Old Key West?

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
Hi. Has anyone stayed at Old Key West with a wheelchair or ecv? What is the first bus stop? Are there elevators? Does the bus share with other resorts? ThNk you

I have stayed with a friend in a wheel chair there are not elevators so you need to have a Handicap room. I think we were the first stop but not sure we never had a problem getting on a bus. The only time I have was with another friend in a ECV we were leaving the MK and there was two people already in line ( and no one else but there family) the CM at the stop called for another bus and about 5 minute latter the first buss came and 1 minute after this out bus came we were loaded and on our why before they loaded the second person in the ECV infant of us. I have heard that if you are waiting for a buss and can not get on because you are in a wheel chair ECV they will get another bus for you. This is the only time this has happened to us and we go a lot

There are no elevators. If you need a wheelchair accessible room, I believe those are on the first floor. There are varying types of accessible rooms and not all are first floor. So if you don't need a wheelchair room, I believe you will need to call and note your reservation as requiring first floor. @SueM in MN has stayed at OKW with a wheelchair.

Enjoy your vacation!

There are a couple buildings with elevators. I stayed in 61 or 62 and had an elevator. I would recommend requesting one of those buildings with a note that you have a ecv

Last edited:
I've stayed at OKW only once with an ECV, and I had real concerns beforehand, but it was fine. We stayed in building 47, so we used the Southpoint bus stop. I found that to be a great area for someone using an ECV, because the Southpoint bus stop is second for pick ups, after Peninsula Road. Although Miller Road has our favorite views, it's one of the last bus stops, and if the bus is full of its capacity of ECVs, you have to wait for the next bus, as happened one day. We were on the first floor, since there are elevators in only 3 buildings (not ours), and one reason we love the higher floors is for better views, we had a great view. The only problem was pick up and drop off of the ECV. I had to drop the ECV off at the HH, after which returning to my villa was difficult (it just occurred to me-why didn't I go to the front desk and ask for a golf cart ride?).

Buildings 62, 63, and 64 have elevators. Near Hospitality House, but not HH area.

First stop for the park is Peninsular Road. Last stop before leaving the resort is Hospitality House, which is the first and last stops on the Disney Springs bus. It doubles as the internal bus.

eta: have stayed at OKW twice with an ECV. FIrst trip, I was assigned to a partly accessible room with a high bed I had to lie across and pull myself in. Moved next day to an accessible room with an accessible bed:) at the far end of building 25 or 26.

The other trip, I was in building 13 - roll-in shower, typical height beds. Rather than try to move from such a great location, I called Maintenance. While I was out, someone came and took apart one of the beds.

Last edited:
I have stayed with a friend in a wheel chair there are not elevators so you need to have a Handicap room. I think we were the first stop but not sure we never had a problem getting on a bus. The only time I have was with another friend in a ECV we were leaving the MK and there was two people already in line ( and no one else but there family) the CM at the stop called for another bus and about 5 minute latter the first buss came and 1 minute after this out bus came we were loaded and on our why before they loaded the second person in the ECV infant of us. I have heard that if you are waiting for a buss and can not get on because you are in a wheel chair ECV they will get another bus for you. This is the only time this has happened to us and we go a lot
Guests with wheelchairs or ECVs don't need a handicapped room unless they actually need the features of the handicapped accessible rooms.
If you don't need the features like roll in shower, any first floor room will work. The doorways are no wider in the accessibile room than the regular rooms. The layout is the same except the arrangement of the bathroom in the villas with roll in showers.
OKW is the oldest Disney Vacation Club location. At the time it was built, there was an assumption that people staying at DVC resorts would spend more time in their rooms - so the rooms were made quite large and have plenty of room for an ECV.

Most of the buildings are only 2 stories, so even without making any requests at all, you have pretty much a 50:50 chance of getting a first (ground) floor room. Guests can request a ground (first) floor room for medical reasons if they want to be more sure. Many guests want to be on a higher floor for better views, so that figures in too.

There are no elevators. If you need a wheelchair accessible room, I believe those are on the first floor. There are varying types of accessible rooms and not all are first floor. So if you don't need a wheelchair room, I believe you will need to call and note your reservation as requiring first floor. @SueM in MN has stayed at OKW with a wheelchair.

Enjoy your vacation!
My family has belonged to Disney Vacation Club since 1993 and our home resort is OKW. We've stayed in various locations at the resort with both ECVs and a guest (our youngest daughter) in a wheelchair. We go twice a year and our favorite area is Miller's Road area. There is a walking path to Hospitality House, which is about a 10 minute walk away from buildings 20 and 21.

Buildings 62, 63, and 64 have elevators. Near Hospitality House, but not HH area.

First stop for the park is Peninsular Road. Last stop before leaving the resort is Hospitality House, which is the first and last stops on the Disney Springs bus. It doubles as the internal bus.

eta: have stayed at OKW twice with an ECV. FIrst trip, I was assigned to a partly accessible room with a high bed I had to lie across and pull myself in. Moved next day to an accessible room with an accessible bed:) at the far end of building 25 or 26.

The other trip, I was in building 13 - roll-in shower, typical height beds. Rather than try to move from such a great location, I called Maintenance. While I was out, someone came and took apart one of the beds.
Buildings 62,63 and 64 are kind of in a strange location - most of the building numbers are consecutive, but they are near the buildings in the teens instead of with the larger numbers.
That's because they were built after the rest of the resort after they tore down the original preview center and some other buildings that were in that location. Buildings with 2 floors are not required to have elevators, but those buildings have 3 floors and also being newer, required elevators.
Because of their location and having elevators, they are in high demand.

OKW does not share buses with any other resort. Even staying at Miller's Road, the next to last stop, we have seldom had wait for another bus because the wheelchair spots were all filled. There is a higher chance of a full bus if you are at the first bus stop (Peninsular) at a time when many guests are returning from a park (not enough may have gotten off yet). We've also found it full at times when we tried to get on at Hospitality House.
The bus driver will call another bus if they have to turn you away.

. Buildings with 2 floors are not required to have elevators, but those buildings have 3 floors and also being newer, required elevators.

No fair! We were on the third floor of a building at OKW, and didn't have an elevator. I wish there'd been one-walking up and down all those stairs got pretty tiring. The one reason why requiring an ECV and a first floor room now has its advantages.

The original buildings were designed and built before the requirements changed. Disney wasn't required to add elevators, and really there's no way to add them without a complete redesign and a lot of renovation.

Is OKW being remodeled, or in line to be remodeled?

I thought I heard a rumor that it was going to happen this year, but I have slept since then, so... ;)

Yep you don't necessarily need an accessible room. If just unable to climb stairs and don't need a roll in shower or other accessible room features, a first floor room will do.

If they do remodel, I think it's unlikely that they will add elevators to all buildings.

Is OKW being remodeled, or in line to be remodeled?

I thought I heard a rumor that it was going to happen this year, but I have slept since then, so... ;)
there is a remodel that was supposed to start in July 2017, according to information shared at the DVC Membership meeting. It's been put off. I don't know why or when it will start.
I very much doubt they would be adding elevators. There was nothing like that shared with members.

I very much doubt they would be adding elevators. There was nothing like that shared with members.

Actually, I was wondering if it's even possible. Is anyone here a contracter and knows? On our last stay at OKW, DH pointed out that he thinks there are small elevators in all buildings for getting supplies upstairs (like cleaning supplies, linens, tools, etc.) but not full ones for guests.

Actually, I was wondering if it's even possible. Is anyone here a contracter and knows? On our last stay at OKW, DH pointed out that he thinks there are small elevators in all buildings for getting supplies upstairs (like cleaning supplies, linens, tools, etc.) but not full ones for guests.
What look like they may be small elevators are closets.
Housekeepers carry supplies and linens in wicker baskets.

What look like they may be small elevators are closets.
Housekeepers carry supplies and linens in wicker baskets.

That's even more impressive when you consider the costumes they wear, *and* factor in summertime heat and humidity. What amazing people they are! I adore the housekeepers at WDW; they make my vacation care-free, and always have a smile! (and yes, we tip them generously, every morning!)

there is a remodel that was supposed to start in July 2017, according to information shared at the DVC Membership meeting. It's been put off. I don't know why or when it will start.

1) Members do not want to pay extra in dues or assessments to add elevators for non-members - or the few members who need such.
2) this would not be a Disney charge, but a charge to the members of that resort.
3) People who use wheelchairs or ECV's can always ask for a ground-floor unit or a building with elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter