Onboard Booking Discounts?

gkwylie

Earning My Ears
We have always heard there are discounts if you book your next cruise while sailing. But we've never known where we wanted to go next, so have always just done a placeholder booking.

Until now.

We will be sailing on the Magic to Bermuda in October (10/27). We definitely want to do the transatlantic in May 2022. If bookings open similarly as last year (Sept 30-Oct 2) for the 2021 sailing, this means we should be able to book while on the Magic.

Here are my questions -

1. Is there really a good discount for booking while onboard? If so, what is the typical discount?

2. How quickly does the TA cruise book out (I notice 2021 only has interior cabins right now)? Would waiting 3ish weeks to book be risky - we'd like a verandah cabin?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kim

We have always heard there are discounts if you book your next cruise while sailing. But we've never known where we wanted to go next, so have always just done a placeholder booking.

Until now.

We will be sailing on the Magic to Bermuda in October (10/27). We definitely want to do the transatlantic in May 2022. If bookings open similarly as last year (Sept 30-Oct 2) for the 2021 sailing, this means we should be able to book while on the Magic.

Here are my questions -

1. Is there really a good discount for booking while onboard? If so, what is the typical discount?

2. How quickly does the TA cruise book out (I notice 2021 only has interior cabins right now)? Would waiting 3ish weeks to book be risky - we'd like a verandah cabin?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kim
The discount you get from using a placeholder is the same discount you get when booking a specific cruise while onboard.

You can always book opening day, and then re-shop onboard. This means you see if the price onboard is cheaper or offers enough discounts to make it cheaper than booking on opening day. If it does you go and book another cabin with the Onboard Booking discount on the ship. Once you get home you then cancel your original cabin.

Back a few years ago you used to be able to re-shop the cruise right on the ship. Due to some issues with customer complaints, onboard ship booking agents are no longer allowed to cancel and re-shop a room. You can call Disney Cruise Line once you get back to land, and work to cancel and retain your 1st room choice. There is a small chance you won't be able to get the state room you booked on opening day(during then 3-5 minutes it takes to cancel and rebook someone else could book your room).

Definitely check the price comparison. We booked a cruise opening day, and re-shopped it once onboard a few months later. The price had gone up a little, and with the OBB discount (which was still the 10% off and stateroom credit at the time) it only saved us around $200 to re-shop. We decided to save the OBB and applied it to another cruise after we got home a few months later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts