Opinion On Connecting Airfare

BABYJOSIE98

DIS Veteran
:confused: I have been keeping an eye on air from St.Louis to Orlando for Jan 30 and come home Feb 8. US air has a fare of $107.00 for a connecting flight. We would arrive in Orlando by 11:30 am on Thursday ,but the returning flights would leave MCO by 12:45. We will be on the cruise and so I did not know if that would be enough time. The first two days of our trip will be spent in WDW. Has anyone had trouble with luggage and such on a connecting flight. We have always done Non stop??? Should I wait till it gets closer and see if Southwest offers a good deal. This is US air. We will have 4 year old with us and so I don't know that I want to do a connecting flight??? Thanks for any help.

I usually go nonstop from hartford, ct to orlando. After 9/11 my flight was changed and I had to take connecting flights. What usually takes about 2 1/2 hours took all day. I would try and get on a direct flight. Also when I went on the cruise my plane was delayed (did not think it would happen to me), something electrical. We made it to the ship on time but just imagine if you had connecting flights. If I take a cruise again I would go down the night before and stay at a hotel for a night.

The connection does offer another chance for a luggage screw-up. However, the only times I've had luggage lost were NON-STOP flights. People fly connecting flights all the time with no problems, and I've done plenty of them. Depending on how long the flight is from STL to MCO, the break might offer your child a chance to run off steam. It also could just add more hours to your travel and be an inconvenience especially if the connection point is out of the way.

I do think 12:45 sounds risky if you're traveling from Port Canaveral to Orlando that morning. Who you should really ask is your TA or Disney Cruise Line, because it might be just fine.

We always fly non-stop. However, when Delta decided to stop flying non-stop from ISP to MCO, we had no choice since we had Delta vouchers. I would never do it again. It was too much stress wondering what would happen if we missed the connections. Besides, it was a pretty good distance from one plane to the other. Never again!

I live in Knoxville, TN and we have to take connecting flights to get almost ANYWHERE. This is not usually a problem, except for taking more time to get to the destination. I would look for a 1 hour layover, if possible, to allow plenty of time for your flight to be a little late and still make the connection. Even if you miss a connection, the airlines will get you where you are going. Again, it will just take longer.

$107 sounds like a great rate to me. I would book it. If money is not a concern, then you could keep looking for a non-stop flight.

I am also planning a cruise for January and would not hesitate to book a 12:45 pm return. That should give you plenty of time. Most people on the cruise board report being able to get off the ship by 8:30 am.

I agree with Peg, take the flight, its an awesome rate! I HAVE to do connecting flights because the local airport is very small and I have had 1 problem with luggage where I got there and made my connection but my luggage was a day late. It was not a big deal since it was on the flight home, but just in case on my way to my vacation I always have a carry on with the bare essentials just in case. For the rate you are getting I would go and book the earliest flight possible. HTH!;)

As long as you have at least an hour between connections, you shoudl be OK. I assume the connection is in Charlotte?, which is a very well laid out airport. I have found, however, that US Airways does not do a very good job with baggage on connections, as I have had bags lost/delayed several times (80% of my connecting flights have had luggage problems). In all cases the luggage was found within a day or 2. It might be just me, but that is something you might consider, although that does sound like a great rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter