Other Options...

I love Tauck's "gift of time" free pre night. It is such a huge difference from ABD where you will end up paying more than rack rate for a pre night, just to get their airport pick up.

It's one of the things I really like with Tauck. Others: small groups, solo discounts, and doesn't appear to have dynamic pricing. DH and I were torn between Tauck and ABD for Scotland next year (I've been several times but DH hasn't) and the Adults Only jumped right before he was ready to commit to ABD. So Tauck it is in 2018; we don't miss the extra guide especially with small groups. The "free gift of time" usually saves $300-$500 and is a very nice "thank you" to prior customers.

Last edited:
Our "Gift of Time" is saving us over $1000 at the Conrad Dublin for our Ireland trip next year! It is such a nice touch. I'd much prefer that to the slimmed down ABD boxes they're sending out these days.

I love Tauck's "gift of time" free pre night. It is such a huge difference from ABD where you will end up paying more than rack rate for a pre night, just to get their airport pick up.
ABD did that last year for Insiders for the Danube River cruises (free pre- or post-night in Budapest). It was SO NICE! I don't know why they don't do it more.

Sayhello

Yes there were vegetarian options, even at the small local restaurants. A lot of the meals I ate were vegetarian by choice.

Reactions: Ava

Question for those who traveled with Nat Geographic. We are considering them for a family trip to China next summer. They do not offer a family option for their China itineraries. I was wondering if one of their regular small group trips would be work with our girls ages which would be 22, 17 and 15 or should we just consider doing one of their private tours with just our family? We are also considering using Alexander + Roberts for their small group or private tours. I like that they offer an add on for Hong Kong which Nat. Geo does not. I would love to do ABD (especially after reading @CaliforniaGirl09's trip report) or Tauck but my husband feels their group sizes are too big. He would like to go with something private or with small group size of under 20.

Interested in your thoughts. Feel free to suggest any other tour operators who may fit the bill. Thanks.

Question for those who traveled with Nat Geographic. We are considering them for a family trip to China next summer. They do not offer a family option for their China itineraries. I was wondering if one of their regular small group trips would be work with our girls ages which would be 22, 17 and 15 or should we just consider doing one of their private tours with just our family? We are also considering using Alexander + Roberts for their small group or private tours. I like that they offer an add on for Hong Kong which Nat. Geo does not. I would love to do ABD (especially after reading @CaliforniaGirl09's trip report) or Tauck but my husband feels their group sizes are too big. He would like to go with something private or with small group size of under 20.

Interested in your thoughts. Feel free to suggest any other tour operators who may fit the bill. Thanks.

Have you looked at Thomson Family Adventures? We did China with them in 2016, and it was a fantastic experience and trip. Their itinerary is very similar to ABD (minus the parks of course, although we added on two days in Shanghai at the end of our trip to do Shanghai Disneyland). It does not go to Hong Kong but the overall trip is 2 days longer than ABD's, so there is more time spent on mainland China. For example, Thomson's trip spends the night in Xi'an instead of flying in and out the same day, and their trip spends three nights in Yangshuo, which was my favorite area we visited. Thomson's group sizes max out at around 20, and our trip had 10 people total. They also guarantee their trips to go once they have one family booked. This could be a great option for you guys for China if you are looking for a small-group experience, which is also our priority.

I have also done two NatGeo trips, but those were Adventures hiking trips. There were no kids/teens on those trips, but that could have been because both were in Sept. when kids are back in school or because of the hiking orientation. If your 15 and 17 year olds are well-traveled and on the mature side, then I think you might be ok to take a chance with NatGeo. Their trips have been fantastic as well. I am doing my third hiking trip with them this Nov. (Patagonia), and we have our first family trip booked with them for June/July 2018 (Peru).

@Calfan thank you so much for your response. I will definitely look at Thomson. My girls are well traveled and on the mature side so Nat Geo may be a good fit. But I also realize they truly enjoyed meeting and hanging with other teens on our Tauck Bridges trips.

@Calfan thank you so much for your response. I will definitely look at Thomson. My girls are well traveled and on the mature side so Nat Geo may be a good fit. But I also realize they truly enjoyed meeting and hanging with other teens on our Tauck Bridges trips.

I can't comment of the likelihood of children being on the small group tours, but on the NatGeo Galapagos trip (just over 100 guests on the ship), we had a lot of kids. It was a regular departure - not a family trip - during spring break time frame. No little kids, but a lot in the 11 to 14 age range, plus some older teens. It was the best group tour we have taken.

Last edited:

The only issue you might run into with The Nat Geo group trip is the age of your children. I believe regular Nat Geo trips the age is 18 and over. Size wise, the expeditions are about 25 people max and the adventures are 16 max. The advantage to doing the private trip is that it will be just your family and the guides and the ages of your kids won't matter. Plus, if you really want to add Hong Kong on, Nat Geo can do that with a private. They can customize a private trip to meet your touring needs. We are doing a private trip to Zambia with Nat Geo and our trip ends at Victoria Falls. What happened to us was that a different tour company bought out the entire hotel we were booked to stay at on the Zambia side of the falls for the 2 nights we were there. Nat Geo didn't even blink, they just rearranged things and worked it out so that we are now staying at an equivalent level hotel on the Zimbabwe side of the falls. Also, we are going in a day early so our trip manager has arranged a trip to a local cultural village in Lusaka. Another nice advantage to the private trips with Nat Geo is you are not tied to pre-set trip dates. They go when you want to go so if there is a time of year you want to go or is more convenient the. You can choose the dates that work for you.

My family is doing the Tauck Bridges Ireland trip next month. So if you have any questions about the tour, let me know and I'll be happy to help when we get back.

Hey there- how did you like the Ireland trip?

Does anyone here have experience with Intrepid Travel? They're an Australian company & offer a lot of interesting-sounding tours at a budget price point. They offer three levels of tours - "Basix," "Original," and "Comfort." The Basix ones are very budget, with some camping and/or hostel accommodations, but the Original and Comfort ones sound on par with a GAdventures or Rick Steves tour (respectively) as far as the type of accommodation & number of included meals/activities. They also have Family tours, some to different locations than you often see - Mexico, Morocco, India. (And a Japan family tour, which I know is on a lot of people here's "bucket list.")

Micato has a stellar reputation. However I would caution you to fully research their itineraries. Some stay at middle-of-the road accommodations and you are paying top dollar.

I looked at them in detail and while I would still consider them, I preferred the Singita lodges we stayed at (Sweni and Ebony). They were small, very luxurious and the staff was amazing. The price was comparable to Micato but our experience was very personalized.

I highly recommend looking at where you want to go in South Africa (or East Africa) and look at doing it privately. We did that last summer and are doing it again this summer. There is something magical about a sun downer in the bush with your private vehicle, driver and guide, watching the sun set over the horizon. Or a private "bush breakfast". Or dinner on the private landing strip of the lodge you are staying at surrounded by softly burning tiki torches. There are no adequate words to describe the experience.

Micato has a stellar reputation. However I would caution you to fully research their itineraries. Some stay at middle-of-the road accommodations and you are paying top dollar.

I looked at them in detail and while I would still consider them, I preferred the Singita lodges we stayed at (Sweni and Ebony). They were small, very luxurious and the staff was amazing. The price was comparable to Micato but our experience was very personalized.

I highly recommend looking at where you want to go in South Africa (or East Africa) and look at doing it privately. We did that last summer and are doing it again this summer. There is something magical about a sun downer in the bush with your private vehicle, driver and guide, watching the sun set over the horizon. Or a private "bush breakfast". Or dinner on the private landing strip of the lodge you are staying at surrounded by softly burning tiki torches. There are no adequate words to describe the experience.

I would love to know how to do this trip privately. Any and all hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have travelled extensively however South Africa and safaris are on our to do list for next year and I'm feeling a bit intimidated. Feel free to private message me or help me out from this thread. Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much for the head's up on this. I definitely want all 5 star places at prices like that!

I would love to know how to do this trip privately. Any and all hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have travelled extensively however South Africa and safaris are on our to do list for next year and I'm feeling a bit intimidated. Feel free to private message me or help me out from this thread. Thanks in advance!

I'm doing a private expedition with National Geographic to Zambia (which now includes a few nights in Zimbabwe on their side of Victoria Falls). Zambia is home of the walking safari. It will just be me and my mom on the trip when we go in May 2018. I'll be posting a trip blog about it, just like I did for my South East Asia trip.

Calfan and I just got back from our Nat Geo Hiking trip to Patagonia. It was my second experience with Nat Geo (the first was the Coast to Coast) and Calfan's third (she also went on a hiking trip to Ireland with her husband last year). Once again we had a fabulous experience. Nat Geo really does a great job. We stayed in the nicest places available, *all* meals were included, we had a nice small bus for transportation with plenty of room to spread out, and the group was 15 with two guides and a driver who also served as additional logistics help--so basically 3 to 15. We put our bags out in the morning, they were instantly taken, and literally a few minutes after we arrived they'd be knocking on our door to put them in our room. The quality of the guides was exceptional, and I'd put them right up there with any guide we've ever had on ABD. We also had plenty of extra "surprises," although Nat Geo doesn't make a big deal out of them. Alcohol is technically not included on the trip, but almost every night we had toasting drinks and/or wine. As we were celebrating our 50th birthdays, they had a beautiful cake for us the last night. We also had a stop or two where they picked up treats for us on the road, and we even had our transfer between the two airports after our trip was over unexpectedly arranged and paid for. If you are considering one of Nat Geo's Adventures (active trips), I wouldn't hesitate. I'm sure Calfan will have more to add and things I've forgotten.

Calfan and I just got back from our Nat Geo Hiking trip to Patagonia. It was my second experience with Nat Geo (the first was the Coast to Coast) and Calfan's third (she also went on a hiking trip to Ireland with her husband last year). Once again we had a fabulous experience. Nat Geo really does a great job. We stayed in the nicest places available, *all* meals were included, we had a nice small bus for transportation with plenty of room to spread out, and the group was 15 with two guides and a driver who also served as additional logistics help--so basically 3 to 15. We put our bags out in the morning, they were instantly taken, and literally a few minutes after we arrived they'd be knocking on our door to put them in our room. The quality of the guides was exceptional, and I'd put them right up there with any guide we've ever had on ABD. We also had plenty of extra "surprises," although Nat Geo doesn't make a big deal out of them. Alcohol is technically not included on the trip, but almost every night we had toasting drinks and/or wine. As we were celebrating our 50th birthdays, they had a beautiful cake for us the last night. We also had a stop or two where they picked up treats for us on the road, and we even had our transfer between the two airports after our trip was over unexpectedly arranged and paid for. If you are considering one of Nat Geo's Adventures (active trips), I wouldn't hesitate. I'm sure Calfan will have more to add and things I've forgotten.

I second everything CaliforniaGirl said about our Nat Geo experience in Patagonia (and on previous trips). I really can't recommend Nat Geo enough (at least for the active trips; my family is taking its first Nat Geo family trip next June/July to Peru, so I can give more input on that arm of Nat Geo once we get back). As CaliforniaGirl noted, the guide ratio and small group experience are exceptional, as is the low-key way Nat Geo adds extras and surprises to the experience. One "extra" that CaliforniaGirl didn't mention is that we were given detailed maps of the Patagonia region and of the two national parks in which we hiked, and our head guide took the time to note on each map each hike we did, the date, etc. so we would have an exact record of the routes we hiked. Such a nice touch and a lot of extra time on the guide's part to do this.

I second everything CaliforniaGirl said about our Nat Geo experience in Patagonia (and on previous trips). I really can't recommend Nat Geo enough (at least for the active trips; my family is taking its first Nat Geo family trip next June/July to Peru, so I can give more input on that arm of Nat Geo once we get back). As CaliforniaGirl noted, the guide ratio and small group experience are exceptional, as is the low-key way Nat Geo adds extras and surprises to the experience. One "extra" that CaliforniaGirl didn't mention is that we were given detailed maps of the Patagonia region and of the two national parks in which we hiked, and our head guide took the time to note on each map each hike we did, the date, etc. so we would have an exact record of the routes we hiked. Such a nice touch and a lot of extra time on the guide's part to do this.
How could I forget that? I just told my husband that those maps were the best trip gift I'd ever received. I even took them in my carryons to not risk losing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter