Our planning is sorta starting to take some shape... Suggestions and Thoughts

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hey Everyone...

So I am sitting here with my notebook open, and I am starting to form some type of plan... I have so many good suggestions and a wealth of knowledge that I really have to start really researching and getting to the real deal with lots of stuff..

So with airfare... we are still thinking that it might be easier to fly to the west coast on a evening flight after DH gets off work we will be flying from Fl so this is will give us a jump on the next day catching a flight to Narita, and then back again... it really depends on the flight cost and DH's work calendar... we are leaning to a comfy seat upgrades so maybe we can get some sleep...

(1 or 2) nights in Tokyo - Arrival day - hopefully we won't be completely exhausted and see some of the city in the afternoon, and dinner out - spend one full day touring leaning toward a private guided tour to be able to see what we want - spend the night ---- DH is really leaning toward just staying one night in Tokyo and leaving for Kyoto our first full day,

(4 nights) Shinkansen to Kyoto - We decided on concentrating on Kyoto the list is so long for things that we want to do and see.... We are going to take a day trip to Hiroshima that is a high priority for us ... we really also would like to visit the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest and the monkeys our friends said it was more like a day trip? any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

(4 nights) Shinkansen back to Tokyo - then transfer to another train or maybe private car to - Tokyo Disney Resort - We would like to stay at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, club level... or Hilton Tokyo Bay club level...this all depends on the cost, and where we can get a king bed...

I guess once the airfare opens up for the time we think we want to go... and Dh's work calendar for next year is figured out... then we can really set a budget... Hoping for a air fare sale like last year... as well as a hotel sale... during the holiday this year so that we can lower the budget, and have more $$$ to spend while we are there....

Suggestions for a private car service? airport limo service?

Suggestions for a tour guide in Kyoto and Tokyo?

Restaurants not to be missed?

As always I appreciate any info, suggestions, or thoughts...

:thanks:

Arashiyama can be combined with Kinkakuji as they're in the Northwest part of Kyoto

Restaurants not to be missed: I personally think Ichiran is average but many people think it's the greatest thing ever so give it a try. They can be found everywhere in Tokyo and Kyoto
https://en.ichiran.com/ramen/

Ippudo is a higher end ramen chain and I think it's better than Ichiran but pricier. There's one in Iksipari (Tokyo Disney)
http://www.multilingual.ippudo.com/

Hey Everyone...

So I am sitting here with my notebook open, and I am starting to form some type of plan... I have so many good suggestions and a wealth of knowledge that I really have to start really researching and getting to the real deal with lots of stuff..

So with airfare... we are still thinking that it might be easier to fly to the west coast on a evening flight after DH gets off work we will be flying from Fl so this is will give us a jump on the next day catching a flight to Narita, and then back again... it really depends on the flight cost and DH's work calendar... we are leaning to a comfy seat upgrades so maybe we can get some sleep...

(1 or 2) nights in Tokyo - Arrival day - hopefully we won't be completely exhausted and see some of the city in the afternoon, and dinner out - spend one full day touring leaning toward a private guided tour to be able to see what we want - spend the night ---- DH is really leaning toward just staying one night in Tokyo and leaving for Kyoto our first full day,

(4 nights) Shinkansen to Kyoto - We decided on concentrating on Kyoto the list is so long for things that we want to do and see.... We are going to take a day trip to Hiroshima that is a high priority for us ... we really also would like to visit the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest and the monkeys our friends said it was more like a day trip? any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

(4 nights) Shinkansen back to Tokyo - then transfer to another train or maybe private car to - Tokyo Disney Resort - We would like to stay at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, club level... or Hilton Tokyo Bay club level...this all depends on the cost, and where we can get a king bed...

I guess once the airfare opens up for the time we think we want to go... and Dh's work calendar for next year is figured out... then we can really set a budget... Hoping for a air fare sale like last year... as well as a hotel sale... during the holiday this year so that we can lower the budget, and have more $$$ to spend while we are there....

We originally were going to fly out of Chicago, but we were late getting our points for flights. Now we are doing a positioning flight out of LAX, but I don't mind. We fly in the night before going to Japan and we also are flying in/out of Narita. We were able to earn enough cc points to get business class seats. If you're interested or would like to know how to do that PM me. I'm more than willing to help you get the type of seats you want.

Why does your Dh only want to do one night in Tokyo? There are so many things to see and do in Tokyo that I wouldn't want to skimp on it. Shibuya, Harajuku, and Shinjuku alone could easily take one full day. We are doing all three, but aren't sure if we'll even make it to Shinjuku because there are so many stores we want to go in.

For our Arashiyama day we are doing the Golden Pavilion, Ryonaji Temple, and Ninnaji Temple all in the morning. Then we are going to Arasiyama for the Scenic Railway, Bamboo Grove, Tenryuji Temple, and the Monkey Park.

Personally I wouldn't take a private car anywhere in Japan. Taking a car is WAY more expensive than just using the public transportation. Getting from Kyoto to TDR should be pretty easy. You just take the Shinkansen, then get on the Keiyo line which takes you to the Ikspiari/Disney monorail area.

The airport limo service I plan to use is: https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

We are trying a lot of different restaurants out. We mainly just looked at what's close to where we will be that day. A lot of our meals will be in train stations or close by like from a 7-11. We did plan some sit down meals where we can get some wagyu beef and teppanyaki.

We originally were going to fly out of Chicago, but we were late getting our points for flights. Now we are doing a positioning flight out of LAX, but I don't mind. We fly in the night before going to Japan and we also are flying in/out of Narita. We were able to earn enough cc points to get business class seats. If you're interested or would like to know how to do that PM me. I'm more than willing to help you get the type of seats you want.

Why does your Dh only want to do one night in Tokyo? There are so many things to see and do in Tokyo that I wouldn't want to skimp on it. Shibuya, Harajuku, and Shinjuku alone could easily take one full day. We are doing all three, but aren't sure if we'll even make it to Shinjuku because there are so many stores we want to go in.

For our Arashiyama day we are doing the Golden Pavilion, Ryonaji Temple, and Ninnaji Temple all in the morning. Then we are going to Arasiyama for the Scenic Railway, Bamboo Grove, Tenryuji Temple, and the Monkey Park.

Personally I wouldn't take a private car anywhere in Japan. Taking a car is WAY more expensive than just using the public transportation. Getting from Kyoto to TDR should be pretty easy. You just take the Shinkansen, then get on the Keiyo line which takes you to the Ikspiari/Disney monorail area.

The airport limo service I plan to use is: https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

We are trying a lot of different restaurants out. We mainly just looked at what's close to where we will be that day. A lot of our meals will be in train stations or close by like from a 7-11. We did plan some sit down meals where we can get some wagyu beef and teppanyaki.

Thanks for the limo link.... and I am totally looking at your day in Arasiyama and probably going to copy it... hope you don't mind...

We both seem to be more interested in what Kyoto has to offer, and ease of day trips from there.. we also were trying to keep it to 10 days.. so DH can have some down time before going back to work... Last night he said, I think I really should take off 2 weeks, if we are going to do this right, and not be rushed around like crazy... and this will give him a day or two to recoup from the trip... we will see if this happens I hope so... So this would lets us have some time in Tokyo... and maybe even add in another stop, or another day trip... so will have to see...

When are you going again?

I forget what airline you're flying but if you're on Star Alliance, the Star Alliance lounge in LAX is one of my favorite business class lounges in the world (definitely my favorite lounge in North America). Also don't go to teppanyaki expecting a similar experience to what you get in the US. The "show" part of teppanyaki in North America is an American invention.

Thanks for the limo link.... and I am totally looking at your day in Arasiyama and probably going to copy it... hope you don't mind...

We both seem to be more interested in what Kyoto has to offer, and ease of day trips from there.. we also were trying to keep it to 10 days.. so DH can have some down time before going back to work... Last night he said, I think I really should take off 2 weeks, if we are going to do this right, and not be rushed around like crazy... and this will give him a day or two to recoup from the trip... we will see if this happens I hope so... So this would lets us have some time in Tokyo... and maybe even add in another stop, or another day trip... so will have to see...

When are you going again?
You can totally copy my Arashiyama schedule. I don’t mind at all. That’s why I’m posting things on the dis so other people can see what we did and if it worked or not. Our Arashiyama day is tight time wise and the morning with the three temples will be a lot of walking. We may end up skipping one of the temples but we definitely plan to see the golden pavilion.

We’re going may 26-June 15

I forget what airline you're flying but if you're on Star Alliance, the Star Alliance lounge in LAX is one of my favorite business class lounges in the world (definitely my favorite lounge in North America). Also don't go to teppanyaki expecting a similar experience to what you get in the US. The "show" part of teppanyaki in North America is an American invention.
Yes! We’re flying ANA and I’ve been told the Star alliance lounge at LAX is amazing so we plan to go there. Our flight leaves around 11:45 so I think we’ll get to the lounge early for breakfast.

We don’t go to teppanyaki for the show lol. When we go to our local one Dh actually doesn’t even eat off the grill and gets sushi instead. I practically lick my plate clean though

I suggest you could check out Klook for transport services, they also have various day tour packages.

I followed their day tour to Kamakura in Tokyo and it was well arranged.

For restaurants, if you like bbq beef, you can try Gyu kaku, there's one in Harajuku and Shibuya.

If you are staying in Narita, you might like to read this blog post, how to spend one day in Narita from the website qingthroughthelookingglass

Hey Everyone...

We ate at a restaurant called Za Watami in Kofu in 2014 and in Hiroshima in 2016. There is also at least one in Tokyo, and might be ones in other cities. You have to leave your shoes in a locker, and then the food is served family style. It was pretty good.

We used Asia Car Service for our airport transfers (four adults, 5 suitcases + carry-ons) and were really pleased. Pricey, but worth it for us not to have to haul stuff on trains. We were at the end of a two week trip, by the time we got to Tokyo, so had accumulated souvenirs for folks back in the States... ha!

We used Asia Car Service for our airport transfers (four adults, 5 suitcases + carry-ons) and were really pleased. Pricey, but worth it for us not to have to haul stuff on trains. We were at the end of a two week trip, by the time we got to Tokyo, so had accumulated souvenirs for folks back in the States... ha!

Thanks for the tip, it going in the notebook right now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter