Original Doritos

I liked the taco Doritos and remember when nacho cheese came out as a new flavor. Anyone else remember the commercials in the 70’s with Avery Schreiber? He was half of the comedy duo Burns and Schreiber, who had their own TV show.

I don't remember that far back, but I remember when Cool Ranch was fairly new (but not for the introduction) that Jay Leno was doing commercials for it.

Weird, because I always thought Nacho Doritos was the original flavor. Never saw anything else as a kid until Cool Ranch came. Taco I'd never seen until well after Cool Ranch.

I don't know what the intent of asking about Doritos specifically on a Disney forum, but I also didn't know this...

Dang it, I have a habit lately of not reading the next posts before I quote...
You do realize that MOST of the posts on the Community board have nothing at all to do about Disney, right? I found your comment kind of odd for someone that's been around for a while.

Last edited:
When I was a kid they only had one flavor, nacho cheese, then came Cool Ranch. I miss the orignal chips that didn't have so much cheese on them, now there's too much. I've never seen the unflavored variety.

Growing up, Nacho Cheese was the big one, Taco was "special release" that would occasionally come around. Then Cool Ranch came out and that was HUGE!

I want to say I remember an original, I think it was in a yellow bag where as taco was, and still is, in the old school orange bag.

I miss Salsa Verde. I know they are widely available in the west, but sadly not here in the midwest. That is hands down my favorite! (taco comes in a distant second)

I'm dating how old I am, but I remember when nacho cheese was the best selling one, and I was under the impression that it was the original. I also remember when cool ranch came out and I wasn't terribly impressed. However, it's my favorite now, so I guess it just grew on me.
Cool Ranch is gross, LOL. I am not a fan of ranch anything except for dusting a roast in the crockpot with ranch seasoning.

The original was actually out for many years. It wasn't until 5 or so years ago did they become hard to find. Wonder if they were marketed in different parts of the country. I know for sure that Texas and Colorado had the original.
I had never seen the original, which was 1964 I think I read? Also until well after Cool Ranch, I had never seen Taco. I thought it was a new flavor when I was in high school, and it was 2nd in 1967. I can't say I recall the Nacho coming out because it came out in 1972, the year I was born.

You do realize that MOST of the posts on the Community board have nothing at all to do about Disney, right? I found your comment kind of odd for someone that's been around for a while.
Of course. It was a comment on Doritos originating from Disneyland and this is an oddball topic but not to be unexpected on the community or off-topic parts of a forum. The wonder i think is natural to comment about the topic originating in Disney on a Disney forum. Has nothing to do with the kinds of topics that happen in off-topic sections.

I remember the plain Doritos and I remember when the taco flavor was introduced. As substitute in a casserole I'd go with On The Border brand tortilla chips. The "Cafe" style will be very close to the original Doritos.

Pro Tip: Try the "Cantina Style" On The Border Chips. They are very thin, you can warm them in the oven for 3-5 minutes and they will be like fresh tortilla chips served at a restaurant. :)

There was Taco and Nacho Cheese - then of course Cool Ranch came out and was a game-changer!
I always thought Nacho Doritos was the original flavor. Never saw anything else as a kid until Cool Ranch came.
I always thought Nacho Cheese was the original flavor as well.
I remember when nacho cheese was the best selling one, and I was under the impression that it was the original. I also remember when cool ranch came out
I had no idea that the nacho cheese flavor wasn't the original. I have never seen the toasted corn ever.
See, and here I would have thought "Nacho Cheese" was the first Doritos flavor. I'm an 80's kid.

Add me to this list. I never knew there was anything before Nacho Cheese, and the Cool Ranch flavor was a college staple! That's what I'd use in the recipe.

I remember when there were the plain Doritos and the taco flavor. I also remember when the nacho cheese came along. We didn't eat Mexican food, so I had no idea what nacho cheese flavor would taste like. I remember they were the only ones in the store that day, so we gave them a try. Not my favorite. :p

I'm munching on some blue corn tortilla chips now. I found a company called Garden of Eatin', that makes salt-free ones, and I really like them. I don't miss the salt at all. I actually find I eat less chips overall. So, it must be a salt craving that makes me eat a lot more.

And I just found a great salsa to go with the chips. Target has their own brand called Archer Farms. They make a pineapple - peach salsa that I really like. It's mild, and has a sweet taste. It's a nice change from regular salsa, that can be a bit on the sour side.

I remember the plain Doritos and I remember when the taco flavor was introduced. As substitute in a casserole I'd go with On The Border brand tortilla chips. The "Cafe" style will be very close to the original Doritos.

Pro Tip: Try the "Cantina Style" On The Border Chips. They are very thin, you can warm them in the oven for 3-5 minutes and they will be like fresh tortilla chips served at a restaurant. :)

I'm not much of a chip eater (and I especially dislike Doritos), but if these Cantina Style chips enter my home, I eat the whole bag.

*Bowing* I am not worthy to post in your presence, tortilla queen.

I bought a Sam's Club sized bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos yesterday, ate a few handfuls, then gave the rest away to coworkers. I don't want that stuff in my house. It's like crack.

@Kirby After reading all about Doritos, now I need the recipe! Do you mind sharing?
Not at all.

1 lb. ground beef
1 can pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 pkg. grated mild cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. Doritos (crushed)

Cook meat in large skillet with onion, drain grease. Add beans, soup and Rotel. Cook slowly for about 5 - 10 minutes. Layer part of crushed Doritos and cheese in large casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of meat mixture over it. Add Dorito and cheese layers again topping with rest of meat mixture. Add cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I've only used 3/4 a bag of Doritos when I've made it. As far as the cheese, I use 8 oz.

Last year they re-released the original flavor/packaging as part of the retro line with Stranger Things. Kroger has had it off/on since then.

I worked for Frito Lay until about 6 months ago. They've brought the original flavor Doritos back twice in the last few years, maybe they will again. It will vary regionally, as well. My area gets product from Topeka, Kansas, but it depends on where you live what products are available. There are several older recipes that call for the original Doritos, toasted corn flavor in the yellow bag.

Amazing how something so big could come from just trying to use up extra tortillas. Another fun note from that world, a janitor at Frito-Lay invented the "Flamin' Hot" flavor used in Cheetos and Doritos. He at one point worked his way up to a VP!

There was controversy over this, where the origin was traced to their food development lab in the Chicago area.

Yes, the more I think about it the more I think of Taco Flavor as the original. I don't think anyone ever ate the "plain" when I was little. There was Taco and Nacho Cheese - then of course Cool Ranch came out and was a game-changer!

If you read the Wikipedia you saw, and I'm sure many people here know this, that Doritos were invented at Disneyland!
The original (plain) version was not Taco.It was just Nacho Cheese and plain Doritos that came in a bright yellow bag like reg Lays chips for years,then came Cool Ranch and other flavors years later.I've been looking for plain for years..saw them once like 10 years ago a fluke,but they were replaced with those Santos 2$ bag chips instead.Those old yellow plain Doritos made the best homemade nachos.

Not at all.

1 lb. ground beef
1 can pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 pkg. grated mild cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. Doritos (crushed)

Cook meat in large skillet with onion, drain grease. Add beans, soup and Rotel. Cook slowly for about 5 - 10 minutes. Layer part of crushed Doritos and cheese in large casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of meat mixture over it. Add Dorito and cheese layers again topping with rest of meat mixture. Add cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I've only used 3/4 a bag of Doritos when I've made it. As far as the cheese, I use 8 oz.

I have tried something like that, only we leave out the onion... we call it taco bake and it is one of our favorite nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!