Packing light with kids to the park

Tink_83

DIS Veteran
So I’m an over-packer when I have my kids. I tend to pack more than is needed and while I’ve slowly moved to packing less I’m concerned that with the addition of the 18 month old on this trip I could over pack again. So, for all those who pack light even with kids what do you do? What do you pack? What have you packed and realized it’s not needed? I clearly have a list that I’m culling at this moment but I’d like to hear from others. Anyone managed to go bagless with an 18 month old for a full day in the park (I’m guessing no unless the kid was already fully potty trained but figured I’d throw that out there :) Anyway as I get closer to the trip I figured I’d start to pull a packing list together for my bag I’ll post that as well - if you see something you think is superfluous let me know and I’ll consider culling it! TIA

Diapers (6 - for an 18 month - too many?)
Wipes
Diaper rash cream
One spare set of clothes for the youngest
3 little baggies of snacks for the youngest
Sippy cup
A toy for the youngest attached to the stroller
Milk (4 - horizon homogenized so does not need to be refrigerated)
Apple juice (3 again for the little one)
2 water bottles one for me one for DD
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)
Sunscreen - full bottle we are fair skinned and use it
Small wallet with ID, credit cards, insurance card
Magic bands
Sunglasses
Sun hat
Bandaids
Neosporin packet
pain killers in a travel size bottle
Children’s Advil (now one for each as they have different types)
Autograph supplies (book and pen - in the past this has been far to complex and is one thing I’m cutting back on)
Charging brick for the phone
Ponchos
Stroller rain cover
Lipstick
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)

Things I’m not bringing:
Night glow necklaces- i remember them about half the time
Princess dress - ya I enjoy the photos but DD is 6 so I don’t think it’s as necessary as meet and greets are not as important anymore for her
Camera - my phone is now almost as good and always on hand
Drinks for me - sure I saved money but it’s a pain brining that in and keeping them cold

Wow that is quite a list - I know. Help me out - is this at normal proportions? For a family with kids in our age bracket (18 month and 6). TIA

When you type it all out like that it sounds like a lot, but many of those items are quite small, such as the powder, lipstick, bandaids, etc. and others you will use up as you make your way through the day...snacks, drinks, diapers.

So I don't think it's all that bad, really. Kids need stuff, and the smaller they are the more they seem to need. There's not much we can do about it. :) The good news is that when you're pushing the stroller around you can just stick the bag on or in the stroller, right? :)

So I’m an over-packer when I have my kids. I tend to pack more than is needed and while I’ve slowly moved to packing less I’m concerned that with the addition of the 18 month old on this trip I could over pack again. So, for all those who pack light even with kids what do you do? What do you pack? What have you packed and realized it’s not needed? I clearly have a list that I’m culling at this moment but I’d like to hear from others. Anyone managed to go bagless with an 18 month old for a full day in the park (I’m guessing no unless the kid was already fully potty trained but figured I’d throw that out there :) Anyway as I get closer to the trip I figured I’d start to pull a packing list together for my bag I’ll post that as well - if you see something you think is superfluous let me know and I’ll consider culling it! TIA

Diapers (6 - for an 18 month - too many?)
Wipes
Diaper rash cream
One spare set of clothes for the youngest
3 little baggies of snacks for the youngest
Sippy cup
A toy for the youngest attached to the stroller
2 water bottles one for me one for DD
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)
Sunscreen - full bottle we are fair skinned and use it
Small wallet with ID, credit cards, insurance card
Magic bands
Sunglasses
Sun hat
Bandaids
Neosporin packet
Autograph supplies (book and pen - in the past this has been far to complex and is one thing I’m cutting back on)
Ponchos
Stroller rain cover
Lipstick
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)

Things I’m not bringing:
Night glow necklaces- i remember them about half the time
Princess dress - ya I enjoy the photos but DD is 6 so I don’t think it’s as necessary as meet and greets are not as important anymore for her
Camera - my phone is now almost as good and always on hand
Drinks for me - sure I saved money but it’s a pain brining that in and keeping them cold

Wow that is quite a list - I know. Help me out - is this at normal proportions? For a family with kids in our age bracket (18 month and 6). TIA
with the milk make sure your 18 month old will drink that brand before you leave home. we did this years and years ago and daughter refused it as it did not taste right. it was late at night and everything was closed made for a rough night I would add one more thing to your list at least a change of shirt for older kid. melted ice cream or a spill at lunch and if you don't have one you are looking at Disney prices or pictures with messy shirt and upset child. dont ask how I know this one. plus if you get one kid a new shirt guess what younger one is going to want

I think the list sounds fine. I would pack it into separate little bags:
Snacks/drinks in one gallon
Diapers/wipes/cream in another
Changes of clothes in another
First aid/other small items in another.

THAT way, you won’t have to dig around when looking for something. That’s what I did when traveling with a 2.5 year old. I also had her lovee and binky in with the extra clothes for those late nights or when she needed a nap.

I would drop this stuff, as someone who quit carrying a diaper bag and being prepared for Armageddon every time I left the house. Here is what I'd drop:

4 diapers
Diaper rash cream (unless active rash going on)
Sippy cup (unless he can't drink from a cup)
Milk (4 - horizon homogenized so does not need to be refrigerated)- drink water, hot milk is gross, especially horizon shelf stable
Apple juice (3 again for the little one)- buy juice/ milk when you eat, or drink water
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)- how do you wear with a sun hat?
Bandaids- I mean these are small, so..
Neosporin packet
pain killers in a travel size bottle- adult? Ok
Children’s Advil (now one for each as they have different types)- if child needs Advil, it's time to call it a day in your hotel film
Lipstick-spf?
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)- use a tinted sunscreen for face

Ok, so personally here’s all the things on your list that I would skip:

Diaper rash cream
Bandaids
Neosporin packet
Lipstick
Powder

I only bring water for my kids. At meals out they can have juice or milk if they want but I wouldn’t bother to pack that. And what’s the likelihood of needing diaper cream? My kids only ever needed that once in a blue moon. I’ve been on many vacations with my kid and for us the likelihood of needing advil or first aid supplies while we’re out and about is minuscule.

I can’t be bothered with autographs or makeup on vacation. Plus I reapply lots of sunscreen and makeup would get in the way.

When you type it all out like that it sounds like a lot, but many of those items are quite small, such as the powder, lipstick, bandaids, etc. and others you will use up as you make your way through the day...snacks, drinks, diapers.

So I don't think it's all that bad, really. Kids need stuff, and the smaller they are the more they seem to need. There's not much we can do about it. :) The good news is that when you're pushing the stroller around you can just stick the bag on or in the stroller, right? :)

Yes it does go in the stroller, so that is at least a plus :)

with the milk make sure your 18 month old will drink that brand before you leave home. we did this years and years ago and daughter refused it as it did not taste right. it was late at night and everything was closed made for a rough night I would add one more thing to your list at least a change of shirt for older kid. melted ice cream or a spill at lunch and if you don't have one you are looking at Disney prices or pictures with messy shirt and upset child. dont ask how I know this one. plus if you get one kid a new shirt guess what younger one is going to want

We use the milk for trips into the city, when we go to see my parents and my husbands parents, etc. but good point - with my youngest I tried a brand of toddler formula and that did not turn out very well... and good point about the shirt for the oldest - she would be upset going around in a top that was ruined all day.

One item I always vary but forgot to add are a couple of shout wipes. They are always in whatever bag I have. But that would only help so much for such a huge mess!

We use the milk for trips into the city, when we go to see my parents and my husbands parents, etc. but good point - with my youngest I tried a brand of toddler formula and that did not turn out very well... and good point about the shirt for the oldest - she would be upset going around in a top that was ruined all day.

One item I always vary but forgot to add are a couple of shout wipes. They are always in whatever bag I have. But that would only help so much for such a huge mess!
with a change of shirt/outfit you could rinse the messy one in a bathroom sink then put in plastic/ziplock bag. I guess you can tell been there and done that with the messy shirt with a 5 year old and of course younger brother had to have a shirt also. last time I did that even with older kids I carry a change of shirt for most of them cheaper than buying a new one for everyone or running back to the room or put up with upset child for rest of day. and I am on grandkids now

Ok, so personally here’s all the things on your list that I would skip:

Diaper rash cream
Bandaids
Neosporin packet
Lipstick
Powder

I only bring water for my kids. At meals out they can have juice or milk if they want but I wouldn’t bother to pack that. And what’s the likelihood of needing diaper cream? My kids only ever needed that once in a blue moon. I’ve been on many vacations with my kid and for us the likelihood of needing advil or first aid supplies while we’re out and about is minuscule.

I can’t be bothered with autographs or makeup on vacation. Plus I reapply lots of sunscreen and makeup would get in the way.

Good points - I have used bandaids in the park - Tom sawyers island and a fall... but I see your point about the kids Advil - if they are sick I’m just going to leave anyway and can medicate in the hotel room... I’ll look at dropping those items mentioned though or maybe scaling back (like one apple juice and 2 milks and buying more if needed - the apple juice gets mixed with water so right there I was probably over packing!)

I would drop this stuff, as someone who quit carrying a diaper bag and being prepared for Armageddon every time I left the house. Here is what I'd drop:

4 diapers
Diaper rash cream (unless active rash going on)
Sippy cup (unless he can't drink from a cup)
Milk (4 - horizon homogenized so does not need to be refrigerated)- drink water, hot milk is gross, especially horizon shelf stable
Apple juice (3 again for the little one)- buy juice/ milk when you eat, or drink water
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)- how do you wear with a sun hat?
Bandaids- I mean these are small, so..
Neosporin packet
pain killers in a travel size bottle- adult? Ok
Children’s Advil (now one for each as they have different types)- if child needs Advil, it's time to call it a day in your hotel film
Lipstick-spf?
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)- use a tinted sunscreen for face

So the Mickey ears are new - I’m making them and excited to wear them but for like the morning and night, middle of the day I need the sun protection. The ears will probably find a home in the stroller for the majority of the trip and will be a one and done project... but yes - those are unnecessary

Agreed on the kids meds- if they are sick we leave so I’ll be heading back to the hotel room

Funny you mention the warm milk - my DD grew to love warm milk because of how we travel with it to the point that we have to warm milk for her to this day, and she is 6... I know that’s not for everyone but it happens to work for my kids oddly enough. The milk will also stay in the “cooler bag” we have for the city mini. It’s one of those that goes along the bottom and takes up no space. It doesn’t keep anything cold though hence putting that in quotes.

Anyway all good points and I’m certainly culling items - I’ll drop the apple juice, reduce the diapers and milk supply, drop the kids meds, and diaper rash cream unless he has an active rash :)

Another thing to mention about the bandaids, Advil type things is that first aid in all if the parks is more than happy to provide you with all of these things and many extras(in the case of Advil) should you need them at no charge. Not always the most convenient I realize, but that is an option.

Another thing to mention about the bandaids, Advil type things is that first aid in all if the parks is more than happy to provide you with all of these things and many extras(in the case of Advil) should you need them at no charge. Not always the most convenient I realize, but that is an option.

Good points. They are tiny but I do force myself to a minimum 1 per kid (2) any more then that and I need the first aid station. And really I could drop the Neosporin packet - it’s tiny but if I feel the need to do that much I probably need a bigger bandage then what I have anyway... (and yes one year I did have a huge bandaid shoved in with a few tiny ones and when I got home and unpacked I realized I was ready for a hike into the woods not a day at a theme park :)

So bye bye To the Neosporin :)

Good points. They are tiny but I do force myself to a minimum 1 per kid (2) any more then that and I need the first aid station. And really I could drop the Neosporin packet - it’s tiny but if I feel the need to do that much I probably need a bigger bandage then what I have anyway... (and yes one year I did have a huge bandaid shoved in with a few tiny ones and when I got home and unpacked I realized I was ready for a hike into the woods not a day at a theme park :)

So bye bye To the Neosporin :)
if you do decide on the Neosporin what will you do with open packet unlike a tube you cant close. I would head to first aid for that also. the few small bandaids yes but if more than that it is a trip to first aid. with the Advil if you are using infant I might bring that to park but any other I would leave in room at resort as I would stop at first aid as I was leaving if I felt it was needed before I got back to room. if you are ordering stuff for room look and see if you could find the small bottles of toddler juice which is already watered down and I have seen it in our area with small single serve bottles. or you but one apple juice in park pour part in sippy cup add water from bottle pf water and let older child have rest of juice with or without water. plus you could have rest of bottle of water. I was never lucky with warm milk with my kids and grandkids. it had to be cold and the colder the better even true with juice which is why we did the shred juice with younger ones

Last edited:
We just did Disneyland with ages 4, 2 (nearly 3 so mostly potty trained), 18 months.

I brought:
1 pull up for 2 y.o. Just in case
2-3 diapers
Small pack of wipes (maybe 10-15?)
My wallet
Travel size sunscreen (it still has plenty for reapplying) & chapstick
My daughters autograph book and pen
A few reusable water bottles on the stroller
A few little packs of gummies as backup snacks

That’s it. No extra clothes. Nothing they already sell in the parks or have free if you need (medicine etc). We didn’t need anything else.

I figure kids don’t “need” milk at this age like they do as babies, so I wasn’t worried about him missing a few days (or I just ordered him milk at the sit down meals). Likewise, no “need” for juice or anything like that- just refill water bottle at water fountains. I also didn’t bother with a sippy cup, he’s fine to drink out of a water bottle or cup at a restaurant with a straw.

I will admit we travel really light in real life (I don’t carry a diaper bag). I’m not bothered by it if we have a spill- they can change back at hotel room later. We were in parks usually for 6-8 hrs at a time, one day a full 10+ hrs and all of this was still fine. We brought all of this in my KAVU crossbody bag and it fit fine.

I’d also really rethink the full sunscreen- I’m fair and I have one particularly ghostly white child and a 3 oz travel size one was more than enough for several days of quick reapplying. We used our main sunscreen back at hotel room.

if you do decide on the Neosporin what will you do with open packet unlike a tube you cant close. I would head to first aid for that also. the few small bandaids yes but if more than that it is a trip to first aid. with the Advil if you are using infant I might bring that to park but any other I would leave in room at resort as I would stop at first aid as I was leaving if I felt it was needed before I got back to room. if you are ordering stuff for room look and see if you could find the small bottles of toddler juice which is already watered down and I have seen it in our area with small single serve bottles. or you but one apple juice in park pour part in sippy cup add water from bottle pf water and let older child have rest of juice with or without water. plus you could have rest of bottle of water. I was never lucky with warm milk with my kids and grandkids. it had to be cold and the colder the better even true with juice which is why we did the shred juice with younger ones

The packets of Neosporin are super tiny - only enough for one use and you throw it out... I actually like it better then the tubes because I can keep it in my diaper bag so when we are at the park if someone falls I can apply it, add the band-aid and then we are done - everything goes in the trash. I typically go to REI and get one of the adventure medical kit refills like this: https://www.rei.com/product/113061/...iple-antibiotic-ointment-first-aid-kit-refill - we don't use that many in a year and then I don't have a tube from 3 years ago that I realize was used once... So these are not big and meant to be a one use product. - that said I do agree I don't really need a packet of Neosporin (technically the generic variety) and won't bring it.

I've definitely reconsidered the apple juice - it's bulky and not really needed at all. I may bring instead something to flavor the water like Nuun tablets (plus we get electrolytes) and that will take up far less space then the apple juice.

And yes - I have funny kids that like warm milk. DD has me warm her milk (30 seconds in the microwave) every morning on her way to school. It started because when we would go on trips I made the mistake of getting vanilla flavored milk for a treat. So then she started asking for "milk from the closet". I stopped that and got plain milk for outings but she was already hooked on the warm milk. And my son doesn't seem to mind either when we are out (thankfully he still takes cold milk at home) but less effort for me when we are heading out for the day if I can throw those in the bag instead of cold milk.

We just did Disneyland with ages 4, 2 (nearly 3 so mostly potty trained), 18 months.

I brought:
1 pull up for 2 y.o. Just in case
2-3 diapers
Small pack of wipes (maybe 10-15?)
My wallet
Travel size sunscreen (it still has plenty for reapplying) & chapstick
My daughters autograph book and pen
A few reusable water bottles on the stroller
A few little packs of gummies as backup snacks

That’s it. No extra clothes. Nothing they already sell in the parks or have free if you need (medicine etc). We didn’t need anything else.

I figure kids don’t “need” milk at this age like they do as babies, so I wasn’t worried about him missing a few days (or I just ordered him milk at the sit down meals). Likewise, no “need” for juice or anything like that- just refill water bottle at water fountains. I also didn’t bother with a sippy cup, he’s fine to drink out of a water bottle or cup at a restaurant with a straw.

I will admit we travel really light in real life (I don’t carry a diaper bag). I’m not bothered by it if we have a spill- they can change back at hotel room later. We were in parks usually for 6-8 hrs at a time, one day a full 10+ hrs and all of this was still fine. We brought all of this in my KAVU crossbody bag and it fit fine.

I’d also really rethink the full sunscreen- I’m fair and I have one particularly ghostly white child and a 3 oz travel size one was more than enough for several days of quick reapplying. We used our main sunscreen back at hotel room.

I've definitely reconsidered the apple juice - and I see the point about him not needing the milk (he probably needs more water during the hot days anyway) so I'll look at dropping that as well.

For the sunscreen I'll consider moving down to the smaller travel size bottle - or maybe one of those sunscreen sticks. We do apply a lot of sunscreen before getting dressed for the day in the room (yes, I apply a base layer of sunscreen under my clothing for the start of the day - but growing up I had multiple sever sunburns while visiting family in Florida, my mom never seemed to learn that one application was not enough for me and I'd look like a lobster and it was painful and ruined the trips)... But the full size bottle probably is a bit much, I know we never use a full size bottle while in the parks so I'll look into travel size or other alternative to reduce the size of the item :)

I brought my 20 month old last year. She doesn't drink milk so I didn't even touch that stuff. We did bring in juice, but it got warm throughout the day. Honestly, even in may it was so warm she didn't eat much during the day, but we did bring snacks like goldfish/teddy grahams. I think we took in somewhere between 4 to 6 diapers, because she's one of those kids who needs a new diaper every 2 hours or so. I wouldn't bring less than 4, and more than 6 is probably overkill depending on how long you're planning on being in the park.

I'd skip the meds, and the toy (unless there's someone younger than an 18 month old). There's so much to look at I don't think an 18 month old will need a stroller toy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter