Opting out of fingerprints - any firsthand experience?

DiscoRaptor

Earning My Ears
I’m 19 days out from our trip and my husband simply refuses to do the biometric entry and give his fingerprint. (I think he’s being ridiculous but I’m respecting his wishes here even though I’ve tried reasoning with him and showing him the various articles and information explaining the system). We’ll be prepared to have him show ID but I was wondering if any posters here have firsthand experience with this. I’m wondering if I need to plan for this to take additional time (and if so, how much), or if there’s anything else we need prepare for.

thanks in advance!

Pick a separate entrance line far away from his. Tell him it’s an experiment to see who gets in first.

But seriously... I suspect you will end up trying to smooth the situation over. If he intentionally wants to make things difficult (even if he feels he has a good reason for doing so), why should you get caught up in his drama?

(Perhaps my attitude is why there is no Best Uncle.)

They should clean those finger scanners between each use. I don’t know where the person in front of me just pulled that finger out of.
How about all the other things that guests touch using dirty fingers -- stair handrails, ride lap bars and laser guns, door handles, etc?

Have DH get out his drivers license (has a headshot photo) to be ready to show to the CM at the entrance gate. That would speed things up.

Just for kicks or for ballyhoo purposes they could run a test for a week or two and have a tray full of individually wrapped alcohol pads (like doctors use when give you a flu or other shot) just past the entrance gate and see how many guests partake of that.

Last edited:
I’m 19 days out from our trip and my husband simply refuses to do the biometric entry and give his fingerprint. (I think he’s being ridiculous but I’m respecting his wishes here even though I’ve tried reasoning with him and showing him the various articles and information explaining the system). We’ll be prepared to have him show ID but I was wondering if any posters here have firsthand experience with this. I’m wondering if I need to plan for this to take additional time (and if so, how much), or if there’s anything else we need prepare for.

thanks in advance!
Yes, you should be prepared for it to take additional time. Quite a lot if it's busy. The CM will have to call over another CM with an iPad. There are only so many and if they are all busy you'll have to wait around till one is free. They are rather used to doing it with kids since their prints often come back with an error due to a small fingertip, so once you get with the CM it should go well but you'll have to spend the whole time explaining that he doesn't want to use the fingerprint, he wants to use a photo. Well, let him do the explaining. I'd scan in and go on my way without him, quite honestly. Because I'd be annoyed at him being silly. But maybe I'm the only one that gets annoyed over such things, LOL

The same thing can be said for just about everything else in Disney... and in LIFE.
It is also on the list of things that are outside of your control that you shouldn't worry about.
Or even think about quite honestly.
If you start to think too much, you'll move in to that plastic bubble and go no where.
Worrying about things you can't control makes one old before their time

Yes, you should be prepared for it to take additional time. Quite a lot if it's busy. The CM will have to call over another CM with an iPad. There are only so many and if they are all busy you'll have to wait around till one is free. They are rather used to doing it with kids since their prints often come back with an error due to a small fingertip, so once you get with the CM it should go well but you'll have to spend the whole time explaining that he doesn't want to use the fingerprint, he wants to use a photo. Well, let him do the explaining. I'd scan in and go on my way without him, quite honestly. Because I'd be annoyed at him being silly. But maybe I'm the only one that gets annoyed over such things, LOL
I agree. Let him worry about it. Go through on your own and meet up with him in the otherside.

ETA: Unless his paranoia is the result of a legit mental condition that he is working with a therapist on, then I would be supportive and stay with him

Thanks everyone for your advice and lols. I agree with the sentiment that I’m going to go in ahead of him and let him deal with the extra nonsense.

Pick a separate entrance line far away from his. Tell him it’s an experiment to see who gets in first.

But seriously... I suspect you will end up trying to smooth the situation over. If he intentionally wants to make things difficult (even if he feels he has a good reason for doing so), why should you get caught up in his drama?

(Perhaps my attitude is why there is no Best Uncle.)

LOL! I agree -he’s going to have to jump through those hoops on his own.

Thank for for this response. This is what I sort of expected. Definitely going to make him do al the explaining. I’m beyond annoyed at his silliness here and think that the best thing I can do is not stand around with him and get further annoyed but rather head into the park and start enjoying myself with our children. I don’t want to start out the trip I’ve spent years looking forward to by being frustrated and embarrassed by this choice of his.

When we went last time with my parents, for whatever reason, my mom's fingerprint would not scan the same twice the entire week. It was crazy. Some days it only took a couple minutes. But some days it took 5 minutes or more to get squared away and my mom kept getting flustered because she didn't want to hold up the line. It was very frustrating for her.

I can understand not wanting to give your fingerprints everywhere, technology can be compromised. But I hope he's prepared for that sort of situation because it can be uncomfortable.

i was able to use my finger prints for my kids last trip . is this only allowed for small children or can you do it for other adults ?

found this on disney site
What is the Ticket Tag service and what information is collected through it?
We offer the convenience of Ticket Tag at the entrance of many of our theme parks and water parks. Ticket Tag helps to facilitate ease of re-entry into our parks and helps prevent fraud.
In order to use Ticket Tag, you simply place your finger on a reader. The system, which utilizes the technology of biometrics, takes an image of your finger, converts the image into a unique numerical value and immediately discards the image. The numerical value is recalled when you use Ticket Tag with the same ticket to re-enter or visit another Park. Ticket Tag does not store fingerprints.
Are all guests required to use Ticket Tag?
If you don't want to use Ticket Tag, you can simply carry and show a photo ID that matches the name identified with your ticket.

The system doesn't even take a detailed print or keep it for an extended amount of time.

As paranoid as he is being, I hope you haven't told him about the chips in magicbands/key cards. :rotfl2:

Those are creepy. I got photos of me on the mine train because of the magic band. But I leave my tin foil hat at home and keep Mulder on speed dial.

I'm one that doesn't like offering up such things just willy-nilly..........BUT I doubt that my visit to WDW is gonna be the starting point for some nefarious Govt hit squad coming after me cause I gave them my fingerprint. BTW, my fingerprint is already on file with the DMV here in TX and anyone with any data sense and access could cross reference my name and address with credit card transactions on my cards, see which one was used for our WDW trip, and then see when I scanned my MB to enter the park. I use my tin foil for oven use only. LOL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter