Packing food and water in suitcase, anyone do it?

Ted and Holly

This login is used by Ted only, please refer to Ju
Has anyone packed snacks and bottled water in their checked luggage while flying to WDW???

Just wondering if the water would make it safely, or freeze, or spill, or whatever?

Do any of you have experience with this??

Holly

Check the budget board for a thread on thsi! Lots of peopel there saying the travel with food etc..... I perosnally plan to swing into walmart or publix myself the day we arrive since it will eb a non park day anyhow.

I packed a bottle of Kahlua that had the bottom fall off due to the air pressure. Thank god it was in a ziploc bag and didn't wreck much. All we had to do was wash a suitcase full of clothes. Staying at BWV was a help.

Unless you follow a restricted diet which makes finding specialty foods difficult, why bother?
You can save the suitcase space (and Weight) by buying water & snacks at
Walmart, Publix or Goodings.

It's kind of a long story. We only have the rental car for the ride from Tampa to WDW. We don't want to stop at a grocery store and leave all of our belongings in a rental car in a strange place. We will have clothes, three very expensive cameras, a laptop and two cell phones. Its too risky. We are going to dump our stuff at AKL and head to the parks until our room is ready. BUt, our rental car needs to be back for 4:30pm when the place closes.

We are bringing an extra suitcase for the things we buy anyway, I just figured why not fill it with food. Also, we are picky about water and our Poland Spring just can't be beat. We have some small bottles, and it would be easier for us just to pack it.

Holly

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

I packed water that went from Virginia to LA to Mexico and
it was fine no problems. I also packed water when we took our cruise and no problems.
Had lots of good water to drink when I wanted it.

Thanks. We are going to do it. I already packed 3 bottles per gallon size ziplock bag. I put 15 bottles l in our small suitcase. Its heavy! I think they'll be okay!!
If water can fly to Mexico, it can fly to WDW!!

Holly

I always pack water and food. I have two teens who have the munchies all the time. Each of us always carries a bottle of water on the plane in our carryon, too. Three times we have been stuck on the runway with nothing to drink but what we had brought with.

I actually like idea of paing food case here so i have an extra case for souvineers great idea! Glad to hear people have had success int ransporting water and stuff! Wasnt sure with airline restrictions how much food stuff was allowed to be checked now.

My husband and I shipped 24 bottles of water, snacks, and a folding cooler in a cardboard box!!! We shipped it from Seattle, to Chicago, to Orlando! It lasted the entire trip up until near the end of Seattle where one side had been slightly crushed. The water never froze, and one the way home we packed all of our "goodies" we bought back into the box to ship home. I also put in Tide, Bounce, and stain stick in there, and did our laundry the night before we flew home. That way when we got home the clothes went back into the drawers, and it forced us to enjoy our last evening at the resort. It was one of our favorite nights there!

Kelly

In Oct. I filled up one of my daughter's carry on luggage full with snack.
Fruit snacks, candy bars, chips and blue berry muffins. It worked out good
because we had a two hour flight with nothing but pretzels.

We, too, packed a separate 28" wheeled bag full of food and water. We came from Iowa to Orlando and everything arrived safe and sound. I went to Sam's Club before we left and bought a box of Rice Krispie bars, pop tarts, nutri grain assorted fruit bars, fruit snacks, ritz cheez n crackers box, also we bought a bunch of instant flavored mashed potatoes, instant soups, and ramen noodles. My age 13 DD ate pop tarts or mashed potatoes for breakfast and everyone had the soups and noodles at night. We took the rest into the parks to save on buying extra food. We also brought a box of Tide laundry blocks and dryer sheets, along with a stain stick. We ate almost all the food and the rest we put into our carry on bags for trip home. They came in handy as we had a 3 1/2 hour flight with only bev and pretzels. We also brought a small jar of peanut butter and jelly and bought bread, milk and juice locally. We used the suitcase for all our souviniers on return trip home so it worked out perfectly.

HI EVERYONE
THIS PAST OCTOBER IT WAS JUST MYSELF, DD 11 AND DS 8. WE USED MY DAUGHTERS CARRYON PIECE AS THE "SNACK BAG". WE HAD A 6PK OF JR. SIZE WATER, PUDDING CUPS, A PKG OF REESES PEANUT BUTTER CUPS, WHEAT THINS, TRISCUITS, EASY CHEESE AND A ZIPLOC BAG FULL OF CHEERIOS. MY KIDS ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT BEFORE BED SO THE CEREAL AND CRACKERS WERE A MUST. IF WE WOULD HAVE BEEN DELAYED AT THE AIRPORT(WE WERE NOT) AT LEAST WE HAD SOMETHING TO EAT. I ALSO HAD A MAGAZINE FOR EACH ONE OF US TO LOOK AT AND READ. OF COURSE WE ATE ALL THE SNACKS AND FILLED THE CARRYON WITH SOUVENIRS ON THE WAY HOME!

Just had to share our story - from our trip last January.

Our family likes to snack on bananas, and developed (we thought) the most clever way to carry them! We have a wide-mouth water cooler, and we stashed them inside. Brilliant, right? Well, we forgot that we were traveling in January, and that the luggage hold on the plane isn't heated, and we flew from snowy Kentucky... When we arrived at our resort and opened our bottle, we had the nastiest, most shriveled, black bananas you've ever seen!

Take care!
Jo

Packed water,snacks in suite case for flight down last Aug, Found out bag weighed allmost 70 pounds. I was told anything over 70 pounds had to pay a penalty?? We will take more suite cases next trip to spread out the weight.....CBR99,Allstarmovies Feb2001,Allstar Music Aug2001........

Disnee Dad Says.................................................... We always pack a lot of light wieght dry food, and use the space back for souveniers. I'm confused about packing water, because it is very heavy. Most airlines charge a penalty for over weight bags. At Publix you can get a case of water for about $8.00. I'd bring a bottle or two on the plane. and we do, but I wouldn't pack it in checked luggage. On our last trip we packed a small cooler full of dry foods, and snacks, that cost us maybe $20 and probably saved us $40-60. If I used that space for water it would cost us $8.00, and save nothing.

REmember the airlines have a weight limit on suitcase, it is 70 lbs. for Delta, not sure if the water will
make the bags weigh that much however...

carry on limit on this airline is 40 lbs. and my carryon weighs 25 lbs. w/o water.

Since you don't want to leave your rental car unattended, why don't you stop at the store and have one person wait in the car and the other go in and buy water? I wouldn't pack liquids in my suitcase, as anything can happen. I don't think it's worth it in case something happened. Just a suggestion.
Have a good trip!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but we have been home for a week now. :)

We ended up packing 15, 20 ounce bottles plus some breakfast bars, and other snacks in a separate suitcase. Every three bottles were packed in a one gallon ziplock bag.

We had no troubles and happliy drank our Poland Spring water all week.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter