One day at SDL

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
Hi! My daughter (16) and I will be on a 10 day tour of China the last week of March. We start in Beijing and end in Shanghai and will have one free day at the end to go to Disneyland. We are super excited but also clueless lol. I've read what I could online and am going with the attitude that we probably won't accomplish everything but it will just be really cool to be there. We are staying off site but our guide will make sure we get there and back. So I'm open to any tips and suggestions especially on where/what to eat. We're not picky so just want to try stuff we can't get at WDW.

So, you're only after tips on food?

Our favourite restaurant within the park was the Tangled Tree Tavern (or whatever it is called). We wouldn't recommend any of the other places we are at, which included: Barbossa's Bounty, Tribal Table and Wandering Moon Restaurant.

We did make a booking on our first day to dine at the Royal Banquet Hall on our second day, but we opted to spend the time in the park rather than dining as I'd read the Royal Banquet Hall was a 2+ hour dining experience.

I think most of the food within the park would be different to Disney World. So, you can pretty much choose to eat anywhere, except for the pizza and burger places of course.

The restaurants in Disneytown were better, although obviously you'd lose time exiting and re-entering the park. But, it is pretty much right next door to the park.

So, you're only after tips on food?

Our favourite restaurant within the park was the Tangled Tree Tavern (or whatever it is called). We wouldn't recommend any of the other places we are at, which included: Barbossa's Bounty, Tribal Table and Wandering Moon Restaurant.

We did make a booking on our first day to dine at the Royal Banquet Hall on our second day, but we opted to spend the time in the park rather than dining as I'd read the Royal Banquet Hall was a 2+ hour dining experience.

I think most of the food within the park would be different to Disney World. So, you can pretty much choose to eat anywhere, except for the pizza and burger places of course.

The restaurants in Disneytown were better, although obviously you'd lose time exiting and re-entering the park. But, it is pretty much right next door to the park.

Oh no I'm open to any and all tips for sure! I just know we'll only be eating 2 meals at the most there so didn't want crappy food. Our flight doesn't leave until 8 PM the following day so we may check out Disneytown then.

Hi! My daughter (16) and I will be on a 10 day tour of China the last week of March. We start in Beijing and end in Shanghai and will have one free day at the end to go to Disneyland. We are super excited but also clueless lol. I've read what I could online and am going with the attitude that we probably won't accomplish everything but it will just be really cool to be there. We are staying off site but our guide will make sure we get there and back. So I'm open to any tips and suggestions especially on where/what to eat. We're not picky so just want to try stuff we can't get at WDW.
  • Because you are only going for a day - arrive before opening (if you can) as the main gates will be a slog to get through security and bag check. You won't be allowed to bring in any outside food. Water is OK, just not glass bottles.
  • Soarin is the most popular ride with a different ending, but not worth the wait if you've done any of the other versions and you only have 1 day.
  • Tron and Pirates are a must as you won't get these elsewhere. (untill the WDW version is completed...)
  • Skip the Pirate Stunt Show as it's mostly in mandarin and the comedy is very hard to follow if you don't speak the language.
  • Our favourite show was the Golden Fairy Tale Fantasy Castle show
  • The popular snack of choice at SHDL is their Turkey Leg - it doesn't taste like the ones in the parks in North America. But it's quite expensive and smaller. It was good, but I don't know if it's worth the price. It's in Treasure Cove. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BpwENCynnTp/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet)
  • The most memorable snack for me was the pumpkin flavoured soft serve (seasonal) from Il Paperino on Mickey Avenue. So I would check out what their season flavour would be...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BptQWwNHEaV/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

In Disneytown, I like the Food Republic food court and the Ippudo Ramen. Also, the Bread Talk bakery is pretty good although the breads are softer (Asians prefer that way)

The Tarzan Show is worth watching. It's in Mandarin, but the music is still the "same" and it's mostly an acrobatics show, so you don't need to "follow" the story to appreciate it. It's also one of the easier things to do, since it's a show.
There's quite a few "photo ops" and "walking" activities you can do, like the Garden of friends and Alice maze and Voyage to the Crystal grotto (boring, but VERY aimed at selfie-taking as a humble brag). They're worth doing if you're not sure what to do, and don't want to wait in long lines.
For food, consider doing a Disneytown Meal, especially if it's at the end of your trip and you want more western-style food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!