Ontario vacation with young kids

AJ1983

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! We had a trip planned to Dosney for October, which of course is not happening, amd we are skeptical about 2021. As an alternative, we are considering Ontario for next summer, provided we are permitted to travel there without having to quarantine afterwards (we are from NL) and presuming everything is settled enough that we feel safe to travel by plane.

Anyway, looking for opinions on what to do and where to stay with 2 adults and 2 boys who will be 5.5 and a month shy of 3?

So far, Canada's Wonderland and the waterpark, Legoland Discovery Centre and Reptilia (all in Vaughn) look like great options. Interested in the Toronto Zoo and Ripleys Aquarium as well. I also found Centreville Island amusement park which looks fun for kids. But I know nothing about these places so any advice is appreciated.

I am open to any other suggestions, we also have family near Ottawa so looking for options there as well.

As for accomodations we are used to renting a house with a pool in Florida but I dont think that is as widespread here :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Will you be driving or flying here? If you drive, I'd suggest stopping for a few days in Ottawa then going on to Toronto. Though the Zoo and Wonderland are opposite ends of the city, and if you aren't used to driving in TO it may be a bit overwhelming. I live in Ottawa and tend to forget all there is to do, but there are many options for site seeing, museums, the Children's Museum in Gatineau/Hull is wonderful for kids, and the Science and Tech museum as well, or the Nature Musem but if you are going to TO as well I'd suggest the ROM, especially if your boys like dinosaurs.

I highly recommend the Toronto Zoo. (In my opinion it far outshines the San Diego Zoo). Only issue with the Toronto Zoo is that it is a distance from downtown Toronto, and can be a challenge to get to by public transportation, if that’s what you are using. Suggest you plan to take one of their tours, as the zoo is quite spread out.

The Rideau Canal is a good and free place to visit. Jones Falls has a museum,and a blacksmith shop( my daughter watched a nail be made and was given it). There is a lock you can watch the boats go up and down. It is about a 10 - 15 foot change in water level. There is restaurant in the hotel (not expensive). There is also a counter service with hot dogs & hamburgers. They are listed in the CAA books.

Don’t bother with the locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway around Cornwall. It’s boring for most people especially kids. The drop is on a couple of feet which is hardly noticable. The Rideau Canal is much better.

In the 1000 Islands there are boat tours. The kids would be bored on the 2.5 hour tours. You might be able to take a tour boat which just goes to Boldt Castle which the kids would like. Most of the castle is unfinished and kids love to run around inside it.

If you are traveling between Cornwall and Kingston, take the 1000 Islands Parkway and Rt. 2. It is a beautiful scenic route along the St. Lawrence River. Naturally, it will take longer than 401. Depends on how good a rider your kids are. The stretch between the 1000 Island Bridge and Gananoque would be a good ride.

I would not bother with the 1000 Island Tower on Hill Island. It’s expensive and little kids don’t appreciate the view.

We vacationed on the New York side most every year for fifty years And made many trips to Ontario. I haven‘t been there for 15 years, so some of this may be outdated.
Have a nice trip.

I suggest you get the Toronto CityPass. The Ripley's aquarium was great (best aquarium we visited after the Atlanta aquarium) and my kids really had fun at the zoo and Ontario Science Centre. We liked Casa Loma when we visited 15 years ago but that was before our kids. My friends' kids did like it when they went last Spring break.

I live in Toronto and have kids that are 5 and 3. There is so much to do, but I would recommend a big activity every other day at most. The zoo and science centre and Wonderland are all great, but expensive and will tire you and your kids out quickly. If I were you I would find an AirBnB in a family and transit friendly area and plan from there. You might have trouble finding one with a private pool, but no problem finding one in walking distance to a public pool, splash pad or wading pool. I've spent some time in NL and the best thing about Toronto in comparison is the diversity of fun activities in walking distance from wherever you are. There are great playgrounds and libraries and low cost activities for kids everywhere in Toronto, so don't limit yourself to the touristy stuff.

If you're driving Ottawa and Kingston are also good destinations. The City Hall in Kingston looks similar to the one in Paw Patrol, my kids always get a kick out of that! I would skip Niagara Falls with kids that young.

I've spent some time in NL and the best thing about Toronto in comparison is the diversity of fun activities in walking distance from wherever you are. There are great playgrounds and libraries and low cost activities for kids everywhere in Toronto, so don't limit yourself to the touristy stuff.

You nailed it. I looked into doing a staycation here but there is only one "big" thing for my kids outside our city which is a small park with a water slide, splash pad, bumper boats and go carts. And a weekend family pass is more expensive than a season pass to Wonderland! Looking to do more exciting stuff than what we can regularly do on weekends here :)

You nailed it. I looked into doing a staycation here but there is only one "big" thing for my kids outside our city which is a small park with a water slide, splash pad, bumper boats and go carts. And a weekend family pass is more expensive than a season pass to Wonderland! Looking to do more exciting stuff than what we can regularly do on weekends here :)
My kids' favourites (in Toronto) are:
-Science Centre - has lots of interactive things though, so not sure how it will adapt post COVID
-Union Station - just grabbing a snack and watching the trains from the Skywalk is a favourite pastime,there's lots to do in the area for kids (Aquarium, Railroad museum, CN tower)
-Public transportation of any kind - GO train, subway, streetcar, UP Express ... the journey is more fun than the destination sometimes
-Riverdale farm - although maybe not as interesting for kids who live somewhere more rural?
-Beach - Balmy or Kew - quieter than Woodbine
-High Park zoo and castle playground
-Dog fountain and food playground (walking distance east of Union station) at Berczy and St James parks respectively
-ROM - more interesting for my 5 yr old than my 3 yr old
-Ferry to Centre Island - Centreville is a little pricey and dated but still fun, the Island itself is lovely and the ferry is the best part

Last edited:
So far, Canada's Wonderland and the waterpark, Legoland Discovery Centre and Reptilia (all in Vaughn) look like great options. Interested in the Toronto Zoo and Ripleys Aquarium as well. I also found Centreville Island amusement park which looks fun for kids. But I know nothing about these places so any advice is appreciated.
I live near Wonderland, Legoland and Reptilia. I agree with others that some are single day attractions but great ones....Wonderland (great waterpark and then amusement type rides too) and the zoo can be a full day. We took our kids to Reptilia when they were younger. Good for a few hours. You could combine it with Legoland...near each other and both a few hours. Both indoors as well so if weather isn't as good, they are a good option. (Legoland is in Vaughn Mills shopping centre so if you want to do some shopping you could combine that).

Aquarium gets busy but is a fun place for kids. The CN Tower is also next door (both downtown) All pricey so it depends on your budget. Haven't been to Centerville since I was a kid but it would be a day event. Definitely lots to do.

The theatre is also downtown but it depends on what is playing when you come and if anything interests you. (And a couple smaller ones up in Markham and Thornhill)

We've been to the zoo twice and as has been posted it is very spread out and it's a full day. The kids can have a swim too in the park. Ripley's is awesome, been there 3 times and CN tower is right there as well. Expensive but you can do both in the same afternoon. I haven't been to wonderland in a while but with the city now built up all around it there's lots of places to take in some shopping now. It's crazy back before kids my wife and I would grab a footlong hotdog and pop from the main street cart for 5 bucks each for lunch. Can't do that anymore LOL.
Someone already posted that Canada's Wonderland and the zoo are at 2 different ends of Toronto and Google maps shows it right now a half hour drive. You'd think Google by now would factor in Toronto traffic. I would add an hour to that number. If you are driving and haven't been here before you could consider going to Niagara Falls, you are not that far away. There's places to spend money but it's not a total tourist trap there is lots to do.

With kids that age, I'd also look at African Lion Safari. It's in Cambridge, about an hour from Toronto. You drive through with your own car. You get VERY close to the animals.

If you're in Toronto and planning on doing the Zoo, CN Tower, Aquarium and ROM I'd suggest getting the CityPass in order to save some money there.

Someone already posted that Canada's Wonderland and the zoo are at 2 different ends of Toronto and Google maps shows it right now a half hour drive. You'd think Google by now would factor in Toronto traffic.
I use Waze when driving around here. Usually better.

Given the current traffic in Toronto 30 minutes isn't that surprising. There's an outside chance you could do it in the old normal by going north and taking the 407, but I wouldn't put money on it.

We did a week in the Toronto area (we're from the West Coast) and had a great time. We spent a few nights at Great Wolf near Niagara Falls, did Medieval Times, Ripleys Aquarium, and the Toronto Zoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter