Orange Lake Owner/Covid-19 Cancellations?

poohbear2

<font color=CC66CC>Disney Think Formula is:<br>HE=
Hi,

I don't even know where to start. I checked websites but I can't get through to anyone.
I own a week, not points and was scheduled to go at the end of April. I was trying to get in touch to cancel and see what the protocol is but every time I get a phone number it is not dialing through etc. I then was trying to get online through owners but need a code which I do not have and am directed to call. I call but no response. Is anyone successful with this? Am I too early to contact anyone? Will they contact me? My check in date is April 26th. Thanks for any advice you have for me.

No big blanket email or anything? As a Wyndham owner, we got a mass email giving us info on what is impacted by the COVID-19 situation. I would think most timeshare companies would communicate somehow with owners.

I'd try hopping over to the TUG (Timeshare Users Group) forums and post your question there if you don't get any other Orange Lake owners popping in here to answer your question.

Best of luck!

Hi,

I don't even know where to start. I checked websites but I can't get through to anyone.
I own a week, not points and was scheduled to go at the end of April. I was trying to get in touch to cancel and see what the protocol is but every time I get a phone number it is not dialing through etc. I then was trying to get online through owners but need a code which I do not have and am directed to call. I call but no response. Is anyone successful with this? Am I too early to contact anyone? Will they contact me? My check in date is April 26th. Thanks for any advice you have for me.
It depends on what you own, and as @KristinU suggests, TUG is a really good place to go to get answers. Orange Lake is run by HICV (Holiday Inn Club Vacations), and I don't see any posts on that specific forum on TUG related to COVID cancellations. You can probably start with the HICV website to see what they are doing regarding cancellations, this might help https://hicv.com/newsroom/coronavirus-statement . Every company is different. We are with Marriott (Sheraton Vistana) and their response has been less than ideal for most owners.

If you own a float week, then there is a possibility that they will be able to reschedule for you, or allow you to deposit the week into your exchange company if you can't use it. If you own a deeded week (like we do) then you are probably out of luck. In that case, you own that week, and if it doesn't get used, it sits empty but the maintenance must still be paid. We had our villa rented last week, but the party cancelled less than 24 hours before checkin. Despite the short notice, and our 'no cancellations' policy we decided to split the loss with them considering the circumstances, but there is no consideration for me from the management company (Marriott).

So this is what ended up happening and I am not too happy but "whatever".
I called Orange Lake because my vacation date was in the covered time period for cancellations. When I called I was told that I had to deposit my week with RCI because that's how they do it with fixed weeks. So of course I had to reinstate my RCI membership I had dropped RCI because I found no reason in using them if I go to the home resort every year. I get connected with RCI and then after I pay I am told It is only worth 12 pts because its 2 weeks before my date. I guess I should of called a couple of weeks ago but I suppose that wasn't going to change my amount of points. Just frustrated and need to vent.

So, let me make sure I understand this correctly since I was considering purchasing Holiday Inn Club Vacations-Orange Lake on the resale market. So if I understand correctly HICV only allows you to exchange your fixed week thru RCI if you don't travel on the fixed week you were assigned. And, you have to do it two weeks BEFORE your travel date for it to be exchangeable. Now here is my question....if you have a fixed week #17 and you want to travel on week #27....can you do that? And if you can, what is the process? I started to buy a 2 bedroom fixed week #26 which sometimes will be a July 4th week. Now would I be able to exchange that week for any week in July or August since that is when I generally travel? Or should I only buy the week I usually travel to be on the safe side. Someone please clear up the HICV process of options if you cant travel during your assigned week. Please. I am curious because I am considering purchasing on the resale market. I know to change over to points would cost a lot and that would not be an option I would be willing to contemplate. ****I will also go over to TUG to ask this question***

So, let me make sure I understand this correctly since I was considering purchasing Holiday Inn Club Vacations-Orange Lake on the resale market. So if I understand correctly HICV only allows you to exchange your fixed week thru RCI if you don't travel on the fixed week you were assigned. And, you have to do it two weeks BEFORE your travel date for it to be exchangeable. Now here is my question....if you have a fixed week #17 and you want to travel on week #27....can you do that? And if you can, what is the process? I started to buy a 2 bedroom fixed week #26 which sometimes will be a July 4th week. Now would I be able to exchange that week for any week in July or August since that is when I generally travel? Or should I only buy the week I usually travel to be on the safe side. Someone please clear up the HICV process of options if you cant travel during your assigned week. Please. I am curious because I am considering purchasing on the resale market. I know to change over to points would cost a lot and that would not be an option I would be willing to contemplate. ****I will also go over to TUG to ask this question***
TUG would be the best place to ask this question, but answering generically, if you are buying a true fixed week where you hold the deed to a specific week (that is what my SVR ownership is) then yes, the only way to exchange weeks is by depositing to an exchange company (RCI or II) and then booking the week you want through that same channel. This does come with additional costs, and note that RCI discounts deposits by a couple of points - my week might get me 42 points (TPU) on deposit but requires 44 points to book, so it is hard to book a more desirable week. A July 4 week should get great value however as that is one of the best weeks in Orlando.
If what you are buying is a flexible or floating week then you should have the ability to book any week in your season. That is how our second ownership at Silver Lake works. Each year I have the option to book any week in my season, or any week in the year with a minor upgrade fee ( a few $$ per night more), or deposit a week in my season to RCI. When depositing MOST resorts have the right to pick the week they deposit for you, so you may not get the best value week. One thing I like about my SLR is that they always deposit my underlying week which is a pretty good late summer week and also gains good training value.
My biggest advice to you is to keep renting at various timeshare resorts until you find the one you absolutely must own at because you are SURE you will be back every year. Until that point, continue to rent. In general you can rent timeshare weeks for less than you can own them, and you don't owe anything when you decide you aren't going that year (or ever again for that matter). I bought timeshares because I never made time for travelling. Owning changed my life by making me plan a vacation every year since I already paid for it. Based on your post history, you don't have this requirement; you seem to travel every year already, so SERIOUSLY question you motives for why you want to buy a timeshare and pay fees for it every year for the rest of your life.

My biggest advice to you is to keep renting at various timeshare resorts until you find the one you absolutely must own at because you are SURE you will be back every year. Until that point, continue to rent. In general you can rent timeshare weeks for less than you can own them, and you don't owe anything when you decide you aren't going that year (or ever again for that matter). I bought timeshares because I never made time for travelling. Owning changed my life by making me plan a vacation every year since I already paid for it. Based on your post history, you don't have this requirement; you seem to travel every year already, so SERIOUSLY question you motives for why you want to buy a timeshare and pay fees for it every year for the rest of your life.

Thanks @bankr63 , I have been trying to decide if I want to own again(former Westgate Owner), and narrowed it down between Sheraton and Orange Lake. I think I am going to take your advice and continue renting. I agree with you that renting is best for me to stick to right now. For the last few years we seem to always travel the last 2 weeks of August and that is what I was looking for. Something definite instead of always having to shop for rentals. However, my initial reason for renting was to have the ability to stay at different resorts for less than what I would pay for MFees. And that still holds true. If I buy, I will be defeating that purpose. So you are right, wait until something comes along that I REALLY want. Something that is in the season I always want to travel and a place I LOVE being at instead of feeling stuck/obligated. I appreciate you talking me down from the ledge. I will continue to keep my eyes open for Orange Lake 3 bedroom instead of 2 bedroom in either Tennis Villas or River Island. I will try my best to resist temptation and not settle for anything less. My DS27 and his family may decide to come and stay a few days sometimes. If I have a 3 bedroom, they won't have to find a 1 bedroom rental for themselves. They can stay with us instead. We also have family members who live near Orlando, so a 3 bedroom will guarantee I will always have extra space available for more of us to enjoy time together. Thanks again for reading my posts and reading between the lines of what I'm REALLY looking for. Between Disboards and TUG forums, I can always count on solid advice from many perspectives and experiences. Thanks again @bankr63.

P.S. My DH thanks you too. He enjoys renting instead of owning. BUT...he agrees if we decide to own again, it should be somewhere we DEFINITELY want to go to every year REGARDLESS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter