Olaf's Frozen Adventure being pulled out of theaters due to complaints

What happened to that?

not sure if we ever got/ever will get the official story but the understanding is that it was originally developed to be a TV special (which is why it was ~22mins long as that is how long the content for a 1/2 hour TV show is) but then they decided to use it before Coco - with the assumption being that it would draw in audiences as they were unsure as to how popular Coco would be / didn't have the best ad campaign for it

Glad we caught both in the theater yesterday before they pull Olaf. Enjoyed them both, as did my son. Is it the change required in attention span that is annoying people? What if there was no short but Coco had been 20 minutes longer than the final edited version? I thought it was strange we only saw 6 previews before the Olaf short commenced, I've been to movies the first opening 2 weeks where 8-9 previews are shown...

Not sure if it is just the attention span thing but I think it is two main things (from what i have seen in various comments)
- it is just too long, especially when you are not expecting it. So if you are used to a 5 minute short and then this goes for 20+ mins you get thrown off (I saw some people said they actually left and checked to confirm they were in the right theater/to see the right movie)
- The tone wasn't right for a emotional / semi-serious movie in Coco. If you think about most of the Pixar shorts they tend to have an emotional quality to them - people just felt the silliness of this "short" didn't match the tone of Coco

Lastly, i think some people are just over Frozen and would have complained about it anyway - just with the length they have "more" to complain about

Last edited:

If it hadn't have been for the frozen short I would have waited for coco on DVD or Disney channel. I went to see the short and then the movie. I enjoyed the short more and would watch it again. The movie was good but I doubt I'll watch it again. So it goes both ways and if they put the short to get people in it worked at least once.

Seems like Disney didn't learn from ESPN's fee structure that if you force too much on the consumer they will eventually revolt.

If it hadn't have been for the frozen short I would have waited for coco on DVD or Disney channel. I went to see the short and then the movie. I enjoyed the short more and would watch it again. The movie was good but I doubt I'll watch it again. So it goes both ways and if they put the short to get people in it worked at least once.

I'm the opposite. I'm waiting for Coco to come out on disc because of Disney forcing the short on theaters/patrons.

IF that is true then we won't be going to see coco. Was looking forward to both the short and movie. Oh well money saved
Coca is absolutely worth seeing without the Frozen short - the visuals are really beautiful and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.
I did not know about the Olaf Christmas Special (it was not a "short") when I went to Coco this weekend. If this had been a 30 minute special on ABC, I think I would have liked it.

But mentally, after years of training by Pixar, I was ready for five minutes of silliness or cuteness and then the feature presentation. It was rather ominous that the opening full length song wasn't even about Olaf. Once I figured out that it was not going to be a classic "short", I found myself squirming for the remainder of the special.

Now, once Coco got started, I was immediately captivated. So all was good. I just wish I had known to expect 20 minutes of Frozen.
:worship::worship::worship: Couldn't agree more! Coco was so sweet and meaningful, such a sharp contrast to the Frozen "short."
I'm the opposite. I'm waiting for Coco to come out on disc because of Disney forcing the short on theaters/patrons.
::yes:: The best thing I got out of the Frozen thing was that I had my husband on one side of me who absolutely HATED it and a woman on my other side who also absolutely HATED it - so listening to their annoyed (whispered) comments was pretty hilarious, way more entertaining than the short itself.

I've seen statements like this that go both ways. Might be nice if they gave you the options (like some showings would have it, others wouldn't) or like another suggested but the Olaf "short" at the end so people that want to see it can but you don't have to sit through it if you don't

There isn't anything "short" about a 20-minute animated special. Ummmm that's an entire EPISODE of kids' TV. Knowing this, and knowing my DD's attention span, we have not attempted to take her to the movies.

Walt Disney Animation, so sorry that you pumped your entire budget into fake snow and blue dresses, but the consumer is SICK of it now, and we would like to move onto something else now... pleeeeeeeeeeeeease don't force the content down our throats... ugh.

I did not know about the Olaf Christmas Special (it was not a "short") when I went to Coco this weekend. If this had been a 30 minute special on ABC, I think I would have liked it.
I suspect the Olaf Christmas Special was made specifically to be broadcast on ABC in future years as a 30 minute special. 20 minutes of content and 10 minutes of commercials.

There were 2 places I noticed during the special that would work for commercial breaks.

I suspect the Olaf Christmas Special was made specifically to be broadcast on ABC in future years as a 30 minute special. 20 minutes of content and 10 minutes of commercials.

There were 2 places I noticed during the special that would work for commercial breaks.

This was my exactly feeling watching the short. It definitely felt like a made for tv Christmas special. I think the intent was to turn into something on people's list of things they watch with their family every Christmas. It seems like almost all shows/movies like that are pretty old with the exception of maybe Elf and Polar Express. I'm surprised more Christmas classics or attempts at them don't show up more often. The old ones have to fade and be replaced eventually.

Darn, I should have waited it out! There were five in our party on Saturday for Coco, and we all thought the short was way too long and really didn't enjoy it.

I haven't seen it yet. On one hand I did want to see the Frozen short, on the other hand I was worried about my 4 year old daughter being able to sit through almost 2 1/2 hours. I wish they would have just broadcast the Frozen short on TV.

My other thoughts on it are that there was some cultural insensitivity to put Frozen before Coco. It gives some the impression that they felt Coco would not get enough interest on it's own, so they put Frozen in front of it to get a bigger audience. I am not saying that was the intention, but to some it appeared that way.

I haven't seen it yet. On one hand I did want to see the Frozen short, on the other hand I was worried about my 4 year old daughter being able to sit through almost 2 1/2 hours. I wish they would have just broadcast the Frozen short on TV.

My other thoughts on it are that there was some cultural insensitivity to put Frozen before Coco. It gives some the impression that they felt Coco would not get enough interest on it's own, so they put Frozen in front of it to get a bigger audience. I am not saying that was the intention, but to some it appeared that way.

I think the definitely attached the Frozen short to attract attention to the film ... not sure if it is culturally insensitive on their part though - I don't think they thought Coco might struggle because of it being focused on the Mexican Culture - more that it isn't a Princess movie and they just aren't sure what the market will be for non-princess movies. They had the same issue/worry with Zootopia for example

not sure if we ever got/ever will get the official story but the understanding is that it was originally developed to be a TV special (which is why it was ~22mins long as that is how long the content for a 1/2 hour TV show is) but then they decided to use it before Coco - with the assumption being that it would draw in audiences as they were unsure as to how popular Coco would be / didn't have the best ad campaign for it
Can’t confirm they marketed coco terribly

so have they announced when it will be on tv yet?
I'd assume next Christmas

As for my own opinion I enjoyed the adorable marketing ploy that was Olaf's Frozen Adventure then again I also grew up in a time when Disney would do limited engagement double features to promote new films (I remember seeing Lion King alongside Angels in the Outfield and Beauty and the Beast alongside Newsies in theaters growing up) so the featurette gave me nostalgic vibes to those

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter