Our Very Merry USO, DCL, and WDW Christmas Break!

Sounds like a fun day at UO! I think I remember hearing that the batteries die in the wands but bring them back anyway and they’ll replace them. That was so nice of the CM to notice and help you guys out though!

Can’t wait to hear all about your cruise! 🚢

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon your report after my DIS break!

What a great day at USO! Jimmy looks absolutely thrilled to be there - his smile is huge in nearly every picture. I didn't know they had a Grinch breakfast (I only knew about the WWOHP breakfasts) and it looks quite fun. I'm so happy you were able to ride the roller coasters you wanted, despite the cruddy weather!

Thank goodness for the great interaction with Mickey (ha ha!) at Duff's. I'm glad he returned the magic back to the Universal parks for you after your poor interaction with the CM the night before.

I'll check out your cruise report next!

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon your report after my DIS break!
Hi!!! Welcome aboard :) I'm so glad you found me, too!

What a great day at USO! Jimmy looks absolutely thrilled to be there - his smile is huge in nearly every picture. I didn't know they had a Grinch breakfast (I only knew about the WWOHP breakfasts) and it looks quite fun.
He really loves Universal, which makes me laugh because he won't ride SO many of the things they have to offer, but they have Harry Potter, and that just has Jimmy's heart!!

The Grinch breakfast was really a lot of fun!! I'm so glad that we were able to add that on to our one day because it seems to have limited availability.

Thank goodness for the great interaction with Mickey (ha ha!) at Duff's.
He was so great!! I was really grateful to him for helping us out :)

I'm so glad you found this TR! I know you were headed to the cruise part of the trip, so I'll see you over there!! When that TR wraps up, I'll come back here for the Disney days that followed our cruise!

I somehow missed your last post about the cruise report and have been waiting patiently for you to update here :rotfl: :confused3 I love your US time, it makes me miss it so much. I really want to spend a few days at US on our next trip. I hope I can make it work and the world also makes it work!!

I somehow missed your last post about the cruise report and have been waiting patiently for you to update here :rotfl: :confused3 I love your US time, it makes me miss it so much. I really want to spend a few days at US on our next trip. I hope I can make it work and the world also makes it work!!
I hate when my DIS notifications let me down like that!!

We really enjoyed our two trips to Universal, too, a lot more than I had even thought we would! I'm hoping to get back there again, as there is still a lot we have yet to do!

I'll be back here to add on our Disney days that followed our cruise, after I finish the cruise TR! :) Hope to see you there!

I didn't realize you had a TR going for some reason. I really should pay attention to other people's signatures, but I'M HERE!

Also, I WAS AT UNIVERSAL THAT EXACT SAME DAY. No joke. I remember how rainy it was that day. I was actually in line for Hagrid's while the Castle show was happening, I was facetiming my family because the wait was so long and I was so bored lol Oh and yeah I WAS BY MYSELF THE WHOLE DAY. Perfect day for us to have had a quick little meet. I mean, IMAGINE IF I HAD ACTUALLY WENT TO WATCH THE SHOW FROM A GOOD SPOT OR YOU HAD GOTTEN IN LINE TO RIDE HAGRID'S. Wow, this one has me so shook. IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN.

I'm sorry everything was mostly rained out for you. Should've gone in to do the Horror Make-Up show after they cancelled the parade since you were right there. That definitely would've cheered you guys up. I'm glad though you still managed to get so much done and shoutout to Mickey for being such a good Team Member! Honestly, TMs can be pretty fantastic. A lot of them tend to also be CMs or former CMs.

All your stories about these Universal M&Gs makes me wish I had made more of a point to do them. I mostly was waiting for my performer friends to be with a certain character or two. Also I'm so weird about how the meets work at Universal. I've only ever done the Grinch back when I went with my family and it was super fun, but I just don't know how I'd handle that on my own. Lol, those meets might be more nervewracking to me than HHN lmao

Gonna hop over to read about your cruise now!!

I didn't realize you had a TR going for some reason. I really should pay attention to other people's signatures, but I'M HERE!
Yay, Timmy!! I'm so glad you found me!! :)

Also, I WAS AT UNIVERSAL THAT EXACT SAME DAY. No joke. I remember how rainy it was that day. I was actually in line for Hagrid's while the Castle show was happening, I was facetiming my family because the wait was so long and I was so bored lol Oh and yeah I WAS BY MYSELF THE WHOLE DAY. Perfect day for us to have had a quick little meet. I mean, IMAGINE IF I HAD ACTUALLY WENT TO WATCH THE SHOW FROM A GOOD SPOT OR YOU HAD GOTTEN IN LINE TO RIDE HAGRID'S. Wow, this one has me so shook. IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN.
SERIOUSLY!? UUUUGh, so not bad enough we didn't see you on your home planet after the cruise, but knowing I missed you here, too, is just salt in the wound!!!

Should've gone in to do the Horror Make-Up show after they cancelled the parade since you were right there. That definitely would've cheered you guys up. I
It was on my list!!!! Another friend of mine absolutely raves about the show, but at that point in the day, we were just kind of done. I definitely want to check that out next time though!

All your stories about these Universal M&Gs makes me wish I had made more of a point to do them.
I really love that you don't have to wait in a huge line to do the Universal meets! Some of the superhero ones were awkward even for Jimmy, for some reason, but I think it's mostly because he's not super "into" superheroes, so he couldn't really make much conversation. Makes for good pics in any case :)

Gonna hop over to read about your cruise now!!
See you there!!

Hi Jackie! :wave:
Didn't know you had this going on. I'll drop by a bit later to catch up. Looking forward to the read. :)

Hi Jackie! :wave:
Didn't know you had this going on. I'll drop by a bit later to catch up. Looking forward to the read. :)
Hi!!!! :) Glad you found me!

I paused in the middle of this TR to start a cruise TR, too, then I'll be back to this one with our Disney days that followed.

Thanks for coming along! :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, it's just so much more magical to celebrate where I can monorail to my destinations and let someone else do the driving!
Very valid point!
A few years ago, my Dad mentioned to my Mom that the only way he'd ever do Disney again was if we could do a Disney Cruise.
Good way of guaranteeing a cruise. :rolleyes1
My nephew Liam was born much too early, but valiantly survived 12 days.
I'm so sorry to hear. My condolences to you and your family.
On the same day he was born, I was diagnosed with shingles
Oh, no. Were they bad? I've had them too, but luckily (?) just localized under one eye.
On January 23rd, we gathered as a family to say goodbye to our sweet angel, Liam.
:sad1:
I've found it hard to find things to smile about and just felt down in the dumps, but am really working hard at trying to turn things around mentally.
:hug:
And you wrote that before the Covid lockdowns.
How are you, Jackie?
Since we wouldn't be home for Christmas Eve, Jimmy's number one concerns were sprinkling reindeer food outside and making sure Santa's treats and beverage were stocked and ready for his arrival!
Awww. :)
Yes, he's 10. Yes, he's a boy. Yes, he has an American girl doll. (Actually he has 2 more at home!) He's going to be the best Dad in the world. :lovestruc
:thumbsup2
We paid for Universal's Star Shuttle to pick us up at MCO
Did not know about this. Good to know.
My Mom and Dad were really impressed with the one security station for all incoming park guests versus some of the park security lines we have been faced with at WDW!
::yes:: I loved that about Uni.
That's great! Was Jimmy a bit nervous?
I was flabbergasted (I just love that word, and this is the perfect place to use it!)
:laughing:
She told me, "We don't do that here." I was confused, but more P.O.ed honestly. I stormed off as I loudly said over my shoulder, "Yea, and THAT is why I spend MY money at Disney World!"
Wow. Soooo helpful. :sad2:
The proximity to City Walk and the parks is really a perk of visiting USO vs. WDW, way less travel time necessary!
::yes::
Cool shot!
the TM offered to stop and take our picture in this very lovely red brothel lit area!
:lmao:
They chased Jimmy around a little and kept poking and tickling him, which was so fun to see.
:goodvibes Wonderful! You must've been grinning from ear to ear, yourself.
Sometimes as a 10 year old he looks so big to me, but listening to that giggle and seeing how happy he was to be here just made my heart smile and brought happy little tears to my eyes! Even my Dad got in on the fun. I feel like I can hear his laugh when I look at his picture.
Awwww. :)
And who was waiting for us there? None other than the Cat in the Hat himself! My Dad used to read me that story ad nauseum when I was little, so I was Super excited we got to meet him together.
You look pretty pleased. :)
So, if things seem a little wonky or badly out of normal touring plan order...it's because I don't know how to make a plan for USO the way I do for WDW!!
Hint. There's a UOG for Universal, too. ;)
We came across the bridge and there was Hogwarts Castle to our left. I have to be honest, this is one of those things that gives me goosebumps and a tear in my eye, just the way Main Street, U.S.A. and Cinderella Castle get me every time!
::yes:: It's just... so well done.
My Dad and I would be the only ones riding Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but the queue is so incredible,
::yes:: Totally agree!
That is a welcome difference between USO and WDW--character lines are pretty non-existent!
Ah! I don't really do characters, so didn't know.
Before leaving Superhero Island, we convinced Jimmy to go on The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman. He was SUPER nervous, but did feel brave enough to give it a try, and was so glad he did! It ended up being a favorite of his from this trip, and he convinced Grandpa to take him on it again later in the day.
Good! It's such a fun ride!
the Lorax
I had never seen the movie (or read the book (I presume there is one.)) until my DD23 had me watch it just a week or so ago.
I literally skipped and "WOO HOO"ed all the way over to wait my turn
:laughing: Good for you!
Great shot! :) Bet you were thrilled.
Those are great!
I snapped this selfie that I wasn't sure I was allowed to take, but couldn't resist!
Really like that one. Looks like ET is in your closet.
A TM came over and he explained the problem I had been having with the app. She opened another register for me, allowing me to skip the giant line of people waiting there to order, and after I paid brought me to a side exit off the kitchen where my order was out on a tray in my hands in less than 4 minutes!! I couldn't believe the level of customer service I received here, and it truly made me feel better about Universal as a whole than I had the previous night at the hotel!
Very nicely done! Impressed with that.
He mentioned we wouldn't believe how little, if any, tip many people leave, like they forget this isn't a cartoon world, it's a real bar.
Huh. I'm not surprised. I have a feeling people don't tip at Disney either.
Love Olive Oyl's pose. :)
You look like you're having the time of your life too!
After about 4 minutes of sitting in our perfect spot, a TM came along to inform us that WHOMP, WHOMP. The parade was cancelled.
Oh, no!
This was a really tricky spell that he FINALLY got to work in the window of Honeydukes!
Good for him! I saw a lot of kids doing spells, but I don't remember that one.
Gorgeous shot!

Oh, no. Were they bad? I've had them too, but luckily (?) just localized under one eye.
My shingles were thankfully just on my left side, about a 2x3 inch patch. It wasn't horribly painful, mostly super itchy, and then had some nerve pain for the next few weeks, that has mostly subsided now. Only just a twinge now and then! Thank goodness.

And you wrote that before the Covid lockdowns.
How are you, Jackie?
2020 has just been a rollercoaster of awfulness for our family (now our world, too!). I keep hoping that happy days are around the corner, but keep getting hit with more crappy stuff. I'm glad to be healthy though, and safe at home with my family. It was really not so bad being at home the last few months with Rob and Jimmy. They're my favorite people, so we did have some fun and make the most of our quarantine!

I had never seen the movie (or read the book (I presume there is one.)) until my DD23 had me watch it just a week or so ago.
The Lorax is a great Dr. Seuss book! I always read it to my Kindergarten class for Earth Day. I think the message is still so relevant, even after SO long!

Huh. I'm not surprised. I have a feeling people don't tip at Disney either.
I have a cousin who owns a bar and always shares stores about the restaurant/bar industry. He makes it a point to always overtip, and has rubbed off on me. It just astounds me that people wouldn't assume they need to tip for good service!!

My shingles were thankfully just on my left side, about a 2x3 inch patch. It wasn't horribly painful, mostly super itchy, and then had some nerve pain for the next few weeks, that has mostly subsided now. Only just a twinge now and then! Thank goodness.
Glad it's over for you too. I had twinges for... a year? Two? Just enough to remind me that something happened, no pain or anything.
2020 has just been a rollercoaster of awfulness for our family (now our world, too!). I keep hoping that happy days are around the corner, but keep getting hit with more crappy stuff. I'm glad to be healthy though, and safe at home with my family. It was really not so bad being at home the last few months with Rob and Jimmy. They're my favorite people, so we did have some fun and make the most of our quarantine!
The Lorax is a great Dr. Seuss book! I always read it to my Kindergarten class for Earth Day. I think the message is still so relevant, even after SO long!
I agree!
I have a cousin who owns a bar and always shares stores about the restaurant/bar industry. He makes it a point to always overtip, and has rubbed off on me. It just astounds me that people wouldn't assume they need to tip for good service!!
I worked as a line cook (my first real job.... but we didn't get tips.)
I saw first hand how hard restaurant staff work. I too overtip.

Not sure how I missed the order on these TR’s but I’m all caught up! Reading your UO TR makes me super excited for my upcoming trip in 20ishdays! Can’t wait to read about the WDW portion!

Not sure how I missed the order on these TR’s but I’m all caught up! Reading your UO TR makes me super excited for my upcoming trip in 20ishdays! Can’t wait to read about the WDW portion!
Hi, Whitney!! :) Glad you found me here! We just spent a week at Universal again for Jimmy's birthday, and had SO much fun (besides the melting heat, LOL!) I'm jealous you're going back there while I'm getting ready to go back to teaching in-person Kindergarten!!

I'm hoping I still have DIS time to wrap up that report and write about visiting WDW the week that it opened!!! :)

Have a great time on your trip!

Hi, Whitney!! :) Glad you found me here! We just spent a week at Universal again for Jimmy's birthday, and had SO much fun (besides the melting heat, LOL!) I'm jealous you're going back there while I'm getting ready to go back to teaching in-person Kindergarten!!

I'm hoping I still have DIS time to wrap up that report and write about visiting WDW the week that it opened!!! :)

Have a great time on your trip!
I enjoyed seeing the pictures from Jimmy's Birthday on facebook! I have a new found love for all things HP since I have actually read the books now. :cool1:
Good luck to you this coming school year! I couldn't imagine teaching so many little ones with everything going on!

I have loved reading your trip reports! But I can’t seem to find your Disney world part. Am I just blind?!

Hi!!! :) I'm glad you've enjoyed reading along! You are definitely NOT blind!!! The WDW part of the trip is still waiting to be written. After teaching Kindergarten remotely all spring, I took a DIS break and then finally finished the cruise part of our trip write up! In July, I went back to WDW and after my 14 day quarantine headed to Universal for my son's bday trip. Now, I'm back in school-mode! Hoping to get the next part written soon :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!