One Day Halloween Fling! - Trip Report Complete!

Our trip was great, other than the heat!! We ended up getting park hoppers and MaxPass and it made it SO easy! I think we maybe stood in 3 (short) standby lines and we rode everything we wanted to multiple times. We LOVED Guardians of the Galaxy! So fun and so much better than Tower of Terror!

I’m enjoying reading your trip report! I wish I had thought to take notes. My memory isn’t that good :scratchin
Haha, I try to take a picture (anything) at every ride, and if possible, when we get in line and when we're about to get on, or just got off, to help me establish a timeline later. I don't always remember, but the time stamps on the pictures help me piece it back together! I'm so glad you had a great trip! I'm going to to try to get mine done in the next couple days while it's still fresh and maybe somewhat helpful to someone. :)

We headed off towards RSR, and I really enjoyed all the decorations in Carsland! I loved the bats coming out of Carthay. Those were cool. My friend was a little disappointed that I had already seen most of the Carsland stuff on different boards and Youtube videos, but it was still super fun to see them in person.
INAZc66.jpg

g6BGdpR.jpg

1zMHGPd.jpg

It took us about 15 minutes to get on RSR with our fastpasses, but the standyby line said it was 105 minutes at 2:30 PM, in that heat!! I enjoyed the ride, and once again, my one friend had never been on it! Her older two girls (that are tall enough) aren't that into Cars I guess. Her son would love it, but he's only 2, so... I always look dumb in the pictures on RSR because my hair is everywhere with all the wind. Another ride that's more fun with cool air. I really meant for us to go back and ride it single rider line after dark, because I've still never ridden it at night, but maybe next trip. :)
uaGqHRR.jpg

WGf3May.jpg

We stopped for a photo op on our way out of Carsland as we tried to think of some cool things to do to combat the heat.
MI08V9g.jpg

We decided on Ghirardelli, and split a brownie caramel sundae thing. It was pretty, and tasty, but not as good as our pizookies at BJ's. We decided it needed more brownie (which was divine) and less whipped cream.
7MIQiC8.jpg

We decided now was a good time to do a little shopping, so we could enjoy the a/c of the shops and since none of us have had time to browse without kids in like 6 years... And because we were waiting on some 4:45 fastpasses on Splash Mountain while it was still hot. We ran into Daisy and Donald toward the front of CA inside the shops and the line was short, so of course I wanted pictures!
3c4WVbu.jpg

HlvOidj.jpg

After doing some more browsing, we hopped back over to Disneyland and ended up inside the Opera House to look at some of the displays in there. And guess who I ran into - this guy! I was just a tiny bit starstruck, but my friends thought I was somewhat crazy when I asked a cast member for a picture and called him by name... :) That was fun! I love to look at the history and the art they have in there, and the a/c was wonderful. I also took a selfie with another famous cast member, haha. A little more shopping and we headed towards Splash Mountain!
iNBYb2J.jpg

b5nefkW.jpg

AFDHlZR.jpg

hfUFZ0E.jpg

Splash Mountain was another one where the fast pass line wasn't as short as you'd hope, but it definitely beat the standby. It seems like it was close to 20 minutes before we got in. My friends were determined not to get so wet when they were just finally dried off, and voted me to sit in front when we got sent to the first half of the log... I definitely got extremely wet, and there was screaming! ;-) It was a fun ride though, and they got pretty wet too, including their tennis shoes, which they had managed to keep dry on the first water ride.
pMDSMZB.jpg

syFgtiM.jpg

HBcpQ1x.jpg

We walked around the back of New Orleans to use the bathroom (and grab a picture here - I miss the Court of Angels!) on our way to a little shop where one friend wanted to spend enough on Nightmare Before Christmas paraphernalia to also qualify to buy the AP Mickey Mouse backpack. :) We grabbed a FP for Big Thunder Mountain while waiting for her, and served as group photographers for at least 5 different sets of people with this backdrop before grabbing our own.
G1C5V7c.jpg

07GQh3F.jpg

We were holding a fastpass for Guardians of the Galaxy: Monsters After Dark, as well as one for Big Thunder, so we weren't able to get another one even though our BTMRR time was already available within 10-15 minutes of booking it. Can you only hold two at once? I need to read more MaxPass guides. :) BTMRR, which we always called "The Runaway Railroad" growing up, is one of my happy places. I was hoping to ride it after dark, but almost dusk was good too. It already wan't nearly as hot, and we had a good ride, towards the very back of the train like I asked for. :) I love doiong the goat trick, and tried to explain it to my friends, but they didn't get it.
r5Uc3D9.jpg

b7NrOq8.jpg

After we got off, we stopped in for some more shopping in Frontierland where my friend could purchase her backpack (the other store was out) and where I could pick a pin as my souvenir. I don't really collect them, but I have a few from a visit to WDW in my teens, and my kids have done a little pin trading in the past. I thought a 2017 Minnie Mouse pin was the perfect reminder of this fun trip with my friends and with our matching shirts though. :) I also enjoyed getting to see the Halloween tree.
(pic of the pin isn't mine)
TADgF7K.jpg

0ZRvcH2.jpg

After BTMRR we saw that a Star Tours FP was available almost immediately, so we grabbed that and then went to ride it after shopping was done. I always enjoy Star Tours, even though, again, the FP line was 15-20 minutes, and my friends didn't realize that it is random and different each time. :) Is it a faulty memory, it did it used to be faster to get on with FP? Or does it just depend? I looked on the character map and saw that Chewie was receiving admirers, and convinced my friends that we needed a picture if the line wasn't too long. It was 10 minutes, and totally worth it, though the Photopass photographer didn't manage to get a non-blurry picture of me with my eyes open. What the heck? Chewie was super fun though, and we had fun waiting in line after a little 5-year-old who was there on her birthday that was -quite- entertaining. It was fun to watch her meet and greet. :) On our way out BB-8 was spinning around and my selfie with him also failed, but the pic my friend took is kind of cute. :)
abixtU5.jpg

xavunVE.jpg

XQFUUA8.jpg

tAVQreg.jpg

Our Guardians FP (that we were excited to get, though one friend and I were a little nervous about how "scary" the Halloween overlay might be) was almost up, so it was time to park hop yet again! I grabbed another non-line pumpkin picture on our way out. :) I was hoping to get a corn dog, because at 7 PM I was finally hungry after the nachos and ice cream from earlier, but the cart was closed. So sad!
NabhHAh.jpg

Really enjoying your review. Looks like you and your friends had a blast. Can't believe how wet you all got on Grizzly ..but suppose it wasn't too horrible int hat heat. (My son tried that one but I was too chicken). Thanks for sharing your report.

What an awesome day! You three really did do a lot! Cool matching Minnie outfits, good choice for the hot weather. Nice selection of rides, got a laugh out of your friend covering her eyes on Ghost Galaxy :rotfl2:

Cool that you got to hit both parks too, very ambitious! Epic that you got to get a pic with Maynard, he ROCKS :thumbsup2 And loved the pics with Chewy. Thank you for sharing you and your friend's fun!

What an awesome day! You three really did do a lot! Cool matching Minnie outfits, good choice for the hot weather. Nice selection of rides, got a laugh out of your friend covering her eyes on Ghost Galaxy :rotfl2:

Cool that you got to hit both parks too, very ambitious! Epic that you got to get a pic with Maynard, he ROCKS :thumbsup2 And loved the pics with Chewy. Thank you for sharing you and your friend's fun!

Thanks! We had such a great time! But not quite done... ;-)

I was wrong! We didn't park hop 4 times, but 5 in 12 hours! That is definitely a record for me! (I will break it one day, hopefully. ;-) ) We hopped over to CA for our Monsters After Dark FP, and to check out the Halloween decorations there in the dark!
KlnJZEI.jpg

amJnbNo.jpg

As we walked in, there was a long line of parents and kids (all the kids were in costumes) following a guide, and they entered to the far left of the turnstiles it seems like. We had to speed walk a little to get ahead of them as we approached Guardians, but I didn't see where they went after that. Any idea what this group was or was up to? I couldn't figure anything out! It wasn't a Halloween party night... Guardians looked great, and Monsters After Dark wasn't really any scarier, but a fun difference from the regular form that we couldn't fully appreciate, since we'd only been on the normal ride once. Such an awesome ride!
L4YTd3g.jpg

2eAP3RI.jpg

We walked through Carsland and enjoyed all the fun atmosphere there, and slowly made our way towards the Pier, because we were starving. (Can I just say that I remember the days when you couldn't cut through Bugs Land, and I really appreciate having that path??) My friends went over to the pasta place by the Silly Symphony Swings, and I stood in line at the corn dog castle, in front of a lady who had possibly had a few drinks, because she thought she was hilarious. That was entertaining. She was fine, just trying really hard to be witty, and cracking herself up. :)
ft4eh8z.jpg

sCMkUQU.jpg

rJ0AUZv.jpg

JAZTicj.jpg

As we left California Adventure, the World of Color was just starting, and I probably could have watched from afar and have been happy. But I was eager to get back over to Disneyland too, and was hoping to catch a ride on the Carrousel. Last park hop of the night, 5/5 for the day! We had a FP for Indiana Jones, but we weren't sure if we were going to use it or not.
UwN8aJV.jpg

My friends were toast. My feet were hurting, but I probably would have stayed until they kicked me out after 11, if not for being there with my tired friends (one of whom had to work in the morning and would be on call the next night). And if I didn't have to be up before 5 to catch my ride to the airport! Plus, Disneyland had gotten really crowded since CA closed. I ended up waiting a good 15 minutes in line for King Arthur's Carrousel, which is one of my favorites, and a tradition to do last when possible. I even managed to sprint ahead of the (tired) pre-schoolers and toddlers and get a ride on my favorite horse. :) Go, me? Haha.
sNetXSC.jpg

U5nAAP2.jpg

X4yplmF.jpg

My friends waited on a bench for me, and had been such troopers and such Disneyland warriors for me that day. I really appreciated them! Though without them, I probably would have hit that Indiana Jones FP, possibly the teacups, and made sure to ride Big Thunder Mountain in the dark as many times as I could before getting kicked out. :) I'm crazy like that! But they were exhausted, and I'm an adult and knew I needed to be just a little responsible, so we left the park just after 9 PM to catch a Toy Story shuttle to our car.
bEcheRi.jpg

I didn't get to sleep until almost 11:30 that night after dropping one friend back at our hotel to get her car, getting back to La Habra, drinking two -big- glasses of water, and making sure everything was in order for my flight departing at 8 AM for LAX the next morning.

So that was our epic Disney day. I think we rode 15 rides, did 4-5 character meets, and park hopped 5 times. I know we had an amazing time, and even though MaxPass saved us a lot of running around and time, there were still things I hoped to do that didn't happened. I had assumed we'd go on Pirates sometime during that heat, but the line was never -that- short when we went by. I certainly intended to check out the new Star Wars land entrance, but totally forgot about it. I had riding the train, with its new path as a must-do, but it just didn't happen. I always love to ride Big Thunder at night, and would have enjoyed the smaller Carsland rides at night. I thought we would do a single rider on RSR at night. But there is only so much you can do, and all of those things will probably be there on my next visit! I have been trying to NOT look at the annual pass prices and not pretend-plan that. With a pre-schooler and a toddler still at home, it's just not the right time yet for me. But that time will come!

Thanks for following along. I hope this trip report has some useful information for someone. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if I might help you with something! I will look at my video in the next few days, and see if I got enough to make a little video fun as well. :)

Huzzah for getting the GoTG ToT pic with nobody having their hands up in front of you! Carsland looks so awesome, and yay for getting your favorite horse on the carousel! I know what it's like to be with friends/family that can't keep up, gotta take mercy on them or they'll never go with you again :rotfl:

Amazing numbers on park hops, character meets, and rides hit in 12hrs! Always stuff that will be missed but you gave it a great effort! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure! :thumbsup2

Huzzah for getting the GoTG ToT pic with nobody having their hands up in front of you! Carsland looks so awesome, and yay for getting your favorite horse on the carousel! I know what it's like to be with friends/family that can't keep up, gotta take mercy on them or they'll never go with you again :rotfl:

Amazing numbers on park hops, character meets, and rides hit in 12hrs! Always stuff that will be missed but you gave it a great effort! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I need to get an AP one of these days soon so I can learn how to do Disneyland without the rush to cram it all in. :)

As we walked in, there was a long line of parents and kids (all the kids were in costumes) following a guide, and they entered to the far left of the turnstiles it seems like. We had to speed walk a little to get ahead of them as we approached Guardians, but I didn't see where they went after that. Any idea what this group was or was up to?

We hopped from DL over to DCA right around sunset and there was a film crew filming something with a bunch of kids in costumes. I would assume it was the same kids you saw! No idea what they were filming, though!

We hopped from DL over to DCA right around sunset and there was a film crew filming something with a bunch of kids in costumes. I would assume it was the same kids you saw! No idea what they were filming, though!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see them! I was so confused!

What a fun trip. I really want to do an adult trip to DL, either with my husband, or a group of girlfriends. Loved seeing all the decorations. We've never gone near Halloween before

I am much more a Christmas fan than a Halloween fan, but the fall decorations were really pretty too. I am itching to go with just my husband, hopefully sometimes this year, just for a one day trip or something.

So I found this trip report of yours. You write great reports! I loved spending this day with you in pretend. Lol.
I would have also wanted to take advantage of not having kids to put to bed and would have wanted to stay until closing. At least you got a lot done in the one day you were there!

Thanks for reading! I don't feel like my trip reports are that creative (like some peoples'!) so I'm glad you have enjoyed them! This last year has been a weird one for me, going 3 times (4 days, 1 day, 1 day) within almost a year period. Unexpected, and fun!

I'm doing this synopsis for a few of my trips so I can compare them, and wanted to attach it.

Monday, Oct 23rd, 2017 - 3 adults - Park Hoppers with MaxPass - 15 attractions - 30,500 steps - Just over 12 hours

8:45 AM Arrived at the gate for an 9 AM opening
DISNEYLAND
9:15 AM Pictures with Moana
*9:30 AM Indiana Jones
*9:50 AM Matterhorn
*10:05 AM Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
*10:49 AM Guardians of the Galaxy
*11:09 AM Grizzly River Rapids
*11:56 AM California Screamin'
*12:06 PM Silly Symphony Swings
*12:20 PM Ariel's Undersea Adventure
12:44 PM Lunch at White Water Snacks
*2:15 PM Soarin' Around the World
*2:54 PM Radiator Springs Racers
3:15 PM Snack at Ghiradelli's
3:38 PM Pictures with Donald and Daisy
DISNEYLAND
*5:03 PM Splash Mountain
*5:49 PM Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
*6:23 PM Star Tours
6:45 PM Pics with Chewbacca
CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
*7:28 PM Guardians: Monsters After Dark
8:02 PM Food from various quick serve options
DISNEYLAND
*8:57 PM King Arthur Carrousel
9:10 PM Exited the park :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter