"On this Day in Disney History" April 2020 Exercise Challenge

I'm here and healthy. With all of us home, my disboard time is less than it was, plus right now I know people are looking forward to going to disney when it reopens, i just don't see it being safe. We canceled our planned June trip. This makes 2 cancelled disney trips, 2 canceled cruises, and a cancelled trip to Utah for a soccer game. Plus all the other crap that is cancelled. I'm trying to stay upbeat for my girls while watching them struggle with school work. One of my girls is doing school work at least 12 hours a day without a break. Other girls is probably doing 10 hours.

I'm still trying to get my exercise in. I have done 560 minutes for this month.
Way to go on the exercise! And keeping upbeat! And keeping your girls motivated, engaged and really working hard on that mountain of schoolwork!

There were times, throughout my career, when our employer would choose to "make changes to save dollars." Each time, we'd realized sometime down the road, "Wait! I'm working harder not smarter." The challenges of change, new ways of doing things, imbalance of resources (either too distributed or too centralized), etc. can create a true burden. Good luck to your girls!

If I could travel back in time, I would definitely want to attend this Fair!
I remember going to the '64 World's Fair! It was a quick subway ride away for us in NYC. I was still in grammar school, so I wasn't allowed to go without my parents. The fair was the biggest thing I'd ever seen! The fairgrounds were beyond vast. My clearest memory is of the Pieta in the Italy pavilion. We rode on a moving walkway through a vast room. It was so very beautiful and moving to see. At the time, there was such a hullabaloo about it coming to the fair and the protection it would need. There was no security glass, but we were probably 20 feet away from it, and you couldn't stop in front of it. I also remember the Ford exhibit - I guess we went into anything with a
ride and air conditioning! The fair was only open the the summer months for 2 years. Then most of it was dismantled. You may be familiar with the 'flying saucers' that were left - they featured in the first Men in Black movie. I was back there a couple of years ago - the elevated square building you see is now a wedding venue, and my cousins wedding reception was held there. The view of the city is fabulous!
@ljcrochet , you certainly have your hands full! As a teacher, I'm shocked at the amount of time your girls are putting in.
It's such shame about your trips. I guess we're all feeling the lockdown very hard.
But, we're a strong people - we will get through this. Be safe and healthy, everyone! Hugs to all!

Heh, heh. I've seen a photo of my being at the '64 World's Fair. I was dressed to the 9's with a coat, gloves, black patent leather mary janes with ruffly anklet socks and a stiff, white, peter pan collar showing above the jacket collar. i was riding in the cutest World's Fair stroller! It was a miniature race car! Sadly, I don't know the color as the photo was, of course, in B&W.

@ljcrochet , so glad to see your post! Wow, your girls are putting in some long hours. I bet they will be glad when school is out for the summer. So sorry you guys have had to cancel so many trips. I know how disappointing that must be.

@BonnieF and @bwvBound , thanks so much for sharing your memories of the 1964 World's Fair. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about it from both of your perspectives. BonnieF, to see the Pieta there, WOW! And your photo sounds like a wonderful memento of the day, bwvBound! What fun memories you two have!

Last edited:
It has been a very active day for our group! We have three color changes!!!! Sophy1996 and the TEAM have both reached Powerful Pink, and ljcrochet just skipped all of the other color changes and jumped straight to Glorious Green! Way to go!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Happy Earth Day, everyone! I hope most of you were able to spend some time outdoors today. It rained here, so I didn't get to spend as much time as usual outside, but I'll take what I can get. Our tulip poplar is in full bloom, so I spent a little time appreciating its beauty. If the rain collects in the flower cups, the squirrels will probably be drinking from the flowers once the rain is out of here (supposed to rain again tomorrow). Seeing them do that always makes me smile.

Speaking of Earth day, on this day in Disney history - April 22, 1998:

Animal Kingdom park opens on Earth Day! There are so many people in line on this opening day that officials open the gates at 6 a.m., instead of the posted 7 a.m. Seventy-five minutes after opening, the park reached its capacity and the gates are closed again until early afternoon. Unofficial estimates place peak crowds at over 35,000 guests. Honored guests at the park on this day include Dr. Jane Goodall, considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, and comedian Drew Carey, dressed in a leopard suit!

45 minutes of walking

830/1000

That's so fun that you guys remember the 1964-65 World's Fair!

I was betting that today's entry would be the opening of Animal Kingdom. I remembered it was on Earth Day. Speaking of, did anyone see the limited edition Joe Rohde Mickey ears that were released today? The ears have the coordinates for Mount Everest on one ear and the coordinates for Animal Kingdom on the other.

45 minutes of walking

830/1000

That's so fun that you guys remember the 1964-65 World's Fair!

I was betting that today's entry would be the opening of Animal Kingdom. I remembered it was on Earth Day. Speaking of, did anyone see the limited edition Joe Rohde Mickey ears that were released today? The ears have the coordinates for Mount Everest on one ear and the coordinates for Animal Kingdom on the other.

And you won the bet! : ) And, yes!!!!! I saw the ears, and I tried to buy them, but they were already sold out. SOOOOOOOOO sad! : (

I'm checking in a little early today, and we already have a color change! Congrats to PollyannaMom for moving up to Powerful Pink! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

On this day in Disney history - April 23, 1923:

The parents of child actress Virginia Davis sign a contract with Disney's Laugh-O-Gram Films, giving her 5% of receipts from the film, Alice's Wonderland (which she stars in). Virginia's family will later move from Kansas City, Missouri to Los Angeles so that in the summer of 1924 she can begin working full time for Walt.

You can watch Alice's Wonderland here. I enjoyed watching Walt interact with Virginia/Alice in the very beginning of the film.

Tues, 4/21: 157 minutes
Wed, 4/22: 161 minutes
Status through 4/22: 3666/3500

Watch's April Challenge, current status:30872/40100 Active Calories

Assume horsework, yard work and housework ... although the last is in small measure. ;-)
Mon and Tues were misty, chilly and windy. The sun broke out big time on Wed and is predicted to remain. We saw a 20-25 degree leap in temperature from Tues into Wed. I'm mostly happy about this but it sure seems strange to be sweating during the morning horse chores when I'm dressed in short sleeves and no jacket?!? Ah, ch-ch-ch-changes!

I drove to the edge of town yesterday to visit Tractor Supply Company (TSC) for pelleted horse feed. TSC was never high on my list prior to the pandemic but seems to be a go-to destination for me, these days. It is, quite literally, the nearest store beyond a small mini-market with a gas pump. Leaving our property is nice ... but I'm finding wearing the mask to be a minor logistical challenge as I lack an established pattern. It is something to remember with each outing: find the mask, carry the mask, wear the mask, carry the mask, clean the mask and have it ready for sometime in the future ... likely two weeks from each use. And have I forgotten how to drive??

But anyway, back to TSC. There staff was uber cheery and friendly. Each asked, with sincerity, "How are you today?" The third friendly person to greet me wiped down a cart before directing it toward me. They asked if they could be of assistance. Really nice but it felt like a scene from the Stepford Wives? On checkout, I enjoyed another up-beat exchange of, "How are you today?" with the cashier. She cracked a joke about my big outing to TSC and then said, "Kinda like going to Disneyland!"

Maybe it is a SoCal thing. Or maybe she understood my purse ... which generally only triggers comments from, um, women of a certain age. But it was funny. Yeah, a trip to TSC, for today, felt a little like Disneyland. A lot of over-the-top-cheery-people focused on my well being and my achieving everything I hoped for while visiting their store. <grin> Maybe it is a SoCal thing ... or maybe I'm a cheap date ... but it felt good!

Photo of my purse like mine from somewhere on the internet:
disneyland-d23-expo-2015-harveys_1_0eecefac4347f3e4642d8464fcada119.jpg

I understood what you meant and took it in good humor. Basically, when one starts dropping "Dave Ramsey says <this> or <that>" into random threads please expect half the readers to tune out immediately. Indeed, that was my response.

I am still here. Work has been super busy and I really should be doing it now but I am not focused today at all.

April 13 -- 12
April 14 -- 39
April 15 -- 0 (when shopping during our lunch instead of a walk)
April 16 -- 30 (giving myself 30 because I did go for a walk but forgot my fitbit in the charger)
April 17 -- 31
April 18 -- 17
April 19 -- 65
April 20 -- 37
April 21 -- 31
April 22 -- 57
April 23 -- 43

Total -- 678/900

Thurs, 4/23: 236 minutes
Status through 4/23: 3902 minutes

Watch's April Challenge, current status: 32597/40100 Active Calories

Nothing major to report. Lots of yard work. Our irrigations systems are a mess ... lots of leaks (darn coyotes!!), controllers blowing fuses, siphon valves leaking ... too much to list. So ... I've been running what still works and moving hoses with the old fashioned lawn sprinkler to places where the automated systems have failed. At least I'm home to do this!! Super hot yesterday and today ... and these are scorching winds coming off the desert. Kinda early for Santa Ana winds, isn't it? Oh, well ... like so many other things in life: "It is what it is." Ran the weed whip for two hours today ... my arms are sore! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!