Opting out of fingerprints - any firsthand experience?

There's no reason a small group can't scan in then wait just beyond the inner most tapstile for the last person to finish. Other than to send a message to that person that they are a member of your family up until, but no further than, they cause you a 2 minute delay entering WDW.

Well, it's kinda both. Disney hasn't published who makes their scanners but a security tech journal I read gives it up as most likely a Lumigdem Venus (https://www.bayometric.com/fingerprint-scanner-lumidigm-voyager-v311-v31x-sensor/)

The scanner takes a multispectral pic of your finger and generates a 500 dpi image it then runs a vision routine that looks at all the lines on the print and identifies lines that split into two lines, called bifurcations. It records where on the image all of these bifurcations occur into a unique file attached to your ticket number and then it dumps the image. The fingerprint data in this file, called minutia, is the only thing that's saved and it can not be reassembled into an image of your fingerprint. It just can't, it's only the individual points on your finger where one line splits.
Like I said, a biometric.

I have friends that had issues right after Christmas with the BG not recognizing that one of them was in the park - something related to finger scanning. A news site reported on it as a widespread issue:
https://blogmickey.com/2019/12/wide...f-the-resistance-boarding-groups-this-morning
Can't be that. Despite the report
When I entered they weren't even using finger prints. Though others said they did that day, must have varied by tap point. We had no problems with a BG. There were issues yes, but it wasn't because of a finger scan
Plus, the checking of the ID and photo with iPad take the place of the scanning in. Ticket media is still scanned.
BlogMickey doesn't always get things right

I went once with a group that included one like your husband. We all chided him and said we wouldn't wait for him and all that but ... meh it wasn't a big deal. It added about 2 minutes the first time through and less than a minute the next day. Really, we're talking about a small hassle once per day.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's silly, but the reality is it's not a big deal. If you crucify him over this, be prepared to have zero of your own idiosyncrasies (we all have a few) taken into consideration for the remainder of the trip. You marry someone, you get them, warts and all.
The issue is how many others need help that day and how long you have to wait on the CM with the iPad. There are only so many. I've seen many a time where the CM manning the turnstile just stood there with their hands up for quite a while. The actual process of what the CM does isn't hard. But waiting on them can be

I am a little disheartened that not a single person here has defended your husband.

Just because someone doesn’t want Disney to store their fingerprints, credit card data, and personal information together doesn’t mean he has outstanding warrants or wears tinfoil hats. Some of us actually think about why we’re compelled to provide our personal information and whether we want to participate. Sometimes we literally have no choice, and other times the coercion effectively gives us no choice. But that doesn’t mean I unquestioningly hand over my SSN or blood anytime anyone asks for it.

I readily admit I haven’t studied the technology behind Disney’s specific system (though I’m guessing it’s not publicly available anyway). That’s good that many of you think Disney doesn’t actually take a “fingerprint” or “store” your information. I hope you’re right, but I’m not willing to put blind faith in Disney. Moreover, for those of you who think Disney’s motives are as pure as the driven snow, even its most ardent defenders surely must have SOME doubts about Disney IT’s ability to safeguard your personal information with 100% security. (Yes, you’re trusting the same Disney IT that can’t even get its own app to run reliably to protect your fingerprint—sorry, “biometric data”.)

I have no doubt that if Disney required its customers to provide DNA samples as a condition to enter, people would be lining up for their cotton-swabs. Not me.

I had previously read the same Disney language that thecouch posted earlier and was planning on opting out of the fingerprint scan in favor of showing my license. I honestly didn’t think it was that big of a deal, i.e., akin to showing ID on your way into a bar. I didn’t realize this advertised alternative is more difficult in practice. Because I don’t want to slow the family up, I likely will end up being one of the lemmings happily going off to Room 101. But I don’t think someone is being ridiculous if he chooses to use the non-fingerprint alternative that Disney (at least for now) offers.

Please tell your husband at least one other person shares his concerns.

It is also on the list of things that are outside of your control that you shouldn't worry about.

True. All we can do is wash our hands before eating or touching our faces (or other people’s faces). If we do that, we don’t have to worry about who else has touched things.

https://www.wesh.com/article/ny-man...rld-alibi-overturns-murder-conviction/3818372
Show your DH this. He might want solid proof that he was at Disneyworld!

That’s amazing. Especially amazing is that no one apparently thought to prove this during his trial.

My first trip to WDW I wasn’t expecting to be asked for my fingerprint / biometric info. I hesitated and asked why they need my fingerprint. The CM at the turnstiles basically bullied me into it and said if I’m not willing to do this, I won’t be allowed into the parks. No other options available. No explanation given.

Just be aware that it depends on who your DH runs into when he tries to enter the park - might take a looong time to meet up with you guys. Or maybe he’ll simply cave like I did.

Depending on when your trip was, it might be easier now. It’s literally part of their privacy policy that this “out” is given and alternatives to magic bands are given.

readily admit I haven’t studied the technology behind Disney’s specific system (though I’m guessing it’s not publicly available anyway). That’s good that many of you think Disney doesn’t actually take a “fingerprint” or “store” your information. I hope you’re right, but I’m not willing to put blind faith in Disney. Moreover, for those of you who think Disney’s motives are as pure as the driven snow, even its most ardent defenders surely must have SOME doubts about Disney IT’s ability to safeguard your personal information with 100% security. (Yes, you’re trusting the same Disney IT that can’t even get its own app to run reliably to protect your fingerprint—sorry, “biometric data”.)

What they collect and keep is stated in their privacy policy on the website.

Just like the photos at Disneyland I’m sure a large reason why they do this is to reduce fraud ticketing.

They should clean those finger scanners between each use. I don’t know where the person in front of me just pulled that finger out of.
To be honest, we used bucketfuls of hand sanitiser in 2017. My DH has leukaemia and is very susceptible to germs. He's too sick to travel now but then we were very, very careful about EVERYTHING that we touched, so yes, when we fingerprint scanned and everything.

I am a little disheartened that not a single person here has defended your husband.

Just because someone doesn’t want Disney to store their fingerprints, credit card data, and personal information together doesn’t mean he has outstanding warrants or wears tinfoil hats. Some of us actually think about why we’re compelled to provide our personal information and whether we want to participate. Sometimes we literally have no choice, and other times the coercion effectively gives us no choice. But that doesn’t mean I unquestioningly hand over my SSN or blood anytime anyone asks for it.

I readily admit I haven’t studied the technology behind Disney’s specific system (though I’m guessing it’s not publicly available anyway). That’s good that many of you think Disney doesn’t actually take a “fingerprint” or “store” your information. I hope you’re right, but I’m not willing to put blind faith in Disney. Moreover, for those of you who think Disney’s motives are as pure as the driven snow, even its most ardent defenders surely must have SOME doubts about Disney IT’s ability to safeguard your personal information with 100% security. (Yes, you’re trusting the same Disney IT that can’t even get its own app to run reliably to protect your fingerprint—sorry, “biometric data”.)

I have no doubt that if Disney required its customers to provide DNA samples as a condition to enter, people would be lining up for their cotton-swabs. Not me.

I had previously read the same Disney language that thecouch posted earlier and was planning on opting out of the fingerprint scan in favor of showing my license. I honestly didn’t think it was that big of a deal, i.e., akin to showing ID on your way into a bar. I didn’t realize this advertised alternative is more difficult in practice. Because I don’t want to slow the family up, I likely will end up being one of the lemmings happily going off to Room 101. But I don’t think someone is being ridiculous if he chooses to use the non-fingerprint alternative that Disney (at least for now) offers.

After multiple people here have explained how the biometric scan is useless outside of the confines of WDW, it's a wonder to me how people are still concerned with a partial ID of a finger being a problem. What exactly are you going to do with that finger? I'd be more concerned if they had my license info, although they don't have the SS# on them here anymore. Then they'd have your ID, your image, and your CC info all in one place. And what's the big deal with DNA either? What would you have in your DNA that you feel you need to hide it?

If he worried about the finger print scanner at the park entrance, dont tell him whats inside the Magic Band he is wearing.

It is not a fingerprint. The magicbands are FAR more intrusive than the biometric linked to your park ticket.

Can't decide if this thread is amusing or getting too personal and in danger of being closed.

Regardless, since this is moving away from relevancy related to theme park attractions and strategies, moving to Theme Parks Community.

i was able to use my finger prints for my kids last trip . is this only allowed for small children or can you do it for other adults ?

I was able to use my finger print for my 93 year old mother in December. She has rheumatoid arthritis and her fingers are really bent, so the scanner wouldn't work properly for her. I have no idea if they would allow this for your husband or not. Sorry, if this has been addresses...I didn't read the whole thread.

It is not a fingerprint. The magicbands are FAR more intrusive than the biometric linked to your park ticket.

It is not letting me post the link, but from the very first article that came up for my search of "Disney fingerprint":

"For Disney to say they are not storing the actual fingerprints, they are," countered Former FBI agent J.J. Klaver. "They are storing the digital representation of that fingerprint."

I don't think any of us can say with 100% certainty what Disney is doing with our data. More importantly, we can't say with 100% certainty that they will securely keep our data.

We can debate whether a magicband is more intrusive, but I don't use one.

... widespread issues ...
The finger scan can be turned off for all tapstiles from a control booth. In which case the mickey head turns green before the guest can get his finger into the scanner. Or the CM at the tapstile can turn that head green for any one guest at the touch of a button. But if not and guests run the red light, er, run the blue mickey head, then their entrance into the park might not be registered correctly.

Moral of the story: Get the green mickey head whatever it takes.

... they should clean ...
I would not be surprised if a speck of dirt on the finger scanner messes up the scan for one or several guests. If it was the first scan for a particular ticket for a particular guest that got messed up then that guest will get stopped at tapstiles every day thereafter because his clean finger scan did not match the original corrupted scan. Hmmm. Should guests wipe off their finger and then the scanner with a moistened piece of tissue themselves?

... press hard enough ...
If you don't press your finger down on the scanner then not enough skin of your finger will touch the glass plate and be in focus for the scanner, and a different scan result will occur compared with a harder press (does not need to be tremendous).

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned if they had my license info, although they don't have the SS# on them here anymore. Then they'd have your ID, your image, and your CC info all in one place.
I don't want them having my license info either. Do they scan/copy your license? I thought it would be something like you just show them photo ID to ensure you are the person whose name appears on your ticket. If that is sufficient to keep terrorists off planes, it should be sufficient to make sure people aren't giving their paid-for tickets to friends.

And what's the big deal with DNA either? What would you have in your DNA that you feel you need to hide it?
We'll just have to agree to disagree if you place zero value on your personal information. Is there literally nothing you would have any qualms about handing over?

It is not letting me post the link, but from the very first article that came up for my search of "Disney fingerprint":

"For Disney to say they are not storing the actual fingerprints, they are," countered Former FBI agent J.J. Klaver. "They are storing the digital representation of that fingerprint."

I don't think any of us can say with 100% certainty what Disney is doing with our data. More importantly, we can't say with 100% certainty that they will securely keep our data.

We can debate whether a magicband is more intrusive, but I don't use one.
You do realize even the FBI agent doesn't know. He's just guessing.

I don't want them having my license info either. Do they scan/copy your license? I thought it would be something like you just show them photo ID to ensure you are the person whose name appears on your ticket. If that is sufficient to keep terrorists off planes, it should be sufficient to make sure people aren't giving their paid-for tickets to friends.

We'll just have to agree to disagree if you place zero value on your personal information. Is there literally nothing you would have any qualms about handing over?
Good thing is, going to the theme park is voluntary. Don't like the requirements to enter, don't go. Seems easy enough, no? Especially if you are morally opposed to a policy. Why give that company ANY money? I sure wouldn't.
And it's a far cry from their having a biometric scan of a fingerprint to their having all necessary personal information to get in to the wrong hands.
Lets say that database of fingerprint scans/biometrics, is hacked. What on earth is that data going to do for anyone?
Especially for someone with a ticket that is only valid for a few days.
The data isn't even tied to anything else, since when that ticket is gone, the info is no longer there. A new biometric is needed to return with a new ticket.

Just amazing... I only hope that many of those comments are just trolling. I shutter to think that many people have so little ability to understand and yet think they do. Oh, well... life as it is today.

I'm not sure I understand WHY you think the biometric scan they are taking NEEDS to be protected? What could a hacker possibly do with that? The answer is nothing. There is no way to use that data against you as it isn't a fingerprint at all. They do not take enough points of reference to stand up in court, so even if they DID store it adn it DID get compromised in some way it isn't useful to anyone. That is at least in part why Disney chose this system.

There actually IS a good bit of information out there about the type of system Disney is using, how it works, and why it is safe. I read a good bit on it when they first implemented it, but that was years ago and I don't have the sources now. If you are interested I am sure you can find the info with a little digging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter