"On this Day in Disney History" April 2020 Exercise Challenge

My watch is acting up and not tracking my exercise.

I went on a 30 hour bike ride over the weekend, and a 45 minute one today.

30 hours?! That's a long bike ride. I will hold off on adding those minutes in case hours was a typo, and you meant minutes. I will add the 45 minute ride from today. Just let me know if I need to add another 1800 minutes to your total from the weekend.

30 hours?! That's a long bike ride. I will hold off on adding those minutes in case hours was a typo, and you meant minutes. I will add the 45 minute ride from today. Just let me know if I need to add another 1800 minutes to your total from the weekend.
Ha! I read it and didn't doubt it for a second. LOL. I've done both cross-country and competitive cycling in my long-distant past and just figured @ljcrochet was just making good use of the supposedly-empty streets. :)

I also figured that the Watch could have given up on that effort for lack of battery power. I've had some interesting conflicts with my Watch tracking ... with let downs and moments of frustration. (Note: The Apple Watch totally fails at tracking distance when walking laps on a ship at sea. Rather, set it for Mixed Cardio and be happy with that.)

Yes, we have a June trip to Disneyland on the books. Reservations there are 60 days out, so I made them, but I'm not at all hopeful. I figured I would rather have them and have to cancel them, than not make them and end up regretting it. And I may end up doing the same thing for August (which will be really sad to miss because it's for Star Wars Celebration).
Oh, my. We tried booking Star Wars Celebration for the first time for this year. Sold out ... sigh. Looks like a lot of fun. Hope it holds and I hope you get to go!

Ha! I read it and didn't doubt it for a second. LOL. I've done both cross-country and competitive cycling in my long-distant past and just figured @ljcrochet was just making good use of the supposedly-empty streets. :)

I also figured that the Watch could have given up on that effort for lack of battery power. I've had some interesting conflicts with my Watch tracking ... with let downs and moments of frustration. (Note: The Apple Watch totally fails at tracking distance when walking laps on a ship at sea. Rather, set it for Mixed Cardio and be happy with that.)

Oh, I know it can be done, and no doubt ljcrochet could handle it. I have an uncle who could have done it up until a couple of years ago. I just figured it's easier to double check than to go ahead and add it - just in case - since it's not the sort of number usually submitted.

Tues, 4/28: 226 minutes >> Yard work (weed whip!), lots of horse work and a good walk with my big Sr. doing some hill work to strengthen his back (and my legs)
Status through 4/28: 4812 / 3500 minutes

Watch's April Challenge, current status: 39145 / 40100 Active Calories >> so close!

And good news, I was able to book 2 of the 3 nights at the Grand Cal over Thanksgiving weekend that I had lost earlier yesterday. Not sure if I now want to release my earlier November reservation or hang on to it "just in case." Hmmm. Hmmm.

Three cheers for PollyannaMom who reached Remarkable Red today!!!!! ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

On this day in Disney history - April 29, 1925:

Animator, television producer, and film director Iwao Takamoto is born in Los Angeles, California. He began his career as a production and character designer for Walt Disney Productions films such as Cinderella (1950), Peter Pan (1953), Lady and the Tramp (1955), and Sleeping Beauty (1959). In 1961, he moved to Hanna-Barbera Productions, where he designed a great majority of the characters, including Scooby-Doo and Astro, and eventually became a director and producer.

To learn more about this talented man, you can read his New York Times memorial here.

Wed, 4/29: 172 minutes
Status through 4/29: 4984 / 3500 minutes

and somewhere during the day I met the Watch's April Challenge! I met and passed the goal: 40,100 Active Calories! Yippie!

Did lots of mowing with the walk behind mower and took my mare for a walkabout with some targeted play on a long line: trotting poles, trotting Fig 8 patterns around scrub brush, low-forward-stepping under movements, etc. She did great, was soft, was responsive and was so attentive to my slightest ask. Cool! I hopped on her bareback (in my flip-flops, which I suddenly found difficult to keep on my feet) and enjoyed a mosey ride back to the paddock while trying to manage that long line in my hands. Good mare!

Thank you, @Twilight Sparkle, for your hosting and excellent story telling! :dogdance:

yikes. Yes it was only minutes. lol
I started using strength or core training when I do my workout so I know the whole thing will count. But with bike riding, I want to track the miles. I wonder if I use a bike program on my phone while just using a exercise one on my watch that tracks by minutes

I started using strength or core training when I do my workout so I know the whole thing will count. But with bike riding, I want to track the miles. I wonder if I use a bike program on my phone while just using a exercise one on my watch that tracks by minutes
Apple Watch? Which model/version?

I have the Series 4 with GPS (default) and Cellular (upgrade). It has a workout setting for "Outdoor Cycle" where it will both track your path and miles. I went back to check my last outdoor cycle workout, 7/3/2017 (was this my current watch or my older Series 2?), and it shows:
  • Total Time
  • Distance
  • Active Calories ; Total Calories
  • Heart rate throughout ; Average Heart Rate
  • Average Speed
  • A map of my path
  • Weather info during the workout (temp and humidity)
  • Heart rate throughout ; Average Heart Rate
  • Average Speed
Edited to add: I went back to older cycling workouts where I knew I was using the Series 2 with GPS (no cellular). It still tracked all the above including total distance and a map!

Last edited:
Apple Watch? Which model/version?
I think it is a series 3. I find it doesn't completely register my heartrate so it doesn't accurately track a workout. I can do a 30 minute hasfit workout but it will only count it as 15 or 20. But when I pick the strength training or core it tracks all the minutes.

With the bike rides it does track the time, distance, active calories and total calories, elevation ( kind of funny since I'm in Florida), and ave heart rate. Funny thing is watch says there was no excercise minutes

I think it is a series 3. I find it doesn't completely register my heartrate so it doesn't accurately track a workout. I can do a 30 minute hasfit workout but it will only count it as 15 or 20. But when I pick the strength training or core it tracks all the minutes.

With the bike rides it does track the time, distance, active calories and total calories, elevation ( kind of funny since I'm in Florida), and ave heart rate. Funny thing is watch says there was no excercise minutes
Curious.

I'm guessing you created the "Strength Training" and "Core Training" workout types using the "Other" menu? But that for cycling you are using a top-level, default, workout option?
When cycling, are you starting and ending the workout manually? That is, are you starting the workout mode for Cycling just before you start the ride and ending it when you stop riding? Do you figure you've used it often enough that it should be roughly 'calibrated' specifically to you? (I know that walking requires some calibration ... not sure cycling has anything to calibrate as it is tracking distance using GPS.)

FWIW, my Cycling reports do NOT report elevation so that seems out possibly of place, to me. However, you've previously mentioned running other apps, so perhaps there is a disconnect between the watch data and 3rd party apps? I'm using only the iOS-native Activity app for tracking my workouts, activity, goals, challenges, awards, etc.

Edited to add: Using the "Other" workout, I've created and frequently use the following workout types: 'Mixed Cardio' (my everyday "go to!" setting), 'Mind & Body' (for time baking in the sauna), and infrequently 'Equestrian Sports' (simply prefer Mixed Cardio). Each seems to be working well and properly capturing heart rate and duration (minutes) when I remember to turn them On at the start of the effort. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!