OT-Chicago Must See Items

ktkerber

Mouseketeer
We are visiting Chicago for a weekend in July. What are some must see or must do items that are budget friendly for someone who has never been there?? We are already planning a Chicago Cubs game, Wrigley field tour and Hamilton. Our children are DS15 and DD18, so no small kids.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

We are visiting Chicago for a weekend in July. What are some must see or must do items that are budget friendly for someone who has never been there?? We are already planning a Chicago Cubs game, Wrigley field tour and Hamilton. Our children are DS15 and DD18, so no small kids.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Field Museum and the Art Institute of Chicago are some of my favorites. While down there, you can walk around Millennium Park, which is fun when the weather is nice. Lincoln Park Zoo can be a good trip and since it is free, it is very budget friendly. You can window shop on Michigan Ave. When I am there, I like to stop into Ghirardelli's for an ice cream sundae. You could also look into Navy Pier and see if that interests your group.

Last edited:
Millennium Park (The Bean) and Grant Park (Buckingham Fountain) are free. There's also the Lurie Garden there. The riverwalk is also free. Just walking on Michigan Avenue is great, or shopping on State Street. There's a great statue of Lincoln at Michigan and Wacker (across from the Wrigley Building and next to the Tribune Tower). WGN radio broadcasts to the sidewalk from the Tribune Tower -- you can watch the radio show from the sidewalk. Lincoln Park Zoo is free.

Navy Pier has got good restaurants and seasonal stuff -- they've got some great fireworks Wednesdays and Saturdays in July.

The Art Institute (near Millennium and Grant Parks) is amazing--if you're into art (there's also stuff by Frank Lloyd Wright and some cool miniature rooms. It's not free, though -- I think it's like $25/pp. The Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry (there's a submarine) and Shedd Aquarium are also great if there's interest in your group.

The Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has a skydeck -- I've not been, but if you're looking for a view.... Also, the former John Hancock building has a great view.

You'll want to get some Chicago-style pizza -- Uno's or Giordano's.

You'll definitely need to pick and choose -- there's way too much stuff to try to see in a weekend. Have a great time!

Head to one of the many beaches. Depending on where you are staying, North Ave. Beach, Oak Street Beach, and the Beach by Navy Pier are all great. There usually is a free Navy Pier shuttle that goes from River North (by the Grand Red Line station) all the way to Navy Pier with a few stops inbetween.

I love to go to the top of the Handcock building to the lounge (not the restaurant but you could do that too!) for drinks (not sure if this is 21+ or not). Beautiful view at night.

Check out the outdoor concerts in Millennium Park or Movies in the Park there as well. Picnic dinner from one of the many places on Michigan (Shake Shack is right across the street) for a great night.

There are so many things to see and do.

When we went in February to see Hamilton we went to The Field Museum and the Art Institute of Chicago. They were both great experiences!

The middle weekend in July is the Rock and Roll Marathon-it will be very busy with many street closures if you go that weekend.

We like the Shedd Aquarium, our son was 15 when we went and loved it. Navy Pier has a little bit of something for everyone. I second Giordano's for pizza. The zoo was free and worth a few hours. Michigan Ave is a good place to window shop and grab some food.

The Museum of Science and Industry!!! It has been my favorite since I was a kid. There are so many fun, interactive exhibits to see.

We love the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum and the Art Institute. If your kids are fans of Ferris Bueller's Day Off they can see the painting that Cameron was fixed on (A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte) at the Art Institute.

The Field Museum has a dinosaur exhibit right now on the lawn that is supposed to be amazing.Chicago has so much to offer that it's hard to pinpoint just a few! Chicago in the summer is gorgeous! The skyline is incredible.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestons!! We are definitely gonna try some of these!!

Besides, Giordano's, what are some great places to eat we wouldn't want to miss?

Thanks again!!

Thanks so much for all of the suggestons!! We are definitely gonna try some of these!!

Besides, Giordano's, what are some great places to eat we wouldn't want to miss?

Thanks again!!

We ate at Beef and Brandy and it was delicious.

Take a Wendella boat tour down the Chicago river. Very Informative and unique history of Chicago history.

I've done the Lake + River Tour, takes you through the locks into Lake Michigan along with the river tour

Thanks again!!

Wildberry is AMAZING for breakfast/brunch. There might be a few locations, but I know there is one right across the street from Millennium Park/The Bean. It's always busy. The cinnamon roll pancakes... dear me, my mouth is watering just thinking about them!

I also want to mention that the shopping is also pretty awesome on State Street and is much closer to the theater district.

If you're not from the Chicago area, you should go to Portillo's. It's hard to explain, but it's a Chicago style eatery with many stations (hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, hamburgers, pasta, etc.). The chocolate cake (or a chocolate cake shake) is great!

Eataly is fun, too, if you're not from an area known for Italian food. It's a giant "market" with small restaurants inside.

I 2nd Portillo's - don't know what it is about that place, but I just love it. For pizza, another popular one is Gino's East. Garrett's popcorn is also great.

Also, if you like Nutella (and have time to wait) a new cafe recently opened on Michigan Avenue at Lake Street. Be prepared to wait, though.

Garrett Popcorn is all Chicago - Nuts on Clark has a similar product (and I think it's less pricey).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!