Onsite worth it for early May?

MrsMud

<font color=green>Thinks the Ghostbuster wearing t
Wow, I can't believe my own ears, but my husband just asked me to look into us staying onsite for our trip in less than 2 weeks! While I would LOVE to stay onsite just to experience the hotels, and understand that front of the line is priceless during busy times, would it really be worth it for this visit? We are going Mon - Wed, May 3 - 5.
I am definitely a budget conscious traveler, and I really don't want to spend the extra money if it will not mean much difference in terms of wait times. Besides FOTL, what other benefits should I consider? We are currently booked at Amerisuites for $59 a night, which includes continental bkfst.

Edited to add:

I called Loew's and I can get a Fan Club rate of $157 at RP, or an Ent. rate of $162 at HRH. What do you think? Please give me your honest opinions. Thanks!

Personally, I would stay onsite no matter what. Even if the wait times were little. Just the convenience of it all, that is priceless to us. If I get tired or too hot, or my little one gets cranky, I can just walk over to the hotel, take a nap, go to the pool, take a shower......... whatever, literally within minutes!!!!!!!!!!!! Then, if I want to go back later, literally just minutes and I'm there!!

fotl is the best regardless, but EVERYTHING else for us is just too good to pass up. As far as rates go???? Do you have any discounts?? AP/ Ent/ Fan club............. etc... etc... I'd call and check it out just so I'd know.......... but I'd stay onsite if you could!!!

I agree with the previous poster, onsite is priceless. We wouldd't do it another way. It is worth it in so many ways.

However, I don't think you are going to find any rooms for less than $100. I think the lowest you might find is around $149 since May is right around the corner.

Good luck!!! :wave:
Susan

Agree.......... the lowest I've seen rates in a couple of years is 109.00 a night, and I've heard that is pretty much non existant now. HOWEVER, you can still check and apply any discount rates you have......... it never hurts to check!!!

Good Luck

Thanks! We decided we are definitely going to do it! Now to decide which hotel. We are leaning toward the HRH for $162 a night. That's a pretty good rate, no? I have heard great things about RP also, but I think I'm getting a better deal with HRH. I only have a few days to cancel the other without penalty, so I think I'll call tomorrow. Does anyone want to try to change my mind before then? :p

Can someone tell me what front of the line means in relation to staying on site? Thanks.
Well, I haven't done it yet, but this is what I've learned here on the DIS:
When you check in on-site you are given a plastic room key(card). When you get to the ride you want to go on (ANY ride)you just show your room key and you get to go to the front of the line or a separate express line. Your wait time is drastically reduced, and you can go on one ride right after the other this way (in comparison to the free Express Pass). Hope I got that right!

Yes this is for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. If you stay at Portofino Bay Hotel, the Hard Rock Hotel, or Royal Pacific Resort, your room key allows you to enter the express line at almost every ride and attraction. You can ride as many times as you want and as often as you want.

Originally posted by momof2minnies
It just dawned on me, you are talking about Universal right?

Don't tell me that you have been staying onsite at Universal and did not know about FOTL.:scared1: Oh my, all of those lines you could have avoided.

Staying onsite is always worth it, IMHO.

I'm shocked about the poster who has stayed onsite and was unaware of FOTL privileges -- YIKES!

We went the first week of May last year. We had almost no wait at either park. So FOTL may not save you much time... But why take the risk??
I agree with everyone else, you can't beat staying onsite.
I personally like Hard Rock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter