Our Aulani trip is scheduled for late March. How's everyone doing?

Starting Friday, no flights in or out of Kauai. I expect other islands to follow.
Yes, sounds like Kauai is closed to tourists - only “essential” flights.

The Mayor said: “Until further notice, visitors should not be traveling to our island for recreational purposes, Kauai is on vacation.” The key words are 'should not'. There is no ban. A quick check on flights shows plenty of availability to book.

That said, IMO, there should be some sort of domestic travel restrictions put in place on a federal level (not just to Hawaii).

Last edited:
Yes. We finally cancelled too. Even though my family intended to continue reasonable distancing measures, I cannot argue that tourism in general promotes unhealthy close quarters.

I fundamentally disagree with much of how this epidemic is being portrayed. Once we were into February we were way past stopping anything. The new strategy could only be behavioral to *slow* it and allow the system to not be overwhelmed.

Still, if this is what it takes for people to effectively social-distance then it will be good. We must continue to *slow* it.

I strongly believe that Hawaii already has widespread community spread, along with very much of the rest of the country. The South Korean statistics are the most valid with regard to the accuracy of morbidity, mortality, and widespread extrapolation.

All the cases we are learning about this week are from the last 2 weeks’ exposures. For every confirmed case (we know the very high bar that is required to get tested), there are an immense number of untested positives. Also the R0 (R-naught), the measure of transmissibility, is believed to be very high. Combined with a high low-symptom rate, that’s a bad recipe.

I think it was wrong to portray the notion that the first 2 cases were only recently brought back from the mainland. Those were the first two *confirmed* cases based on very hard to get testing when testing was finally available. The anti-tourist vitriol (eta: not on this site) makes me sad. But I think it also comes from fear understandably.

Last edited:
The Mayor said: “Until further notice, visitors should not be traveling to our island for recreational purposes, Kauai is on vacation.” The key words are 'should not'. There is no ban. A quick check on flights shows plenty of availability to book.

That said, IMO, there should be some sort of domestic travel restrictions put in place on a federal level (not just to Hawaii).

If you want to be exact, the mayor doesn't have the power to stop you from going to Kauai. That's the airlines and the FAA. And there are lots of seats because not even the locals are traveling now. We're listening to our local government. What a mayor can do is institute a mandatory curfew and that's what he's done. What will it take to get through to some people?

Oahu is closing its restaurants to all except take out starting Friday. That means Aulani too. That's an ORDER by Oahu's mayor.

Yes. We finally canceled too. Even though my family intended to continue reasonable distancing measures, I cannot argue that tourism in general promotes unhealthy close quarters.

I fundamentally disagree with much of how this epidemic is being portrayed. Once we were into February we were way past stopping anything. The new strategy could only be behavioral to *slow* it and allow the system to not be overwhelmed.

Still, if this is what it takes for people to effectively social-distance then it will be good. We must continue to *slow* it.

I strongly believe that Hawaii already has widespread community spread, along with very much of the rest of the country. The South Korean statistics are the most valid with regard to the accuracy of morbidity, mortality, and widespread extrapolation.

All the cases we are learning about this week are from the last 2 weeks’ exposures. For every confirmed case (we know the very high bar that is required to get tested), there are an immense number of untested positives. Also the R0 (R-naught), the measure of transmissibility, is believed to be very high. Combined with a high low-symptom rate, that’s a bad recipe.

I think it was wrong to portray the notion that the first 2 cases were only recently brought back from the mainland. Those were the first two *confirmed* cases based on very hard to get testing when testing was finally available. The anti-tourist vitriol makes me sad. But I think it also comes from fear understandably.

I'm totally not anti-tourist. Due to our lack of economic diversification, that's our state's bread and butter. I just think now is a time to take a short break. I have family members who will be on the front lines when this hits Hawaii hard and we all know that's coming. We're up to 16 cases and they're still trying to make it sound like they're all from travel/tourist contact. You are correct and there are probably many more with community transmission already.

I'm totally not anti-tourist. Due to our lack of economic diversification, that's our state's bread and butter. I just think now is a time to take a short break. I have family members who will be on the front lines when this hits Hawaii hard and we all know that's coming. We're up to 16 cases and they're still trying to make it sound like they're all from travel/tourist contact. You are correct and there are probably many more with community transmission already.
Oh yes I knew that. I meant on twitter and social media, where’d I’d been following the news there further. Not here at all. Sorry if that’s what I sounded like. I’ll edit.

this could be close to a worse case scenario for hawaii tourism...unless the governor steps up and actually does something soon...however it seems likely that just like every previous time...the governor of hawaii will play chicken with a potential disaster...he did it with a cat 5 hurricane...he's doing it again now...and when he finally acts it will be "out of an abundance of caution"...at the last possible second.

its one thing to have to turn away visitors/etc. because the local government issued some kind of lockdown (I think most people would be understanding of this) but for residents themselves to protest and ask people to leave, go back not come, or try to stop ships from at least doing a resupply...thats not going to be something people forgive or forget as easily.

Yes. We finally cancelled too. Even though my family intended to continue reasonable distancing measures, I cannot argue that tourism in general promotes unhealthy close quarters.

I think it was wrong to portray the notion that the first 2 cases were only recently brought back from the mainland. Those were the first two *confirmed* cases based on very hard to get testing when testing was finally available. The anti-tourist vitriol (eta: not on this site) makes me sad. But I think it also comes from fear understandably.

I completely agree with everything you are saying. Why we haven't made testing everyone we possibly can a priority is beyond me. The only way we can deal with this crisis is by having as accurate information as possible. Or lock everyone in their homes for 6 months... but that will most likely be worse than the disease.

I've seen news of the protests at the Maui and Molokai airports for tourists to go home, and am sorry about that. I never thought I'd see this happen. These are crazy times. Take care everyone.

Hawaii is almost ready to implement a 14 day home quarantine for all returning residents and visitors alike. The plan is to last until at least April 30.

Two cruise ships are only being allowed into port to bunker and resupply before going onto the US mainland. The plan was for the two ships to unload passengers after they had been denied port in other countries, but there's been community uproar about this too so nobody's getting off in Hawaii.

I am now hoping Aulani closes so those of us with rented vacation club points could mayyybe get a refund or rebook because protestors don't sound like my cup of tea.

We were able to grab 5 nights in June with our DVC points and transferred our flights. We are sad that we had to cancel our trip to Hawaii, but we are hopeful the opportunity will come again later this year. If not, we will reschedule again! Stay well!

community spread in hawaii is now confirmed...sadly...the mayor of oahu seems to be ready to issue whatever lockdown orders he's allowed to very soon as well.

14-DAY QUARANTINE IS MANDATORY! Starting next week, all tourists arriving in Hawaii MUST stay in their hotel rooms for 14 days. Violation will result in $5,000 fine and/or one year in jail.

PLEASE do not come to Hawaii. Mahalo.

What will be most interesting is the number of positives from the Kaka’ako drive through testing. They only tested 250 of thousand(s) who reportedly came, so it’s not a true swath of the community but it will still be telling.

(ETA: “Dr. Scott Miscovich, who is leading the efforts, said about 20 percent, or 405 people, out of the 2,225 individuals who were screened received a test between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. The free testing program was geared toward Oahu residents whose jobs put them at risk of contracting coronavirus and most importantly, who already had symptoms.”)

My position (and of many colleagues) is that community spread has been around for many weeks at least. X percent are low or non-symptomatic and Y percent deserve testing and still do not get it. Even today, we have a lot of pushback testing the Ys, though they are finally provisional. When the Hawaii Health commissioner finally says they have community spread it is because they finally tested for community spread (when they weren’t allowed to weeks before, not because it was negative ever).

I am furious at the hospitals and clinics where I live/work and elsewhere. It is beyond hypocritical how they keep the doors open for routine outpatient work but do not have the supplies to keep the practitioners and patients truly protected. They finally cut back late last week but not because of concern, more because of their dangerously low supplies in case a spike comes next week. Patients are misinformed to think it is safe to go to any clinic. There is no magic ongoing mass sterilization at a healthcare facility. It’s a magnet for high risk exposure. And worse-so because of the lack of equipment (wrong masks, low sanitizer and hospital grade wipes, and poor infrastructure for distancing no/low-symptom shedders). Do NOT seek in person medical care for minor symptoms (just assume you have it and stay home); and for anything more, call first.

Last edited:
Don't blame the hospitals and clinics. They can't get supplies that don't exist. Doctors and nurses are risking their lives to help people without the equipment they need. And in most cases around the country they are NOT continuing with routine outpatient work except over the phone.

The first death of a SD County resident was announced today, and it's someone who had returned to SoCal from Hawaii.

It'll be interesting to see if there are more and if a quarantine happens for people leaving Hawaii in the days to come also.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...-coronavirus-in-san-diego-county/2283544/?SDf
March 22: One San Diego County resident has died of COVID-19, Dr. Wilma Wooten said Sunday. The individual was a man in his 70s receiving care in Santa Clara County after returning from a trip to Hawaii. No other information was available.​

Don't blame the hospitals and clinics. They can't get supplies that don't exist. Doctors and nurses are risking their lives to help people without the equipment they need. And in most cases around the country they are NOT continuing with routine outpatient work except over the phone.

@rocketriter: There is a difference between the practitioners and their employers. I will be a little careful with what I say. I am one of those doctors and the issue can be a bit complicated when interests do not always align. Please feel free to IM me and I'll tell you what I mean. There has been some reporting of this finally as well.

What you write is precisely correct and matches what I was trying to say: we do not have enough proper masks and the facilities are not as safe as they need to be. I speak for far more than where I work. We are all in constant correspondence comparing notes around the country. Also outpatient visits include tests that go beyond physician visits (imaging, for example), and while curtailed, they have *not* been fully stopped. Of the ones that are on-going, the precautions are less than optimal.

Last edited:

depends on who you choose to believe...officials at the federal level continue to reiterate that millions of masks are on their way...not sure where from, where to or in what quantities...but they're out there somewhere...and tests have been available to anyone who wants them...unless you're not bad off enough to be in a hospital...or showed up right after they ran out and before more arrived.

doctors/nurses also have every right to complain about workplace conditions, same as anyone else in any other profession...one big difference being that these doctors/nurses are still showing up and doing what they can.

flipside is that the expenses of running a hospital are ridiculous. lawsuits, unpaid bills due to uninsured ER visits, an excessive amount of extra rules and regs (prompted by a few bad apples) cost of drugs and supplies...and with no one knowing what kind of financial support anyones going to be able to get...there are likely a few bean counters looking at the long term and saying "if we cancel all this other stuff...we may save dozens or hundreds...but we won't be around to save anyone else" sad as that may be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!