Other Options...

Iceland is currently covid testing all arrivals at the airport and you are notified within 12 hours of your status. If you are positive, you go to a testing center and they test you for antibodies. If those are present, they assume you are not contagious and you carry on with your vacation. If no antibodies, you quarantine until you are no longer contagious and can fly home. It is a gamble, but one I was willing to take.

I confirmed I can transfer the funds to any other trip I want without penalty. I still can't get them to say what the drop dead date is for when they would cancel the trip.

I just got a survey from Tauck (we rolled the money from our cancelled June trip to a trip next summer). It was maybe 4 questions, but it asked about things like: are you willing to travel without a vaccine, when do you think you will travel, how far out do you think you would make the decision, etc. They said this information would help them plan for the future, and I appreciate that they are being proactive and not just making people PIF and then wait to see if it'll be cancelled.

I just got a survey from Tauck (we rolled the money from our cancelled June trip to a trip next summer). It was maybe 4 questions, but it asked about things like: are you willing to travel without a vaccine, when do you think you will travel, how far out do you think you would make the decision, etc. They said this information would help them plan for the future, and I appreciate that they are being proactive and not just making people PIF and then wait to see if it'll be cancelled.
I received the survey, too. I agree that it’s nice to see them taking a proactive approach.

Iceland is currently covid testing all arrivals at the airport and you are notified within 12 hours of your status. If you are positive, you go to a testing center and they test you for antibodies. If those are present, they assume you are not contagious and you carry on with your vacation. If no antibodies, you quarantine until you are no longer contagious and can fly home. It is a gamble, but one I was willing to take.
From what I read, after an initial 2 week period (which ended July 1st) *you* have to pay for the COVID-19 test at the airport. It was originally going to be 15,000 ISK ($107 USD). But now they've reduced it to 11,000 ISK ($77) if paid on site or 9000 ISK ($64) if paid in advance.

There's a lot of info here:

https://www.landlaeknir.is/servlet/file/store93/item41745/GA Passengerinfo updated 14062020.pdf

Sayhello

For sure you have to pay. It was free in the first week or two when they were testing the system then a set price for all travelers, though the price has dropped since. They just announced today that people, of any nationality, who have spent at least the previous 2 weeks in Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Finland will not be tested starting July 16.

Classic Journeys is trying to find out from the Iceland vendors when the latest cancelation date can be, though looking at the US numbers, I really just need to go ahead and cancel. I knew they would continue to get worse, but actually seeing it brings it home.

The rep mentioned trying to just get me a full refund. Not sure if that is lip service or good customer service. That would be best, since I'd rather not have that much money tied up in a credit somewhere.

We decided on Tuscany/Umbria on our next trip. I'm thinking 2022 though rather than 2021 as I think so many of the 2020 people will make 2021 busier.

We love Tauck - have done two Small Group Tours with them now (13 night -Normandy, Loire Valley, Paris and Brittany & A Week In...Amalfi Coast, Capri and Rome)

Heard back from Classic Journeys. They are willing to let me wait as long as I want before canceling (trip is scheduled to go August 9), though can't guarantee they'll be able to refund me based on what the providers in Iceland decide at the very last minute, I can switch the entire trip cost to another trip, or they will transfer just the deposit to another trip and refund me the balance. This last bit was not part of their standard procedure I think but much appreciated. I have enough money tied up in credits at other companies or airlines, and will most likely choose this last option.

I decided to cancel my Iceland trip. They have not called it yet, but there's no way Americans will be welcome in Europe in 3 weeks. I had a full refund on my credit card within 2 days, minus the $300 deposit, which can be parked indefinitely. I'm very happy with the way things were handled.

I'm considering moving the deposit to a Morocco trip next March. Still playing the odds a bit but it can't hurt to have something to look forward to.

I decided to cancel my Iceland trip. They have not called it yet, but there's no way Americans will be welcome in Europe in 3 weeks. I had a full refund on my credit card within 2 days, minus the $300 deposit, which can be parked indefinitely. I'm very happy with the way things were handled.

I'm considering moving the deposit to a Morocco trip next March. Still playing the odds a bit but it can't hurt to have something to look forward to.
I am glad to hear this. Classic Journeys has several trips that look interesting; with their low single supplement I am pretty sure I will travel with them at some point in the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Antarctica? It's a bucket list trip for us in the future but since we are all stuck at home this year I am keen to look into it.

National Geographic / Linblad. We went with A&K (family) and while it was okay, our next trip to Antarctica will be with Nat Geo. I understand they are the best to travel with to the region. Tagging @calypso726 as she went with Nat Geo. I also appreciate the way they have handled their cancelled cruises during the pandemic.

I do not, repeat do not, under any circumstances, recommend Quark. Avoid them at all costs (see my comments on Quark, look them up on BBB and visit their FB page for corroboration -- they are a terrible company to deal with -- very unethical and dishonest).

If you are considering A&K, let me know if you have any questions. But if you are able I'd definitely try to book with Nat Geo.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Antarctica? It's a bucket list trip for us in the future but since we are all stuck at home this year I am keen to look into it.

I would have totally done it with ABD if it were an option. However, it wasn’t. I did a lot of research on Antarctica since it was for my 50th and figured it would be a once in a lifetime trip. We went with NatGeo/Linblad and have no regrets. We chose the smaller of the two expedition ships in order to be able to make more landings and not have to minimize our time at each landing. The experience was the most amazing experience ever! If time and cost were not a factor I’d do it again in a heartbeat and choose NatGeo/Linblad once again.

I would have totally done it with ABD if it were an option. However, it wasn’t. I did a lot of research on Antarctica since it was for my 50th and figured it would be a once in a lifetime trip. We went with NatGeo/Linblad and have no regrets. We chose the smaller of the two expedition ships in order to be able to make more landings and not have to minimize our time at each landing. The experience was the most amazing experience ever! If time and cost were not a factor I’d do it again in a heartbeat and choose NatGeo/Linblad once again.

Which of the Antarctica itineraries did you choose?

Do you recall what month you traveled?

Which trip did you take? I was looking for one that goes into the Antarctic circle but only the $60,000 trip seems to. They do look great, problem is I can't decide which areas are best to see as the itineraries are vastly different.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I noticed the additional Tauck updates last week continue to be impressed. The best part is that none of the penalties or deposits seem to be forfeited, but that the worst case scenario in any circumstance is that the money goes to a credit to be used by the end of next year, for any travel this calendar year.

It also seems like they have put a lot of effort into working with their hotels and other providers and that they are limiting the number of people on trips, and that yes, you might have to wear a mask. I know that much remains up in the air, but it is nice to see concrete things they are doing to plan for the future.

Which trip did you take? I was looking for one that goes into the Antarctic circle but only the $60,000 trip seems to. They do look great, problem is I can't decide which areas are best to see as the itineraries are vastly different.
Very few of the Antarctica cruises go the South Pole and none are guaranteed to due to ice (this applies to all Antarctic landings, but especially the South Pole). Ours went to the Falkland Islands, S. Georgia (which I highly recommend as the penguins and fur seals are amazing) and the Antarctic Peninsula (21 days on the ship). It was a lot of fun and I'm glad that we got to visit the Falkland Islands (on Christmas day - which was kind of nice as the shops / restaurants opened for us and one other ship). The ship was lovely (brand new), but we had 190 passengers, so had to visit the islands in 2 groups -- not a huge deal as we didn't feel that this had a negative impact on our experience, but something to consider.

I'd recommend avoiding the cruises that have you fly to the Antarctic as they planes are affected by the weather and you may be delayed by a day or two (meaning your cruise is shortened accordingly).

If you ever see pictures of ships docked in ice and people walking out from the ship stairs to ice, those are the ones that go to the South Pole. The cruises that go to the Antarctic peninsula (but not the South Pole) use Zodiaks to reach land.

There are so many itineraries, look at the different ones and choose the one that best suits your plans and budget. I personally would avoid the ships that have over 200 passengers as they are not able to land at many sites. As I said previously, I would go with Nat Geo if we were to visit again (and I would definitely like to).

Which of the Antarctica itineraries did you choose?

Do you recall what month you traveled?

I did the 14 day Journey to Antarctica on the Orion. If time were not a factor I would have preferred the 24 day Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands.

Yes, we departed December 25 from Miami. The timing was prefect as we got to see many of the fuzzy penguin chicks

Because of the limited time I had, I chose journey to Antarctica. If possible, I would have spent more time in Antarctica and visited South Georgia.

I've never been--it's definitely on my list but probably 5-10 years when I stop the hiking trips. I did a cruise through my university in May 2019 of the British Isles that was incredible. It was done through Zegrahm. I'd never heard of them before, but they were wonderful. I'd read the COVID info though. It looks like they didn't give refunds so something to keep in mind. But their Antarctica trip that is timed to the eclipse in 2021 would be very cool: https://www.zegrahm.com/expedition/...arctica-south-georgia-november-2021/itinerary

I've never been--it's definitely on my list but probably 5-10 years when I stop the hiking trips. I did a cruise through my university in May 2019 of the British Isles that was incredible. It was done through Zegrahm. I'd never heard of them before, but they were wonderful. I'd read the COVID info though. It looks like they didn't give refunds so something to keep in mind. But their Antarctica trip that is timed to the eclipse in 2021 would be very cool: https://www.zegrahm.com/expedition/...arctica-south-georgia-november-2021/itinerary

Count me in for Antarctica in 5 to 10!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!