Outside access

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
Are SSR and OKW the only 2 DVC properties at WDW that you can access studio rooms from the outside?

I'm not a big fan of the inside corridor while at WDW, though it is not a deal breaker. I'm just going crazy trying to choose a home resort and getting tired of all the research!

Thanks for the help!

The only other ones that I can think of are the Polynesian Bungalows or Copper Creek Cabins. Those are too rich for my blood. The SSR THV's are also exterior access and are priced reasonable. We love them. You might want to select SSR just for the 11 month window on those.

For what it's worth, Hilton Head is also exterior entry. Another of our favorites.....

Yes, they are the only ones at WDW. If you share what your likes and dislikes are, I'm sure that we can help you decide where to buy.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you, Bill.

We want 2 studios per trip. I think we'd enjoy staying the most at OKW, SSR (I guess we are mod lovers - specifically POR - and these seem to have a similar appeal) and BWV or BCV because of access to Epcot / HS. Since we rarely swim, appreciate the potential for lower point requirements, and like the idea of being able to fit 5 in a room in an "emergency", and probably wouldn't get 2 studios easily at BC, Boardwalk is the winner for us here. Common sense is telling me to buy somewhere other than OKW and SSR because they are relatively easy to get into at 7 months. So, Boardwalk seems the obvious choice but I really didn't want a 2042 end date.

So, we find AKL appealing - my kids have no interest.
Copper Creek - Find very appealing and typically spend some time at WL on our trips. However, requires a larger buy in than I'm considering right now. Also, I read years ago about bats inside the WL and I have a HUGE phobia. I can visit, but I don't know if I could sleep there. Can't get past it. Yes, I realize I need help. lol
BLT - appealing because of monorail but I'm not sure it's our "style". We like gardens, trees...lush landscaping. I think I'd have to try this one out.
VGF - out of budget and hard to get anyway
Poly - tempting and a seemingly obvious choice because it's almost all studios, but I worry about future point reallocation and if no one's booking those bungalows......

So, I guess when I write it out it's simple. I will likely choose between OKW with the cheaper buy in and extended contract or BWV. Tempted to do OKW and wait and see if Riviera turns out to be a good option to get us the Epcot area resort as an add on later, but it will just force me to buy more points than I 'need'. I just know we will want the Epcot area at least sometimes. Ugh. Yeah, I think it's down to these 2.

Just remember that you must have an adult (18 +) in each unit. You can not put the kids in 1 studio without an adult. You will have better luck getting 2 units close at SSR over OKW.

Seems like you need to decide how important the resort/room theming and location are. For us it's very important, as important as the parks since we now spend more time taking it easy and enjoying the resort. The parks are great but after a few years, the novelty wore off and the crowds grew tiresome. We love to watch people more than ride the attractions. Here is a list that I posted on another thread.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC due to increased number of vacations and length.

Our current favorite resorts are VGF, VWL, and BWV. All have great theming and are great stays, VGF and VWL for MK vacations and BWV for Epcot/DHS/AK vacations. We also own at BLT, AKV, and BCV but don't really stay there.

So SSR would be a nice choice for lower buy in and easier to book two studios with the large inventory. Now those two studios may not be close together. There is no guarantee. It does have a longer contract life as well and I think some of the cheaper annual dues.

Poly would be another great option as they have a ton of studio and here you can request connecting. Cannot get that at any other DVCs. Likely, if you don't get connecting, to be close together. And while they are not outside entry, like SSR, they are close in that it is smaller buildings with just, what is it?, three floors. But you have to park far away like BWV....

BWV. We own. We have two standard view studios booked for Oct. We lucked out as standard view studios are tough to book. Even snagging one is lucky. But when you can get them, they are nice point savers. The end date does stink. And, as I mentioned, parking is not close to your room especially with the long long hallways. But location is the best. You can walk to two parks.

OKW...we also own and I wish we didn't. We use them for everywhere else at seven month window. When we can. They were cheap to buy and we have been able to use them at all the other WDW resorts...plus VB and HH. Except VGF...yet. But if I were to decide, today, between buying SSR or OKW...I'd go with SSR. Longer life and can walk to DS.

Just remember that you must have an adult (18 +) in each unit. You can not put the kids in 1 studio without an adult. You will have better luck getting 2 units close at SSR over OKW.

One is already over 18, so no worries there. Thank you!

Seems like you need to decide how important the resort/room theming and location are. For us it's very important, as important as the parks since we now spend more time taking it easy and enjoying the resort. The parks are great but after a few years, the novelty wore off and the crowds grew tiresome. We love to watch people more than ride the attractions. Here is a list that I posted on another thread.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC due to increased number of vacations and length.

Our current favorite resorts are VGF, VWL, and BWV. All have great theming and are great stays, VGF and VWL for MK vacations and BWV for Epcot/DHS/AK vacations. We also own at BLT, AKV, and BCV but don't really stay there.

Great things to consider! Thanks!

So SSR would be a nice choice for lower buy in and easier to book two studios with the large inventory. Now those two studios may not be close together. There is no guarantee. It does have a longer contract life as well and I think some of the cheaper annual dues.

Poly would be another great option as they have a ton of studio and here you can request connecting. Cannot get that at any other DVCs. Likely, if you don't get connecting, to be close together. And while they are not outside entry, like SSR, they are close in that it is smaller buildings with just, what is it?, three floors. But you have to park far away like BWV....

BWV. We own. We have two standard view studios booked for Oct. We lucked out as standard view studios are tough to book. Even snagging one is lucky. But when you can get them, they are nice point savers. The end date does stink. And, as I mentioned, parking is not close to your room especially with the long long hallways. But location is the best. You can walk to two parks.

OKW...we also own and I wish we didn't. We use them for everywhere else at seven month window. When we can. They were cheap to buy and we have been able to use them at all the other WDW resorts...plus VB and HH. Except VGF...yet. But if I were to decide, today, between buying SSR or OKW...I'd go with SSR. Longer life and can walk to DS.

The only reason why I wasn't really considering SSR was because I felt like I really wouldn't need the 11 month booking window. So, it's nice to know if we can't get 2 studios at our home resort, we have someplace to go that we'd like.

I have no concerns whatsoever about studios being near each other. I am worried about availability of 2 studios at BWV. If I pay more for BWV, get a shorter contract length and then never get to stay there, I would be pretty bummed!

I would be buying OKW direct and getting the 2057 end date. Would you mind sharing what you dislike about owning there so much?

We just love OKW, it's been our home since 1993. Extra large units, lower points cost, very quiet and relaxing after the craziness and crowds of the parks. Can park right in front of your unit. 4 pools, 5 bus stops if you don't want to drive, so never a long walk to get to/from the bus.

One is already over 18, so no worries there. Thank you!

Great things to consider! Thanks!

The only reason why I wasn't really considering SSR was because I felt like I really wouldn't need the 11 month booking window. So, it's nice to know if we can't get 2 studios at our home resort, we have someplace to go that we'd like.

I have no concerns whatsoever about studios being near each other. I am worried about availability of 2 studios at BWV. If I pay more for BWV, get a shorter contract length and then never get to stay there, I would be pretty bummed!

I would be buying OKW direct and getting the 2057 end date. Would you mind sharing what you dislike about owning there so much?
You won't have trouble getting two studios at BWV as an owner booking in the 11 month window. But you may get one standard view and one pool/garden view or two pool/garden views. I would love a longer expiration date there but we will be 69 in 2042 so I am not sure we will need much longer than that and if we do we can just buy a newer resort.

OKW....is our least fave because it is not walking distance to anything. AKV is same but has fabulous theme and animals so it is a gorgeous place and several great dining options. OKW is like being at Granny's FL condo. SSR is also at bottom for us. There you can walk to DS but taking a bus to parks has been a nightmare for us at SSR (also was at AkV on last trip). OKW has boat to DS which isn't as convenient as walking and it shuts down early. But busing to parks from OKW is pretty great if you stay in the HH section which is easier to do when an owner (HH section hooks up first). You can get on bus at HH and go right to parks and when coming home you can get off at first stop at Peninsular which is next to HH. OKW is a point saver and has large well laid out villas. But, for us, we prefer walking to things over larger rooms or parking at your door or even saving points...though BWV can be a point saver and that's why we added on there (we added the first half via direct and could have gotten BCV for same price but we went with BWV for option of booking standard view to save points).

In the end it depends on what you like and what you are looking for. All resorts have pluses and minuses.

OKW is a wonderful resort, older, condo style, seems to have higher humidity, more noise from other units, more bugs, bus noise, no elevator for most units, mature grounds, isolated, boat to DS, golf course views and some water views.

BWV is a hotel style, has long hallways, standard rooms view the front driveway, boardwalk attractions and restaurants, YC and BC restaurants and shopping, great lake view, walking to Epcot and DHS or boat to same, S&D restaurants and car rental, dedicated bus to MK.

Also, I read years ago about bats inside the WL and I have a HUGE phobia. I can visit, but I don't know if I could sleep there. Can't get past it. Yes, I realize I need help. lol

Fwiw I have never heard that. And I'm here on the boards reading everything interesting...often.

I would be buying OKW direct and getting the 2057 end date.

You would buy okw direct?

We love okw but we almost always have a car. Though in December we walked to HH area often from Turtle Pond and it wasn't a chore.

If you book two studios at OKW, they will probably not be close to each other, maybe one over the other. Studios are usually at the ends of the buildings with a few buildings having studios at the bends in the building.

Fwiw I have never heard that. And I'm here on the boards reading everything interesting...often.

You would buy okw direct?

We love okw but we almost always have a car. Though in December we walked to HH area often from Turtle Pond and it wasn't a chore.

Resale for small contracts is priced sky high right now and only getting worse. I'm willing to buy direct wherever I finally decide is choice #1. I mean, I've been looking at resale and I'm being super flexible with home resort choices, 3 month range on UY, but won't go more than 50 points because I'd still need to add on 25 direct and I really don't "need" more than 60 points. Hardly anything ever comes available and the last ones I could have gotten were SSR for $113 / point and BRV for $115 / point and they were snagged up same day within hours at full price. Those resorts weren't highest on my wish list and I didn't feel like the $ savings was much at all once closing costs, mf's, 2% Chase Disney rewards, etc are factored in. There were a lot of BLT small contracts available for awhile, but the UY was very wrong for me and while it may have been a decent price for BLT, in the end it would have cost more after closing costs than buying direct for BWV or OKW.

In the end it depends on what you like and what you are looking for. All resorts have pluses and minuses.

OKW is a wonderful resort, older, condo style, seems to have higher humidity, more noise from other units, more bugs, bus noise, no elevator for most units, mature grounds, isolated, boat to DS, golf course views and some water views.

BWV is a hotel style, has long hallways, standard rooms view the front driveway, boardwalk attractions and restaurants, YC and BC restaurants and shopping, great lake view, walking to Epcot and DHS or boat to same, S&D restaurants and car rental, dedicated bus to MK.

Yeah, honestly, I think I'm going to want to stay at both on alternating years. I think I'm just struggling with paying more $ and getting the shorter contract at BWV knowing that I'll be using the points at OKW some years. Some trips we want to be on the go and close to the action, some we want to take long walks around our resort and eat in a nice restaurant without rushing.....

But I think that will be the only way. OKW points aren't going to get me BWV stays very easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter