Our first trip to DL has been booked!

We much prefer Plaza Inn. Didn't rate Goofys at all. Hardly any characters compared to Plaza Inn. We have had so many lovely interactions at Plaza Inn.

I haven't done anymore planning towards our holiday, I started a new job last week so I am overwhelmed with that at the moment. I can't quite believe we fly out next month - if this was a WDW trip I would have every day (and meal!) planned out. I hope I'm not underestimating DL:scared:

I'm home tomorrow so hopefully I can get some planning time :rolleyes1

Ok so I have booked a breakfast at The Plaza Inn and dinner at Blue Bayou - so at least I've made a start:)

I'll also look at the others everyone has mentioned, and if anyone else has any suggestions of good restaurants in the parks let me know:)

Ok so I have booked a breakfast at The Plaza Inn and dinner at Blue Bayou - so at least I've made a start:)

I'll also look at the others everyone has mentioned, and if anyone else has any suggestions of good restaurants in the parks let me know:)

It's a bit more relaxed at DL, and not that many sit downs. Downtown Disney is walkable and there are a bunch of options on Harbour Boulevard and along Katella. You'll be fine.

Check out Cafe Orleans, French Market, Hungry bears
Paradise Garden Grill, Flo's, a bunch of options around Pacific Wharf
Catal, Uva Bar, La Brea, Ralph Brennans (don't forget Beignets!) at DTD

Thanks PiO, I'll check all of your suggestions out:) I'll make a list of good options and then we can decide what we feel like in the day.

I've changed Blue Bayou to lunch instead of dinner, preferred the menu.

Thanks PiO, I'll check all of your suggestions out:) I'll make a list of good options and then we can decide what we feel like in the day.

I've changed Blue Bayou to lunch instead of dinner, preferred the menu.

love to hear about the lunch, It is one I tried to get last we were there but couldn't.

We love the fries at Cafe Orleans. So yummy! There is also a famous sandwich there that is a camembert and ham deep fried sandwich. Dh had one and could only eat half it was so rich.

Ralph Brennans in DTD is yummy too.

Have a great time! DL is pretty cruisy, not as much planning as WDW that's for sure.

Just over 2 weeks till we leave!:jumping1:

A few changes - cancelled the Blue Bayou lunch and booked Storyteller's Cafe breakfast instead. The girls wanted another character meal and we all love Chip 'n' Dale and when the girls were not at all interested in the sound of the Blue Bayou I thought no point really! It's different at WDW when we have a dining plan but if I am paying OOP....

I have pulled the suitcases out and started packing - especially all the little bits and pieces I don't want to forget. And it's jogging my memory of things I still need to buy or organise before we go.

I am getting to the panic point, which is completely normal for me (in fact it's right on schedule :rolleyes1) where I feel like I have a month worth of getting ready to do in only 2 weeks. And I'm remembering things I need to do/pack just as I'm falling asleep at night!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Just over 2 weeks till we leave!:jumping1:

A few changes - cancelled the Blue Bayou lunch and booked Storyteller's Cafe breakfast instead. The girls wanted another character meal and we all love Chip 'n' Dale and when the girls were not at all interested in the sound of the Blue Bayou I thought no point really! It's different at WDW when we have a dining plan but if I am paying OOP....

I have pulled the suitcases out and started packing - especially all the little bits and pieces I don't want to forget. And it's jogging my memory of things I still need to buy or organise before we go.

I am getting to the panic point, which is completely normal for me (in fact it's right on schedule :rolleyes1) where I feel like I have a month worth of getting ready to do in only 2 weeks. And I'm remembering things I need to do/pack just as I'm falling asleep at night!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

That's a shame! The Blue Bayou is something really special and I bet they'll want to eat there once they see it!

That's a shame! The Blue Bayou is something really special and I bet they'll want to eat there once they see it!

A podcast I was listening to suggested going to Blue Bayou for dessert, same atmosphere without the price tag. So we might do that:) The biggest problem was no one really liked what was on the menu, the kids meals especially were pretty boring sounding..

Last edited:
In 48 hours we will be on our flight to LA!

I ended up making a reservation at Blue Bayou for 3:30pm one day - hopefully it's quieter then and we can order drinks and dessert and enjoy the atmosphere:)

Our first few days in LA will be spent at Universal Studios (2 days) the beach and Ripleys Believe It or Not and Guinness World record museums. If anyone has any last minute tips on Universal, which beach to visit or Ripleys/Guinness I'd love to hear them!

Packing is nearly finished, just waiting on toiletries which I will throw in Tuesday morning before we leave. We have taken extra luggage ready for shopping but compared to our last trip when the dollar was so high I don't think we will go as crazy this time...

It was hard for my girls to get to sleep tonight, tomorrow night is going to be even harder!

In 48 hours we will be on our flight to LA!

I ended up making a reservation at Blue Bayou for 3:30pm one day - hopefully it's quieter then and we can order drinks and dessert and enjoy the atmosphere:)

Our first few days in LA will be spent at Universal Studios (2 days) the beach and Ripleys Believe It or Not and Guinness World record museums. If anyone has any last minute tips on Universal, which beach to visit or Ripleys/Guinness I'd love to hear them!

Packing is nearly finished, just waiting on toiletries which I will throw in Tuesday morning before we leave. We have taken extra luggage ready for shopping but compared to our last trip when the dollar was so high I don't think we will go as crazy this time...

It was hard for my girls to get to sleep tonight, tomorrow night is going to be even harder!

Safe travels!

A trip for you too? Congrats! Safe travels.

(How long are you gone for this time and where are you going??) popcorn::

Anaheim, Washington Utah ( base for Zion NP etc), Moab ( Arches, Canyonlands etc) then Monument Valley, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, down to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and back to LA.
Raced through a couple of these place last October ( going back with the kids this time)

Day 1: travel day.

We arrived at Melbourne airport bright and early and ready to travel:) Went to check in at Air New Zealand only to find out our flight from MEL-AKL was delayed an hour and we wouldn't make our connection! So they moved us onto a direct Qantas flight leaving in an hour! We were sad because we had booked skycouch on Air NZ but we were happy that we were still getting to the USA:)

Off we went to Qantas and after quite a queue we find out there had been a miscommunication and the Qantas flight was already full so back to Air NZ we went....

Luckily there was a later flight departing Auckland that we were able to get not just seats on but our skycouch! So we flew to NZ and then had a 4 hour wait and hopped on the new flight at 10:30pm. The flight was completely full so our 2 rows of skycouch for the 4 of was a very welcome sight!

This was the first time we have tried skycouch and it was fantastic! Just the extra room of having a seat free was amazing but then once we set up the bed and I was able to lie down with my eldest daughter we actually fell into a proper deep sleep! I'm not usually a good sleeper on planes and I usually get very puffy ankles - skycouch meant I got some real sleep and because I could elevate my legs I didn't end up with cankles!

We arrived in LA to long immigration queues which took a long time to get through. Then a shuttle to Alamo to pick up our car and off to our hotel (the PiO suggested Hyatt Place El Segundo).

For dinner we stopped at In 'n' Out burger. We had never eaten here and after 24 hours of plane and airport food it was so good to sit down to such delicious burgers and fries! I love how simple the menu is and how retro the decor was:)

We arrived at the hotel about 8pm, unpacked and fell into bed.

Last edited:
Day 2: Universal Studios

Up bright and early and after a delicious hotel breakfast we started the long drive to Universal Studios:)

We arrived right on 9am opening but once we had parked and walked through city walk it was after 9 and I was really nervous about our wait for Forbidden Journey. We didn't stop to admire Hogsmeade other than a few quick photos while we walked.

We arrived at FJ and were surprised by the lack of people in the queue, in fact we were not getting to admire many of the great castle details! The wait ended up being about 10 minutes - unbelievable!

So of course we went through again, this time the wait was more like 25 minutes which was the perfect amount of time to take in everything along the queue.

After a look in the gift shop we stopped to ride Flight of the Hippogriff - it was a 25 minute queue for a very short ride. Don't think we will bother with it again..

Time to stop for some butter beer - we all got the frozen one because the day was really starting to heat up. Wandering along the Hogsmeade shops sipping on a butter beer, what a perfect way to spend a day!

The line for Olivanders was really long so we went into the shop next door for Olivia to buy her wand. Exciting stuff! She chose an ash wand, she didn't want a character wand because she wanted it to be 'hers'.

We tried some magic around Hogsmeade, such a fun and clever attraction.

Then it was time to explore some more of the park, we went on the Studio Tour which was not only enjoyable but a nice rest:)

We decided to go to the Three Broomsticks for lunch, the Great Feast was easy because we didn't all have to decide what to eat! The salad was delicious and made me feel good to see us all eating some greens and then the feast arrived. Chicken, ribs, corn, potatoes and mixed veg. More than we could eat but all delicious and so nice to be able to eat a proper meal in a theme park:)

The afternoon saw us watching Shrek 4D, riding the Minions Ride (Daniel did the Walking Dead walk through) and a stop at Starbucks for sone caffeine (smoothies for the girls).

By this point it was nearly 6pm and we were all flagging. So we left Universal, picked up some Wetzel Pretzels and drove back to the hotel.

What a great full day!

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
So would you book the sky couches again? Do you remember how much extra they were, roughly?
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your holiday!

Sounds like a great start.

I'm on tenterhooks.....did the hotel meet with your expectations?

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
So would you book the sky couches again? Do you remember how much extra they were, roughly?
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your holiday!

I would definitely book skycouch again - I bought ours on sale and I think it was $1000 total, which was for 2 sky couches each way:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!