Our VRBO won’t give us a refund

One more thought.... those VRBO owners wouldn't have a business at all if it weren't for Disney or Universal parks. What would they expect if the parks close? That tons of people are clamoring to vacation in the middle of Florida?

I completely understand prior contracts, that's not the issue. The issue is the owner not being willing to even have dialogue or have concern how this unprecedented thing is affecting others. It's too bad and a sad situation.
There is a great big wide world outside of Disney and Universal so no it's not about "not having business outside of Disney or Universal"

Even if anyone has contacted the owners for some the only solution they see if the owners give a refund (full or 50%) so saying the issue is the owner not being willing to even have a dialogue won't change a thing if you think the only acceptable answer is the owner gives the refund.

Ironically when you say "have concern how this unprecedented thing is affecting others" the very owner gets left out of that consideration I guess considering they may very well be having concern here.

I think it would be quite nice for any owner to offer a refund or reschedule if possible I just also realize the incredibly rough spot everyone on all fronts are facing.

I think it would be quite nice for any owner to offer a refund or reschedule if possible I just also realize the incredibly rough spot everyone on all fronts are facing.
I agree it's a rough spot with no winners. But at least more effort on the part of the owners would be appreciated and appropriate. Even a 50% refund helps both parties; renter gets some back, owner keeps some and doesn't get bad customer service reviews.

And the big world outside Disney or Uni wouldn't exist if it weren't for the development after the parks were built there. Once things start actively closing down there now that they have cases in Orange and Osceola counties, like they are here, there would be nothing to do other than sit in the VRBO room. There are so many unknowns with this virus and owners should be flexible, even if someone was fearful of going into an area with active cases. I've stated before, this is my opinion.

The VRBO owners are not the only people refusing refunds, or at least a partial refund. Thankfully more and more companies, etc. are coming around and at least working with people.

I agree it's a rough spot with no winners. But at least more effort on the part of the owners would be appreciated and appropriate. Even a 50% refund helps both parties; renter gets some back, owner keeps some and doesn't get bad customer service reviews.
If the only true acceptable answer is give the refund or allow a reschedule IF that's even possible then it won't matter what the owner does though of course the owner should at least reply to the traveler and not ignore them. If the owner has the discussion with the traveler and they truly can't comply with the traveler's request because xyz that is putting forth effort but still leaves the traveler pissed off and easily able to leave a poor review and as another person posted to never use VRBO again (as is everyone's right of course).

And saying that the owner should have consideration but not saying anything about the traveler having that same consideration for the impact this all has on the owner is well ya know. Compassion goes for all sides.

I don't know what every owner's situation is so I don't have the confidence that saying giving a 50% refund helps both parties. I don't know how many bookings that property has where the travelers are asking/demanding refunds (full or partial). I don't know how long a property owner may be impacted by this and how much reserves they have left to pay for insurance on the property, taxes on the property, mortgage on the property, utilities on the property, etc. I don't know how many properties the owner may have and ones being impacted. All the while completely unsure on their end how the travel industry will even fare, which was impacted long before Disney or Universal opted to close.

I hope there are owners out there that can offer refunds or reschedule but I do know there are some that realistically may not be able to.

And the big world outside Disney or Uni wouldn't exist if it weren't for the development after the parks were built there. Once things start actively closing down there now that they have cases in Orange and Osceola counties, like they are here, there would be nothing to do other than sit in the VRBO room. There are so many unknowns with this virus and owners should be flexible, even if someone was fearful of going into an area with active cases. I've stated before, this is my opinion.
But what I'm saying is VRBO's policies and procedures during this time as I linked up don't just apply to Orlando. It's world wide.

In respects to Orlando not all owners even market to theme park visitors. It's a bit insulting IMO to insinuate that owners who use VRBO to market their property should somehow be beholden forever and ever so such and such.

If you can't abide by the terms of the contract - whatever the reason - then you shouldn't have booked the service. VRBO and the owner(s) only have to do what the terms of the contract say, nothing more. If they choose to do more then great but you are not ENTITLED to anything. Also, you can buy travel insurance that is called, "Cancel For Any Reason". Once again, if you want to be able to cancel for ANY reason then you should be buying the appropriate insurance - not complaining because it doesn't cover the particular incident that you want it cover. Yes, Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance is MORE expensive but that's because you're paying for the insurance company to cover the additional potential risk. The moral is: Hope for the best but plan for the worst. It really is that simple.

My April 2-6 people just canceled. I am working through Airbnb, and of course they got a full refund. It’s not my fault, but it’s not their fault either. My house is perfectly safe, and yet they couldn’t travel here at this time via air, or at least it wouldn’t be prudent.

I’m surprised that in this looming national crisis that we even are discussing this- sure, the owners are out that spring break $$$, but maybe it would have sat empty anyway since flying is so heavily discouraged right now. And who knows- maybe domestic flights will be slashed/halted as well. This is unprecedented and I can’t think of any reasonable excuse to not refund.

If you can't abide by the terms of the contract - whatever the reason - then you shouldn't have booked the service. VRBO and the owner(s) only have to do what the terms of the contract say, nothing more. If they choose to do more then great but you are not ENTITLED to anything. Also, you can buy travel insurance that is called, "Cancel For Any Reason". Once again, if you want to be able to cancel for ANY reason then you should be buying the appropriate insurance - not complaining because it doesn't cover the particular incident that you want it cover. Yes, Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance is MORE expensive but that's because you're paying for the insurance company to cover the additional potential risk. The moral is: Hope for the best but plan for the worst. It really is that simple.

The moral is, VRBO has demonstrated they have no morals. Even the freaking evil empire, Comcast is stepping up with free Internet for those affected...

The moral is, VRBO has demonstrated they have no morals. Even the freaking evil empire, Comcast is stepping up with free Internet for those affected...
What about the morals of the person who signs a contract and then wants to be exempted from the terms of the contract?

For clarity, I think the 2 parties should work together to try to find something that works for both. I just don't like to see people demonizing one side of this.

What about the morals of the person who signs a contract and then wants to be exempted from the terms of the contract?

For clarity, I think the 2 parties should work together to try to find something that works for both. I just don't like to see people demonizing one side of this.

Only one side is unwilling to budge, seems one sided to me. The circumstances are literally unprecedented. It is absurd to keep 100% of the money, for services not rendered in this case. That’s my opinion, but based on what I’m seeing, I’m in the majority on this one.

No worries,though, we are allowed to have different viewpoints.

Morally, I feel like the owner should try to compromise. Legally, however, the renter is still able to go and there is a signed contract. The services won't be rendered due to a change of heart/circumstance by the renter, not due to any failure on the part of the owner. The written contract is supposed to take the emotion/personalities out of the arrangement and define the parameters of the rental. It might be different if the government said that no one is allowed to travel, but that hasn't happened yet. Really hope they can work something out.

Only one side is unwilling to budge, seems one sided to me. The circumstances are literally unprecedented. It is absurd to keep 100% of the money, for services not rendered in this case. That’s my opinion, but based on what I’m seeing, I’m in the majority on this one.

No worries,though, we are allowed to have different viewpoints.
If the traveler isn't willing to take a no on getting any monies back they are unwilling to budge especially if they say they will go blasting the owner and or VRBO because they didn't get a refund.

That's why it seems one sided when the traveler or other people are expecting or saying the owners should give a refund (full or partial). The owner can relent but the traveler can too.

I think pretty much everyone thinks it would be nice to give the refund I think we can all agree on that (I know I do) but I don't think it's accurate to say only one side is unwilling to budge at least not without stating that the traveler too can accept it if they won't get a refund and be done with it. Expecting only 1 solution, that the owner gives a refund, is one sided you're totally right.

Unfortunate scenario for all parties here. The homeowner that was renting to you likely only has a single property so they probably can't even absorb a 2k loss but same goes for the person renting. No winners and unfortunately the renter is on the wrong side of the cancellation window.

Keep in mind there are non-refundable hotel room bookings as well. Not sure if a chain would waive that in a scenario like this but booking hotels doesn't necessarily give you protection.
Our Disney cruise was booked as non-refundable but they are still refunding because THEY cancelled on us. Who would have ever guessed it would come to this? (Well, except for the Chinese and Italians....)

Again, to me it's never worth it. A nice hotel room that's fully refundable up to check in is the best way to go. I know lots of people especially owners who sent condos would be opposed to my way of thinking
Please name a nice hotel chain that is fully refundable up to check in. I'm curious.

Our Disney cruise was booked as non-refundable but they are still refunding because THEY cancelled on us. Who would have ever guessed it would come to this? (Well, except for the Chinese and Italians....)
The VRBO hasn't cancelled on the renter. It is still available for check in.

Please name a nice hotel chain that is fully refundable up to check in. I'm curious.
Marriott is 48 hours before check in IIRC. Not quite to check in but pretty close.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post! Sorry :)

In times like this there is security knowing you book with Disney/Marriott/etc. They are more likely to go above and beyond regardless of what their policies are.

But you are quoting their everyday policy, not their current one. This discussion surrounds coronavirus cancellations for which they are refunding because they realize people are recommended to stay home.
I quoted their everyday policy because it's more relevant to future planing than the exception being made right now. You are correct though that they have modified the policy slightly (now 24 hours prior to check in) through April 30th.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriott-cancellation-policy-points-expiration-coronavirus/

Currently, for this? All of them. Name one that isn't?
Hilton, while they have loosend up for their different rates you book like the non-refundable rates, lists on their website 24 hour notice with no charge. If there is a government restriction they will give full refund or waive change fees regardless.

Marriott is 24hours as well. They also have this: " * Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences. Guests who booked via online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies."

The Wynn in Vegas, upped recently to a 5-star hotel, is 24hours notice for no charge.

I don't really feel the need to continue looking but suffice to say there are probably many chains that are up to check in time, but there are ones presently that aren't. Seems 24 hours notice is being quoted as a norm when it's not up to check in time.

Now maybe these aren't considered nice enough hotel chains IDK. I think for some it may not be not sure. I did look into Sandals and they just made a point to say they have zero cases on their properties and to come on down if you will. This was similar to when Zika was the big issue.

But you are quoting their everyday policy, not their current one. This discussion surrounds coronavirus cancellations for which they are refunding because they realize people are recommended to stay home.
All of my above statements are straight from their COVID-19 dedicated pages.

As always they could adjust these adjustments as time goes on. It's ever changing that's for sure.

Hilton, while they have loosend up for their different rates you book like the non-refundable rates, lists on their website 24 hour notice with no charge. If there is a government restriction they will give full refund or waive change fees regardless.

Marriott is 24hours as well. They also have this: " * Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences. Guests who booked via online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies."

The Wynn in Vegas, upped recently to a 5-star hotel, is 24hours notice for no charge.

I don't really feel the need to continue looking but suffice to say there are probably many chains that are up to check in time, but there are ones presently that aren't. Seems 24 hours notice is being quoted as a norm when it's not up to check in time.

Now maybe these aren't considered nice enough hotel chains IDK. I think for some it may not be not sure. I did look into Sandals and they just made a point to say they have zero cases on their properties and to come on down if you will. This was similar to when Zika was the big issue.

All of my above statements are straight from their COVID-19 dedicated pages.

As always they could adjust these adjustments as time goes on. It's ever changing that's for sure.
I have yet to hear of a single person who hasn't been able to cancel with these chains and receive a full or close to full refund.

Which again is the point. They are waiving their policies because they do good business. But I guess they still offer better cancellation anyway. If you have to pay one day, it's not the equivalent of paying an entire full paid week or two that you would with vrbo.

But I digress. I never book vrbo anyway. And now I 100% never will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter