Our travel group has new parents-Tips?

MeridAriel

Mouseketeer
Hi there!
My best friend has two new babies, and as adults, we've only ever gone in groups of adults. I know this upcoming trip will be quite different. Does anyone have any tips for what to expect, what to plan for, what to be aware of, what to avoid doing?
Thank you!

Have you asked your friend? I think it really depends on her. Does she need to return to her hotel room to nap or pump or whatever. Does she want other group members to ride swap with her. Or does she just want to tag along and hang out. (I wouldn't think the last, but I have a friend like that). What are her dining plans- are you all eating together? Because that might mean earlier ADRs and different ADRs (I'll take babies to just about any restaurant but some people don't feel the same).

I think my only tip would be to be very flexible if you all want to hang out together.

We have a couple of joint reservations, and as we live in separate states, part of the point of these trips is to get to see one another, so I know the goal is to not separate anymore than we have to. I know we'll separate if they need naps or breaks, and I know I'll need a break from the wee ones (I don't have my own for that reason haha) once in a while. I think because she'd rather have an adult trip that we've not discussed much about the specifics because it stresses her out. Just trying to be helpful and have some bits of advice or heads up on things we may not have thought of on our own.

If they have done Disney before, then let them make their own plans to meet the needs of the babies and you try to fit yourself into their schedule. If they want dinner at 4:30 then make it work. Trying to plan FP for both parties to coordinate both might be difficult. Maybe plan an afternoon pool time,

I don't think you mentioned how young the babies are - twins? Their age makes a big difference in what they can do and their touring style. I would just plan you own time, meet up for dinners or lunch and keep things loose so when they want/need to go back for breaks it doesn't affect your plans.

My biggest advice is to be flexible and go with the flow. I believe I read that MK has a really good Mother's Room off of Main Street if she needs a little in-park down time with the baby (not sure if the other three parks have something similar, but I would imagine so). The greatest thing I think you can do as a friend is be supportive of whatever decisions they make and offer a hand whenever possible to give the parents a break (i.e. stay with the babies so they can use a FastPass for a ride or be flexible with an early ADR). Since they're first time parents, traveling to/from the parks could be a little overwhelming. We find that even when we allow ourselves extra time, we still manage to run late no matter what.

Thanks everyone. She's actually a Cast Member & we've been many times before, but as I said, they've been adults-only trips. I will be as helpful as I can be (though I know I will need a break from the little ones-there's a reason I don't have my own haha), and again, at least half the point of this trip is for us to see each other, so I will mostly be going wherever they go. I hadn't planned to make their plans for them (we always plan together), or not go along with when they need breaks or food (though I will likely stay at the parks when they take hotel breaks). Just wondering if there were helpful features (like this Mother's Room-that sounds great!), advice, or tricks that would help everyone involved. As for ages, one will be almost 1 by the time we go and the other will be just over 2.
Thanks again!

We took a trip with our little ones and extended family. Some of the nice things they did for us:
  • Offered to go get the strollers from stroller parking when it was a gazillion miles away and I was handling crabby kids
  • Took the kids on "walks" during meals so we could enjoy a few minutes of conversation
  • Rider swapped so we could go on roller coasters and haunted mansion and stuff
  • Took charge of stuff and/or a kid on buses and boats
  • Took LOTS of pictures since our hands were full!
  • Would take one kid to the buffet so we had to carry less
  • Would help clean up the table and repack kid stuff into strollers when meals were over especially at quick service
  • Went and had FUN while we took the kids back for naptime - it was cool to see their pictures
  • Had enthusiasm for things we weren't that into (like teacups or certain characters) that got the kids more into it too
  • Brought glow sticks to the night parade during the wait
  • Ran and got snacks once we were all settled someplace to help with wait for parades and shows and things
Basically, kids get crabby and need distractions, and kids have a lot of stuff. Your friends will be drowning in kid stuff (strollers and sippies and diapers and spare clothes and snacks and wipes and toys and pacifiers and on and on). If you can distract kids for a bit, and help with all the stuff, I bet they will appreciate it greatly!

This is super duper helpful! Thank you!
I actually work with kiddos, so this is where I shine :) though I can't say I've ever done so with alcohol in my system hahaha-I'm a sign language interpreter in Deaf school programs. I'm pretty good at remembering things & activities for distractions (I've got ADHD & grew up keeping myself occupied) & totally get kiddo-level excited over things they love, too. I will happily take them for a walk or quick dance party if they get fidgety. I also really like that you encouraged your family to go have fun on their own, too! Happy mediums are where it's at. I plan to be helpful, but, I also don't want to be on kiddo-duty the entire time (which she would never let happen or expect anyway).

We took a trip with our little ones and extended family. Some of the nice things they did for us:
  • Offered to go get the strollers from stroller parking when it was a gazillion miles away and I was handling crabby kids
  • Took the kids on "walks" during meals so we could enjoy a few minutes of conversation
  • Rider swapped so we could go on roller coasters and haunted mansion and stuff
  • Took charge of stuff and/or a kid on buses and boats
  • Took LOTS of pictures since our hands were full!
  • Would take one kid to the buffet so we had to carry less
  • Would help clean up the table and repack kid stuff into strollers when meals were over especially at quick service
  • Went and had FUN while we took the kids back for naptime - it was cool to see their pictures
  • Had enthusiasm for things we weren't that into (like teacups or certain characters) that got the kids more into it too
  • Brought glow sticks to the night parade during the wait
  • Ran and got snacks once we were all settled someplace to help with wait for parades and shows and things
Basically, kids get crabby and need distractions, and kids have a lot of stuff. Your friends will be drowning in kid stuff (strollers and sippies and diapers and spare clothes and snacks and wipes and toys and pacifiers and on and on). If you can distract kids for a bit, and help with all the stuff, I bet they will appreciate it greatly!

This - and also expect to see Disney from a different perspective. Also - not sure if this matters since you said your friend is a CM, but rider swap is AWESOME and I think there's a way you can maximize FP that way too. Or ride more than once. :)

Baby care centers at all of the parks are wonderful. Have not used one in 18 years but there was a quiet area to nurse and high chairs to feed baby. It was cool and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter