opryland (gaylord) convention center

SouthernMom

Earning My Ears
Just found out my son's talent team is going to National competition, and the convetion is being held at opryland/gaylord in orlando. We can not and will not spend the over $300 a night for the room there. Does anyone happen to know of another (affordable) hotel that might be within walking distance? This is getting a little crazy as we already had a Disney vacation planned the first week in June. We're trying to decide whether to shuffle all that around or just make two trips. So much for planning ahead! :-)

Hi SouthernMom!

We drove past this last year whilst it was still being built and I don't remember there being anything at all within walking distance, but maybe someone else knows better.

It sounds absolutely fabulous and I would love to stay there, but $300 a night?! :eek: Are there any offers/discounts to be had?

Hi SouthernMom, a.k.a. Neighbor (I'm from Athens):D , I have to agree with UKDEB. We drove by last year while it was being built and it was all by itself. I don't recall any other hotels within walking distance, but there are several about a mile or so down the road. You can go to Gaylord Palms and sign up for their e-mail list. I get an e-mail about once a week (or every other week? or once a month?) with discount codes in it. I would also guess that the hotel has a special rate or package for this convention coming in at that time. The discount rates that I have been quoted were just under $200, which is still high, but I imagine would be close to being worth it. It would be nice to stay there a night or two and then move on site once his convention was over.:cool: By the way, we passed The Gaylord Palms one night going back to our hotel (we got a little lost :rolleyes: ) and it was very close to the Holiday Inn Family Suites (where we were staying), Buena Vista Suites, the Caribe Royale, and the Marriott Orlando World Convention Center. I would stay at any of these hotels. The Palms is also not that far from the main gate, so even if you decided to stay on site, it wouldn't take you too awfully long to get back to the convention. Hope this helps.:) Have a great time!

Thanks for the info! We're suppose to get some info in a few days as to what sort of convention discount we might get. But with the LEAST expensive rack rate rooms being $325, I'm not holding my breath. Besides, if it's not that far, if I were going to spend anywhere close to that amount about money, I'd go for a deluxe at Dis! Still trying to decide whether to move our whole trip or just go twice! Any opinions on how much difference waiting those three weeks will make in the crowd level? Or maybe I should make that a new thread! :-)

There is not anything within walking distance...the resort is absolutely beautiful. I am guessing you will get some kind of a discount...other people are talking that they are getting rates of around $200 per night.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Calypso Cay was very near the Opryland Hotel. You may want to check it out as they were offering some really good deals for grand opening.

I just stayed here last week, only because Marriott World Center overbooked so I didn't have to pay for it, but I do know someone who just paid $229 a night. I'm sure you can get some discounted rate for the convention or find discount codes or AAA. I can't imagine that all those kids I saw checking in last week would be paying those high prices. The hotel isn't walking distance, but you are right on that oscecala (sp?) parkway that goes right to the Dis. Plus they offer an hourly shuttle at the hotel. It's not Disney but it is nice!

While there are no hotels within (reasonable) walking distance from the Gaylord Palms, there are several very close by (3-5 min drive). The Holiday Inn Family Suites is just north on I - Drive and several Kissimmee/US-192 hotels are due south including all Old Town area hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter