ONE CHILD NATION ON NETFLIX

avengerspoilerer

Mouseketeer
One of the best documentaries I have seen this year about China's One Child Policy between 1979-2015. Implemented to reduce starvation, this policy sterilized, abandoned, aborted, live birthed and killed 100's of thousands. Then China began allowing international adoptions where orphanages falsified where and how children were found while paying the people who found find the kids and drop them off. Many of these were adopted in the US and are now teenagers and older.

It is really good but very disturbing!

I tried so hard to watch this but I am having vision problems and just couldn't read the subtitles. I will take another stab at it from a room where the TV is closer. I understand that the movie does paint international adoption, and therefore, adoptive parents in a harsh light so I really want to watch the movie first before my daughter becomes aware of it so that I can help guide her emotions through it or any comments she may hear about it.

The movie is receiving very high praise.

I watched it. It was hard to watch. I think the thing that bothered me the most was the man who went to jail for selling babies to orphanages. I understand the people who actively stole babies from families, but picking up abandoned babies who had been left to die? Why was that a crime? If there hadn't been an economic incentive to do so, how many of those babies would have died?

I don't think they necessarily vilified the adoptive parents, most of them had no idea. I think it was more disappointment that more of them didn't want the information on birth families they were offering out of fear they would lose "their" children.

I couldn't find it on Netflix....But I did find it on Amazon Prime.
Gonna watch...

ETA: Watched it last night.
Those yellow bags...:sad1: very very tragic...

Last edited:
I understand that the movie does paint international adoption, and therefore, adoptive parents in a harsh light
It was a very sad disturbing documentary, but did not paint the adoptive parents in a harsh light.

It’s on my list to watch, my 14 niece was adopted from China, and she is curious about where she came from. All of the families that went over together to bring their daughters home still get together once a year.

I'm practically tearing up just reading about this. I don't think I can watch.

It's pretty brutal to watch what really happened and hear the stories... and chilling to hear the old midwife talk about what she did and how she feels about it...

It's pretty brutal to watch what really happened and hear the stories... and chilling to hear the old midwife talk about what she did and how she feels about it...
It shows how strongly indoctrinated she was....followed the "rules" without question or regret/emotion...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!