Pain arguing facts with onsite only people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigredNole

DIS Veteran
On another site, I get argued with when I tell them I get offsite accommodations for 90% off of Disney's best prices for equivalent accommodations. They blindly argue different season, different this or that. They even argue when you prove them wrong.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, I gathered the best possible price for room availability for 7-nights. It was a 2BR at SSR resort for Sept 15-22. With Disney discount, the cost was $4,944. My 3BR/3BA at Reunion resort is $550. I have gotten 2BR at WBC for $550 and a 2BR at OLR for $710. Then running points calculations for DVC renters @$12 per points nets the lowest price at $just under $3,000 and those rooms are extremely limited. The next set would be $3444. They still want to argue that I am not saving 80+% ($550/$3444).

It is sad they simply do not face the facts that I am saving at least 80% for equivalent accommodations.

I'm an on-site only person, but I would never attack someone for vacationing how they please. In terms of saving money, you are 100% correct. My argument against off-site are the perks, which is invaluable. Sorry you had such a negative experience, but I think it's best to ignore them and do as you like. Who cares what they think?

I'm an on-site only person, but I would never attack someone for vacationing how they please. In terms of saving money, you are 100% correct. My argument against off-site are the perks, which is invaluable. Sorry you had such a negative experience, but I think it's best to ignore them and do as you like. Who cares what they think?

Agree. I really don't care what someone else thinks or how they choose to spend their vacation. If someone wants my opinion, I'm happy to offer, but if they want to argue it then they've pretty much lost my interest.

I'm a dedicated off site person, for so many reasons, but each to their own.

Why would you stress yourself out arguing with people? I view staying onsite as an emotional decision. No amount of arguing, spread sheets or "explaining" will change a person's mind when they make a decision using their heart over their head. This also goes for the Disney Dining Plan. People don't care that they are paying more because of the value that they perceive by staying onsite or prepaying their meals.

As a DVC member, I stay onsite most of the time. As a bargain hunter, I end up staying offsite about every other year. Both are great vacations.

It can go both ways. So many people sign the praises of the Disney Springs resorts as being so affordable. Yeah, once you add in their fees and how they too charge for parking, I can usually stay at a Disney value for less.

Sure by going dollar for dollar you can get great deals off site. But for many (myself included) other things come in to play. No point in arguing about it.

Just wanted to add that the Reunion resort looks very nice, but it is not located where I like to stay. That also goes into value, if not price. For me even a nice cheap resort doesn't work if it is not nearer Disney property. And that is a lot of the cost of the Disney resorts, the location.

Last edited:
The argument is often in regards to whats equal to what. Is Reunion really equal to SSR? It's subjective. I wouldn't equate the two for a variety of reasons. What it comes down to is whats important to you in your vacation vs whats important to others. If its just the room then perhaps they're equal. If its the resort itself, the location, various perks then they may not be. For me, I would not equate the two.

On their website it shows the best deal at $124/nt. How are you able to book the Reunion for $79 a night? Is that with or without the 11.5% resort fee although great deal either way.

I stay on site all the time for reasons other than price. I ABSOLUTELY know I could stay off site cheaper. I would never argue with any one over it. Not worth the hassle. You know you save a ton of money and you are happy off site. Nothing else matters.

Our next trip is during free dining. Cannot save enough offsite to come close to the discount of free dining for 4 adults. Staying onsite at a Value. Even if I could find a hotel at 50-75% lower it still doesn't come close. We fly and use DME so no parking fees at resort or at parks.

No one ever is going to change someone else's mind through an argument. For me...personally, I wouldn't want to stay at a site that only charged $550 for the week. That sounds like a dumpy place and not quality mattresses, surroundings, safety etc. But that's my opinion. I don't care what anyone else thinks. And neither should you or anyone else.

onsite die hard believe they are getting soo many perks, but in reality they are paying for it, deluxe aren’t even close to really deluxe properties. Disney hotels are beautiful with amazing themes, but overpriced like everything else inside the bubble.

No one ever is going to change someone else's mind through an argument. For me...personally, I wouldn't want to stay at a site that only charged $550 for the week. That sounds like a dumpy place and not quality mattresses, surroundings, safety etc. But that's my opinion. I don't care what anyone else thinks. And neither should you or anyone else.

Well that is not necessarily true ....

I have stayed in a 2 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $600 for a week more than once, and a 1 bedroom for $350 for a week more than once. WBC is practically on Disney property, security, more amenities than most Disney hotels, inside hallways with the building locked unless you have a key. Disney would charge me that much for one nice in a "deluxe" hotel. And this can be done at many nice resorts.

I have paid $700 for a week at AllStar Music .... beds so bad we rolled to middle, horrible service, police called to room down hall from me several times, room faced parking lot full of 18 wheelers, looked like a truck stop.

You have to do your homework, research resorts, research neighborhoods and know the different ways you can get discounted rooms.

I stay onsite and offsite. I know when I stay onsite I am paying highly inflated rates but for some trips that is what works. Everyone should do what is best for them and their trip but I think what OP was saying is that others were basically calling them a liar with the rates they were quoting. You absolutely can get great deals at very nice resorts, that is a fact .... that was all OP was trying to say.

On another site, I get argued with when I tell them I get offsite accommodations for 90% off of Disney's best prices for equivalent accommodations. They blindly argue different season, different this or that. They even argue when you prove them wrong.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, I gathered the best possible price for room availability for 7-nights. It was a 2BR at SSR resort for Sept 15-22. With Disney discount, the cost was $4,944. My 3BR/3BA at Reunion resort is $550. I have gotten 2BR at WBC for $550 and a 2BR at OLR for $710. Then running points calculations for DVC renters @$12 per points nets the lowest price at $just under $3,000 and those rooms are extremely limited. The next set would be $3444. They still want to argue that I am not saving 80+% ($550/$3444).

It is sad they simply do not face the facts that I am saving at least 80% for equivalent accommodations.

I stayed a week at the Wyndham Cypress Palms timeshare in a 1 BR villa two summers ago. It had a king sized bed, a Jacuzzi tub, a fold out couch, a lanai porch, a full kitchen, a dining room area, in-room laundry, no resort fees and free parking ... all for $212 including taxes. For the whole week. It's no Grand Floridian (as I see multiple times in your signature) but was also not "dumpy" in any way shape or form.

You can't argue the savings but some people will simply not consider most off-site options as being equivalent.

To me I would tend to agree it's not really apples to apples (closest would be swan/dolphin)

Okay. You win!

Well didn't take too long for the argument to start. However, if you really want to stir it up, post on the Disney Resorts thread. I think most of the regulars here are of like mind.

I enjoy the superior value and quality of my offsite resort, but I prefer to let the Disney folks do their thing. Helps keep my resort affordable and accessible.

Well didn't take too long for the argument to start. However, if you really want to stir it up, post on the Disney Resorts thread. I think most of the regulars here are of like mind.

I enjoy the superior value and quality of my offsite resort, but I prefer to let the Disney folks do their thing. Helps keep my resort affordable and accessible.
You're right. Everyone else is wrong. Now you can bask in the glow of your superior intellect. Is that better?

People have different opinions on just about anything. If you want to discuss the merits and drawbacks of onsite vs. offsite, then have at it. If you insist that yours is the only correct POV, you're going to draw flak. IMO, you're comparing apples and oranges. Some people like apples and some don't mind paying more for oranges.

As you can see from my signature I'm onsite and offsite.
My last offsite stay was at a rental house April 2017.
Yes price was very reasonable compared to Disney prices.
However I then had to purchase a number of items for the house such as toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap... seriously basic stuff that I would have assumed were provided.
Those things certainly add up.
They did provide a few bath towels and bedding but we then had to wash it if we wanted clean towels.
We also had to wash everything before we left and we had to clean the whole house. It didn't have to be pristine because they were having professional cleaners come in prior to the next guest but if something was not easily cleaned by them then we cwouldn't get our security deposit back.
Oh and we had to take out the garbage and what do you know? We had to purchase garbage bags....
So there was so much time used up that could have just been done by housekeeping if staying onsite.
Plus we ended up renting a car to drive down because we needed something bigger than we normally drive.
We then had to pay for gas to get around there.
We also had to pay $20 per day to park at the theme parks and that's per vehicle which we had 3.
In the parks we only ate at QS because TS would have pushed us way over the limit to keep it a "cheap" trip.
Overall I prefer to stay onsite especially when Disney is all I'm there for.
I only have myself to pay for so the room cost is split, I like getting a dining plan, and I take advantage of EMH. Not to mention I prefer to fly but certainly don't want to rent a car once I get down there so DME is great.

Certainly not trying to argue with anyone that does choose to stay offsite.
Whatever floats your boat but both are gonna cost in varying ways.

Last edited:
I agree that staying offsite is generally far cheaper, and that you can get a similar level of hotel for much less usually. However I don’t think there’s any way that a four star hotel offsite can be compared to any of the Disney hotels that are four stars. The Disney hotels are immaculately themed, and have generally more desirable locations. There are huge feature pools that most of the offsite hotels don’t have, and the transport system tends to be better than offsite.

I do also think that when you factor in free dining, Disney hotels may not be that much more expensive. But generally, I don’t think that Disney hotels are chosen because of their cost - they are chosen because of their experience - the facilities, the theming, and the location among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter