OT (kinda) ASL Class-Need Help!

AdventureGuru

<font color=darkgreen>HA! Do men come with instruc
Hi Everyone!
I am currently enrolled in an ASL class. It is something that I have to take for college, but will be the most helpful when I start my new career.
To start my professor is deaf. Which I personally think is AWSOME! This way we HAVE to learn to communicate with him. He is very patient. Since this is the first session (ASL 1) we are required to learn 1500 signs. We haven't done any "conversation" or putting the signs together to form sentences. This is leaving me kind of frustrated b/c I don't want to forget the stuff I've already learned. I'm guessing they will be putting together the conversational aspect of it next session, next month.

For all of you adults out there that have had to learn ASL, what worked for you? I practice constantly. I walk around the mall and sign things, finger spell road signs as I drive and there is a TV show on WCNY on Sundays that I watch to refresh and practice.
Does it eventually just come to you?

I want to be as fluent as possible...and I don't want to "loose it" if I'm not using it.

Thank you for your insight!
I appreciate it!

I've used that site...the people on it look mad! I just hope I can get to the point where I can string signs into a sentence...:yay: that would make me happy!!!

i've been teaching myself ASL for years... eventually i hope to take a class and get good enough to go to disney and work as an interpreter!!

ASLpro is not an ASL site at all. It has been a big source of discussion on various interpreter sites because it is called ASL but is more signed English in nature.
To keep up your skills look for Silent Dinners, Deaf Ministries connected with churches, the local deaf events, deaf friends.
To become an interpreter takes more than a few ASL classes. There are 2 year degrees and 4 year degrees and even Masters and Docorates in ASL linguistics. You will need to go through an interpreter training program that is a minimum of a AA degree starting 2008 and by 2016 I think you will need a BA to qualifiy for certification. And then you need a time of apprenticeship and state qualification before you are even ready to get national certification. Without a QA you won't even get your foot in the door at Disney.

talking hands, no offense meant, but that was a little harsh sounding. i realize how hard it is to become an interpreter. it is a full language. you could not teach french without a degree, so why could you do ASL without one? i was just giving that as the only resource i have found for ASL, but i am open to other suggestions.

obviously you need training to be an interpreter. i was just saying that was a some-day dream. with a degenerative condition, it may be one of the few things i will be able to go in the future. just saying i felt a little hurt at the harsh tone of your reply.

Thanks Talking Hands
My prof actually suggested ASLpro. He also has us going to a deaf event...my first one is Friday...I am sooo nervous...but I'm trying...
Is there anything I can do to make it easier???

talking hands, no offense meant, but that was a little harsh sounding. i realize how hard it is to become an interpreter. it is a full language. you could not teach french without a degree, so why could you do ASL without one? i was just giving that as the only resource i have found for ASL, but i am open to other suggestions.

obviously you need training to be an interpreter. i was just saying that was a some-day dream. with a degenerative condition, it may be one of the few 2 things i will be able to go in the future. just saying i felt a little hurt at the harsh tone of your reply.
Sorry I sound harsh but I was only stating what the RID requirements are to become a certified interpreter. I have been interpreting for 7 years and am a member of RID, FRID, TriFRID, NAD and FAD. First 3 are interpreter organization and the last 2 are associations of the deaf. I am also an active part of the deaf community.

Thanks Talking Hands
My prof actually suggested ASLpro. He also has us going to a deaf event...my first one is Friday...I am sooo nervous...but I'm trying...
Is there anything I can do to make it easier???
Relax, enjoy and know they won't bite. They know you are new at ASL and will not expect you to know a lot. Watch.

Relax, enjoy and know they won't bite. They know you are new at ASL and will not expect you to know a lot. Watch.

I know this will sound stupid...but I feel like I'm staring...but it seems like such an art!
Here is a really silly question...but can you be involved with the deaf community regularly...even if you hear...I don't want to show up to things uninvited...again...sounds silly....I know...

Yes of course you can as long as you identify yourself as an ASL student. Some willl not like you but must will be fine with it. How better to learn but from deaf people. They will correct you, teach you, tease you and eventually you will make friends with some of them.

Yes of course you can as long as you identify yourself as an ASL student. Some willl not like you but must will be fine with it. How better to learn but from deaf people. They will correct you, teach you, tease you and eventually you will make friends with some of them.

I can try...but have a tendency to get shy in situations that I am unfamiliar...this gets better with time and as I get comfortable...I guess we will see how it goes...thank you for your guidance....
I'll let you know how tomorrow night goes...
Guru

Here's some pixie dust and prayers that all goes well and you have a great time.

Well, I went to the deaf event for school and wanted to leave with in moments of being there. It was amazingly intimidating...Some woman signed to me and I got a blank look on my face (pure panic-my poor little mind could not keep up with her fast fingers and then I forgot EVERYTHING I've been taught. I'm actually pretty fluent in class and have even been praised for it...) and then she made a sign like she wanted to strangle me...That was a HUGE turn off to even wanting to be there. The only thing I signed was "My name is..." I was there for 55 minutes and hi tailed it out of there as soon as I could.

I was kind of put out by this womans sign...I know I was the minority in their group but not once in my life have I ever pointed at someone or purposely offended someone...and if I have offended someone it is immediately appologized for. I have to say-I was offended.

Next semester...I'll write the paper. All I need is a passing grade...and to have that attitude bothers me b/c I really wanted to learn and become proficient in ASL.
Who knows..maybe I'll subject myself to the humiliation of being scared...but I really don't see the point.
Our instructor only teaches us signs...there is no conversation taught (maybe next semester-who knows) I really do want to learn this...but at the moment...I just need a passing grade

Thank you for listening to me vent-Talking Hands...I wish you lived close by...I'd ask for a tutoring session and some help...

Please no flames...I don't know if my self esteem could take that right now...

I just finished my summer sessions in ASL...and had a 4.0 for both sessions :cool1:
We had to do a 2nd deaf event for the 2nd session. This time our instructor when with us. I was thankful for this b/c as you can see-the first semester didn't go so well. So, needless to say, I had to opportunity to meet and chat with some people and learned that I know more than I thought :woohoo:
The following class my instructor said that he was bothered by the fact that deaf people just turned their backs to us and did not sign with us. Even though they said that they welcome ASL students. I felt much better knowing that it wasn't just me the first time.
He has arranged a meeting time for next semester that he will put together people that want to talk to students. Even though I am not in class in the fall I will definately try to make time to do this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter