OTU points for multiple contract owners

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Someone here told me that I will have the option for 2 sets of OTU points as long as I have 2 different contracts with different UY's. Again, this is what someone on this wonderful site said, and it made sense to me. My question therefore is then what if the same party has 3? or 4? or more? Will you simply get more sets of OTU points for each contract? If so, that could add significantly to an owner in this position no?

I also was unclear if the new set of OTU points applied to those with different UY only, or different resorts only, or different UY AND resorts only. Anyone know?

The option is for different Memberships. For most that is because of different UY's although there are a few that actually have 2 separate memberships but the same UY. Either didn't get a resale titled the same or some such reason.

It's not per contract because you can have multiple contracts under the same membership (UY). And it's not different resorts because you can have different resorts under the same membership (UY).

I think that each UY is a separate membership, and each membership could potentially purchase up to 24 OTU points to be applied to reservations made by that membership during each UY.

But since those points cost $17 each (currently) and can be
purchased only at or within the 7-month window, I don’t see it as a huge advantage.

And you cannot combine the 24 points from one membership with 24 from another membership. Other than book nights with the first set and book nights with the second set at the same resort, same size/type unit and link the two reservations.

And you cannot combine the 24 points from one membership with 24 from another membership. Other than book nights with the first set and book nights with the second set at the same resort, same size/type unit and link the two reservations.
Are you certain? In any event, the effect would be the same, correct?

The option is for different Memberships. For most that is because of different UY's although there are a few that actually have 2 separate memberships but the same UY. Either didn't get a resale titled the same or some such reason.

It's not per contract because you can have multiple contracts under the same membership (UY). And it's not different resorts because you can have different resorts under the same membership (UY).
Sorry for the dumb question, but I understand what a UY is, but can you explain what you mean by 'Membership'?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I understand what a UY is, but can you explain what you mean by 'Membership'?
Membership is by your member number. So if you have seven contracts, all deeded the same and same UY, they would be under one membership. If you have seven contracts, deeded differently or different UY, they would be seven memberships. You can't combine points from two memberships without using a transfer from one membership to another. For example, I have two memberships. One is Sept UY with two contacts (two different resorts, same UY) and the other is Dec with a single contract but the same as one of the other contracts in the Sept UY. If I want to combine the points from the Dec contract with the Sept contract at eleven months out, I have to transfer the points from one to the other (so transfer into one membership, transfer out of the other). Since OTU points do not have a resort, you cannot transfer them. You could only combine them with the points in each membership that you bought them under. And you pay $17 for every OTU points you purchase.
Are you certain? In any event, the effect would be the same, correct?
No, not really. You wouldn't have 48 points with two memberships. You'd have 24 in one, 24 in the other. You wouldn't be able to transfer them since they have no resort or UY. You could use 24 points to make one reservation and 24 to make another reservation. You'd have to ask them to link the two.

Membership is by your member number. So if you have seven contracts, all deeded the same and same UY, they would be under one membership. If you have seven contracts, deeded differently or different UY, they would be seven memberships. You can't combine points from two memberships without using a transfer from one membership to another. For example, I have two memberships. One is Sept UY with two contacts (two different resorts, same UY) and the other is Dec with a single contract but the same as one of the other contracts in the Sept UY. If I want to combine the points from the Dec contract with the Sept contract at eleven months out, I have to transfer the points from one to the other (so transfer into one membership, transfer out of the other). Since OTU points do not have a resort, you cannot transfer them. You could only combine them with the points in each membership that you bought them under. And you pay $17 for every OTU points you purchase.
No, not really. You wouldn't have 48 points with two memberships. You'd have 24 in one, 24 in the other. You wouldn't be able to transfer them since they have no resort or UY. You could use 24 points to make one reservation and 24 to make another reservation. You'd have to ask them to link the two.
Thank you so much, great explanation. 24 + 24 still equals 48 though, so at the end of the day if you used 20 from one, 23 from the other and got 2 nights, you'd still get the extra 2 nights... as far as linking them, I have never done it, but I assume its not that complicated.

I see a potential snag here in the OTU with different memberships; If you wanted to use OTU with different UY, wouldn't that ALSO mean that the 7 month window would be different?

Thank you so much, great explanation. 24 + 24 still equals 48 though, so at the end of the day if you used 20 from one, 23 from the other and got 2 nights, you'd still get the extra 2 nights... as far as linking them, I have never done it, but I assume its not that complicated.
The key is to understand that you can't combine OTU points from different memberships to pay for the same night. So in the example if a night costs 13 points, you could only book a total of two extra nights, one from each membership. (If you could combine them, you could have booked a total of 3 between them).

ME can't link nights from different memberships. They can only add notes saying the reservations are a continuing stay. You may have to check out and back in again between the reservations even though you get to remain in the same room.

The key is to understand that you can't combine OTU points from different memberships to pay for the same night. So in the example if a night costs 13 points, you could only book a total of two extra nights, one from each membership. (If you could combine them, you could have booked a total of 3 between them).

ME can't link nights from different memberships. They can only add notes saying the reservations are a continuing stay. You may have to check out and back in again between the reservations even though you get to remain in the same room.
thanks for that info!

I would think if you need more than 24 OTU points, it would be less expensive to just rent from another member or a broker like David's, and you wouldn't have multiple reservations to link.

I would think if you need more than 24 OTU points, it would be less expensive to just rent from another member or a broker like David's, and you wouldn't have multiple reservations to link.
Perhaps, but I just like the idea of being able to "control" my own reservation. I wish Disney would lower the cost of OTU points for members

I wouldn't think Disney will lower the rates, they just raised them from $15 to $17 and I expect them go up again.

Perhaps, but I just like the idea of being able to "control" my own reservation. I wish Disney would lower the cost of OTU points for members

The purpose of OTU points is to help a member complete a reservation / not leave orphaned points. It is limited to 24 because if you need 25 they are going to suggest you just add-on and avoid the problem from re-occurring. ;)

I'm pretty sure that everyone buying oodles of OTU points every year would create availability issues. Those OTU points have to come from somewhere (points they are holding / unsold?). So, they are not going to give large incentives to people to use them. And really, $17/pt isn't too much higher than rental and since you ARE limited to only 24, the premium is pocket change in the world of Disney.

They also give a discount to members to rent rooms for cash and that's only limited to room availability. I'm not sure of the cancellation policy.

I see a potential snag here in the OTU with different memberships; If you wanted to use OTU with different UY, wouldn't that ALSO mean that the 7 month window would be different?

No, the 11 & 7 month windows have nothing to do with UY. You can always book your home at 11 months and other DVC resorts at 7 months no matter where you are in your UY. UY only determines which points can be used for that reservation.

The purpose of OTU points is to help a member complete a reservation / not leave orphaned points. It is limited to 24 because if you need 25 they are going to suggest you just add-on and avoid the problem from re-occurring. ;)

I'm pretty sure that everyone buying oodles of OTU points every year would create availability issues. Those OTU points have to come from somewhere (points they are holding / unsold?). So, they are not going to give large incentives to people to use them. And really, $17/pt isn't too much higher than rental and since you ARE limited to only 24, the premium is pocket change in the world of Disney.

They also give a discount to members to rent rooms for cash and that's only limited to room availability. I'm not sure of the cancellation policy.
Great response, thanks. I think that wraps it up for me..

I have two memberships and normally buy 48 points or close each year.

It’s the 7 month window so while it is 24 + 24, the home resort of each membership is moot. You can easily book across both reservations.

Example. I want a 5 night reservation that cost 20/night. So I need 100 points. I have 45 points avail in one account and 18 in the other. I buy 22 points and book 2 nights in one account and then buy 15 points in the other account and book 3 nights. 5 nights booked, 37 OTU points used.

Now. On top of that, I’m going to book the 2 nights first and then the 3 nights later. Why? Because I’ll buy the deluxe dining plan in the first two nights and since it’s good until midnight on checkout day, I’ll get 3 nights out of it. Book all TSs in first 3 days of trip.

You can’t link reservations (so that you don’t have to change rooms) when one has a dining plan on one but not the other, but so far it hasn’t been a problem.

My experience has been that when I point out that I have a following reservation at check in, they typically combine them on the spot. Saves housekeeping for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter