Our Evening With Mrs. Dodd...

TwinMom7

Proud Mom of a United States Marine
We had a very nice dinner at Applebee's with Fred Dodd's wife - she's a real sweetie - but very quiet and shy.

She misses him terribly - and isn't "extremely" happy with his decision to go, but understands why he felt he had too.

She doesn't work outside the home - which probably makes life even lonelier. She lives in the country on 5 acres, with two little dogs - patiently awaiting her husband's return. This is a second marriage for both of them, and Fred has two grown children. Her baby is due mid-October. She said that Fred does call her twice a week on his satellite phone. I told her that Bobby had called us via a satellite phone on Saturday morning and she said that it had to be Fred's phone.

She also told us that Fred has sent her three CD's of photographs and that each one has 600 photos. She is currently working on scrapbooks documenting all of his articles and his photos.

Remember the photos of Bobby - singing in the shovel and playing basketball? Well, she said that most likely Bobby had no idea that Fred was taking those photos. He has a knack for wandering around, camera in hand and taking photos when no one knows he's taking them.

We've convinced her to join us on Thursday night for our next Family Support meeting. Hopefully "hanging" around with us will make the remainder of the deployment easier for her. She did say that once our guys come back to California, he will come on home - and then join all of us for the celebration when they return to South Bend.

...as for returning to South Bend, we've heard so many rumors that it will be June. NOTHING is pointing to that at this time. The fact that our unit are reservists means nothing. There are active duty Marines who are currently still in the U.S., and 60,000 Marine Reservists in Iraq and Kuwait. It all depends on their job. Our unit's job is construction and engineering, and their job is just beginning. As of yesterday, no orders have been written for their return to "civilization". :(

Sounds as a night out is what Mrs. Dodd needed. I hope she will join you at Family Night. This must be tough for her since this is her 1st baby.

You ladies must have been such an encouragement to Mrs. Dodd! I hope she agrees to come to the family support night. I think it's fantastic that you are including her and Fred as "one of the family", I'm sure that means a great deal to them.

She must be very lonely and very afraid for her husband's safety, especially as she is pregnant.

That was a thoughtful and caring thing to do, Patty. I'll bet she appreciated a dinner out and the company of others with loved ones in Iraq and found the time spent with you to be both entertaining and comforting at the same time.

You are just a nice person!

Katholyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter