OT- how to keep a child with autism busy?

la79al

DIS Veteran
I originally posted this in Disney for Families but someone suggested I post it here, so here it is--
I work with a little girl who is 5. She has been diagnosed with autism and developmental delays. I am with her in a daycare setting where her behavior (hitting, headbanging, etc) is getting worse and worse as the summer goes on and she is there all day long. I am thinking that it is boredom with the toys that have been at the daycare for almost a year now. So I need to find ways to alleviate the boredom and the behaviors. She is non-verbal but working on ASL. She likes to spin and match things (though she's getting bored with matching as it is very easy for her). Anyone have any ideas on toys or activities? Keep in mind we are in a room with 15 other kids though I can take her out of the room to get some peace. Anyone know of anyplace I can get file folder games without buying the books? TIA

I originally posted this in Disney for Families but someone suggested I post it here, so here it is--
I work with a little girl who is 5. She has been diagnosed with autism and developmental delays. I am with her in a daycare setting where her behavior (hitting, headbanging, etc) is getting worse and worse as the summer goes on and she is there all day long. I am thinking that it is boredom with the toys that have been at the daycare for almost a year now. So I need to find ways to alleviate the boredom and the behaviors. She is non-verbal but working on ASL. She likes to spin and match things (though she's getting bored with matching as it is very easy for her). Anyone have any ideas on toys or activities? Keep in mind we are in a room with 15 other kids though I can take her out of the room to get some peace. Anyone know of anyplace I can get file folder games without buying the books? TIA

Are you an OT? or a daycare facilitator? Your thread says OT-Occupational Therapist, that is what I am thinking. I need more info. Do you have an assistant with 15 children? Is this a regular ed daycare? Or a special ed daycare? I would like to know the environment to give you as much info as I can to help you.

Try puzzles or maybe a more difficult matching game, building with legos or a toy that needs to be put together like links.

My first thought was- our school nurse has a collection of those little box-mazes, the little plastic boxes with the bb and the maze? I don't know if they have a "real name" or not. Anyway, DS is fascinated by them, just enough to keep him occupied during a breathing treatment or whatever. They are pretty small and pretty quiet.

The ones she has were actually a drug company promo, but I found some at the Dollar Tree.

How is your schedule in the summer? Meaning is it predictable or loosie goosie because it is the summer? I find that my daughters, who is high functioning ASD , behavior gets worse if she doesn't know whats going to happen next and several summers ago summer school was very loosie goosie and she hated it. If you can make a picture schedule for her so she knows what will happen next that might help. I just use a dry erase calender at home that says what we are going to do each day and then when we leave the house where we are going. (ok sometimes I have to tell her several times on the way). As far as games go I agree get more puzzles, DD loves puzzles too. Try and get some that are actually for an older child to give her a challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter