be new, as will all room decor, so it should be really nice.
New type of sofa beds are currently being trialled at SSR including a fantastic Murphy sofa bed which is as good as a real bed to sleep on and folds down in seconds. What is not known is whether OKW would get these sofa beds, or standard ones and whether SSR will be the first to get the Murphy sofa bed version if they are rolled out, which I expect they will be due to great feedback.
Studios at OKW would be big enough to get a 1 person murphy as well, but not known if they are going in post refurb (no indication they are). 2 people reported guides telling them earlier this year that in its revamp SSR gets a Murphy, but they may or may not have been referring to the Murphy sofa or maybe the single murphy.
Ideal scenario would be both get a Murphy sofa and the TV unit with Murphy bed under, but I doubt we will get that lucky.
I expect SSR refurb will start, late 2018 or early 2019, but just a guess. May hear more at the condo meeting.
I like both resorts, OKW laid back tropical feel, SSR Victorian splendour. I own SSR, and the walk to DS is a big plus. But if OKW is fully refurbed well, rooms may be some of the best on property given their size and I think it’s popularity will increase above SSR until SSRs rooms are refurbed.
If SSR gets the Murphy sofas and OKW doesn’t, I think for many that will put SSR studios above OKW studios once both are refurbed.
So I’d wait and see what is happening before making your decision.

Our last night was at OKW. The room felt like a dated holiday inn express, although the beds were very very comfortable. Sand at the pool needed raking to remove debris, desperately. Everything about the room was so dated it was sad. No Disney touches.

I can't figure out how BRV / BWV / BCV were refurbished when they were in much better shape than OKW imo.

Same condo complex feeling as SSR, the "goods to go" QS was meh at best. Ordered a tuna sandwich, they don't even put the tuna ON the sandwich. You get it in a plastic container on the side. I understand why it's not preassembled but I expected it to be on the bread when I order it. Same thing for the shrimp caesar salad ... shrimp is served in a plastic container.

Looking forward to returning post refurb!

Not sure the refurbishment will be done by summer 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter