Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 4/23 - MK Must-Dos)

I’ve heard several recommendations for Tiffany, including from a local mom I talk to during M’s dance class. I’m still leaning toward Cast and Crew as I could get the rental stroller from them as well, but Tiffany is likely my backup choice if Cast and Crew is already booked.
I don't blame you for a 2 in 1 situation....

I’ve been to Beaches and Cream once and was honestly underwhelmed by the food, but the ice cream was delicious! Would it be bad to make a meal out of ice cream?
Nope! And you are right the food is just ok....

Since Alex uses his phone does that mean he has his own MDE account? Do you think I should have my husband create one or is it best for me to keep everyone on my account as I’ll be handling all our plans?

Alex does have his own MDE account, but I think that's all about personal preference. Sometimes, he'd rather book the ILLs or do the mobile ordering. Of the two of us, he has more patience for technology. So I'd say if you'd rather just one person be in charge of booking everything, then there's no need for your DH to have an account, too.

We absolutely did! My son LOVED meeting all that characters and just the whole vibe, and that sold my husband too. I’m currently contemplating a December bounce back offer and instead of looking at me like I’m crazy, my husband suggested we go over his birthday this time “if you need an excuse”. My son wants to go back tomorrow 😂. Wishing you guys the same good luck!!

Hooray! I’m so glad to hear your son loved your trip (and the characters!). Also, a double hooray that you converted your husband into a Disney fan! (Jump on that offer to return ASAP! :laughing: )

Agreed! It was just one less thing to think about.

My only concern is if something happens to the stroller (it breaks, disappears, etc.) that they won’t have another stroller to bring us and we’ll be stuck without a stroller. Yes, this is an unlikely scenario, but the huge supply available to the exclusive stroller rental companies is a plus!

So, I’ve never eaten at Ohana and, although I had seen recent mixed reviews, I was still going in optimistic. It was a failure on like every level. It took a long time to get seated (ten minutes, which isn’t bad but is the longest we waited anywhere). Our server took forever to even acknowledge us. They didn’t provide any crayons or activities for kids like other restaurants did. Our drinks didn’t come until halfway through the meal. It was impossible to get our servers attention to get a refill of anything. On the food, I can absolutely see that it could have been great if well executed. The flavors were definitely there. But, for example, our salad came out literally half frozen. I couldn’t flag anyone down to ask for another one. The butter was rock solid. The appetizers were ok but came slightly cold? The main course chicken was extremely tough, even though the chimichurri had good flavor. The noodles were overcooked and mushy. The beef was the one highlight. It took FOREVER to get the check. I told her we had the dining plan and when she finally dropped it, it didn’t reflect the dining plan. I waited for at least ten minutes trying to flag her down before I started walking out of the restaurant to the host stand to talk to a manager or something and that’s when she finally came running over. So just poorly executed on every level. The restaurant itself was also loud, dim and overwhelming to our toddler.

Yikes. Your review (and others) makes me think skipping ‘Ohana’s dinner may be the way to go. My favorite parts are the potstickers and the bread pudding and both are available at Kona… I may book a last-minute lunch at Kona instead! (Skipping ‘Ohana may also give us a better shot at eating at 1900 Park Fare, which is nearly a must-do for us with the characters!)

I think this may be right! When we arrived, only half the buffet was open because they were switching to lunch. It was at least 15 minutes where half was shut and that made the line very long at the breakfast side. But the pastries and waffles seemed in particularly rough shape - like hard and crunchy from sitting under a heat lamp. And the lunch food was BAD and weird. Didn’t go together at all. Flavorless and generally an odd assortment of things that didn’t go together. I also liked the idea of getting to try both and having some time in the park first, but it was a mess. We were there for 1 hour and 15 minutes before giving up because we felt like we were wasting time (and Pooh hadn’t gotten to us in that time frame). The service overall was very slow and inattentive. We sat with dirty plates and no drinks, just waiting for Pooh for nearly half an hour. I wish we gave up sooner! I had also previously had a good experience here for breakfast but I don’t think I will go back after this. If you’re set on it for the characters, which I get, I would maybe recommend like 9:30? So you can do an hour of early entry but you get there before the switchover and before it gets too crowded?

Now I’m contemplating booking a 8:00 and a 10:30 slot and deciding which to keep as we get closer… decisions! Although, I like your idea of a 9:30 slot, too.

He did not! He’s a tall 2.5 (just about 40 inches) so he generally either sat in a booster or just a regular seat. At sci fi, we were sat at a car (which is why my son loved it!), but we all squeezed into one row.

Wow, that’s a tall kiddo! I do not make tall kids as my nearly six-year-old is going to be VERY close to making the 44-inch mark to ride Flights of Passage during our trip. :laughing: All of you in one row in a car must’ve been a bit tight but sounds very fun!

I did! The lack of clarity online about what counts as a snack at places that don’t have mobile ordering was a little annoying but we found ways to use it that maximized the plan! I used 4 snack credits at flower and garden (the lobster tail at Florida fresh, the beef and scallops at northern bloom, and chicken and waffles at honey beestro. One of our favorite snacks (my son and I) was the seasoned corn at Harambe Market in AK, but I didnt use the dining plan for that. We also liked the Wookie cookie and blue milk at HS (both snack credits). We also got some Mickey pretzels, ice cream, and were also able to use a snack credit for my son to get a souvenir glowing ice cube lemonade at flame tree bbq. My husband really loved the all inclusive feel and I found the strategizing behind the scenes kind of fun so it worked well for us. It was also just a natural fit for how we planned to eat with one TS, one QS and a snack. I do think we were helped by my son not having a plan and eating off our plates so it never felt like too much food. We did buy some extra things here and there too.

All those snacks sound great! I’d love to try the Wookie Cookie. :goodvibes

I don't blame you for a 2 in 1 situation....

My only concern is their ability to fix a stroller problem as I’m sure they don’t have multiple strollers like the stroller rental companies… but they seem like a great company so I’ll likely give it a shot.

Nope! And you are right the food is just ok....

Honestly, it’s the only Disney restaurant that’s ever given me tummy trouble. Both my husband and I are affected by certain fry oils (we think perhaps vegetable oil?) and I hate for either of us to feel yucky after this meal. I still really want the ice cream, though…

Alex does have his own MDE account, but I think that's all about personal preference. Sometimes, he'd rather book the ILLs or do the mobile ordering. Of the two of us, he has more patience for technology. So I'd say if you'd rather just one person be in charge of booking everything, then there's no need for your DH to have an account, too.

Thank you for your perspective! I think I will have him create an MDE account for future trips (fingers crossed), but hesitate to mess with our resort and tickets that are already linked within my account for this trip. I wasn’t going to worry about joining any VQ’s as M was not interested in those rides… until now. In the last week she suddenly decided she wants to ride nearly every thrill ride she’s tall enough to ride. What?! :laughing:

Our Disney Trip Trial Run
a.k.a. Hooray for two spring vacations!

I can't believe it - just 65 days to go until our trip! :banana:

And just five days to go until our first ADR booking day! :hyper:

I LOVE booking ADRs (have you seen my crazy list of restaurants?) so I'm super pumped that the first booking day is nearly upon us.

To no one's surprise, I've made a few changes. :laughing: After hearing so-so things about 'Ohana's dinner (and with @pixiedust33's recent experience) I think I'm going to nix it from our plans. I'm a bit sad that this restaurant is so hit-or-miss, but I plan to get my favorite potstickers and bread pudding from Kona Cafe instead.

Without 'Ohana we'll have a better chance of scoring dinner at 1900 Park Fare (which even I'm quite excited to try) and it may give us a chance to include Narcoosee's or another signature into our plans. With @ambula603's strong recommendation and reassurance about Rodeo Roundup BBQ, I think we're also going to add that to our plans! I'm pretty excited to see the inside of that restaurant (and to eat those biscuits!) and I think the kids will like it, too.

In addition to booking our first round of ADRs (thanks, split-stay rules), I will also be booking our Magic Kingdom dessert party and M's visit at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique this Sunday. Based on my scouting, I shouldn't have any trouble booking the pre-party as there's almost always plenty of availability for a day or two after reservations open for everyone. The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, however... HOLY COW THOSE RESERVATIONS DISAPPEAR FAST! Every time I've been awake and refreshed at midnight (when BBB reservations drop), the few remaining late-day reservations disappear in LESS THAN TWO MINUTES. Oh, goodness. Thank goodness we're staying onsite so we have a better chance! Please cross all your fingers for us - I need a BBB slot so I don't have a very disappointed little girl! :scared:

In other news, we're just a few weeks away from our first vacation of 2024! It works best for G's schedule to travel between April and September so most of our trips occur during those months. We're heading west and exploring two National Parks, one of which (Death Valley) is new to both of us.

I'm excited for this trip for several reasons. First, I'm excited to go on vacation, because, who isn't?! Second, it will be L's first time on an airplane and I'm thrilled we were able to find direct flights. Her older sister is VERY excited to fly and should have no trouble on the plane. I'm happy to figure out what works to keep L occupied before we have to take layover flights for Disney World.

Third, I'm happy to get a trial run on what to pack for Florida. Certainly, our clothing will be a little different (plus we're bringing hiking gear on this trip, which we will not need in Disney World), but I get to try out my new travel (park) bag and try using a backpack as our diaper bag. I want to try a backpack instead of a structured diaper bag so it's more "smushable" and can fit in the bottom of our stroller.

The major negative of this trip is we have to bring SO MUCH STUFF. Along with clothing, toiletries, and regular carry-on items, we'll also have our hiking backpack (a must for us with toddlers!) as well as our Pack 'N Play. There are limited cribs available where we're staying and I hated to risk that we wouldn't get one (especially since we're staying at four different hotels on this trip).

After some rough sleep on our vacations last year, we're also going to try a trendy item:

Slumberpod.jpg
(image from Google)

I ordered us a SlumberPod!

We'll need to acclimate L to the SlumberPod before our trip (and don't have much time to do it!) but I hope it will help us all get better sleep on our trip(s). There don't seem to be any negative comments about this thing so we decided it was worth the investment. If it works it will be especially fantastic for afternoon naps - it will be nice to not have to sit in the dark! :laughing:

Have any of you tried the SlumberPod? Also, should I bring along our Pack 'N Play to Disney World as well or would it be best to use Disney's Pack 'N Play (especially considering our split-stay)?

In addition to the sleeping gear, we'll also have to bring the usual assortment of toddler goodies such as diaper gear, dishware, cups, and 1,001 types of wipes. I look forward to the day when we're out of the toddler years - M just needs a few activities, her tablet, and her water bottle and she's good to go. :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to report back next week on how our ADRs pan out!

Up Next: ADRs - Part I

Last edited:
To no one's surprise, I've made a few changes. :laughing: After hearing so-so things about 'Ohana's dinner (and with @pixiedust33's recent experience) I think I'm going to nix it from our plans. I'm a bit sad that this restaurant is so hit-or-miss, but I plan to get my favorite potstickers and bread pudding from Kona Cafe instead.
We tried 'Ohana for the first time on this trip, and I don't think it's one we'll make a point to go to again. It was good, but not a stand out like some of the other restaurants, especially for the price.
With @ambula603's strong recommendation and reassurance about Rodeo Roundup BBQ, I think we're also going to add that to our plans! I'm pretty excited to see the inside of that restaurant (and to eat those biscuits!) and I think the kids will like it, too.
I would add it! The BBQ ended up being the favorite restaurant of most adults on our trip. The kids had so much fun there too. We will definitely go back.
In other news, we're just a few weeks away from our first vacation of 2024! It works best for G's schedule to travel between April and September so most of our trips occur during those months. We're heading west and exploring two National Parks, one of which (Death Valley) is new to both of us.
That's so exciting!!

I can't believe it - just 65 days to go until our trip! :banana:

It's getting closer!

And just five days to go until our first ADR booking day! :hyper:

This is very exciting too!

With @ambula603's strong recommendation and reassurance about Rodeo Roundup BBQ, I think we're also going to add that to our plans!

I can't wait to take my grandsons to this. We went last April with just adults and enjoyed it.

The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, however... HOLY COW THOSE RESERVATIONS DISAPPEAR FAST! Every time I've been awake and refreshed at midnight (when BBB reservations drop), the few remaining late-day reservations disappear in LESS THAN TWO MINUTES.

This really scares me.

Please cross all your fingers for us - I need a BBB slot so I don't have a very disappointed little girl! :scared:

I'll be crossing everything for you.

Your hiking trips sound fun but never having been on a hiking trip and especially not with little ones this is way over my hear. I wish you the best of luck.

Good luck getting those ADRs! I know it is annoying but I kinda like the game of it! It is all part of the planning and fun anticipation.

I recommended the BBQ Roundup to my good friend who went last week and her family loved it, so that made me feel better about telling you guys to try it!

Please cross all your fingers for us - I need a BBB slot so I don't have a very disappointed little girl!
Good luck! I was able to get an appointment for our April trip. I got an 8:10 am slot. Thankfully it allowed me to put in a "range" of dates to secure one.
Have any of you tried the SlumberPod?
Yes! I LOVE the slumberPod. I have two of them. One for the pack n play and one to go over a toddler airmattress we have for our oldest. Both kids love sleeping in the "tent" or "playhouse" and this lets me stay awake and read a book or watch a show on my ipad verses sitting in the dark twiddling my thumbs.
should I bring along our Pack 'N Play to Disney World as well
Don't bother. I have never had an issue getting one for our trips. What I do like to bring is a fresh washed crib sheet so it smells familiar and I use that verses their sheet. We also have a little mattress that folds up in thirds we put in the pnp that we do bring with us. (I know all the rules about putting in non-approved items, but my kids are big enough to not hurt themselves in a bed).

Love national parks trips but you are very good to go with younger kids! So don’t miss days of all that gear!
Backpacks are so incredibly versatile now with the range of sizes, materials etc.
we did an ohana breakfast (no issue getting at 930 pm the night before either) and while fun it is expensive for what you get.
Interested to see the new 1900 PF. We did this years ago when it was the Cinderella dinner (my girls were 6 and 1.5 years old: they are 26 and 21 now!) and this place has been my favorite character breakfast for years pre covid. Hope you can come back with a review!

We tried 'Ohana for the first time on this trip, and I don't think it's one we'll make a point to go to again. It was good, but not a stand out like some of the other restaurants, especially for the price.

This seems to be the current consensus on the ‘Ohana dinner - and that’s a bummer! I ate there for every trip between 2012-2016 and it was excellent. It’s too bad it’s so hit or miss now (as you said, especially for the price).

I would add it! The BBQ ended up being the favorite restaurant of most adults on our trip. The kids had so much fun there too. We will definitely go back.

I noticed this in your TR intro! I’m thrilled that it was so well-liked by your group and I’m getting more excited to try it!

That's so exciting!!

Yes, it will be fun! I hope our plane ride goes well with L - flying with M around the same age was a little rough. However, L is much more chill than her sister so hopefully it will go well?

It's getting closer!

Yes, I can’t believe how close we’re getting! I’m thrilled we’re close to the next flurry of planning, from ADRs to booking airport transportation to completing online check-in.

This is very exciting too!

I LOVE Disney Dining Day! Other than booking the trip itself it’s my favorite part of Disney planning.

I can't wait to take my grandsons to this. We went last April with just adults and enjoyed it.

Another vote for Rodeo Roundup BBQ! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and even happier to hear you’d love to take your grandsons.

I'll be crossing everything for you.

Thank you so much, Vanessa!

I mentioned in Molly’s PTR that I was up late yesterday and went through the entire reservation process for booking an appointment. I found it helpful and VERY reassuring (and yes, I cancelled it immediately). My only concern is I’m hoping to book it during the (likely) very busy Memorial Day weekend, but at least I get a five-day head start thanks to staying onsite!

Your hiking trips sound fun but never having been on a hiking trip and especially not with little ones this is way over my hear. I wish you the best of luck.

My husband’s favorite vacations involve the National Parks. We’ve been to several parks since our kids were born and create a good mix of family-friendly activities and time for my husband to do more strenuous hikes. We do love hiking (G more than me - he also does trail running!), but there is no “roughing it” involved. On this and every other trip we have hotel reservations at a bougie National Park resort. :goodvibes

Good luck getting those ADRs! I know it is annoying but I kinda like the game of it! It is all part of the planning and fun anticipation.

Thank you! I completely agree - I also love the game of getting ADRs. I would say it’s only 10% annoying/anxiety provoking and 90% fun. It’s my favorite part of planning a Disney trip!

I recommended the BBQ Roundup to my good friend who went last week and her family loved it, so that made me feel better about telling you guys to try it!

That’s great - I’m glad they loved it! I really appreciate your recommendation as it seems to be a great restaurant. I’m looking forward to trying it!

Good luck! I was able to get an appointment for our April trip. I got an 8:10 am slot. Thankfully it allowed me to put in a "range" of dates to secure one.

Thank you! You got a great appointment time - that is very reassuring!

I’d love one of the first slots of the day but may need to be flexible. I’d love to book it on our second MK day so we’d only have one night of pixie dust glitter to deal with, but I’ll take what I can get in order to get an appointment. Thankfully we’re staying onsite and I know what time to be online to book the appointment… both should be an advantage. :goodvibes

Yes! I LOVE the slumberPod. I have two of them. One for the pack n play and one to go over a toddler airmattress we have for our oldest. Both kids love sleeping in the "tent" or "playhouse" and this lets me stay awake and read a book or watch a show on my ipad verses sitting in the dark twiddling my thumbs.

This is great - thank you SO much for your feedback! This is right in-line with every other review I’ve read. Our Slumberpod should arrive today and I’m excited to try it!

I did laugh about your sitting in the dark twiddling your thumbs… that is exactly right! :laughing:

Don't bother. I have never had an issue getting one for our trips. What I do like to bring is a fresh washed crib sheet so it smells familiar and I use that verses their sheet. We also have a little mattress that folds up in thirds we put in the pnp that we do bring with us. (I know all the rules about putting in non-approved items, but my kids are big enough to not hurt themselves in a bed).

Thank you for this as well! I’m always a little leary of hotel cribs (mostly due to smells, and somewhat cleanliness), but I do trust Disney’s Pack ‘N Plays. I just don’t want to upset the apple cart if their “different” Pack ‘N Play keeps L from sleeping well!

I’m curious what travel mattress you use. I don’t know that we’ll need one, but I love travel gear recommendations!

Love national parks trips but you are very good to go with younger kids! So don’t miss days of all that gear!

Thanks! My husband LOVES the National Parks and other outdoor-esque vacations so we tend to visit them once per year. We do some hiking or other family-friendly activity with the kids but my husband also does more strenuous hiking or trail running by himself. And we stay at the fancy National Park Lodges - I’m not one for roughing it!

Here’s M during our six-mile hike at Glacier National Park. She was 11-months-old at the time.

IMG_0445.jpeg

we did an ohana breakfast (no issue getting at 930 pm the night before either) and while fun it is expensive for what you get.

I went to the ‘Ohana breakfast back in 2012 and was pretty underwhelmed but the food and our so-so character interations. I much prefer Kona Cafe but M is VERY excited to meet Lilo and Stitch. I know I’m paying for the characters more than the food (although the pineapple-coconut bread should be tasty!), but we can’t beat the convenience when staying at the resort.

Interested to see the new 1900 PF. We did this years ago when it was the Cinderella dinner (my girls were 6 and 1.5 years old: they are 26 and 21 now!) and this place has been my favorite character breakfast for years pre covid. Hope you can come back with a review!

Yes, I’m interested to see how it’s changed! My sister and I ate at the Happily Ever After Dinner back in 2015 and enjoyed it - especially the antics of the stepsisters! I’m sad they changed the character lineup but it will be nice to meet Mirabelle outside the parks. I’ve been inconsistent on finishing my trip reports, but look forward to starting one!

Here’s M during our six-mile hike at Glacier National Park. She was 11-months-old at the time.

IMG_0445.jpeg
awwwww... :goodvibes

awwwww... :goodvibes

:goodvibes

We loved Glacier National Park and would love to go back.

I was worried this hike wouldn’t go well as it was during nap time, but the motion knocked her right out. This backpack carrier has worked so well for us - it’s the same one L will ride in at Grand Canyon and Death Valley!

ADR days are almost upon you! I think all of us who are following along are excited to see how it pans out for you!
It's so sad that O'hana has gotten so hit or miss over the years. But I'm sure 1900 Park Fare will be a winner.

Ugh, I have heard about the craziness that is BBB. My SIL was trying to book it for her 4 year old daughter and she was STRESSING. I will keep my fingers crossed something is available when you need to book.

Your upcoming trip sounds awesome! I love hiking, and it's one of the easiest things to do to wear a little kid out. My kids never slept better than after we went hiking in Scotland. :laughing: I know your girls will need to be in the carriers still, but there's something about the fresh air that'll do wonders, too.

Where were those slumber pods when my kids were babies?! That looks like it would be so convenient. I really hope it works out.
I think you could probably get away with using Disney's Pack and Plays, but maybe bring your own crib sheets? To make it more familiar.

Thankfully we’re staying onsite and I know what time to be online to book the appointment… both should be an advantage.
100% should be an advantage! Keep us posted!
Our Slumberpod should arrive today and I’m excited to try it!
Yay! Can't wait to hear if you love it as much as we do!
I did laugh about your sitting in the dark twiddling your thumbs… that is exactly right!
It is soooo true! :rotfl2:
I’m curious what travel mattress you use. I don’t know that we’ll need one, but I love travel gear recommendations!
We have something similar to this. Just gives the pnp a bit of extra padding to make it more comfortable. My parents also have a Joovy Gloo at their house and we put this mattress under it for my daughter since the air mattress that comes with that is super thin.
pnpmat.jpg

ADR days are almost upon you! I think all of us who are following along are excited to see how it pans out for you!

Less than 24 hours now… at least for the first set! I’ll be sure to report back. :goodvibes

It's so sad that O'hana has gotten so hit or miss over the years. But I'm sure 1900 Park Fare will be a winner.

It really is! I loved our dinners at ‘Ohana and ate there on every trip in the 2010’s. I’d be willing to try it again but hate to waste the money on a so-so experience (especially since no one in my family would break an all-you-can-eat record). I realize we’ll spend almost the same amount at 1900 Park Fare, but the inclusion of fun characters would make up for any lackluster food.

Ugh, I have heard about the craziness that is BBB. My SIL was trying to book it for her 4 year old daughter and she was STRESSING. I will keep my fingers crossed something is available when you need to book.

I never realized how crazy it is to book an appointment! As long as we’re flexible I’m sure we can make something work, especially since we’ll be so close to MK for the first half of our trip. Nonetheless, I appreciate your crossed fingers!

Your upcoming trip sounds awesome! I love hiking, and it's one of the easiest things to do to wear a little kid out. My kids never slept better than after we went hiking in Scotland. :laughing: I know your girls will need to be in the carriers still, but there's something about the fresh air that'll do wonders, too.

Yes, we’re very excited! Only our youngest gets a “ride” in the carrier as M should be able to walk… should being the operative word. I’m sure we’ll hear about how unhappy she is that she doesn’t have a carrier about ten minutes into our first hike. :laughing: Good practice for Disney World!

My husband is looking forward to it the most as he doesn’t get as much time outdoors as he’d like. He’s going to attempt going down (and back up) the entire Grand Canyon - he’d do the rim-to-rim route if only we were there later in the season and the north rim was open. That doesn’t sound like much fun to me but he’s really looking forward to it.

Where were those slumber pods when my kids were babies?! That looks like it would be so convenient. I really hope it works out.
I think you could probably get away with using Disney's Pack and Plays, but maybe bring your own crib sheets? To make it more familiar.

Aren’t they something else?! I hope it helps with sleep struggles, and at the very least, I hope it gives us some extra flexibility during nap time.

The more I consider it I think using Disney’s Pack N’ Plays is the way to go. And yes, bringing our own sheets should help!

100% should be an advantage! Keep us posted!

As long as technology cooperates with me (c’mon, Disney IT!) I think we’ll find something that works. I think many people don’t realize those appointments drop at midnight as I’ve even seen comments on these boards that they’re released at 6:00am.

And don’t worry, I’ll be sure to report back!

Yay! Can't wait to hear if you love it as much as we do!

Thanks! We did receive it yesterday and set it up. I let both girls “play” in it yesterday and plan to use it for most naps this week. I hope it helps!

(And my goodness, that thing is DARK. It really does feel like you’re in a room with blackout curtains even if you’re in the middle of your very sunny family room!)

We have something similar to this. Just gives the pnp a bit of extra padding to make it more comfortable.

Thank you for the recommendation! I don’t know if we need it as L tends to be okay in the PNP once she’s asleep, but it never hurts to have an additional option.

ADRs Acquired! - Part I
a.k.a. Sleep is Overrated

Today was our first Disney Dining Day for booking ADRs! I LOVE Disney Dining Day and it's one of the only times I don't mind getting up so stinkin' early. :hyper:

But that's not all. Not only did I have to wake up before five this morning, but I also had to stay up until after eleven last night to book our "magical extras" (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and MK dessert party). Nothing like five hours of sleep! Or more like three hours of sleep, which is what my watch recorded. :sad2: I think the adrenaline of the first booking window kept me awake and my anxiety about the second booking window woke me up early!

Boy, am I excited to wake up again on Friday to do it again! :rolleyes: Darn you, Disney, and your split-stay first-world problems.

The great news is I only ran into two big snafus in the entire process. One is already fixed and I think we can make the other work (I hope!). Frankly, I'll take it!

First, and most importantly, I got a GREAT appointment time for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique! M will be SO excited to be made into a princess, or Tinkerbell, or whatever the heck she wants.

:jumping1:

Seriously, I was so excited! The great news is there were TONS of appointments all day long once you were more than two days out (60+3 and onward). There were even quite a few at 60+1 and 60+2, just not in the first hour(s). Considering our appointment is during the busy Memorial Day weekend, I hope that puts your mind at ease if you're trying to book at a similarly busy time.

As for the dining reservations, I got everything I wanted around the time I wanted it. Hooray!

Our lineup for the first six days includes...

Breakfasts
  • Crystal Palace
  • Garden Grill
  • 'Ohana (M is SO excited!)
Lunches
  • Cinderella's Royal Table
  • 50's Prime Time (Fantasmic Dining Package)
Dinner
  • Chef Mickey's
  • Be Our Guest
  • Skipper Canteen
  • Storybook Dining at Artist Point
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • Beaches and Cream
I stuck with my plan of one ADR for breakfast or lunch and one ADR for dinner each day. Considering how much I love the restaurants I was proud of myself!

G and I looked over the list and several of the menus last night to discuss our choices. I did 99% of the planning but wanted his input (and frankly, his deciding vote) on a few choices. That's how we ended up choosing an early slot for Crystal Palace (we decided fresher food and a potentially shorter breakfast was worth losing some early morning park time) and choosing Be Our Guest over other options (G thought M would love it, and I'm sure he's right!). I'm a little sad to be missing out on Narcoosee's and Steakhouse 71, but we have so many other great choices (CRT! Artist Point! Garden Grill!) that I'll get over it quickly.

In true DIS fashion, I was signed in on three different devices for each booking window. Thank goodness, as the app decided to randomly stop recognizing my resort reservation and my extended booking window more than once. I just switched to a different device and it worked just fine.

The reservation booking window problem was annoying, but my biggest surprise was the unexpected popularity of the MK dessert party.

I've been scouting ADRs for months and have never seen the dessert pre-party sell out quickly. You can even find availability 30 days from now! I wanted to use a gift card for the pre-payment so I didn't check right away after I booked the BBB last night.

That was a mistake.

When I checked around 11:20 PM CT, I was shocked that the dessert pre-party was SOLD OUT for the night we planned to go. What?! The Seats and Sweets party was also sold out for that date, but that party always seems to sell out the fastest.

Do they ever use Tomorrowland Terrace for a private dessert party?! I'm just baffled that the pre-party was sold out at 60+2 while they had ADRs for 60 and 60+1 days out.

Thankfully there was still availability for the dessert post-party so I booked it immediately. The post-party is not ideal with two young kids, but perhaps it will be okay as then we won't get stuck in the post-fireworks transportation rush. At least we're guaranteed our fireworks viewing spot - if our "desserts" consist of grabbing a handful of cookies to-go, so be it.

The other snafu is Disney charged me for L's spot at the dessert party. The reservation didn't have a ticket option for infants (under 3), but the Disney website said the system should recognize an infant when you add the members of your party to your reservation. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me. I wish they'd make the dessert party sign-up similar to Cinderella's Royal Table - they had clear categories for adults, children, and infants.

Speaking of CRT, they had plenty of availability so I did wait to book them with a phone call. I'm paying for (most) of our dining with travel rewards and gift cards and you can't pay for CRT online with a gift card. The phone CM was able to book it with no problems. She also was able to refund L's charge for the dessert party - whew!

I did ask if she could combine my two reservations so I could book the rest of my dining... but no dice. I've never tried to combine my split-stay reservations but a few folks on the dining boards said they've had luck asking for it. It didn't bother me too much, though, as my only tough-to-get ADR for the second half should be the Topolino's brunch. I'll see what I can do on Friday!

Overall, it was a great ADR booking day! The dessert party timing is disappointing, but at least I secured our prime seating! And YAY for the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and the rest of our great reservations!

I'll be back on Friday to report on our second ADR booking day results.

Up Next: Transportation and Memory Maker booked!

Last edited:
I think the adrenaline of the first booking window kept me awake and my anxiety about the second booking window woke me up early!

Ouch. Hopefully you can take it easy and not do too much the rest of the day.

First, and most importantly, I got a GREAT appointment time for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique!

Yay!!!

As for the dining reservations, I got everything I wanted around the time I wanted it.

Another win! This is great to hear.

choosing Be Our Guest over other options (G thought M would love it, and I'm sure he's right!). I'm a little sad to be missing out on Narcoosee's and Steakhouse 71,

You're not wrong. At the end of the day, little kids are going to want to go visit Beast's Castle over a restaurant in a resort. :laughing: You can introduce them to the finer foods when they're older. :rotfl:

I was shocked that the dessert pre-party was SOLD OUT for the night

Oh wow. That's crazy! It was the opposite for me. The post-party was sold out but the pre was available. Those reservations have been up in the air this spring.

The post-party is not ideal with two young kids, but perhaps it will be okay as then we won't get stuck in the post-fireworks transportation rush.

I haven't done the post with little kids, but I will say, it does go smoother than the pre, I feel like. You go and get your wristbands, and then you get prime seating spots in the garden. When we did it, there was a Cast Member playing trivia and getting the kids involved. So it kept the boredom at bay.
And then there was a CM that made a path through the leaving crowds to get us back to the Terrace. And once there, the kids could eat at their pace. I don't know about your girls, but Evie would take half an hour to eat a cookie, so not feeling rushed was nice.

Sleep is Overrated
You’re a parent. You already know this.
First, and most importantly, I got a GREAT appointment time for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique! M will be SO excited to be made into a princess, or Tinkerbell, or whatever the heck she wants.
Great!
As for the dining reservations, I got everything I wanted around the time I wanted it. Hooray!
:woohoo:
Thankfully there was still availability for the dessert post-party so I booked it immediately.
Sorry you didn’t get what you wanted but glad you at least got this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter