OT-- Special Olympics

WendyisDarling

DIS Veteran
Has anyone or their child participated? Esp. curious to know from parents of children with autism.
DS can't play any structured sport activities. He can't pay attention, can't communicate properly, follow all the directions, etc. I have been thinking of signing him up for Special Olympics.
I seriously started thinking about it a couple days ago when he told me about a character on a TV show getting trophy. Then he added someday I (but used his name in third person) will get a trophy. It broke my heart. My 12 year old has a shelf full that he started getting at 6, most are participation, but he still likes them.
Ppl forget that our kids do notice what is going on around them and often want to do the same things as other kids.
School field day is coming up. Veering even farther OT but I HATE that day. All the parents come and watch. DS needs his aide to help him run the relays, etc. He is a great runner, but gets distracted or can't understand what he is supposed to do. The kids are OK about it but the parents are done right nasty. I hear them talking behind my back about him. Every year I have to fight off tears and am not always successful.
I would love to see him do something that makes him proud of himself and not judged as being inferior. But, what about the "invisible disability" do many autistic kids participate?
TIA to anyone who replies.

That stinks about field day. Those stupid parents need to be smacked in the head! I don't know what is wrong with people. MY DD has disabilities which if you met her you wouldn't know it. But she cannot keep up with the other kids in competitive activities and cannot always remember the directions. I have found TOPS soccer league is for children with a wide range of disabilities. They have coaches and buddies and the kids have a great time. Each child receives a trophy and they have a ceremony and party at the end of the Fall and Spring season. They provides the uniform, balls and socks and knee guards. It is fantastic! We also participate in a league for disabled children in bowling and softball. Each child gets a uniform and trophy as well. All of these activities are at no cost to the families. Where do you live? Have you checked out what activities are available in your community or in your surrounding communities? I was surprised about what was out there. I wish you well and hope things go fine with field day - I've been there.:grouphug:

DS has participated for years, and other DS has been a SO Track Coach for 6 years. Many of the kids on their Track team are autistic. They have a great time together at practice and when they go to the State games. I would check into what is available, go and watch a practice. There is bound to be a sport/team that he would enjoy being with. Agree you should also look into TOPS soccer.

My daughter loved TOPS Soccer. She didn't get a tropy but she did get a uniform. She still wears her shirt years later.

She also loved Halo Hoops. I don't know how far they reach but there were children with all levels of abilities there. They gave trophies, t-shirts and basketballs at the end.

As a Girl Scout SUM I have learned that many times if you want something for your kids, you usually need to start it for yourself. There are many sports out there that you can set up to fit your needs. Bowling, track, basketball and my fav, Disc Golf, are great sports that you could start up for kids with needs. They aren't too expensive, you can set the seasons time to fit your schedule and everyone can get a participation trophy and maybe a uniform.

No matter where you live I'm sure it would be very easy to find families willing to participate.

I checked and we have a LOCAL TOP Soccer :thumbsup2 But, the season started April 22 :(, so I am too late this year. I am going to contact them anyway and see if I can get on a mailing list for next year (maybe they'll do it in the fall, too -- fingers crossed).

There is bowling, but I think he has to be 12. I need to check to be sure.

Can I vent a bit? -- DS takes Tae Kwon Do lessons. He has been in the program for 2 1/2 years and I cannot wait for our contract to be over in August. Their initial evaluation was that he could do it, but it would take longer (of course). Their motto is "everything is possible with focus", well he can't focus, which enjoys the Master. They are nice to him though. They moved him to the slower paced preschool program after almost a year with no progress. They have white belts and they get a colored stripe in the middle for progression. After their black stripe they go to regular yellow belt. It takes most preschoolers a year to go through the program. DS is 9 years and 6 months. He is so much bigger than the 4 year olds. He doesn't want to go to their class anymore. Luckily their is a family class for all levels and DH and DS12 who also take TKD take him then. They are nice to him, but even though he doesn't communicate, he understands he is in the "little kid" group and can't keep up with their progress. He has watched cycles of his classmates move on. After he finishes this belt (red stripe) he will FINALLY get the black stripe. Their are four levels for each belt, so after that he may get a yellow belt. I think they are timing his progress to the contract. I hope he finishes by achieving yellow belt status. They probably don't want him in the regular yellow belt class. I understand, really. I am so tempted to them that it is my hope he eventually will get a yellow belt and that I will not renew the contract. It takes most kids, who aren't in preschool, a month to go from white to yellow. It will take him 3 years, if I'm able to convince them. It is really hard. I want him to be involved with something that makes him feel good.

Anyway, thanks for your help. :goodvibes

I checked and we have a LOCAL TOP Soccer :thumbsup2 But, the season started April 22 :(, so I am too late this year. I am going to contact them anyway and see if I can get on a mailing list for next year (maybe they'll do it in the fall, too -- fingers crossed).

Call Tops. You still might get in.

My girls hated Karate also.

School field day is coming up. Veering even farther OT but I HATE that day. All the parents come and watch. DS needs his aide to help him run the relays, etc. He is a great runner, but gets distracted or can't understand what he is supposed to do. The kids are OK about it but the parents are done right nasty. I hear them talking behind my back about him. Every year I have to fight off tears and am not always successful.
Can you talk to the school counselor or principal about this and see if they are willing to help? They could send a letter home reminding parents to be good sports or make an announcement at the beginning? Something about how children differ in their abilities but all children should be respected for their effort. In our elementary school, they announce at the beginning of competitions that, no matter who wins, all the kids are winners for putting forth the effort.
It takes far more courage for our children to participate than those it comes easy to!

Can you talk to the school counselor or principal about this and see if they are willing to help? They could send a letter home reminding parents to be good sports or make an announcement at the beginning? Something about how children differ in their abilities but all children should be respected for their effort. In our elementary school, they announce at the beginning of competitions that, no matter who wins, all the kids are winners for putting forth the effort.
It takes far more courage for our children to participate than those it comes easy to!

I may do that.
Some parents just amaze me though. Not amaze in a good way. They actually don't call it field day anymore. It is called "Celebration of Learning" :rotfl: It is supposed to take the competitive edge off of it. However, I have heard parents say that it is ridiculous to not let it be a competition that competition is part of life...I don't get it. The kids are running around with an egg on a spoon and tossing water balloons. :lmao:
It is so weird that most of the kids are really accepting and try to help him. They cheer for him. But, it is that handful of parents that think he is causing the class to lose :( Sometimes parents need to learn from their children. I'm going to try to be strong this year and maybe have some sort of retort or at least a nasty glare ;)

One of the teacher aides when I was in high school, had a son in Special Olympics, and when she told my mom about it, my mom was kind of hesitant to join me. With my syndrome, I can't play any high-impact sports, as it'll make my bones wear down a lot quicker, causing more medical issues than I already need. I do the motorized wheelchair track, and wheelchair bowling events, and they are a lot of fun! I started out with doing track in my manual wheelchair, but my mom saw how much I struggled with it, especially since I didn't have very good upper body strength to propel myself.

I absolutely love Special Olympics. It has made me feel so "accepted" in participating in a team sport. I was on the regular high school swim team during my four years of high school, and even though I wasn't the fastest swimmer, the whole place started getting louder whenever I came in for the final lap, last. My wheelchair track coach is so funny to my best friend (who also uses a motorized wheelchair) and me, by teasing us every chance he gets. Next year though, I'm going to try the assisted walk races with my reverse walker, because it'll challenge me to push myself, especially since doing the motorized wheelchair races, are too easy for me.

Samantha

My DS (5y 8m) has Down synsdrome. I want him to learn to swim for safety, fitness and social reasons. His older sister has been swimming since she was 7. I am still working on a good place for the lessons, but he does do SO swimming - well not officially since you have to be 8. But our local coaches allow younger kids to come to learn and he loves it. Another place to check is a Challenger Little League, we have one here but I don't know if it is in other places. Best wishes to you and your son.

My DD9 has hearing loss,and isn't into sports...but...for many, many years I coached special olympics. With 4 kids, I haven't for a few years, but now that youngest is 9 I have started to volunteer again. Introduced my DD15 as my helper.....and she is hooked. She met kids from her high school who were on the team- she had seen them in the hall, but never gave them a second thought (teenagers!). Now they are her friends and table mates at lunch!

I have coached soccer, basketball, swimming, softball, bowling- heck, even track. I have NEVER had more fun (well, okay, maybe WDW) in my life. The spirit of cooperation and fun is contagious, the people are wonderful (coaches and athletes alike). I wish ALL children would abide by the special olympics motto: "Let me win, but, if I cannot win, let me be brave, in the attempt." ----doesn't that just about sum up the best approach to life?

Call and pester the local team....often they can let kids join late. And enjoy the tournaments and matches! You will have as much fun as the kids, I promise!!!!

I have participated in something similar to the Special Olympics held in my homestate since age 5; I'm now almost 13. I don't have autism, but I do have CP and use a walker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter