Online Check in?

Glittercat

Mermaid on Wheels! ^_~
Hello! We’re arriving at the FW campground today with our RV. I have the option to do online check-in but we don’t know if that’s a good idea or bad. Any advice on this would be much appreciated! 😁

I'm not sure online check-in is at all useful at the Fort. I *think* you still end up in a queue to talk with a CM about whether or not you have dogs and a donut for the sewer, etc. etc. etc. And they give you the map and all that.....

I'm not sure online check-in is at all useful at the Fort. I *think* you still end up in a queue to talk with a CM about whether or not you have dogs and a donut for the sewer, etc. etc. etc. And they give you the map and all that.....
Thank you so much! 😁

We do it months in advance. The advantage has been receiving a text message with your site number prior to getting to Ft Wilderness. We usually get a text message while driving on I-4 before we enter Disney property. If you are familiar with The Fort you can then drive directly to your site and set up. You can always go back to the Reception Center and pick up your Welcome Pack. Saves a lot of time even if you still opt to wait in the checkin line. You will find a much happier Cast Member checking you in as all the busy work is already done. Have a magical trip!

We do it months in advance. The advantage has been receiving a text message with your site number prior to getting to Ft Wilderness. We usually get a text message while driving on I-4 before we enter Disney property. If you are familiar with The Fort you can then drive directly to your site and set up. You can always go back to the Reception Center and pick up your Welcome Pack. Saves a lot of time even if you still opt to wait in the checkin line. You will find a much happier Cast Member checking you in as all the busy work is already done. Have a magical trip!
Thank you so much! As we’re brand spankin’ new to the park maybe we shouldn’t do online check in. Hmm. Oh thank you so much for the information! 😁💖

I've always done it in the past. There have been mixed reports in the past about whether or not it actually really saved any time or not. Honestly, in some cases if you do the online checkin if your site is ready before you get there they'll text you the site number and you just go straight on to the site if you like.

Thank you so much! As we’re brand spankin’ new to the park maybe we shouldn’t do online check in. Hmm. Oh thank you so much for the information! 😁💖
This. I think part of the Fort experience is getting there and checking in.

I always do online check-in and I'm not sure if really makes it any faster. As far as I know, you still have to go through the reception area and it still takes a significant amount of time but I haven't done it recently so maybe it's changed.

We've done online check-in for the last few years, and have never had to go into the reception area [eta: by that, I mean walk into the Outpost]. We remain in our tv, and rumble up to the gate where they take our names, check our ID's and magic bands, give us our site info, and chat a bit--and off we go. Easy-peasy.

We'd rather do check in at the Outpost when we arrive. There have been times when they have us in a loop different than what we requested, then when reminded, changed us to our preferred loop. Makes me wonder if they always consider your preference?? :confused3
Anyway, we're in and through quickly and happy with our loop - site# doesn't matter to us. We've been in just about every site in loop 100 (some, much more than once) and had no issues with any of them.
Regardless, they seem to have everything ready to put together and takes only a few minutes, at most.

Advantages of Early Online Check-in:

- being able to pay the remaining room balance before arrival
- being able to decline (yet) ANOTHER set of Magic Bands (old ones will still work)
- ability to get pre-assigned site texted to you EARLY (maybe) because you have already paid

If you made a request for a specific loop/site and didn't get it, then you can still stop by the Check-In lobby and negotiate no different than if/when you arrived to physically check in.

We are the types that like to show up early in the morning and although we always do Early Check-In, like North of Mouse says we like to go into the lobby and take with the Cast Members. Maybe a more desirable site coming open that morning that I can get.

It's been my position that it doesn't hurt to do the early on-line check-in but it can hurt if you don't.

Put in a request for the loop you want. You might get it early. But if you show up late then it might be gone.

Bama Ed

No one has ever asked me if I have donuts, sewer or otherwise at check in. Guess I just look prepared.
We usually do not take the dog to Disney, not much for her to do there.

Just to be clear,

If you do the early on-line check-in, you will eventually get a text with your site when it is ready (based on the level of site you requested and anticipated arrival time). If that's fine with you, your magic bands will work on the gates and you can drive right down to your campsite and set up and completely by-pass the check-in area (up to you if you want to get a map or the movie list for the month). Or you can come back and get it later.

Once you get the text (and you supply the cell phone number during early check-in) then you are officially CHECKED IN. Your MB's work and you can't be bumped off your site.

Bama Ed

Put me in the same boat as Bama Ed and North of Mouse, we do online check in and then arrive as early as we can generally around 9am. Last two times our assigned space was not great for us so we asked if anything else was open. First time got site 1811 directly opposite access point for canal dog walk area. Next time we had a site near main road in 1700 loop that wasn't ready yet asked for another was open and again site 1811 was open and we jumped on it We will do it again in December
Unlike PaHunter we bring the girls. They love riding around in the golf cart and going to the dog park to play and sometimes make new friends. They even like just sitting around outside and watching the games on Sunday

Put me in the same boat as Bama Ed and North of Mouse, we do online check in and then arrive as early as we can generally around 9am. Last two times our assigned space was not great for us so we asked if anything else was open. First time got site 1811 directly opposite access point for canal dog walk area. Next time we had a site near main road in 1700 loop that wasn't ready yet asked for another was open and again site 1811 was open and we jumped on it We will do it again in December
Unlike PaHunter we bring the girls. They love riding around in the golf cart and going to the dog park to play and sometimes make new friends. They even like just sitting around outside and watching the games on Sunday
We always bring our 2 four footed girls. They are ready now to jump in the motor coach for the drive from Arizona to the fort. Love their kennels in the rig while we are at the parks for up to 5 hours then in their out door pens with a bully stick for cocktail hour. Lots of walks and cart rides, off to bed and ready for the next day. The girls are one reason we travel by motor coach.

Because we’re new to this we decided not to to do online check in. I wanted to go early but Pete my husband would not, so we arrived at 3:30pm The person at the gate was so kind and helpful and I cried. 😳😅 She was wonderful, assigned our space -which I later changed- and gave us maps, and magic bands.

We needed back up assistance, which gave us a little time peruse the loop. Found a space I vastly preferred and Pete didn’t care so I called and changed. The lady on the phone was so bright and bubbly and it was a very pleasant interaction. She sent Rangers and the fellows that came to help we’re friendly, efficient, and funny! 😁 Pete did a great job backing in, getting us parked, we unhitched, hooked up, and... this place is perfect! Pretty decent internet and we were able to sign into Netflix for the first time in a year, so streaming may be pretty good too! We’re in the the 2100 loop near a little bit of geeen way and everything!

Even the cats are loving it as they have nature (Cat T.V.) out every window! We’ve stayed in parks large and small this past year on the road and this one is kind of a dream come true! 🌲🌿

We've done online check-in for the last few years, and have never had to go into the reception area [eta: by that, I mean walk into the Outpost]. We remain in our tv, and rumble up to the gate where they take our names, check our ID's and magic bands, give us our site info, and chat a bit--and off we go. Easy-peasy.

Thanks. That makes more sense - I was thinking of the "reception area" as the gate you go through with the RV (I don't think I've ever walked into the Outpost even before I was doing online check-in.

Just to be clear,

If you do the early on-line check-in, you will eventually get a text with your site when it is ready (based on the level of site you requested and anticipated arrival time). If that's fine with you, your magic bands will work on the gates and you can drive right down to your campsite and set up and completely by-pass the check-in area (up to you if you want to get a map or the movie list for the month). Or you can come back and get it later.

Once you get the text (and you supply the cell phone number during early check-in) then you are officially CHECKED IN. Your MB's work and you can't be bumped off your site.

Bama Ed

Good to know. I never occurred to me that the MBs would work with the gate so we always enter through the "regular RV entrance gate" and are greeted by an attendant.

Thanks. That makes more sense - I was thinking of the "reception area" as the gate you go through with the RV (I don't think I've ever walked into the Outpost even before I was doing online check-in.

Good to know. I never occurred to me that the MBs would work with the gate so we always enter through the "regular RV entrance gate" and are greeted by an attendant.
Oh I meant at the RV check in area, that’s where she was. I’m sorry if I didn’t make any sense. I’m a bit addled today! 🤪 After getting the cats settled we set out on an adventure to explore the park. They were walking and I was in my ♿️ chair. We ended up at Crockett’s Tavern during a thunderstorm! Fun evening, but I’m a bit sleepy today.

Oh I meant at the RV check in area, that’s where she was. I’m sorry if I didn’t make any sense. I’m a bit addled today! 🤪 After getting the cats settled we set out on an adventure to explore the park. They were walking and I was in my ♿ chair. We ended up at Crockett’s Tavern during a thunderstorm! Fun evening, but I’m a bit sleepy today.
Oct will be our 12th trip to the fort and never a online check in. We do email and give a call to the fort the day before for special loop and site request. We always have new bands waiting at office as we are on the road 3 weeks before arriving at the fort. Usually arrive early,unhook and check out assigned site in tow car and call in change request if needed. Much easier driving through big entry with large rig then side return gate. We love going to the fort office on arrival, visiting CM, getting new special bands, and chatting with other travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts