Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they aren't going after the upper and middle upper class, why do they keep building DVC and moderate and deluxe hotels? And why do they keep adding extra payable experiences and taking away the non-paid stuff? Yes, it's a niche market. But it's a niche market with a lot of money to spend.

I can guarantee probably 90% of all DVC is middle class, not upper. Dvc is basically time share of which the majority of time shares are owned by middle class. Upper class do not invest money into such gimmick type time shares. All time shares and DVC specifically target middle class as an affordable way to experience upper class resorts. That why its setup for making payments, cause the targeted class cant afford to pay in full and the ones that can buy outright(upper class) dont need it cause they can already afford premium experiences. The middle class are the ones buying DVC and staying in deluxe resorts, hence why Disney targets the ones who spend the most money. This old saying holds very true "the rich stay rich by acting poor and the poor stay poor by acting rich". The upper class that are truly upper class are not DVC or staying in $500 or less type rooms, they are staying in $1000+ night, its middle class that are staying in $500 or less night type rooms.

I can guarantee probably 90% of all DVC is middle class, not upper. Dvc is basically time share of which the majority of time shares are owned by middle class. Upper class do not invest money into such gimmick type time shares. All time shares and DVC specifically target middle class as an affordable way to experience upper class resorts. That why its setup for making payments, cause the targeted class cant afford to pay in full and the ones that can buy outright(upper class) dont need it cause they can already afford premium experiences. The middle class are the ones buying DVC and staying in deluxe resorts, hence why Disney targets the ones who spend the most money. This old saying holds very true "the rich stay rich by acting poor and the poor stay poor by acting rich". The upper class that are truly upper class are not DVC or staying in $500 or less type rooms, they are staying in $1000+ night, its middle class that are staying in $500 or less night type rooms.

When the buy in was $90/pp your thoughts here would be more correct.

At $195/pp I do not think what you write here is correct.

Also a bit contradictory to say the rich stay rich by acting poor then in the next sentence say they are staying in $1000+/night accommodations....

But we have to specify what we mean by middle class. Upper middle class would be a large target of DVC, for sure. The rest of the class, no, especially not at $195/pp...

Perhaps that was the case. But the Riviera is the most expensive DVC resort. And the cash rooms are pricey too. I'm sure Reflections will be the same. It isn't the value that it used to be 🤷

They also actively worked to create that demand.........
I hear you .. that's why I think Paid FPs are coming sooner than we want. The FP+ system has somewhat created a high demand for Fast Passes.
By giving away free all these FPs the standy lines are "inflated". With long standby lines and "insane" standby lines (see FoP), that just makes the demand for FP even more. Once Disney feels their resorts are filling up due to the 60-day FP perk drawing people there, they will then drop some sort of paid (or perhaps just a bonus) FP experience (similar to club level) but probably ONLY have it for Deluxe or Moderate resorts (which will push the guests that are "fine" with staying at the All-Stars up to stay at those resorts).

But they will make extra "add-ons" that will get the lower to middle class guests want to buy those extras to "feel" like the upper crust. :). I mean that's the whole point of these dessert parties, right? "special" desserts .."special" seating to see a fireworks show (you can easily see from everywhere).

Though, I suspect we will see MORE "Early Morning Magic" type of things before we see general paid Fast Pass. That created demand for Fast Pass is selling "exclusive" early morning access to rides. It is essentially paying for 3+ fast passes since the rides are walk-ons. The downside is you have to get up extra early.

An early morning magic (or late night) for SWGE would sell like hotcakes, and honestly I am surprised they didn't have one in the works and ready to go Day 1.

I hear you .. that's why I think Paid FPs are coming sooner than we want. The FP+ system has somewhat created a high demand for Fast Passes.
By giving away free all these FPs the standy lines are "inflated". With long standby lines and "insane" standby lines (see FoP), that just makes the demand for FP even more. Once Disney feels their resorts are filling up due to the 60-day FP perk drawing people there, they will then drop some sort of paid (or perhaps just a bonus) FP experience (similar to club level) but probably ONLY have it for Deluxe or Moderate resorts (which will push the guests that are "fine" with staying at the All-Stars up to stay at those resorts).

But they will make extra "add-ons" that will get the lower to middle class guests want to buy those extras to "feel" like the upper crust. :). I mean that's the whole point of these dessert parties, right? "special" desserts .."special" seating to see a fireworks show (you can easily see from everywhere).

Though, I suspect we will see MORE "Early Morning Magic" type of things before we see general paid Fast Pass. That created demand for Fast Pass is selling "exclusive" early morning access to rides. It is essentially paying for 3+ fast passes since the rides are walk-ons. The downside is you have to get up extra early.

An early morning magic (or late night) for SWGE would sell like hotcakes, and honestly I am surprised they didn't have one in the works and ready to go Day 1.

I think we will see paid FP for only the newest rides. Rumor has it that this is what they were going to do with MFSR. Problem is, demand never materialized.

RoTR may be the first one, but I believe they are working out the kinks first (making sure the ride is more reliable).

The FP system already drives a lot of the upsells already. So even if they never actually charge for a FP, they have already monetized it.

This is in the form of the 60 day onsite advantage with length of stay, CL extra purchase option, and the longer standby lines because of it. These longer lines drive demand to EMM and after hours.

However, I would not be surprised to one day have the initial 3 be free, with extra day of FP's being ala cart and demand based.

I have working at various “attractions” for over 20 years and you are certainly correct. Disney markets to a variety of population segments, the largest of which is middle class. Think traditional family with two incomes and two kids. Yes, DVC is expensive as most of Disney is. Like most attractions, Disney will keep increasing prices to see when and if they reach a tipping point. Yes DVC is expensive it’s a “pre-paid” vacation that can be financed. It’s marketed directly at the middle class. The upper class won’t buy into DVC or stay on property for that matter, they are at the Four Seasons. Have you seen the latest Disney commercial? It has a woman, presumably a mom, telling Goofy how she doesn’t think she can afford Disney. That’s who they are marketing to.
We now return to our discussion on the possibility of paid fast passes.

Couldn't agree more. I thought they would announced these or After Hours at HS after the new year. Seems to me they are leaving tons of money on the table by not going after the second admission at HS.

[QUOTE="dlavender, post: 61421391, member: 553109"

Also a bit contradictory to say the rich stay rich by acting poor then in the next sentence say they are staying in $1000+/night accommodations....

[/QUOTE]

That is just an old saying that has been around forever, it's not speaking literally. obviously the rich spend money. The point being is that the middle class spend more as a whole than the upper and lower class and Disney's biggest target is the middle class.

I agree, when u get into high middle and upper class, that's basically a niche market and is a very small market. It's no secret the sweet spot is middle to lower middle class, they are the ones that literally spend the most money hands down and their also the ones that will go into debt just to go to wdw, this is the majority of the market. These are the folks that get a $5k tax return and use to go on vacation. Disney cares about getting everyone's money and that's a fact but they know where the money is at and it's not the upper class, yes they have the money but they dont spend it, the money is with the class that spends it the most and hands down the middle class spends more money than everyone else combined. Not to mention, I think we'd all be very surprised to learn who is exactly renting those $1000 night rooms, if we had a way to actually get this info I think we would learn it's more middle class using credit cards going in debt than upper class.
Umm... I rent those rooms, I am middle class and we don't go into credit card debt to get those rooms. Just sayin'

I know there targeting overseas guest. Last few weeks I've seen star wars galaxy disney add 3 or 4 times a day in Australia. Before this I've probably lucky to save seen a official disney ad on TV 3 or 4 times in my lifetime

To be honest it feels like they’re just targeting the same old crowd they always have been, they just know for the most part we’ll all pay more 😂. I’d love to see numbers of repeat guests buying all the add ons and events vs newbies. I bet repeat is way higher than these conversations make it seem.

It’s just anecdotal, but I have found no matter one’s income level (except the filthy never have to think about it rich I suppose) people who are not Disney people balk at what nearly everything costs and don’t see the value in it the same way a Disney person does. I know more than one person much wealthier than we are who think we are downright insane for paying what we do.

It’s just anecdotal, but I have found no matter one’s income level (except the filthy never have to think about it rich I suppose) people who are not Disney people balk at what nearly everything costs and don’t see the value in it the same way a Disney person does. I know more than one person much wealthier than we are who think we are downright insane for paying what we do.
I think your right . people always ask me how I afford so many overseas trip . I just tell them I book them and then work out a way to pay for it later :)

To be honest it feels like they’re just targeting the same old crowd they always have been, they just know for the most part we’ll all pay more 😂. I’d love to see numbers of repeat guests buying all the add ons and events vs newbies. I bet repeat is way higher than these conversations make it seem.

I can afford the deluxe rack rates. I think it's insane to pay them. I have to see value in anything I spend money on. I may be guilty of doing "Disney math," but I draw the line at the insane rack rates of the deluxe resorts.

I can afford the deluxe rack rates. I think it's insane to pay them. I have to see value in anything I spend money on. I may be guilty of doing "Disney math," but I draw the line at the insane rack rates of the deluxe resorts.
same here. We have done the Deluxe CL and added the extra FP+ option the last 5 or 6 trips. This upcoming April trip, after a lot of mix up, I just can't justify it. I did have BC,CL booked at under $600 a night but screwing around with it I messed things up and lost it. Then Jan 2nd past and YC,CL immediately went to over $800 a night so after many resort changes we are staying at BoardWalk Villas in a 1 bedroom for under $600 and not looking back. Though I can "Afford Deluxe", I am starting to draw a line on what I will actually spend. AP renewal is another story.

Last edited:

I bet you’re right. I’ve booked the add-ons to mitigate crowds on a shorter trip or when I planned to take someone who has never been. I bet the average first time (once in a lifetime) guest doesn’t do enough research to even know these things exist.

I bet you’re right. I’ve booked the add-ons to mitigate crowds on a shorter trip or when I planned to take someone who has never been. I bet the average first time (once in a lifetime) guest doesn’t do enough research to even know these things exist.
They did finally create, sometime last year, a nice landing page and general name for most of the add on experiences. Well actually two websites: 1 for the "wealthy" and 1 for "common visitor". I'm using that phrasing for simplicity but they definitely seem marketed to very different groups of individuals.

The "Wealthy" one
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/crown-collection/
The "Common Visitor" one
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/enchanting-extras-collection/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!