Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity and not to argue but hasn't the offsite always been a lot cheaper even before the parking? I know those parking fees will add up but it seems to me even when there was no parking fees it was still a big savings if you were willing to give up the on property appeal, EMH, and FP+. One other thing I factor in is the Disney work ethic. When I use to stay off property and ran into rude people working those hotels I would always say to them, "I see why your not working at Disney."

I think it is true these offsite options were always cheaper, but that is only one factor. I think people saw value in being "onsite", having free parking, EMH, better customers service, and most importantly the goodwill towards a company like Disney. It wasn't just another hotel chain, it stood for something different. Does charging this fee lessen that goodwill? Maybe not for everyone but clearly for some. Plus some of the other benefits seem to be less beneficial than in the past.

They have altered the bargain, I pray they do not alter it further.

I just can't see how they wouldn't try to eliminate competition to services they are trying to promote...but again, it would be hard given the way WDW is laid out to restrict too much.

I wonder since Disney is testing their own internal Uber/Lyft type system if they'll start restricting Uber/Lyft on property? I don't think they could ban them all together but they could make them more inconvenient - like they can't get through the gated entrances at hotels and have to drop people off at the gate? Or they can't drop off close to the parks? So just tactics to make non-Disney ride share options less convenient?

I know at some airports they make you shuttle to a lot to pick up car ride services so it becomes inconvenient and you choose a cab instead because they are right outside baggage claim (not that the cab lines aren't still ridiculous) - or at least that is the case in NYC where the City regulates the cab industry.

I believe that is 100 percent going to happen. It is private property and they have the right to restrict any way they see fit. I don't see it happening for a little bit but maybe be years end. They might even state its a safety concern lol

Just out of curiosity and not to argue but hasn't the offsite always been a lot cheaper even before the parking? I know those parking fees will add up but it seems to me even when there was no parking fees it was still a big savings if you were willing to give up the on property appeal, EMH, and FP+. One other thing I factor in is the Disney work ethic. When I use to stay off property and ran into rude people working those hotels I would always say to them, "I see why your not working at Disney."
I'm sure it has been, but I've never really looked before. Like I said, renting a car is a newer thing for me, so now that they are adding the parking fee, this is the final straw that has pushed me into looking.

I believe that is 100 percent going to happen. It is private property and they have the right to restrict any way they see fit. I don't see it happening for a little bit but maybe be years end. They might even state its a safety concern lol

It is private property but it's not restricted for the most part so enforcement would be hard. But they could enforce it in a way to make it inconvenient, so at resorts and parks people have to get dropped off further away. Could you imagine taking an Uber from the airport with a party of 4 and the gate agent at your resort tell you the Uber can't come in and you have to walk with all your luggage to the resort entrance? I mean that would not go over well with guests! Or they could make Uber and Lyft go to a separate lot where buses pick up for resorts and parks?

And the guests wouldn't be mad at Uber but Disney! It would be up to Uber and Lyft drivers to not take Disney guests?

Wht else could they do?

It is private property but it's not restricted for the most part so enforcement would be hard. But they could enforce it in a way to make it inconvenient, so at resorts and parks people have to get dropped off further away. Could you imagine taking an Uber from the airport with a party of 4 and the gate agent at your resort tell you the Uber can't come in and you have to walk with all your luggage to the resort entrance? I mean that would not go over well with guests! Or they could make Uber and Lyft go to a separate lot where buses pick up for resorts and parks?

And the guests wouldn't be mad at Uber but Disney! It would be up to Uber and Lyft drivers to not take Disney guests?

Wht else could they do?

Prior to Uber/Lyft getting approval and striking a deal with airports drivers would get in trouble for picking up at the airports. I was a Lyft driver for a bit and most of us would make sure we had nothing on our cars and when we picked up people and dropped them off we would make it look like we were dropping off family.

I guess there are only so many ways of saying the same thing.

Many of us have moved on. We've moved on to planning vacations somewhere other than Disney World. Instead of crunching numbers on a Disney trip in 2019, I'm now looking at cruises and finding a ton of attractive options at and mostly below the cost of a Disney trip. And we go relatively cheap.

As down on Disney as this thread has been, the parking thread on the Resorts board is worse.
Yup, I've already moved on.... to planning a trip to Uni next year instead of Disney. This wasn't the only reason, but one of a number of reasons why Disney has lost the magic for me. And like I said before, I don't even drive at Disney, but the money-grubbing got me really upset.
Speaking of parking adding to continued rollbacks of perks, I saw the announced a summer vacation plan with free dining but only for kids 3-9.

I never travel to WDW in the summer, so is this a sign of things to come with FD packages now that they will only be offered to kids 3-9? Or is it an added perk to summer packages because it's usually high season and I don't recall that they've done FD in the summer before?
I haven't seen it before, but that doesn't mean it's never happened. But I did think, "Wow, another ridiculous, transparent cutback :rolleyes:" when I read about it this morning. Kids' meals are relatively cheap at Disney; this really saves families very little money, especially compared to any other discount. What a joke.

Wht else could they do?

I guess that would depend on what other nearby resorts are doing. If they allow Uber/Lyft to drop off at the front door that would be one more way Disney is less appealing. Buses have been so poor the last few years we have started using Uber/Lyft a bunch on property. Which also got me to thinking how easy it would be to use from one of the nearby offsite hotels. We are DVC so doubt our pattern will change much, but I can see how non-DVC guests would consider it this way too.

Can someone do me a favor and give me a rough summery of whats going on? Disney is making non resort as well as resort guests pay a fee for parking at the resort? For all resorts? Does the fee also apply to the theme parks as well?

Can someone do me a favor and give me a rough summery of whats going on? Disney is making non resort as well as resort guests pay a fee for parking at the resort? For all resorts? Does the fee also apply to the theme parks as well?
The best summary is on WDW's website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/
Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.
Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

• Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.
Learn more about services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

Speaking of parking adding to continued rollbacks of perks, I saw the announced a summer vacation plan with free dining but only for kids 3-9.

I never travel to WDW in the summer, so is this a sign of things to come with FD packages now that they will only be offered to kids 3-9? Or is it an added perk to summer packages because it's usually high season and I don't recall that they've done FD in the summer before?

They did something similar last summer where they included breakfast - so they have done it in the past with something related to dining that was different and then for regular free dining is was more like what was done in the past. So I don't think this necessarily means that regular free dining will change as well (now it might, because they need to offer it less and less, but I don't necessarily this is a sign of that)

WDW announces summer resort discounts on the day that resort parking charges take effect on new reservations. You may be able to obtain a 25% discount but if you drive or rent a car, you'll have to pay the new parking charge.

also announced the Kids eat free options - so multiple options (obviously everyone needs to research which is the better deal for them)

But definitely fits with the thinking that they add this expense and then promote deals so that it appears you are saving money when in the end it is the same cash output

My phone call will have to wait. I misread the email and the person who sent it only works Friday through Tuesday. Will hope for a delayed opening Friday, or wait until I am off next week for spring break.
As far as watching this thread slow down, I know this is par for the course with most unpopular Disney announcements. But that doesn't mean that there are those of us who are seriously considering alternatives to our usual trip plans. It also doesn't diminish the feelings I have of being unfairly targeted or penalized because I choose to drive rather than fly. It is particularly difficult for those of us who have been Disney apologists in the past. For right now, I am still figuring out how Disney will fit into my life. It is obviously still important, otherwise I would no longer be actively participating on the DIS. But I have been thinking of limiting that now too.

Last edited:
also announced the Kids eat free options - so multiple options (obviously everyone needs to research which is the better deal for them)

But definitely fits with the thinking that they add this expense and then promote deals so that it appears you are saving money when in the end it is the same cash output

If their plan all along was to increase the parking fee but then offer more promos/lower rates, I can't understand: 1.) why they wouldn't just make it a resort fee to apply to everyone 2.)why they wouldn't have had this fact in their talking points responding to emails over parking. Both of these would have been a better explanation in my mind than "it is industry standard". So is this just a reaction to the negative feedback? Or was it the grand plan all along?

It is particularly difficult for those of us who have been Disney apologists in the past.

In my circle of friends and family, I haven't been an apologist over the the last two decades, I have been an advocate helping many book and plan their vacations. About 2 years ago I stopped being an advocate and started being a realist, attempting to brief friends and family on the hidden costs and alternate strategies (e.g. you may not need a dining plan, you can buy souvenirs made in China, of same quality, at home that are 90% cheaper so buy before you go and "unveil them to the kids" when you unpack, etc). Now, I might actually say, "Have you looked at the cost of a Seychelles holiday -- it may be much cheaper?"

The fix for the day guest dropping by any on site resort and parking there for the day would be to charge that guest for any entry to the parking lot, dining or otherwise. Increase the day guest parking fees by length of time the space is occupied.

I've not really been on the board much in the past week but this wasn't the point of my post at all. If you charge people $24 per day at the deluxe resorts, WDW better make sure they have a premium, reserved area so that those paying for the premium service recieve it. Should day guests pay --- I don't know.... but if hotel guests pay there should be a spot set aside for them. Definitely enforce the 3 hour max to prevent park cheapskates from spending the day at MK or EP and tow if necessary for those who aren't paying. But if I come back to the resort where I've paid a premium for parking and there are no spots that is not cool at all. Can you even sell a service that you don't provide (in the case the lot is full)?

I've not really been on the board much in the past week but this wasn't the point of my post at all. If you charge people $24 per day at the deluxe resorts, WDW better make sure they have a premium, reserved area so that those paying for the premium service recieve it. Should day guests pay --- I don't know.... but if hotel guests pay there should be a spot set aside for them. Definitely enforce the 3 hour max to prevent park cheapskates from spending the day at MK or EP and tow if necessary for those who aren't paying. But if I come back to the resort where I've paid a premium for parking and there are no spots that is not cool at all. Can you even sell a service that you don't provide (in the case the lot is full)?

Yea if there's no spots it should be free valet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter