Our Christmas Wonder Cruise

Just Chip No Dale

Earning My Ears
I'll try not to make this too long! I mainly want to give highlights and tips.

We boarded the ship at around 12:45 and went right up to Beach Blanket Buffet for lunch. We sat outside. The weather was warm and breezy. It was great! After lunch I took the kids to the kid's pool (Mickey pool) while my husband made spa reservations. I would recomend getting a Navigator right when you get on board (they are at Guest Services, near the main entrance). Then, during lunch, read the Navagator with the family and plan your day.

I brought a "day bag" (a beach bag) with me on board with the following in it:

Bathing suits
suncreen
sunglasses

We also, of course, brought our camera and camcorder.

When my husband came back, I went to sign the kids up for their progams.

The Oceaneer's Club and Lab:

Had I known how much our kids would LOVE the kid's groups, I would have made reservations at Palos! We were afraid that they wouldn't like the kid's programing. But instead, they begged to go everyday and I had to MAKE them eat supper with us the last night! We have 2 boys, 9 and 5. The 9 year old really loved it and never had us paged. He stayed until closing time everynight and his head never hit the pillow before 1:00am!!
My little one had us paged only about 2 or 3 times. I think he would have had more fun in the Oceaneer's Lab than the Club
because of the computers and games (the Club has computer games, too and dress up clothes) and he really likes K'nex and the Lab had a HUGE K'nex area. His group did spend time in the Lab when the big kids weren't in there.

All in all, I would say that the counselors did a great job (security is very tight to check your child in and out). I'm sure most of the counselors feel alittle burned out at times because they have very little time off.

My kids loved the fact that they ate up at Beach Blanket Buffet everynight. The food was a kids fantasy: chicken fingers, french fries, pizza, etc. with ice cream and cookies for dessert. You can check your kids in and out even during their dinner time ( usually around 5:30).

One final FYI about the kid's program that I almost didn't find out about! On the last day (the day at sea) the kids WHO ARE SIGNED UP AT THE TIME are in a farewell show on the stage in the WD Theater. They march up with their age groups and sit or stand on the stage. A slide show is shown (look for pictures* of your child! I saw one of mine!). In the end, Mickey himself comes out and says a few words. It was very cute and unlike all of the other shows, you are allowed to videotape this one! Also, the kids all get a very nice "I discoverd the Magic" (even on the Wonder!) t-shirt so,save your money for other souvenirs!
* You can't get copies of any pictures, I tried!

The Sailaway Party

Get there early! We first went up to Deck 10 to secure a table and a few chairs overlooking Deck 9. I actually ended up sitting on the table instead of a chair! My husband and kids stayed on Deck 9 to dance. I went back and forth between the 2 Decks, videotaping from both places. When the dancers and characters come out, it is best to be front and center on Deck 9.

I had read on the boards to bring jars of bubbles to blow when the ship started to sail. Don't bother! You'll be so busy blowing bubbles that you won't get to take pictures or videotape anything. PLUS, there are 2 bubble machines on the stage! There will be no shortage of bubbles!

The Restaurants

Our rotaion was supposed to be Parrot Cay, Triton's, Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, but for some reason (they said it was because of the holiday) we went to Triton's 2 nights in a row. We hadn't planned on dressing up twice so, on the second night we were much more casual. I don't remember seeing any tuxes and our table mate (and others) wore t-shirts. I would say to bring more clothes than you think you'll need, just in case.

Our servers were very good and they went out of their way to see that my dietary wishes were respected (strict vegetarian). I had almost forgotten that I told our TA that we'd be celebrating our son's 9th B'day. They had a very nice small cake with a sugar Mickey on top. They also gave him an "It's my Birthday" pin!

Food is available somewhere at almost anytime on the ship so you'll never go hungry! I think I ate my weight in french fries from Pluto's Dog House! I normally NEVER eat them so I let myself have an "I'm on vacation so who cares" pig-out! One of my favorite lunches or snacks was the vegetarian wrap sandwich from Wraps (connected to Scoops).

If you don't eat dairy products (I don't), you can get soy icecream at the restaurants and they can have it brought up to Scoops if you ask in advance. But next time I'll bring my own soymilk from home. Their's was GROSS!

Food and drinks are sold outside of the W.D. Theatre before each show. We brought our own cokes and beer* from home and it saved us a lot of money. I wish I had brought snacks from home,too. They sell Wise brand popcorn (man, I wish they had their famous,fresh, hot popcorn from the parks!) in white cheddar and butter. Buy some before you leave home and you'll fit right in AND save money!

* we just put the cans in our suitcase (room temp.) and brought along a collapsible cooler which we filled with ice. We iced down several cans of each overnight then put them in the fridge in our room. NOTE: the refrigerator in your room will NOT chill things, however, it WILL keep cold things cold! Cool!

Castaway Cay

Please don't pronounce it "Kay", it's "Key"!! This place is truly beautiful. The water is crystal clear, there are beautiful flowers everywhere and lots to do and not a whole lot of time to do it in (Kid's programing and water rentals close at 3:30 and the ship sails away at 5:00). If your kids want to go to Scuttle's Cove for the kid's program, sign 'em up and then head to Serenity Bay the 18 and older beach. We parked ourselves near the bar which was playing loud music, so it wasn't too serene, but it was still very nice. The B-B-Q was very good. They have homemade veggie burgers, but you have to ask for them, they aren't on the menu. There is also salmon, steak, chicken and burgers as well as fruit, potato salad, coleslaw and chips. At the family beach ( at Cookie's), there is also ribs, corn on the cob and cookies.

We went for a walk down the beach (probably where we weren't suppose to go!) and saw a HUGE and BEAUTIFUL starfish! We, of course, didn't touch it and I hope that no one will think that one would make a cool souvenir! Please, just look, don't touch! I'm off my soapbox now...!

Pack in your suitcase some large ziplock bags and bring a few with you to the beach. I found some really pretty shells and was glad I had something to put them in.

She Sells... had some cute things to buy and my son and I had a hard time picking out a souvenir. I couldn't decide between 2 t-shirts for myself so I bought both, but only after asking the guy if I could return or exchange one of them at the ship's store. He said that as long as I kept the tags on and had the receipt, it was o.k.

I don't know how to post more than one page at a time...!

The Shows

The show were very good! We arrived early and waited until they opened the doors (about 15 mins. before the show started). We had great seats each time. I can't say which show I liked the best!The cast of Hercules comes out at the end for a meet and greet and you can take pictures with them.Be sure to ask for each show's Trading Card as you walk out of the theatre.

On one night they had a magician who would occasionally ask for volunteers and at one time he picked my 9 year old! It was a highlight!

First Run Movies

The ship shows first-run movies as well as older ones. One afternoon we saw "Monsters Inc." mainly because we wanted to see the out-takes that they are now showing at the theatres. We were very disappointed when they didn't show them! There were several other families waiting, too! They also showed "Legally Blonde", "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", "Max Keebles Big Move" and the "Emperor's New Groove" during the day or early evening. On two nights they showed "The Royal Tannenbaums" but it didn't start until 11:15 and the kid's programing ends at 12 or 1:00, so my husband and I had to see it on different nights. I had to fight to stay awake for the whole 2 hours of the movie and my husband slept through most of it!

Family Activities

There are plenty of things to do as a family besides the shows and meals. There are gameshows, Bingo ( kid's can't play, but they can stay and watch), ESPN ZONE, ping-pong, Family karaoke, Family dueling pianos, and more! But I will say that when we didn't get picked to be in the "Walk the Plank" Game Show, we didn't feel like staying (are we poor sports?!).

Next time, I think I'll try Bingo. My kids wanted us to play, but we just never got a chance.

Adult Activites

There are several bars both inside and out. The Cadillac Lounge was really cool looking, but we spent the most time at WaveBands because they had the most games and themes. The Internet@Sea cafe is open 24 hours and at one time my husband went there and a guy let him use some of his computer time ( you can pay a one-time price and have unlimited use). I figured I could wait until I got home to check my e-mail! But we did send my parent's a Happy Anniversary Wish via e-mail.

Christmas

After the evening show on Christmas Eve, Rick, the Cruise Director
hinted that there would be a surprise for the kids the next day. That night at dinner, Santa himself came in to say that he'd be too busy tomorrow to come on the ship, but his friend Santa Goofy would be there with presents for the kids from 8:30-9:30am. Sure enough, every child got to sit on Santa Goofy's lap and get a present. My 5 year old got an Oceaneer's Club lunch bag and waterbottle. My 9 year old got an Oceaneer's Lab reversable hat. Very nice gifts! I'm not sure what the older kids got.

Nassau

I haven't mentioned Nassau yet because we really spent very little time there. We've been there before and found it dirty and very much a tourist trap. However, we did want to see the Atlantis Hotel, so we took a ferry over to it. My 5 year old was very tired and cranky so we didn't stay too long. The ferry was $6.00 a piece round trip and the taxis are $4.00 a piece ONE WAY. Do the math! But you are at the mercy of the ferries. They only leave every half hour. I asked if I had to pay full price for my son and was told yes. After we paid, the guy who took us to the boat said he wouldn't have charged us for my son! Why didn't he speak up when the lady made us pay for him!?

Tons of women and girls (and some guys, too!) got their hair braided in Nassau. I just wonder how sanitary it is. I saw signs on Castaway Cay pointing to hair braiding, but I didn't see it being done. I'm sure when Disney does it, it's CLEAN!!

I'll close now, it's late and I could go on forever if I don't stop soon! I just want to say that this cruise was the best family vacation we have ever taken. That's one of the reasons we booked a second one while we were on board! The prices were too fantastic to pass up! We will be on the Magic next time for the Western Caribbean Cruise on September 14-21! Counting the days already!!

Chip

Thanks for the great post. I have been looking for some help on the 4 day Wonder.

Just curious, what night would you have picked to do Palos?

Wow! It sounds as though you had an incredible Christmas cruise!

How did you handle Christmas on the ship in regards to your children's presents?

A great report, thanks for posting!
Pam

Thanks for the report. I'll write one after we return from the January 17th Wonder 3-day cruise. In Nassau, we'll be doing the carriage ride, a little shopping and swimming with the dolphins. On CC, banana boat, snorkeling and biking. Hopefully, we'll be booking the 7-day western for January of next year if it's offered. If not, we'll be going with Dreams Unlimited.

Tina :-)

PS: Santa comes down the fireplace while everyone is sleeping... Right? I guess on the Wonder/Magic he enters through the funnels. How else do all the kids get their presents.

Do they serve punch at the BBQ on the island? As I remember from a cruise we took about a year ago they did. Thanks

Hi everyone!

Lampwick: I think I would've ( and will on our Sept. Magic cruise) booked Palo's on the night that we ate at Parrot Cay. It's a very pretty restaurant, but you can eat breakfast and lunch there, so you still get to experience it. You can also eat b'fast and lunch at Triton's, but it's kinda fun to eat dinner there. The only restaurant that's dinner only is Animator's Palate.

Pam: We personally celebrate Hanukkah, but I know that the family that shared our table had their Christmas before they left home, but they said that they left a note for Santa back home telling him where to find them! Apparently he read it, 'cause both of their boys got gifts from him on Christmas morning!

Tina: I really wanted to go on the banana boat with my 9 year old, but he kept saying "maybe later". Of course when he was finally ready, they had shut everything down! We were both bummed!

A lady offered us her snorkeling (rented) equipment, but the water was so cold I couldn't quite go all the way under!

Next cruise I will definitely do the banana boat and the bike rentals!

Just a quick FYI:
At the scrapbook store today (buying things for my cruise scapbook, of course!), I met a woman who was on the Wonder in April and she said they NEVER docked anywhere! Not even Castaway Cay! She said it was because of undercurrents. She also said that the cruise staff didn't exactly do much to make everyone happy about the whole thing. Her husband has written two letters to DCL and even though they answered him, they have no intentions of giving them any compensation! I would be totally bummed!

Another woman said that she went on a cruiseboat which had it's own ferry that took people to it's private island. If Disney did that, then everyone could have spent most of the cruise on Castaway Cay! She said that the weather was beautiful,too.
What a shame!

Chip

Mommyinmd:
Sorry I forgot to answer your question! I know that on the adult beach they had tea and water but I'm not sure about punch. At Cookie's they did have it 'cause my kids drank it!

Chip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter