Our Aulani trip is scheduled for late March. How's everyone doing?

Ala Moana is reducing its trading hours hugely, Hawaiian Airlines will be cancelling all flights to and from Australia - please rethink travelling.

You may not be sick but you may carry the bug to the islands - and from another island nation (Australia) we need to try and reduce the risk to minimise hospital numbers. Australia introduced mandatory 14 day isolations to EVERY person entering our borders - both visitors and residents - with massive fines for anyone caught breaking this law. Hawaii is so removed from the mainland I can see the worry would be the same should it become a huge influx in cases.

so far aulani appears to be staying open with adjustments to policies/practices...who knows how long that will last tho. monday should see a ton more closures and other updates as local governments would have had a bit more time to digest the cdc's latest recommendations. dominos could start falling rapidly as the week progresses...so not much else to do but wait and see...as policy updates seem to be coming far faster than the ability to implement them.

Hawai`i already suffers from overtourism- both the Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau here are struggling with excessive numbers of visitors, even without pandemic. Please don’t come. If you’re into reading, try Tourism Impacts West Maui to understand this long-standing situation; there are many ways that Oahu illustrates a negative outcome.

Disney just closed all hotels from March 20.
I don’t know if this includes Aulani but unfortunately this is escalating too quickly prior to our departure next week so I have low expectations that our trip will happen.

https://dapsmagic.com/2020/03/disne...-resort-hotels/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I just got a promotional email from Aulani at 5am this morning. They're trying to drum up some local business. I would assume this means the resort is planning to stay open for now.

However, even if the resort stays open for the entire duration of your trip, be prepared for your vacation experience to be impacted by store and restaurant closures, service interruptions as people take leave to care for their children (schools closed until end of month), and that Hawaii may seal off the island at anytime. There are a lot of locals calling for the governor to suspend all air traffic to the islands. As of this moment, the governor made it clear that cutting off air traffic is not a viable option. However, this situation has evolved too rapidly for anyone to predict what may actually happen.

People in Hawaii are TENSE and ANXIOUS right now.

ETA: Governor stated he does not have the authority to shut down the airport. He decision would have to come from the federal level.

Last edited:
My post from DVC Fan FB page:

An update on Aulani after a weekend stay: Business as usual, with minor exceptions.

2 nights spent for a staycation (military stationed on island) and engaged with as many CM as possible. These are observations based on normally visiting 1-2x a month just to pin trade and snack. Here are the takeaways.

-Character meet/greets for Moana limited/removed as the only face character, a prevention of risk. All others seem normal as they can be cleaned.
-Luau interactive events/crafts are now demonstrations only with no hands on portion. No word on further luau reductions.
-Presence of gloves across CMs, but not so much you would notice.
-Sanitizer stations added at a few locations, hard to notice.
-Many CM call outs over the weekend across all departments. Staff was short and supervisors were seen manning lower positions.
-CM stated a Monday meeting on protocol would be covering potential impacts of any future decisions.
-Guests were NOT acting in any way to imply a global pandemic had affected their decision making. Felt like a normal weekend day, especially building towards Sunday check-ins for spring break this weekend, mostly island locals.
-No changes to buffet, table service, or quick service dining execution.

Opinion/prediction:
-With Hawaii spring break extended (as of Sunday) and now ~7 cases across the islands combined with latest CDC recommendation for 50+ person events to be avoided, Aulani is a prime target to be limited/closed. Other Hawaii mainstream locations (PCC, Ala Moana mall, Symphony) are scaling down quickly.
-Aulani without the pools open could survive the occupancy hit, but the luau and Auntie's beach house could be at risk to make it more than just a hotel.
-I would manage expectations and have your plan B ready.
Let me know if you have any specific questions!

8th positive confirmed. She's an employee at Kualoa Ranch, a popular tourist destination. They're closing down for now.

Based on epidemiological models expect the actual number of cases anywhere to be 100X whatever is confirmed to date with the low testing. While scary this also supports the more recent data from Asia (especially South Korea) that the mortality is about 10X lower than first thought (because there are so many carriers).

Based on epidemiological models expect the actual number of cases anywhere to be 100X whatever is confirmed to date with the low testing. While scary this also supports the more recent data from Asia (especially South Korea) that the mortality is about 10X lower than first thought (because there are so many carriers).

Exactly what my sister has been saying. FYI, we're up to 10 now - that's 8 more than three days ago. She said they're out of beds in her ER and people are waiting up to 24 hours to be treated. It's only going to get worse. Stay home.

With great sadness, we will be canceling our trip scheduled to arrive this Friday, hopefully we will make our first trip to Aulani soon once things get back to life as normal.
Same boat(not literally) as you, just cancelled for Friday too. DVC not being too kind with our points right now!!

Last edited:
My wife and I were planning on leaving this Wednesday night for a two week vacation at Aulani and Maui. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and had planned the trip for close to two years. We decided to cancel this past Thursday and spent the day on the phone rescheduling things for the end of August, beginning of September. We are DVC members so rescheduling our stay through DVC was easy. On Maui we were renting a condo through Airbnb and our host was able to also switch our week with no penalties or fees whatsoever (Thank you Jeff). We cancelled our VIP Lau tickets(full refund), our scheduled couples massage and all our dinner reservations as well as a few excursions(Pearl Harbor for instance) with no issues. We had planned on renting a car on each island through local rental companies and called each to cancel....they were wonderful. The only issue besides the major disappointment was the airfare. We had booked multiple flights through "CheapOAir" and ended up having to pay a bunch of fees to reschedule our flights. It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things but still a pain. Note to everyone....don't ever use them!! Really hope and pray that things have at least calmed down by then. Stay safe everyone.....we'll all get through this...… Corona Strong!!

I'm sorry for your friends having to stay on the ship, but at least it's the best thing the Company can do to avoid potentially affecting others.

Did DVC refund your points without putting them in Holding?
yes but we borrowed points from 2020 into 2019 for Aulani and they are returning them into 2019. August UY and we cannot travel before 7/31. They had been putting them back from the UY they were borrowed from for other members

So sad 😭
we just cancelled for next week. Our DVC points were returned, and did not go into holding which is good.
Aulani is still open, but there is too much uncertainty.

I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time before Aulani closes, as it is the last resort open at this point. Also, as disappointing as it is, we must think of the greater good and also listen to and respect our fellow DISers who are local to Hawaii, and stay away for now. Hoping our trip at the end of June will happen, but ready for it not to.

We just canceled our trip for March 20-28 and are trying to plan our next adventure. Maybe we will try for next spring break 2021. Way too far away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter