Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few regular (or lower) middle class people can afford moderate rooms. Those are being filled by the uppers. Many middle classers are struggling just to afford the value rooms which average $150 a night. And they might be "value", but there are still many upper middle and higher class that stay at those rooms, just because the theming etc... As far as the campsites, they appeal to campers, regardless of class. They're not cheap.
I'm glad you brought up the campsites. We are campers. Campers are a different group of people. Income levels and expenditure levels are quite diverse among campers. It is not uncommon to have people that make $40k per year parked next to people making $1 million per year. And as long as they both behave appropriately, neither one is bothered by the other. It's not uncommon to see a pop-up camper that was purchased used for $2,000 next to a luxury Class A that was purchased new for $300,000. For the same amenities, both sets of campers will pay the same rate at a given campground.

We absolutely LOVED Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground when we visited in July. Unfortunately, it's simply more than we are willing to pay anymore. $200 per night (the latest rate we've seen on a premium campsite), coupled with the cost of gas to haul a camper from Texas, is simply a lot for us, and we have a combined family income of just over $100k. (The campground stays booked, even at over $200 per night. That means that there are lots of campers that can either easily afford it or are making it a priority in their budget.)
Should Disney choose to build another campground, call it a value, and charge significantly less for a bare-bones experience, we would happily reconsider since we prefer to stay in our own camper over a hotel room in order to be on Disney property and get the perks that go with it. I'm sure there are other campers that feel the same way.

We will still go to Disney, but the increasing costs have knocked it down some on our list of priorities in our budget. If it stays much the same as it is now, we will likely return in about 2023ish and stay in a value.

I'm glad you brought up the campsites. We are campers. Campers are a different group of people. Income levels and expenditure levels are quite diverse among campers. It is not uncommon to have people that make $40k per year parked next to people making $1 million per year. And as long as they both behave appropriately, neither one is bothered by the other. It's not uncommon to see a pop-up camper that was purchased used for $2,000 next to a luxury Class A that was purchased new for $300,000. For the same amenities, both sets of campers will pay the same rate at a given campground.

We absolutely LOVED Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground when we visited in July. Unfortunately, it's simply more than we are willing to pay anymore. $200 per night (the latest rate we've seen on a premium campsite), coupled with the cost of gas to haul a camper from Texas, is simply a lot for us, and we have a combined family income of just over $100k. (The campground stays booked, even at over $200 per night. That means that there are lots of campers that can either easily afford it or are making it a priority in their budget.)
Should Disney choose to build another campground, call it a value, and charge significantly less for a bare-bones experience, we would happily reconsider since we prefer to stay in our own camper over a hotel room in order to be on Disney property and get the perks that go with it. I'm sure there are other campers that feel the same way.

We will still go to Disney, but the increasing costs have knocked it down some on our list of priorities in our budget. If it stays much the same as it is now, we will likely return in about 2023ish and stay in a value.
Wow, over $200/night for a campsite?? I haven't ever stayed at the campsite but I did visit once for a horse & carriage ride during the holidays and it was nice enough but not worth that price. I'm sorry to see even the campsites being priced out... :guilty::guilty::guilty:

The land is too valuable to build a "value" campsite. When Disney can build a DVC resort with a profit over $1billion (Riviera is expected to profit over 1.5 billion), why would Disney send even a half second considering a value campsite.

I just checked a week in the first half of May, and the campsite rates (full hookup) ranged from 121-161 per night. Still a lot, but not $200. I'm guessing the holiday rates are where you get to the $200 range.

I just checked a week in the first half of May, and the campsite rates (full hookup) ranged from 121-161 per night. Still a lot, but not $200. I'm guessing the holiday rates are where you get to the $200 range.
A couple nights I've been looking at towards the end of February are showing $84/night. So, it really depends on when you're going.

May won't cost as much since it isn't a peak season for the campsites. They tend to sell out, even at $200/night, around Christmas, spring break, and halloween.
Also, the $200/night price is for the premium sites, which are large enough to accommodate larger rigs.

A couple nights I've been looking at towards the end of February are showing $84/night. So, it really depends on when you're going.
That's not during a time when most people can go, and it's likely a tent site, which wouldn't have sewer service. They won't allow a hard-sided, contained unit in the tent sites.
The $200+ per night that I referenced was a premium site (preferable if you have a larger rig) during peak times for the campground.

The land is too valuable to build a "value" campsite. When Disney can build a DVC resort with a profit over $1billion (Riviera is expected to profit over 1.5 billion), why would Disney send even a half second considering a value campsite.
You are right; it's wishful thinking on my part. I guess my thought process was that the only thing they would need to upkeep would be the grounds, restrooms, and utilities. There would be no laundry service, mousekeeping taking care of campers, etc. since families maintain their own units.

I love the Campground areas, just a beautiful place to stay or just walk around. You cannot blame Disney for maximizing there profit as they are a Corporation. Riviera will sell 6.7 mm points at an average (when all is said and done) of over $190 a point. The new Reflections will be even more. Too bad as the Campgrounds have always been a peaceful slice of life in what is often a very hectic WDW experience.

Here is what I was thinking for a paid FP option. If you want to guarantee a ride that you can pre-schedule on: RotR @ HS, Tron @ MK, Guardians @ Epcot. Paid FP @ 90 days for CL, 60 for Onsite, 30 all other. There will be those that don’t want to pay so they hold a limited number back for day of VQ. All other rides follow the current (free) FP+ structure.

Here is what I was thinking for a paid FP option. If you want to guarantee a ride that you can pre-schedule on: RotR @ HS, Tron @ MK, Guardians @ Epcot. Paid FP @ 90 days for CL, 60 for Onsite, 30 all other. There will be those that don’t want to pay so they hold a limited number back for day of VQ. All other rides follow the current (free) FP+ structure.
Theoretically this can work. I am just sad that it has potentially come to this. I am going to Europa Park & Efteling this summer in Europe and neither have fast pass options. I'm curious to see how the lines move. I think fast passes have just made everything worse and we didn't know it until we can look back on it now.

I'm not sure what the solution is but there has got to be a better way than all this nonsense... :guilty::guilty::guilty:

Based on how much I've already spent on our upcoming April trip, I'd welcome the ability to pay to secure some of the big rides, especially at HS. By doing that, it would make the trip, we've spent months planning, less stressful and more relaxed. We are doing After Hours at MK for this purpose, but it doesn't appear HS is going to offer anything soon.

I'd resent paying to secure rides, but I would. Spending extra to make what I've already spent more enjoyable.....that's what it's come to. Nobody is better than Disney at creating problems and then offering a paid way to "solve" that problem.

I say this as someone who won't be back while Disney maintains this ridiculous regimented planning system, so I understand how those of you who visit often wouldn't find this appealing.

I didn’t read through the whole thread, but for those who are more than willing to pay for FP, why not just book a vip tour? Or is that where you draw a line at cost?

Honestly, if money wasn’t an issue that’s what’s i would do. Leave the scrounging for fps to the peasants. 🙂

I didn’t read through the whole thread, but for those who are more than willing to pay for FP, why not just book a vip tour? Or is that where you draw a line at cost?

Honestly, if money wasn’t an issue that’s what’s i would do. Leave the scrounging for fps to the peasants. 🙂
Money is an issue, but so is time haha. But I'd be willing to lock down some of the rides in order to make the rest of the trip smoother.

VIP is a joke. You aren't being taken to the front of the line, so you're paying to stand in FP lines, you are paying during travel time to hop, you are paying for time spent eating and then there's extra money for a tip (which is fine, the CM provided a service, but it's still extra). Just let me pick the rides I want to secure and give me a price. I can then decide if it's worth it.

Last edited:

That's where we draw the line :) We take long enough trips that we don't need a 7+ hour $3000+ tour, but if you're there just for a day, or once in a lifetime, it's probably worth it.

My husband and I are going to WDW alone this December haven't ridden ROTR yet. I hope/expect there to be either a new Star Wars Guided Tour or Galaxy's Edge EMM by then. We'd max out at a few hundred each.

I can afford the deluxe rack rates. I think it's insane to pay them. I have to see value in anything I spend money on. I may be guilty of doing "Disney math," but I draw the line at the insane rack rates of the deluxe resorts.

Those insane prices have been brought to the POP and AoA with the gondola. I was looking at taking a trip on Southwest's last airfare sale. A night at the POP or AllStars was more than roundtrip airfare for one out of the Midwest.

Those insane prices have been brought to the POP and AoA with the gondola. I was looking at taking a trip on Southwest's last airfare sale. A night at the POP was more than roundtrip airfare for one out of the Midwest.

Yes and while I love Pop it is no longer worth the price to me. First the refurb pushed them up and now the Skyliner.

The VIP tour has never been attractive to me simply because I don't want or need a handler, I don't want to experience the parks as a "greatest hits" tour, and I don't want to enter the parks backstage. I know I could tailor it such that I wouldn't need to do those things, but then I wouldn't feel like I was actually getting my true value out of the experience.

I'd gladly pay a similar amount of money for just instant Fastpasses to any attraction. That would let me experience the parks at my own pace without feeling like I needed to do anything else, or entertain a handler (which, honestly, is how I always feel when in those situations).

The VIP tour has never been attractive to me simply because I don't want or need a handler, I don't want to experience the parks as a "greatest hits" tour, and I don't want to enter the parks backstage. I know I could tailor it such that I wouldn't need to do those things, but then I wouldn't feel like I was actually getting my true value out of the experience.

I'd gladly pay a similar amount of money for just instant Fastpasses to any attraction. That would let me experience the parks at my own pace without feeling like I needed to do anything else, or entertain a handler (which, honestly, is how I always feel when in those situations).

So like $500/hr? I agree for that price they could probably sell unlimited fast passes and not have the guide. Just scan into any fp line as many times as you want for the number of hours you pay for.

I wouldn’t be able to afford it but give wealthy people the option and leave the free FP system for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!