One night b4 POR check in?

ejrj

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I am in the early planning stages of our first family trip next fall. It will be myself, dh, dd 4, dd 2 & 2. We are driving from Birmingham. Right now I'm thinking about leaving mid day and hopefully arriving around midnight. We will be staying at POR (I think...) I'm debating the merits of staying off site that first night (for budgeting) and then checking in first thing in the am. ANY thoughts yay or nay? And if you think yay, please feel free to make some hotel suggestions. We will have the dining plan upon check in at POR, so breakfast need not to be included. Also a fancy pool (or any pool really) isn't required since we won't be there long enough to use it.

We are a family of five and our first trip to the world we drove. We left from Fultondale ( just 20 minutes out from b'ham) and it took us about 11 hours to get there. We had planned on about an 8 hour drive, but then when you add potty breaks and food and gas it adds to the time ( duh). We drove strait in that time. For our trip that is in Nov we though about driving again, but changed our mind. Right now you can get a flight from Birmingham to Orlando for 59 each and the same for return flights so we are flying again. When we where looking at driving tho I was thinking of stopping Sylvester, GA. If you stay off site the first night you will save a little money depending on where you stay, but you also have to factor your time and convenience in as well. If you go strait to the resort then you will already be there so once you wake up you can go to the parks. You also would get the dinning plan for the night you check in and would have the rest of your trip to use it so you would have the extra food.

this past May we weren't sure when we would arriving as we were driving down with the girls and had no idea if we could drive non stop. We did it and arrived at 11:30 pm the day before our check in date at POR. We stayed at a an hotel near Disney. I think it was the confort inn. We paid $80 for the night as it was a walk in rate and we were tired and didn't care how much it was... we wanted to sleep. 27 hours of driving was long for the girls. We had a carry on already packed with what we would need so we only had to bring that in. That being said, I regret not having driven to Disney instead and stayed at a value as a room only reservation. If you book it in advance, you can often get a special which turns out of be cheaper then off site and it would have been priceless for the girls to realize in the morning where they were. If you want to save money but still be at Disney and don't care moving to a new resort the next day, I would try a value. We stayed value this August and it really wasn't that bad. You will have no issue getting a value room as you are allowed 4 people plus a child under 3 :-)

Hmmm. I was thinking maybe we could crash near Disney (like within a couple miles) and spend under $90. Get up early next morning and go check in. I know our room wouldn't be ready but we could get our KTTW and then hit our first park and start using our DDP (for breakfast). That said, I'm really not sure it's worth the savings of approx $90. For an extra $90ish we could just go straight to POR and like you said be ready to hit the parks first thing. Also, would I have to make a separate reservation for the one night?

I'm also doing what you are doing. Driving from new orleans, and checking into a hotel 2 miles from Animal Kindgom. We are booked at

Quality Inn & Suites(FLB58)
2945 Entry Point Boulevard, Kissimmee, FL, US, 34747
Phone: (407) 390-0204

My rate is 68.00 including taxes.
Now, I've not stayed here, but it gets pretty good reviews, give it a look!

If you have a package then yes, you will want to call and see if they have anything and make a ressie for one night. The other option would be to call and see if you can add a night to your package, but that would also mean adding the DDP and tickets. If you would like the extra park tickets ( like maybe go to a park on the day you leave) and want the meals for that day or to use an extra meal during your stay then you would be better off by calling abd having them add to your ressie. If you are able to book a one night room, there is a chance that you will have to change rooms even if you are get a room at the same resort.

ya, I don't want to add a night to the package. Thanks NOLA, I will check that out!

I think that's a good idea just b/c you are driving. Why not save some money? I feel I spend way more than I ever plan on spending when I'm in WDW, so saving a little will be 100% worth it! I wanted to add that the night before our WDW vacation we stayed a night @ a La Quinta @ the airport then flew into Fl. We were so excited that it did not matter that our hotel was kinda ugly, b/c it was clean,lol! We watched Aladdin on tv & had a very memorable family night. Then the next day we had an ok FREE breakfast then had the CBR to look forward to. It was great. Go for it!! You should be able to spend way under $90 off site. If you are planning on $90 a night I'd stay Value Resort. There was a Radisson in Celebration for $60 that looks very, very nice. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. I looked at flying but $59 each way turns into $139 w/ taxes. And although that is not a bad price, x 5...even weighing out the convenience factor I think we have to suck it up and drive.

In regard to hotel, I really don't WANT to pay $90, I was just trying to be reasonable. I'm really after cheap and cheerful. It's one night. Arriving late. We won't really even see the property in the light of day. $60 would make me a happy camper.

Again, thanks for your thoughts everyone! Now if Disney would send me a pin code, I'd be a set! Correction, they do send me pin codes - CANADIAN pin codes!!! I've called twice now but the CMs on the phone can't correct a marketing mix up.

We did exactly what you are talking about, and liked the Holiday Inn Express LBV a lot. They have a small but nice pool with a slide, and the breakfast was great. There was even bread and peanut butter to make a sandwich to take with you. For our family of 5 we had to use a rollaway bed, but it was fine for just a night.

We did the same thing when we drove from Mobile to POR last month. We drove down a day early and stayed offsite. We stayed at the Galleria Palms on Maingate Drive for a total of $54!! We got up early the next morning and checked into POR at 7am so we could take advantage of the extra magic hours at the MK. Our room wasn't ready but we were able to check in and they sent us a text a couple of hours later letting us know the room was ready. I HIGHLY recommend the Galleria Palms for a one night stay. I wouldn't want to stay there the entirety of my trip, but it was definitely a nice hotel for the price for one night! They also offer a free continental breakfast. You can't beat it! The hotel is literally a mile from the maingate entrance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter