Ontario begins Covid testing at pharmacies on Sept25

Silvermist999

DIS Veteran
Looks like Ontario is going ahead with Covid testing inside Shoppers and Rexall stores starting this Friday. More locations will be announced later.

I posted this link in the back to school thread in response to a post by @Donald - my hero but thought those without kids need to know this too!

This has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. I will not be shopping at any Shoppers location offering this free testing, for anything. Not even my PC points will make me step inside a testing location. And I will have my prescriptions transferred elsewhere if my location is added on this list.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgrounder/58491/ontario-expands-covid-19-testing-to-pharmacies-1

There are also hardly any pharmacies in the province offering this. I live in Hamilton and there were none announced here or in any of the niagara region.

There are also hardly any pharmacies in the province offering this. I live in Hamilton and there were none announced here or in any of the niagara region.

It looks like they are starting up first in the province’s Covid hotspots, Toronto, Peel and Ottawa. They mentioned more locations will be joining later, I assume based upon need.

I for one, am deeply grateful that this is starting up. I am a senior citizen and I don’t drive. In all the instructions I’ve seen for getting to a COVID-19 testing site, you are told not to take public transportation to/from the test site. Which only makes sense. None of the local test sites are anywhere near me. I can’t ‘beam’ myself there. At least now, if I need a test, I should be able to get it under my own power.

There will be 13 pharmacies here in Ottawa offer the service. The list has been published.

Is this supposed to catch the asymptomatic cases?

I think a big part of it is for people who need to be tested but likely don’t have covid (some people have mentioned people who work at a long term care home). Or for people who maybe were in proximity too, but not a real close contact of someone who tested positive. Like other people in a class, or workplace.

Is this supposed to catch the asymptomatic cases?
It will help with the massive lines and wait times we are seeing for testing and results. Testing and getting quick results are an integral part of managing Covid in our communities. They will only be testing asymptomatic cases ... maybe someone who suspects they had contact but is showing no symptoms, or someone who has to have a test to return to work or school . It will not be actively symptomatic people. They also have to make an appointment so it wont be people milling about.

I think it’s a step forward in containing and managing the spike we are about to see. We don’t know who is doing the testing , if they’ve hired nurses , where in the store it will be done, or if these people will come in to contact with anyone else. I would imagine public health experts have a plan in place to do this safely. I’m at least willing to hear out the details before jumping to conclusions .

It's interesting that asymptomatic people will only be able to be tested via pharmacy's. That will allow the other sites to focus on those with symptoms. Being able to make an appointment will also be a huge thing here, I am glad they are doing this. The sites nearest me are not where I normally shop but I wouldn't let that impact me, based on how they are supposed to be setting it up I don't think it is any more risky than my everyday shopping. Not that I actually go everyday... you know what I mean :)

I think a big part of it is for people who need to be tested but likely don’t have covid (some people have mentioned people who work at a long term care home). Or for people who maybe were in proximity too, but not a real close contact of someone who tested positive. Like other people in a class, or workplace.
I'm think exactly this. Someone close to them gets sick, with vague symptoms, could be allergies, cold or seasonal flu. But you can't go to work after being around the sick person until you've had a negative test. So you go to the pharmacy, get a test done, but don't want to go where all the actually sick people get their test done. Most pharmacies have signage on the do not to enter if you have any symptoms, or at least the ones here do.

I work in Long Term Care and this is exactly the type of thing the pharmacies are providing testing for. As mandated by the ministry all staff require a covid test every 14 days. Many homes are providing the testing in the home but not all. Also, if you have been off work you require a negative test in order to return and whether the home you work in provides in house testing or not you have to get the test elsewhere as you can't enter the home without a negative test result. There are also many other scenarios that people want to be tested that have had no known exposure.

Edited to add off topic re flu shots and not covid tests:
My apologies if another poster has already updated this but my local pharmacy in Eastern Ontario told me the other day that flu shots available for seniors and those at risk with underlying health issues by first week Oct (now) and everyone else who is considered lower risk will roll out Oct 15. This is an independent pharmacy in a Loblaws chain of grocery stores. They will accept phone in appointments or you can attend at lower peak times eg store opening or later in the evening for walk ups if you are prepared to wait a few mins in the store for your appmt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!