Ol' Tiggerdad is NO LONGER officially homeless

Man that sucks. Newer does not mean better, or easier to work on.

Oh, and I have not officially ruled out Class C either. Anybody with any experience with them? Funny thing I noticed is the Class A gas burners seem to have same engine as the class C models, but much more weight (more room too). I've been repeatedly told to avoid gas burning Class As, I figure due to weakness? I did see some class Cs with not only the bunk over the cab, but also with bunk beds along with the master in the rear. DW and I were talking and really want to make longer trips out West but part of what has kept us from that was the worry of being strapped into truck for such long distance where if we had ability to get up and use restroom, make sandwich, etc along the way would it be more enjoyable. Looking into prices, for the cost of the 5th wheel, I could likely get into something few years used.

Keeping my options open. We have cruise in July and work is keeping my vacation options down this year so no rush on the camper for sure now. This will allow more time for research and down payment accumulation.

Just looking for input and opinions. All are welcome either for or against.

Michael,

I'm strongly considering getting a Class A when the truck dies. Friends bought a Windsport (Thor) MH, brand new- It's a gasser (Ford V10) and weighs about 21,000. That's a little less than my truck/trailer combined (22,200). They say it does drives fine and they plan on pulling a toad on a dolly. I'm not sure what kind of mileage they get. Friends DH is an OTR truck driver and doesn't drive the MH much over 55-60. I suspect he'd get much better than I would driving it. :-)

They bought the Windsport, brand new for $103,000. That's a lot less than a new truck and my 5er. I can get a used (2014-2015) Allegro Red DP for $125-150,000. Just have to decide if I do that, get a condo in Gulf Shores or look for a used truck when it's time.

j

Last edited:
@tiggerdad, can give you our experiences. Our first Class A was a diesel and won't get into why we won't own another one, but we've had two gas ones since. We've had our current 2014 Winnebago Sightseer (Ford V10 engine) for 4 years and absolutely love it - 5spd. transmission 7mpg. Even though the diesel has more power for inclines, they both are about the same for getting up to speed, towing or not.

Also, as you'd know diesels are more expensive initially, plus the fuel is much more expensive, while the additional mileage is not that much greater. Also, remember the additive costs that add up.

Another plus - maybe just to dh - is the ability to do lots of the maintenance himself.

There has been great improvements in the gas models since we test drove our first one several years ago - noise level being one, with engine up front - not bothersome at all. Also, our mh is heavier - more stable than some older ones.

We have owned every kind out there - from vans, pop ups, trailers, 5th wheels - and we'd never go back. Exception is Class C - we are small people, but cabs still felt cramped on long trips for us - I 'have' to stretch out - lol. Love the availability of 'everything' with mh's whether on the road or stopped.

Just our opinions/experiences for what they're worth :) We all need to get what works for us, is livable, and makes us happy! Good luck!

Last edited:

Interesting, I had always heard poor performance reports on the gas Class A models. That's why I asked.

Yeah Jim, talking about truck dying, if this 250 continues in its current money pit trend I'm fixing to see it, take the profit and buy me an older Toyota and then spend the money on something to camp in that I can drive. I'm just looking at the cost of new trailer and it really isn't far off from what a few year old Class C or couple year old gas burner Class A. I'd have to have a vehicle to tow if I went with either of them.

Anyone else got input? These two were good view and things to consider.

Michael my 2 cents on Class A Gasser. Our old Holiday Rambler , 2007 Ambassador was like your 250 a constant repair bill, That needed parts that were obsolete and near impossible to find. We got about 8.5-9 mpg Jump to 2 years ago got the 2015 TIFFIN Allegro Open Road 36 LA a gasser, Now get just a bout 7mpg drive 65-70 mph. Rarely use the cruise control better control speeding up slowing down on hills. Have been advised to change to synthetic oil next time I change and should see some improvement or so they tell me.

Our 1st coach was a class A Bounder with Ford V10. Great engine, drawback was 3 speed with overdrive. Every time I had to accelerate it would downshift from O/D to 2nd gear. Big rpm jump.
2nd coach was a class A Southwind. GM 502, also a good motor, it had an Allison 5 speed. Big difference for towing and drivability.
Present coach is class A Fleetwood Excursion. It is a diesel because of size, (40') with an Allison 6 speed.
IMHO it isn't always the engine, gas or diesel, but the transmission that makes the difference in driving and towing.
Diesel fuel costs more, so that can be a factor depending on size of coach.
I would definitely look for good used rig. Unless we win the lottery, I don't see any way we could afford new. :scared:

I hear they were phasing out pig fuel. Who knows if or when it will happen. And im reading , for knowlage, not having owned or even afford a big camper! I do drive a few trucks.

Our 1st coach was a class A Bounder with Ford V10. Great engine, drawback was 3 speed with overdrive. Every time I had to accelerate it would downshift from O/D to 2nd gear. Big rpm jump.
2nd coach was a class A Southwind. GM 502, also a good motor, it had an Allison 5 speed. Big difference for towing and drivability.
Present coach is class A Fleetwood Excursion. It is a diesel because of size, (40') with an Allison 6 speed.
Great points on considering the whole drivetrain as a package. The Allison is the one thing that would get me to consider a GM... Na, just kidding, although the Allison is pretty nice.

What kind of fuel mileage did you get between the different rigs. For trucks towing bigger trailers, the difference is pretty dramatic between gas vs diesel.

j

What kind of fuel mileage did you get between the different rigs.
The V10 was the worst at 5-6 (I think because of trans). 502 6-7. If I don't drive stupid fast diesel is 7-8, funny thing is, it's no different if I'm solo or pulling trailer.
I have squeezed 9 out of it on open flat road, no wind in Nebraska

I hear they were phasing out pig fuel. Who knows if or when it will happen. And im reading , for knowlage, not having owned or even afford a big camper! I do drive a few trucks.

Can't say I can afford either! But still looking.

Biggest difference for us between Class C & A for us is in a Class C you have the motor between you and the front. If the unthinkable accident happens that would make us feel better. I don't know the statistics as far as accidents. As far as gas v diesel (super C), it depends on your toad.

Biggest difference for us between Class C & A for us is in a Class C you have the motor between you and the front. If the unthinkable accident happens that would make us feel better. I don't know the statistics as far as accidents. As far as gas v diesel (super C), it depends on your toad.

Very true, but not sure any advantage or disadvantage after seeing some head on crashes in different type passenger vehicles. Class A's are 'buses' for what that's worth, not a passenger truck.
They're all relatively safe - think it all boils down to how you (general) feel about your own vehicle. They are all vulnerable on our highways unfortunately, so we each have to do the best we can.

The V10 was the worst at 5-6 (I think because of trans). 502 6-7. If I don't drive stupid fast diesel is 7-8, funny thing is, it's no different if I'm solo or pulling trailer.
I have squeezed 9 out of it on open flat road, no wind in Nebraska

my first dually was the V-10, towing out west in SD into a head wind, i watched the fuel gauge go down. agree with the 5-6. Now my 2017 diesel, It is very fuel friendly compared to the V-10, we get 12 on the easy pull to FW. Averaged 8-9 on last trip to Wyoming and Utah through the mountains

Hence the reason for our small truck, in an accident the engine is designed to submarine in the frame pushing the cab up and over.

Very true, but not sure any advantage or disadvantage after seeing some head on crashes in different type passenger vehicles. Class A's are 'buses' for what that's worth, not a passenger truck.
They're all relatively safe - think it all boils down to how you (general) feel about your own vehicle. They are all vulnerable on our highways unfortunately, so we each have to do the best we can.

I drove over the road back in the early 90's to pay my way through nursing school. I drove one of my uncle's rigs, a cab over International similar to this:

28262059212_ac568f5e7d_b.jpg

We were joked about. They used to say we "were first on scene of the accident". I can admit, driving it gave a great point of view when it came to close maneuvers, but did think alot about accidents and lack of any "crumple" between me and the object hit.

The advantage, that I would imagine would be class A "views" when driving would be better.

I drove over the road back in the early 90's to pay my way through nursing school. I drove one of my uncle's rigs, a cab over International similar to this:

We were joked about. They used to say we "were first on scene of the accident". I can admit, driving it gave a great point of view when it came to close maneuvers, but did think alot about accidents and lack of any "crumple" between me and the object hit.

The advantage, that I would imagine would be class A "views" when driving would be better.

The view from a Class A is pretty good, having driven commercial buses of this type. Our test was to back up and pull thru a course of cones, at 35mph on the forward part. The bus was 100 inches wide, the cones were set at 102 inches.

I think any type is easier to drive then when your towing something that articulates. 2 inch clearances is atually, crazy so good job on that!.

The bumpers on the bus type campers i imagine to be pretty substantial. I wouldent worry unless you collide with something that is as big or bigger ( weight and size) then your vehicle.

The bumpers on the bus type campers i imagine to be pretty substantial.
Mine is a 2004 and there is no steel behind the fiberglass front end, just the end of the frame rails and the generator. Maybe the newer ones are better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter