Overall Thoughts on Universal Studios Hollywood

Pacolovestacos

DIS Veteran
What are your overall thoughts on Universal Hollywood? In June, I will have 5 days in the LA/Anaheim area. As of right now, the plan is 3 nights in LA with 1 day being devoted to Hollywood. Then head over to Anaheim for 2 nights to see Disney.

But as I'm looking at the lineup of rides at Universal, it seems like almost all of them are 3D/screen attractions rather than actual rides like I remember at Universal Orlando. Granted the last time I stepped foot at Universal Orlando was probably about 18 years ago so certainly things have changed. I was devastated to learn that Universal Hollywood doesn't have the E.T. ride like Universal Orlando as that was an awesome ride when I was a kid.

We've done Orlando 4 times and just did Hollywood for the first time in February. My kids loved the Harry Potter stuff (same as Orlando though), the movie tour since it's unique, but the rest was pretty mundane. To us it was one of those do-once things, Orlando is just so much better!

We've done Orlando 4 times and just did Hollywood for the first time in February. My kids loved the Harry Potter stuff (same as Orlando though), the movie tour since it's unique, but the rest was pretty mundane. To us it was one of those do-once things, Orlando is just so much better!

Thanks. As I was looking at the ride lineup, I was thinking along the same lines. The Mummy, Shrek, and HP would be the highlights. Seems like the rest I could live without. Given the high price on Universal single day tickets, I'll have to think it over.

First off its a real nasty drive from Disneyland to Universal but I guess you are already there. Harry Potter land is really good and the ride is amazing. But you are right, most of the rides are the 3D screen thing. Maybe the difference between Florida and Hollywood is Hollywood actually has real movie sets

we booked the VIP tour which allows you behind scenes studio tour etc. that gets awesome reviews. I have been to the Orlando Universal parks many times but never been to the Cali Universal Park. Reviews were excellent and we wanted to experience it. We booked for July .

We didn't pay for our Universal Hollywood tickets (used points) thank goodness and I wouldn't go again. We had 3 days at Disneyland and could have used more time (we have a relaxed touring style though and like to go back to favourites). So maybe add more time there?

Thanks. As I was looking at the ride lineup, I was thinking along the same lines. The Mummy, Shrek, and HP would be the highlights. Seems like the rest I could live without. Given the high price on Universal single day tickets, I'll have to think it over.

Shrek isn't a ride, just a show with vibrating seats and some water effects. If a main highlight would be the tour, you could easily do a half day or less on the WB tour and still do something else like Hollywood or hiking.

Shrek isn't a ride, just a show with vibrating seats and some water effects. If a main highlight would be the tour, you could easily do a half day or less on the WB tour and still do something else like Hollywood or hiking.

Yup doing Hollywood sign hike in the morning and a WB studios tour in the afternoon. Was mainly thinking Universal for the rides but I'm just getting the same type of enthusiasm that I use to have for Universal Orlando.

We have a similar trip planned as you (but 4 days in LA, and 4 park days). It's our first trip but we are definitely planning on spending one day at Universal (but we haven't been to the Orlando one). Other things planned are Warner Brother's Tour, Santa Monica Pier, a tour that covers a lot of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Griffith Observatory. And may also hit La Brae Tar Pits and/or Children's museum. Lots to do and see. Let us know what you decide.

I'm leaning towards skipping Universal and doing a 3rd day at Disney, so 2.5 days in LA and 3 days in Disney.

1 day tickets for Universal are crazy expensive and since the ride lineup isn't really exciting me that much, I think the 3rd day at DL (I've never been), is the best option here.

We skipped USH last October. I went back and forth about going but the attraction line up is almost exactly the same as USO with a few exceptions (TWD, studio tour, etc). I couldn't justify spending an extra $400 for a day there. We did 3 days at DL/DCA, took a day and went to Newport Beach in the morning, trekked to Burbank for lunch at Bob's Big Boy then did the WB Studio Tour in the late afternoon. I was hoping doing the late tour would save us the traffic back to Anaheim but no such luck. We left WB around 6-ish and it took close to 3 hours to get back to Anaheim. Loved CA but HATED the traffic.

Honestly if I were you I would skip it at that price. We are AP holders as my boys love Harry Potter (and the passes are dirt cheap for us - $100 with minimal blackout dates) and we only go for a few hours at at time and then usually do a Hollywood hills hike (my favorite) or brewery stop on the way home. The rides are pretty much the same as in Orlando except for the Studio Tour, which is cool but probably not worth it unless you're really into that stuff.

ex ex
Honestly if I were you I would skip it at that price. We are AP holders as my boys love Harry Potter (and the passes are dirt cheap for us - $100 with minimal blackout dates) and we only go for a few hours at at time and then usually do a Hollywood hills hike (my favorite) or brewery stop on the way home. The rides are pretty much the same as in Orlando except for the Studio Tour, which is cool but probably not worth it unless you're really into that stuff.

Do you have a guide for the Hollywood Hills hike? Any good shots of the Hollywood sign there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!