OKW - Which Buildings

SuzGM84

Mouseketeer
Looking at the OKW map and debating which building(s) we'd like to request for our trip (provided we can switch all our rooms to OKW at the 7 month mark - I know, I know, I'm planning super far out, but isn't that all the Disney fun?!)

Ideally, I'd like something close to a quiet pool (aka not the main pool) but within decent walking distance to the Hospitality House (approx. 10 min walk). Buildings 17-20 look like they'd fit the bill, but they also appear close to the main road. What's everyone's thoughts on being close to the main road there? Or are there other buildings that fall into the near a quiet pool but sorta close to the main building category? We've never stayed at OKW so we don't know how far things *really* are. I'm just guessing based on the map...

Our favorite buildings are 16, 17, and 18 (not 19 and 20). Those aren't close to the main road. However, the Miller's road bus stop is the last stop and if you use a scooter, that may be an issue. Sometimes from there, I'd "scoot" over to the Peninsular Road bus stop.

Thanks @Simba's Mom for the tips! While no one in our party will have a scooter, we will have a stroller (for the first time!). Can I ask why you prefer 16-18 over 19 and 20? We're fairly new DVC members and still learning the ins and outs and what parts of resorts are better for certain situations, etc. Thanks!

It IS because of the potential for road noise in 19 and 20. I've read a couple complaints from people in those buildings about road noise. I've also experienced road noise in Buildings 51, 52, and especially 40.

Building 18 every time for us!
I think 19 & 20 are where the buses turn around.

What buildings have good access to a decent pool AND some type of food service?

The HH area buildings are your best choice for pool and food. 2nd would be Turtle Shack area, they have more pool/play ground activities and a seasonal snack area. The other polls are nice but no food and limited activities, which may be a plus depending on what you are looking for.

Follow up OKW question. I was perusing the room layouts on touring plans the other night and it looks like most buildings have 4 studios in them max. And that's if those studios are not used for 2BR lock-offs (I'm assuming OKW has 2BR lock-offs?). DH and I's intention is to get 4 studios for the family (so each smaller family unit has their own space). I'm getting concerned that if we do decide to switch to OKW that we won't even be able to get into buildings near each other. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Your concern is valid, the odds of any resort having 4 studios near each other is slim at best. At OKW it's even less likely due to the building layoff.

Your concern is valid, the odds of any resort having 4 studios near each other is slim at best. At OKW it's even less likely due to the building layoff.

Agreed! SSR appears to have 8 studios on most floors, with 4 floors in each building, that's the possibility of 32 studios in a building (if none are taken for 2BR lock-offs). Those are much better odds IMO. I'm personally leaning towards the SSR option (its our home resort and so I foresee no problem booking 4 studios at 11mos). However, OKW is cheaper points-wise and a resort we haven't been to yet - so we're torn on what to do!

Follow up OKW question. I was perusing the room layouts on touring plans the other night and it looks like most buildings have 4 studios in them max. And that's if those studios are not used for 2BR lock-offs (I'm assuming OKW has 2BR lock-offs?). DH and I's intention is to get 4 studios for the family (so each smaller family unit has their own space). I'm getting concerned that if we do decide to switch to OKW that we won't even be able to get into buildings near each other. Has anyone had a similar situation?
Not even near each other? Really? I have yet to even lay eyes on my home resort, but that would be a bummer.

Most of the studios are at the ends of the buildings. There are maybe three buildings with studios next to each other. These buildings are U shaped and the studios next to each other are located in the corners of the U (it's a square U shape). These studios do not have a window on the wall next to the bed, opposite the door to the patio since these walls are shared walls. Just the patio door. They are all lockoffs to one bedrooms. These are usually three story buildings with four studios on each floor. Two at each bend of the U.

If the building only has two floors, it might only have two studios on each floor, one on each end. They will be a lockoff to a one bedroom.

Maybe I misspoke when I said "near each other"? I know we won't have rooms literally next to each other. I just don't want us to spread out throughout the whole resort. Ideally, it'd be nice to be in the same building, but as long as we're buildings that are close/share the same pool, I think it will work! :)

We like the Old Turtle Pond Road area. Old Turtle Pond pool is quiet, the Turtle Shack is there for food and drinks, and it's only a half mile walk to the Hospitality House (about 10 minutes give or take, depending on your pace).

There's also a small play area with slides by the Old Turtle Pond Pool.

Millers Road area is easily our favorite. The quiet pool is great, the bus stop is extremely convenient. We have stayed in most buildings along Millers Road and don't find noise to be an issue...I wouldnt say its extremely quiet by any means, but we just expect some noise while we are in the Land of the Mouse!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!