Our recent DVC tour experience

moose81

Mouseketeer
We took a tour at SSR last week so I thought this info might be useful to some folks. Oddly enough, it was somewhat difficult to book the tour.

To start, we run into a hiccup because I walked into the actual DVC building at the GF (where we were staying) and asked about booking a DVC tour, and the cast members there looked at me like I had 3 heads. One person took literally 10 minutes on his computer before finally handing me a card with a phone number. No one thought to direct me to the actual DVC desk in the main building (which I eventually found later).

Once I found the DVC desk, I asked about booking a tour at SSR but they wouldn't let me schedule it for 2 days later ("due to high demand, we are only scheduling one day in advance"). So we had to come back again the next day.

After we scheduled, everything worked out. They picked us up at our resort in a van that had carseats for both kids. We got free coffee and snacks, we were shown the Kid's Club for our 5 year old (who refused to enter) and then we watched a short promo video before our guide found us.

Our kids (ages 2 and 5) weren't in the best moods so we got the fast version of the pitch. They are REALLY trying to sell Riviera right now. I asked about the resale restrictions and he sort of dismissed that it would be a problem. There is a promotion for some free points if you purchase a certain amount (starts at 5 free points with a 150 point purchase and goes up from there). He didn't mention Copper Creek until I asked about it, and he basically told me it was too expensive to buy now anyway. I asked what other properties they are selling right now and he said, "All of them!" and brought out a chart for every property. So he was definitely willing to sell us whatever home resort we wanted, but Riviera sales seem to be the goal.

The mock up rooms right now are Riviera and Copper Creek. They are actively constructing the mock ups for Reflections but they were not open yet.

After the tours, the kids got free ice cream and they offered to drive us anywhere we wanted on property.

We received 4 free fast passes each, not valid on the most popular rides (Mine Train, Peter Pan, Frozen, Slinky Dog, Flight of Passage...might have been more). We were also supposed to receive $150, although I realized the morning of our flight home that we hadn't gotten anything so I had to ask the desk again. We eventually got a gift card via email after we got home so we could not apply it to our hotel tab but I will keep it for christmas gifts. :)

If anyone has a question I can answer, let me know!

We took a tour at SSR last week so I thought this info might be useful to some folks. Oddly enough, it was somewhat difficult to book the tour.

To start, we run into a hiccup because I walked into the actual DVC building at the GF (where we were staying) and asked about booking a DVC tour, and the cast members there looked at me like I had 3 heads. One person took literally 10 minutes on his computer before finally handing me a card with a phone number. No one thought to direct me to the actual DVC desk in the main building (which I eventually found later).

Once I found the DVC desk, I asked about booking a tour at SSR but they wouldn't let me schedule it for 2 days later ("due to high demand, we are only scheduling one day in advance"). So we had to come back again the next day.

After we scheduled, everything worked out. They picked us up at our resort in a van that had carseats for both kids. We got free coffee and snacks, we were shown the Kid's Club for our 5 year old (who refused to enter) and then we watched a short promo video before our guide found us.

Our kids (ages 2 and 5) weren't in the best moods so we got the fast version of the pitch. They are REALLY trying to sell Riviera right now. I asked about the resale restrictions and he sort of dismissed that it would be a problem. There is a promotion for some free points if you purchase a certain amount (starts at 5 free points with a 150 point purchase and goes up from there). He didn't mention Copper Creek until I asked about it, and he basically told me it was too expensive to buy now anyway. I asked what other properties they are selling right now and he said, "All of them!" and brought out a chart for every property. So he was definitely willing to sell us whatever home resort we wanted, but Riviera sales seem to be the goal.

The mock up rooms right now are Riviera and Copper Creek. They are actively constructing the mock ups for Reflections but they were not open yet.

After the tours, the kids got free ice cream and they offered to drive us anywhere we wanted on property.

We received 4 free fast passes each, not valid on the most popular rides (Mine Train, Peter Pan, Frozen, Slinky Dog, Flight of Passage...might have been more). We were also supposed to receive $150, although I realized the morning of our flight home that we hadn't gotten anything so I had to ask the desk again. We eventually got a gift card via email after we got home so we could not apply it to our hotel tab but I will keep it for christmas gifts. :)

If anyone has a question I can answer, let me know!
You got a $150 Gift Card for taking the tour ?
Is that something new?? I will book a tour on my next trip, if that's the case.

You got a $150 Gift Card for taking the tour ?
Is that something new?? I will book a tour on my next trip, if that's the case.

I don't believe it's new although I think the value can change depending on your party and when you book. We received a couple letters in the mail before our trip offering us a $50 giftcard if we booked a DVC tour before we arrived on property. I read here on these boards that the incentive would likely be bigger if you booked on site so that's what we did. Definitely ask the next time you go!

I don't believe it's new although I think the value can change depending on your party and when you book. We received a couple letters in the mail before our trip offering us a $50 giftcard if we booked a DVC tour before we arrived on property. I read here on these boards that the incentive would likely be bigger if you booked on site so that's what we did. Definitely ask the next time you go!
Yes - I will, THANKS!

I asked what other properties they are selling right now and he said, "All of them!" and brought out a chart for every property. So he was definitely willing to sell us whatever home resort we wanted, but Riviera sales seem to be the goal.

I had no idea Disney anything other than Riviera or Aulani right now! So interesting... I might see if I can talk to a Rep about availability at another resort. (Although I should have spoken with a Rep & taken a tour when I was there 2 weeks ago for the Fast Passes and gift card! 😉) Thanks for the info!

Ahhh- OK, that makes sense,
They didn't offer that when we first bought in 2011; all we got was ice cream! :rotfl2:
We got lemonade and cookies in 1997. If you are an owner, they won't even let you go on a regular tour unless you plan to buy. Otherwise, if you are just nosy and want to see what the newest toy DVC is offering, you just go on one of the member tours (like once a week at a certain time maybe?).

Just wanted to update about tour today..did a split stay value and deluxe. I waited until we had checked into blt to sched the tour. Walked right up to desk by chef mickeys booked for next day and was given a choice of 6 diff slots. He even showed me the screen and said pick a location and time. We ( myself, DH, DS and my mom ) saw copper creek but they were trying to sell riviera.. got 4 fp ea and $150 Gc total. I was told about both freebies at time of scheduling but didn't ask. Tour was 90 min because we had a lot of questions but I can see it taking just an hour for someone else. Gc were emailed about 30 min after tour started.. I was very surprised how quickly they came through. No ice cream.. no additional stops or offer to see a riviera room.

Just wanted to update about tour today..did a split stay value and deluxe. I waited until we had checked into blt to sched the tour. Walked right up to desk by chef mickeys booked for next day and was given a choice of 6 diff slots. He even showed me the screen and said pick a location and time. We ( myself, DH, DS and my mom ) saw copper creek but they were trying to sell riviera.. got 4 fp ea and $150 Gc total. I was told about both freebies at time of scheduling but didn't ask. Tour was 90 min because we had a lot of questions but I can see it taking just an hour for someone else. Gc were emailed about 30 min after tour started.. I was very surprised how quickly they came through. No ice cream.. no additional stops or offer to see a riviera room.

are you already a member?

We did it while staying at GF in August. Approached the DVC desk on my own to get gifts, but did not mention them. They gave us $150 GC ($75/adult) and the four fastpasses. We hAll delivered before tour was over. Able to chose between Poly or WL for tour and could have gone as soon as 3 hours later, but picked our scheduled resort day. Chose Poly, mainly because I wanted Dole whip afterwards (which we purchased). We got drinks during meeting and they gave us 4 chocolate covered rice krispie treats as a going away gift. Saw a Poly room. Meeting lasted about two hours--we had lots of questions.

At the end of our vacation, went over to SSR with my daughter to see a Riviera room-I thought much nicer than Poly (which has been my favorite resort). Did the tour with members (we were not at the time).

Fast forward--the hook of the free gifts got us to purchase when I never thought I would (but have always wanted to). We bought 155 points + received 5 "free" points. Just waiting to close.

Fast forward--the hook of the free gifts got us to purchase when I never thought I would (but have always wanted to). We bought 155 points + received 5 "free" points. Just waiting to close.
Welcome Home. May you have the great memories we have had!

Last edited:
We just purchased SSR in August. Received the $150 in gift cards before we left the building as well as the 4 fast passes per family member (with ride restrictions). They offered us Riviera, Aulani, OKW, CC or SSR points. We received the 2019 points but I assume that is typical. We were staying at SSR at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!