Packing light with kids to the park

Oh my, this sounds like way too much stuff to me. We have traveled with infants and toddlers.

Diapers (6 - for an 18 month - too many?)- probably not too many. If you end up needing more, they're $$ in the parks
Wipes- 1 regular pack has always been sufficient for us, both for diapers and for wiping hands and faces
Diaper rash cream- unless your child actually has a rash, I don't see the need.
One spare set of clothes for the youngest- sure
3 little baggies of snacks for the youngest- sure
Sippy cup- definitely. I recommend a thermos style container that will keep a drink cold
A toy for the youngest attached to the stroller- probably not necessary. We've never taken toys
Milk (4 - horizon homogenized so does not need to be refrigerated)- Not necessary at all. We've never taken any form of milk into the parks. My kids drink water.
Apple juice (3 again for the little one)- just drink water
2 water bottles one for me one for DD. fine. You can also just fill up at water fountains or at counter service places.
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)- only if you're wearing them. My 3 year old had a pair on our last trip and they ended up stashed in the backpack because she didn't want to wear them for more than 10 minutes
Sunscreen - full bottle we are fair skinned and use it- definitely
Small wallet with ID, credit cards, insurance card- If you need to take these things, you don't really need a regular wallet. Just something slim to hold them.
Magic bands- wear them
Sunglasses- wear them
Sun hat- how are you going to wear this with the ears? I'd do one or the other.
Bandaids- no. Go to First Aid center if you need them.
Neosporin packet- same as bandaids
pain killers in a travel size bottle- same as Neosporin. first aid has everything you need. One time I even had a contact lens pop out and they had a little tube of saline for me.
Children’s Advil (now one for each as they have different types)- NO.
Autograph supplies (book and pen - in the past this has been far to complex and is one thing I’m cutting back on)- meh... depends on how badly you want autographs
Charging brick for the phone- yep. We always take this
Ponchos- yes
Stroller rain cover- yes. Attach it to the stroller even if it's not raining
Lipstick- uhhh. no
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)- uhh...??

Things I’m not bringing:
Night glow necklaces- i remember them about half the time
Princess dress - ya I enjoy the photos but DD is 6 so I don’t think it’s as necessary as meet and greets are not as important anymore for her
Camera - my phone is now almost as good and always on hand
Drinks for me - sure I saved money but it’s a pain brining that in and keeping them cold

Wow that is quite a list - I know. Help me out - is this at normal proportions? For a family with kids in our age bracket (18 month and 6). TIA[/QUOTE]

I think you’ve gotten good advice on what to drop. One thing that helps me is not putting my wallet or phone in the backpack. I carry a very small crossbody bag with just enough room for my wallet, phone, and chapstick. This way my H can take the backpack if we split up during the day.

And we also sometimes leave the backpack in the stroller while we’re on rides. I don’t really use it for irreplaceable items. I realize things get stolen from strollers, but if diapers and sunscreen get stolen they can be replaced easily. Obviously, if it has souvenirs we don’t leave it.

I just want to say :thanks:to everyone who responded. I defiantly will be rethinking the apple juice, milk, medicine, etc. I think I’m going to gather the stuff I plan to bring look at how it fits in the bag and start removing items from there (off of the already reduced list I’m working with). And I’ll definitely be using the gallon ziplock bags to organize the items :) Again thank you, this was very helpful!

I just want to say :thanks:to everyone who responded. I defiantly will be rethinking the apple juice, milk, medicine, etc. I think I’m going to gather the stuff I plan to bring look at how it fits in the bag and start removing items from there (off of the already reduced list I’m working with). And I’ll definitely be using the gallon ziplock bags to organize the items :) Again thank you, this was very helpful!
Just what I was going to suggest! You may find you've use for the ziploc qt. bags as well.
Here's hoping you enjoy the new experience:).

I carry:
- change of clothes for anyone under 4. Accidents, diaper leaks, and spills happen and you don't want discomfort to ruin your day.
- a ziploc bag to put wet or soiled things in
- ponchos, especially in stormy seasons
- flip flops so sneakers don't get drenched in a deluge.
- wipes and diapers for little ones
- travel size sunscreen
- stroller cover (A MUST. Getting the stroller drenched in a deluge is bad, bad, bad) Especially in summer, it can be sunny one minute and POURING the next. We always cover our stroller before leaving it.

I don't carry:
- snacks or drinks (it gets SO hot in Disney that carrying these is impractical unless you have really good coolers and lots of ice packs. We get these things when we have our meals at quick service or sit down restaurants.)
- medicines (this seems unnecessary to me unless you are treating a known illness). I do carry these in my suitcase, but I leave them at the hotel. If someone becomes sick, I would go back. Over the counter medicines are also available at the first aid stations in all the parks if a need is desperate.
- toys

There are baby stations in all of the parks I believe, and they have baby supplies if you end up needing something you decide not to carry.
One thing I carry now is a tank or a tshirt for myself. I have been peed on, puked on and had ice cream shoved into my shirt while in the parks. I too do not want to be messy in my photos and Disney shirts are expensive unplanned replacements. Just my opinion!

With little kids I always bring those Imagine Ink books for them to color in the stroller while waiting in lines, etc. They're like $3 at Target and there's Mickey, Princesses, Vamprina, etc. They are small and don't take up much space, the marker only colors on the paper so it won't get all over them, you don't have to worry about crayons melting, and when they're done with it, you throw it out.

With little kids I always bring those Imagine Ink books for them to color in the stroller while waiting in lines, etc. They're like $3 at Target and there's Mickey, Princesses, Vamprina, etc. They are small and don't take up much space, the marker only colors on the paper so it won't get all over them, you don't have to worry about crayons melting, and when they're done with it, you throw it out.

I love those and normally have them in my purse at all times :) I tried the water wow ones and they do work but my son has already started to destroy the one I got for him only 2 weeks ago (apparently if too much water is used they don’t do so well - he is only 18 months so explaining the concept of not covering the page in too much water is a bit difficult right now). I’m probably going back to the imagine ink because of it... but yes those are definitely useful to keep kids entertained anywhere!

I am an over packer as well.. I discovered the apple or other flavor mix sticks the ones you pour in water bottles I know its not the same but they are a lot lighter and take up no room. bring anything to encourage drinking, I would still bring 6 diapers cause its the one thing that you have to have and the car is really far to go back to. just put them in a large zip lock squeeze all the air out and they will stay dry. I was thinking I bring all of that and I still bring Lunch.
If anything ditch the heavy things, As to the autograph books Last time we were there we took 5x8 index cards and the fat pen we paid too much for the time before. We use the cards in a photo book when we got home next to the pics of the event. took up no room in the bag.

When we first went to Disney my daughter was 23 months and still on her bottle (it took us forever to wean don’t judge). We left her bottle in the room and just had her drink water. We brought a backpack and maybe brought 2-3 diapers a day, I think a pack of goldfish, a hat, sunscreen and a change of clothing. We bought her a Mickey and Pluto stuffed animal in the parks and she wanted to carry one around the the whole time . It was fine. We were on the dining plan so we got water/food in the parks. I threw my wallet in her backpack and packed a chapstick for me

I didn’t even pack bandaids, neosporin or Tylenol with me. Now I feel like a bad mom lol

So I’m an over-packer when I have my kids. I tend to pack more than is needed and while I’ve slowly moved to packing less I’m concerned that with the addition of the 18 month old on this trip I could over pack again. So, for all those who pack light even with kids what do you do? What do you pack? What have you packed and realized it’s not needed? I clearly have a list that I’m culling at this moment but I’d like to hear from others. Anyone managed to go bagless with an 18 month old for a full day in the park (I’m guessing no unless the kid was already fully potty trained but figured I’d throw that out there :) Anyway as I get closer to the trip I figured I’d start to pull a packing list together for my bag I’ll post that as well - if you see something you think is superfluous let me know and I’ll consider culling it! TIA

Wow that is quite a list - I know. Help me out - is this at normal proportions? For a family with kids in our age bracket (18 month and 6). TIA

Diapers (6 - for an 18 month - too many?)-for the day maybe not enough but I am the person who (used to) change frequently.
Wipes-I used to throw a package in a zip lock bag, took up less space.
Diaper rash cream-for what reason? Unless there is an active need for it then leave it in the room. If you feel the need apply it in the morning and when you come back for your mid day break and again at night.
One spare set of clothes for the youngest-nope, nope, nope-we return to the room mid day and we all change our clothes. My kids when little (and still now) eat breakfast in the room so in their jammies and we leave the park after lunch. My kids tend to get drenched from any kind of sprinkling water and they have no desire to change out of their wet clothes.
3 little baggies of snacks for the youngest-I would bring enough for am park hours and then replenish for the evening. I think I brought one snack per kid.
Sippy cup-yes
A toy for the youngest attached to the stroller-no. What if your child some how unattaches it plus there is so much to see. I gave my son when he was 22 months ice. Yep it was July and he got ice cubes on his little tray. He was in heaven since he loved ice and water. So he got wet which made him happy!
Milk (4 - horizon homogenized so does not need to be refrigerated)-up to you but it’s added weight, my kids drank water in the park, still do. Milk they drank at breakfast.
Apple juice (3 again for the little one)-no but then again I didn’t give my kids juice, they drank water.
2 water bottles one for me one for DD-we all carry water bottles, double insulated and we carry about 8 extra bottles (there are 5 of us) for the morning and pretty much use it all and then refill for the pm.
Mickey ears - 3 (one for each of us)-what if your kid doesn’t want to wear them?
Sunscreen - full bottle we are fair skinned and use it-i would apply in the morning and be done. If you take a mid day break you can apply before you return again. It’s not like you are sitting on a beach the entire time...this is from a person that i don’t think I put sunscreen on me last August. I was a weee bit tan before we left.
Small wallet with ID, credit cards, insurance card-one credit card, take a picture of your insurance card unless you have room for it.
Magic bands- yes
Sunglasses-yes
Sun hat-yes we wear them
Bandaids-no
Neosporin packet-no
pain killers in a travel size bottle-combine as much as you can in one bottle if you need to (aka kids and adult) otherwise no
Children’s Advil (now one for each as they have different types)-no
Autograph supplies (book and pen - in the past this has been far to complex and is one thing I’m cutting back on)-no, I bring a sharpie (actually one of my kids holds it now) and my kids wear hats that the characters sign.
Charging brick for the phone-yes
Ponchos-unless rain and I mean rain is expected then no. But don’t listen to me, we were in rain in August but didn’t care.
Stroller rain cover-no unless showers are expected.
Lipstick-no we bring chap stick
Powder (yes I reapply makeup at the parks - if you had my complexion you’d do the same :)

Things I’m not bringing:
Night glow necklaces- i remember them about half the time
Princess dress - ya I enjoy the photos but DD is 6 so I don’t think it’s as necessary as meet and greets are not as important anymore for her
Camera - my phone is now almost as good and always on hand
Drinks for me - sure I saved money but it’s a pain brining that in and keeping them cold- double insulated thermos, cost about $20-30, fill with ice, bring water bottles and don’t buy soda in the parks and water s cold, refill as needed.

Basically when our kids were little, we brought, diapers, wipes, epipen/Benadryl, hat that could be attached to something if it worn, changing towel (small and took up less space), Lysol wipes, table toppers, some snacks and water. Oh and chap stick, phones (now chargers).

Six yr olds can carry their own stuff in a small back pack or fanny pack. Plan on heading back to the resort after lunch. You won't need to carry so much stuff, you can just replace, repair, whatever when you get back to your room and only carry for the baby for a few hours. Plus your kids can take a break, like a nap, go for a swim, watch some television, etc. Plus if you really need something in the park, it's really amazing. They sell that stuff in the park.

I think you’ve gotten good advice on what to drop. One thing that helps me is not putting my wallet or phone in the backpack. I carry a very small crossbody bag with just enough room for my wallet, phone, and chapstick. This way my H can take the backpack if we split up during the day.

And we also sometimes leave the backpack in the stroller while we’re on rides. I don’t really use it for irreplaceable items. I realize things get stolen from strollers, but if diapers and sunscreen get stolen they can be replaced easily. Obviously, if it has souvenirs we don’t leave it.

I also use a small crossbody bag to hold my phone, money, license and a card chap stick and a small tube of Advil and travel sunscreen.

When my DGD was young we used to pack a ziplock bag with a spare outfit. It took almost no space and was a godsend if there was a spill.

I would not include the milk or juice unless the kids really need them while you are touring. We drank water in between meals, and bought cold milk at lunch. I also would not take toys, and woudl nto carry a spare hat. Ears or a hat, not both.

I agree that you should do a trial pack at home, and ditch anything that cannot fit in one bag comfortably. I also would think about what you use at home on a daily basis. I am a chronic overpacker, and tend to pack like I am going to be stranded for days. No more. I pack only the essentials, with our without kids, If it does not fit in a small backpack it gets left behind, and if I need something out of the ordinary I either buy it of find it from first aid.

The best thing we EVER could do was get my kids to drink water. They only get other drinks (milk, limited juice, soda on rare occasions) at meals out. But the majority of the time they just drink plain old water.

When I had diaper age kids, I only took a gallon sized ziplock with 3-4 diapers, disposable changing mat just in case, travel pack of wipes, and 1 change of clothes for him. IF it was winter, I only took pants since it was bulky. In my bag I also had disposable ponchos for the adults from the $1 store, travel sized sun screen and pretty much nothing else. That was shoved under the stroller as my "diaper" bag. We also take a backpack cooler in with bottles of water and a few granola bar type snacks in the front pocket. Finally, I carry my phone, a little bit of cash/cards, and any miscellaneous small items we may need in my cross body bag.

We have always traveled pretty light. I wish we could ditch the water, but with the heat and $4/bottle for water, it just isn't worth it for us.

Yes to all this. I always carried a small very bradley cross body that was really light weight and had a bulit in wallet. I just had my ID, Gift Cards, 1 credit card and maybe a small amount of cash. It would hold my phone and when my kids were in diapers i would put one diaper and carry some wipes and suncreen. Wipes are always necessary to have handy with little ones. This way I wouldnt have to go into the backpack every time and if we were standing in line I could reapply sunscreen. Everything else stayed in the backpack at the bottom of the stroller.

We would also park the stroller and might do more than one ride before going back to it so this way I had everything i needed to hit the bathroom up if needed before heading back to get the stroller. everything that was in the bottom of the stroller was non valuable items so I didnt worry about it getting taken. Just becarefuly leaving food in the stroller because the squirrels will find it.

You have a good list. That sounds about right. Only thing I may not bring is autograph stuff. Personally, my kids didn't care about it. Maybe my daughter will this time at age 6.

Maybe a more ergonomic sippy cup?

Oh I forgot to mention, don't use a bag, use a backback. Your back and shoulders will thank me if you end up carrying it. I usually use a umbrella stroller for easy transport and they don't have under-carriage storage.

I would also add the the kids meals often come with a small bag of grapes/carrots and they have powerpacks that have few snacks in them and i would just put these aside as snacks to have later that day or the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!