Overnight campsite near Tuscaloosa?

WeLovePluto

Mouseketeer
(Cough, Ed, cough)

we’re heading to talladega for the race on Oct 4th.

new policy is that we need to arrive on Friday the 2nd at 8am. Which would have us leaving at 2am. And I can’t drive all night like that.

so, our hope is to tow to Tuscaloosa on the 1st and tow from there.

recognizing that there’s a Bama home game, is there a good campground off the interstate with pull through spots that you’d recommend we try?

we found one in Meridian on our way home from the last race, but would like to get closer than that. would probably go closer to Birmingham if nothing available around Tuscaloosa

Recreation.gov
Deerlick Creek campground.
about 30 minutes off interstate.

www.alapark.com
Lake Lurleen SP
20 minutes off interstate via toll bridge

Based on your early departure requirement for 10/2, I would recommend Lake Lurleen. Deerlick locks the gate at night and doesn't open till 7am IIRC.

On a Thursday night before a Bama home game, you should be okay. Given the 20% fan limitation, LLSP shows availability for the night of 10/1. Pay attention to the length of the sight you are considering. Some sights are not very deep. The ones past the beach area are usually long enough.

I'd offer my driveway but you would find the turn-around in my cul-de-sac too much of a challenge.

Bama Ed

PS-pm me your plans if you do LLSP and I'll bring the KFC and sides with drinks.

PPS-If it were a regular game week (full attendance), you would have no chance at LLSP.

There are some game-day focused locations around. This one is the closest to us but its more in-town. But it may not matter given when you arrive and would have to depart:

http://www.coachescornerrvpark.com/

Don't know what you are towing but big rigs go in/out of there on gamedays. They might do a one-night stay since only 20% attendance you're coming in on a Thursday. Don't know their rates. KFC offer still stands.

Let's take any further discussion PM.

Ed

So I did get to catch up this evening with WeLovePluto and his DW/friends. And I did in fact bring the KFC but was about 30 min late due to online ordering snafu's in KFC's system (not ready for prime time :sad2: ). He was towing the camper to Talladega Super Speedway (about 100 miles on from where I am) for the NASCAR race this Sunday. The MM magnet made it onto his trailer's fridge before I left.

We talked Fort Wilderness, college football, racing, family/kids, and the current WDW situation. There's a possibility that they might arrive at the end of our Fort February trip before we leave (possibly). And we both have a Preferred site reserved and like 100 loop so who knows? :confused3

They're very nice people and dedicated Tulane Green Wave fans.

The weather should be very pleasant for camping at the Speedway this weekend (sunny, highs in the 70s and lows in the high 40s) so at least we didn't have to eat our chicken in the rain.

Drive safely, Pluto, have a great time, and I hope to see you again in February at the Fort. :wave:

Bama Ed

It was great to meet you. And thanks for the chicken! KFC may want to sort out their ordering system before football season starts here on Saturday.

We’re looking forward to a weekend of beautiful weather and camping. And have enough firewood for when it gets cool.

y’all have a great rendezvous at the fort.

(it turns out the fridge isn’t magnetic. So MM is hanging over the stove.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter